The Movie Forums Top 100 of All-Time Refresh: Countdown

→ in
Tools    

Halloween making it, maybe an outside chance. Beverly Hills, nah won't happen.

*the above is only a guess, I claim no insider information and I'm not psychic..................that I know of.

Pretty sure Halloween will make the list.

Magnolia is another movie that I watched for this countdown. I liked the concept of the movie, with everyone being linked to each other in some way, (It reminded me of the short-lived TV series "Touch" starring Kiefer Sutherland.), but the movie itself was a bit of a letdown. I liked the movie up until
WARNING: "SPOILERS about "Magnolia"!!!" spoilers below
the part with the frogs, then it lost me. Where the he!! did all those frogs come from? And why?
I just didn't get it.

I've tried watching Metropolis a few times, but I've never been able to get more than about 30 minutes into it. I just get bored with it and end up turning it off.
I think people try and over think the frogs. A verse from Exodus is shown throughout. In Exodus, God's people are in bondage. He sends plagues to free us from our slave master. The plagues free us, but often only for a spell.

Magnolia is all about people enslaved to their circumstances. They have some moments of clarity, relief from their plagues. But that will never be the end of it. We carry it with us

The frogs are just very on the nose with this concept. That's why a lot of people don't like the film. I love it though.

At least she's committed?

Black Swan could fit
So could Splendor in the Grass

Oooooo, clue could point to In The Realm Of The Senses, hope not though.

movies can be okay...
Madeo

. and

Ms. 45
Yeahhhhh there's no way enough people voted for either of these.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
I think people try and over think the frogs. A verse from Exodus is shown throughout. I Exodus, God's people are in bandage. He sends plagues to free us from our slave master. The plagues free us, but often only for a spell.

Magnolia is all about people enslaved to their circumstances. They have some moments of clarity, relief from their plagues. But that will never be the end of it. We carry it with us

The frogs are just very on the nose with this concept. That's why a lot of people don't like the film. I love it though.
I love it too. It's a great sequence and I love when movies throw the entire audience for a loop.

Suspect's Reviews

I think people try and over think the frogs. A verse from Exodus is shown throughout. I Exodus, God's people are in bandage. He sends plagues to free us from our slave master. The plagues free us, but often only for a spell.

Good explanation.

Also, perhaps it should be added (though I think it was also discussed previously) that a phenomenon like the raining frogs did happen. In modern day. And can happen again. It’s a weather phenomenon where the content of a lake is sucked up into a storm of sorts and it can actually rain down frogs, fish, whatever.

I think it’s nice to add, because even for the meaning behind the scene, some might find it far out and like something the movie just came up with. But instead it actually just adds to the many crazy coincidences and happenings of the film.

Yeahhhhh there's no way enough people voted for either of these.
I demand a recount - other movies stole this ...... ermmm ..... countdown!!!!

• 85 points
  • 4 lists
72. A Woman Under the Influence

Director

John Cassavetes, 1974

Starring

Peter Falk, Gena Rowlands, Fred Draper, Lady Rowlands

• 85 points
  • 7 lists
71. Terminator 2: Judgment Day

Director

James Camerson, 1991

Starring

Arnold Schwarzenegger, Linda Hamilton, Edward Furlong, Robert Patrick

Nice, A Woman Under the Influence is a great film that I watched last year. I desperately need to watch more Cassevetes.

Terminator 2 is a film I actually loved as a child. I've watched bits of it more recently and I still think it's very good. Cameron's last good film in my eyes.

30/30 seen

Like/love pretty much all of the films that appeared since my last comment (which was around #90). One more film from my list made it: my #24 film, Fellini's brilliant 8 1/2 (1963). An absolute masterpiece in my book. I might've ranked it even higher if my last viewing did not already date back a few years ago. Stunning picture!

There are three more films I have shamefully never seen yet: A Woman Under the Influence (which I strangely haven't seen even though I've seen a bunch of Cassavetes pictures already), Akira and Metropolis. The latter is probably one of the top 5 most important films I've never seen so far. I have a great DVD cut back at home though, so I'm sure I'll give it a watch whenever I find the time. I'll definitely give Akira a watch too, sooner rather than later. I'm sure I'll get to A Woman Under the Influence as well sometime, as I really like Cassavetes' films.

Seen 26/30. These appeared from my list so far:

13) Brazil (1985) - #100
24) 8 1/2 (1963) - #82
25) The Saddest Music in the World (2003) - one pointer

I don't love T2 as much as I once did and very much prefer part 1. Definitely an above average action flick still.

A Woman Under the Influence is very good but I don't quite love it. I do love Peter Falk in it.

You know what the store manager said on the day he was firing an employee, and suddenly another employee walks in drunk?

"That woman is under the influence. Terminate her too!"

I've shamefully never checked out a Cassavetes before, I really need to though.

Terminator 2 is the dictionary definition of a great Hollywood blockbuster, might have made my top 50 or 100 but didn't make my top 25.

Definitely never seen A Woman Under The Influence, never seen any Cassavetes.

Nice to see Terminator 2: Judgement Day show up - I'm one of those that prefers the previous instalment but it's still a very good sequel imo.

Seen: 23/30 (Own: 8/30)
My list:  

Faildictions (Eternal vsn 1.0):
70. The Haunting (1963)
69. Unforgiven (1992)

Thoughts!

Haven't seen a single Cassavetes, but a couple of my RT/Corrie friends have mentioned A Woman Under the Influence, Faces, and Shadows as good entry points.

As for Terminator 2, I've been a fan of the original for a long time, after seeing it on TV and VHS. I remember I saw this one in theaters with my brothers and I was blown away by it. Loved how it added to the already twisty premise, plus it had great action, great characters. I had a VHS with both films recorded and I saw both endlessly. However, with time, I've leaned more and more towards the first one as my favorite. I won't deny how great and how kickass this one is, but I tend to find its "humanization" of the Terminator a bit problematic overall. That's why it ended up on the cutting room floor of my sloppy Top 100. I'm gonna keep my hopes up for the first one to pop up later *crosses finger*

lol nice, I finally got a ballot on here, T2 is #12 on my list.

Decade Breakdown from 2020 List - Update
20s - 1
30s - 0
40s - 0
50s - 2
60s - 6
70s - 7
80s -5
90s - 7
2000s- 1
2010s - 1

20 New Movies from 2020 List