The Movie Forums Top 100 of All-Time Refresh: Countdown

→ in
Tools    

That elusive hide-and-seek cow is at it again
"Trouble" is a funny way to spell "typos." But I've made this distinction before and it's (see!) either never remembered or never believed, so I give up.

Anyway, this thread got pretty far afield. I'll just issue a blanket petition that any linguistic quibbles (and I'll abide by this, too) go in post or profile comments unless they have a really good reason to be in here, since we've already got a bunch of people talking about how hard the thread is to keep up with!

Right here in River City!

Really, I didn't make it past the first word before quoting. Not sure why I kept all of it. Maybe just to pretend I'm following along here and had something worthy to offer. No. I didn't. Still don't. That ends with "T" and rhymes with "P" and that stands for Pool!

The trick is not minding
Right here in River City!

Really, I didn't make it past the first word before quoting. Not sure why I kept all of it. Maybe just to pretend I'm following along here and had something worthy to offer. No. I didn't. Still don't. That ends with "T" and rhymes with "P" and that stands for Pool!
Oh yes we’ve got trouble!

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
Heat and American History X are both movies that I watched expecting not to like either, but I was surprised to find how much I liked both movies. However, neither movie was even considered for my list.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
Were people just looking at the old list when they compiled their lists here? More than I thought showing up from that old one.

I used the old list, (as well as a few other lists from the Lists section), to make a watchlist of movies to watch for this countdown, but when I compiled my list, I never kept notes or looked at the lists again to see what movies came from what lists, so it didn't affect my final list at all.

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
Yes, and that is why on this site, as well as the IMDb community, there is a strong contingent that holds movies from about 1999 in such high regard, I believe. There are a group of longtime members here who were between sixteen and twenty-one years old around the turn of the 21st Century. The good, new movies they saw at that time were very impactful, partially because they were burgeoning film fans who had likely never even seen the great movies that were ten or twenty years old at that time, much less the ones that were fifty or sixty years old. Today in their thirties even if they have broadened their base of film knowledge in the past twenty years there is an emotional and nostalgic pull for those first movies that made them film fans.

I am one of these people. But I do still believe 1999 was a great year for movies, and I don't think it's just my age.

I think that this phenomenon of liking the movies you liked when you were getting into film at an impressionable age isn't confined to one particular age group - I've often thought that people twenty years older have a disproportionate love of seventies films.

But I think the key thing is that this late-nineties coming of age of film fans coincided with the rise of the internet and that has somehow cemented these films more into the canon than might have happened without it.

I'll just throw Les enfants du paradis out there in response to the clue as well. Would love to see it make the countdown but doubt it will now.

In regard to The Boondock Saints, I was 38-years-old when I saw it and no matter what others movies I like, I loved this movie because I thought it was hilarious, action-packed, smart, and just all-around great stuff.

I haven't seen A Woman Under the Influence but it sounds excellent. I haven't seen a Cassavetes-directed movie yet, only moves he's acted in. But I am intrigued. It took me years to watch Ingmar Bergman films on a list of well-respected directors, and I loved everything I saw by him. I'll get to Cassavetes when my life unclutters enough.

I loved Terminator 2: Judgment Day just as much as the first one. Neither of these two above made my list.

Heat and American History X---I've seen both and they are fine movies but again, neither made my list. Since the subject was brought up, my reasoning behind my list is my favorite movies, and mostly movies that I'm just flat-out entertained by or I think are great and worth watching over and over.

My list is still:
(19)The Searchers (96)
(1)To Kill a Mockingbird (85)

As for the hint, hmm, maybe Lust for Life and The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe? The first because Van Gogh's art wasn't really appreciated during his lifetime, the second because it includes a faun named Mr. Tumnus? On second thought, nah!

Guess-timation strike point : Edvard Munch

Guess-timation rendezvous point : Andre Rublev

The only possible, correct answer :

Tomorrow's hint:

Every artist's life story: first panned, then fauned over.
Frida
Pan's Labyrinth

• 89 points
  • 6 lists
68. Pan's Labyrinth

Director

Guillermo del Toro, 2006

Starring

Ivana Baquero, Maribel Verdú, Sergi López, Doug Jones

• 91 points
  • 5 lists
67. Andrei Rublev

Director

Andrei Tarkovsky, 1966

Starring

Anatoliy Solonitsyn, Ivan Lapikov, Nikolay Grinko, Nikolai Sergeyev

While everybody instantly got faun.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Yeah, I figured that was gonna be too easy, but I couldn't resist the pun (multiple people asking me if I misspelled it was particularly delightful), and I'm okay with one of the films being easy sometimes. This was a particularly hard one to link up, too.

We rock. I like both but didn't vote for either. Really need to see Pan's again. Andrei was my second Tarkovsky and I didn't respond to it at all. I did second go around. It is absolutely gorgeous.