The Movie Forums Top 100 of All-Time Refresh: Countdown

→ in
Tools    

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
I think people try and over think the frogs. A verse from Exodus is shown throughout. In Exodus, God's people are in bondage. He sends plagues to free us from our slave master. The plagues free us, but often only for a spell.

Magnolia is all about people enslaved to their circumstances. They have some moments of clarity, relief from their plagues. But that will never be the end of it. We carry it with us

The frogs are just very on the nose with this concept. That's why a lot of people don't like the film. I love it though.

Thanks for the explanation. I figured that it was probably a religious thing, but it just didn't work for me.

A Woman Under the Influence is a very good movie, but I didn't consider it for my list. I didn't expect it to make the countdown, but it's a nice surprise.

Terminator 2: Judgment Day is my favorite of the Terminator movies, but it's another movie that I didn't consider for this list. However it was #20 on my Top Action Movies list.

I'm so glad "A Woman Under the Influence" made the list, but upset that I goofed and put it at #9, instead of my #8. It might have moved it up a few spots. My fault...

Gena Rowlands delivers my favorite performance on screen.. I'm getting chills right now thinking about it. My gosh!

This (and other Cassavetes movies) are on YouTube, in full, for free... I'd also give a 2nd viewing to any Cassavetes movies - he doesn't spoonfeed his audience, and every time I watch this movie, I discover something new, in the background, foreground, etc.

I actually think Nick is the one with illness, not Mabel. Watch out for the little misinterpretations, usually just by chance that leads to more chaos. Mabel has her anxieties, but look why. She isn't the problem. Listen to the quiet conversations (during more chaos) they have, when Mabel gives Nick (and the audience) an introduction to their relationship. A lot of their lives, and this movie develops by happenstance. I don't know how much "spoiler" I can give. I don't know if Nick loves Mabel, he can't answer when he's asked. Obviously a shot-gun wedding. Nick and his mother drive Mabel to appear crazy, because the shrink is there, who is another problem.

Watch the scene when they have "the kids party". A lot of things just happen, and with the mother-in-law badgering the daughter with questions, she answers incorrectly, probably out of fear, and in part, to please her grandma, being lured. "Why is this child naked??!?!?!".

Mabel is a non-conformist who hasn't lost her humanity. She goes to pick her up kids, and asks people walking by for the time. "You have a watch!" as they ignore her.. The passer-bys who appear normal are the crazy, robotic inhumane people. I highly recommend Cassavetes' other stuff..

I think Nick loves Mabel. Just look at the way he looks at her when he's calm. That's a look of love.

Woman under influence : the only that id seen from cassavetes so far, and it didn't work out. Still want to revisit it sometimes and watch other of his.

T2 judgement day : fun nostalgic film. love it when i was toddler but kinda lose it magic after years.

---
Guess-timation : Inception

Tomorrow's hint:

All anyone remembers is the street corner.
. . . .Lifeboat

. . . . . and

Run Silent, Run Deep

. . . . . .

(seriously though, Sunset Blvd. & Mulholland Dr. which have both already been mentioned)

A system of cells interlinked
Do the Right Thing and Inception

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
For some reason I don't think Inception is making this list. I'll guess Mulholland here though and yeah, probably Singin in the Rain

• 86 points
  • 5 lists
70. Heat

Director

Michael Mann, 1995

Starring

Al Pacino, Robert De Niro, Val Kilmer, Jon Voight

• 89 points
  • 5 lists
69. American History X

Director

Tony Kaye, 1998

Starring

Edward Norton, Edward Furlong, Beverly D'Angelo, Elliott Gould

2 great movies again ^^

Heat was another on my shortlist but ultimately got cut.
That street level firefight is a masterclass in filmmaking.

The clue makes total sense now for Heat (and American History X which a lot guessed)

Both fabulous movies. There are few crime/heist movies as good as Heat.

American History X is essential viewing for youngsters. Especially in today's times.

Neither in my list again, but kudos to the people who named them.

I've seen both.

I don't like American History X. I don't like the way it tries to humanize Derek and make him seem somehow redeemable. As for Heat, whatever street corner is being referenced in the clue is more than I remember about it, but I only saw it one time and that was during its theatrical run.

My Ballot:
5. Her (#94)
9. Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind (#92)
25. Clay Pigeons (One-Pointers)

We've gone on holiday by mistake
Dammit I was just thinking Heat but decided not to guess given my pathetic previous attempts.

Heat I've not heard of that film before until just now.

I've heard of American X but never watched it. Though with the shocking rise of fascism it seems more relevant than ever.

Heat I've not heard of that film before until just now.
I do hope this is a joke.

I've heard of American X but never watched it, though with the rise of fascism it seems more relevant than ever.
You're missing out.