The Movie Forums Top 100 of All-Time Refresh: Countdown

→ in
Tools    

Love Star Wars and when it came out in 1977, my science fiction loving friend and I saw it six times at the cinema and I saw it one time at the drive-in. Such an iconic film and a great experience in my history of film-watching. Yet, I reserved a spot on my list for another SW movie, Ewoks: The Battle For Endor. No, I kid! I joke! As much as I love Young Frankenstein I didn't place it on my list. Only one comedy made my list and it's a pretty old one. I'm glad both of these showed, though

So far my #19 is The Searchers (96) and my #1 is To Kill a Mockingbird (85) and that's it. I've seen 18/24.

Is that that rotten fish in a can?
Pretty close, it's actually rotten fish in medicinal tablet form.

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
This is about the biggest toss-up clue that we've ever had. Really anything can show up. I hope it's two good films again!

And dear God I hope The Master doesn't make the list, but I won't be surprised if it does either.

• 81 points
  • 5 lists
76. Stand By Me

Director

Rob Reiner, 1986

Starring

Wil Wheaton, River Phoenix, Corey Feldman, Jerry O'Connell

• 82 points
  • 5 lists
75. Paris, Texas

Director

Wim Wenders, 1984

Starring

Harry Dean Stanton, Nastassja Kinski, Dean Stockwell, Hunter Carson

Jeez, now there's a slice of fried nostalgia

Stand By Me never even blipped on my radar tbh.
My List  

Haven't seen Stand By Me for more than a couple of decades, about all I can say on it really other than I'm somewhat surprised to see it turn up here - maybe it being nominated for a HOF fairly recently gave it a bit of a nudge, even if it did only finish midfield.

Paris, Texas on the other hand is a lovely watch with Harry Dean Stanton on fine form that I only rewatched recently and I'm happy to see it place on this list.

Seen: 21/26 (Own: 7/26)
My list:  

Faildictions (Eternal vsn 1.0):
74. Hana-bi (1997)
73. WALL-E (2008)

Paris, Texas was my first Wenders, he has two others I consider really great, and two others I need to revisit.

Stand by Me is possibly the apex of 80's teen genre, but that maybe selling it short as a whole.

- 26/26

- 2/25

Master of My Domain
Paris, Texas made this list?

PARIS, TEXAS??

Actually I'm really glad; great slow-burn film with two beautiful performances.

Paris, Texas was #39 on the MoFo '80s List where Stand by Me was clocked at #55.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

God only knows why I haven't seen "Paris, Texas". Everything I have read points to it being a film to love. Enough! This is going to the tippy-top of my watch list.

Love "Stand by Me" from my first watch in the theater. The perfect coming of age film and a must see for all. Not a good pair for me, for not watching the former and completely whiffing on the latter not being on my list.
------------------------------------------------------------------------

19/23 seen
1/18 on clues (I'm done here, think point has been made...)
3/25 off list

#12 Young Frankenstein (14 pts- #77)
#10 American Beauty (16 pts - #79)
#22 Harold & Maude (4 pts - #90)

And about the hint for Star Wars, my first thought when I read the hint was The Empire Strikes Back, but then I thought that must be wrong because technically,
WARNING: "SPOILER for "The Empire Strikes Back"!!!" spoilers below
Darth Vader IS his real dad,
so doesn't that mean that the hint is wrong?
WARNING: "Star Wars" spoilers below
My thinking was it's more about Uncle Owen there. I was also hoping/thinking people would decide that if either Star Wars was going to show up, it would be A New Hope first (even though weirdly it was higher than Empire last time). But I did realize after posting it that it could be pretty misleading, too.

Stand By Me was No.4 on my list

It's just a childhood classic for me, and I think it might be the peak of those 80's kids adventure films; perfectly blends comedy and tragedy, and perfectly belnds suspense with the relaxing beauty of the American wilderness. The older I get the more I realise how effectively it portrays the fears of growing up; not just surface level stuff like having more responsibilities, but more internal stuff like the fear of losing your friends and the fears of not achieving everything you anticipated during your childhood. Truly a classic.

Anyone watched Umberto D?

Paris, Texas made this list?

PARIS, TEXAS??

Actually I'm really glad; great slow-burn film with two beautiful performances.
Paris Texas is actually on the RYM top 100 too.