The Movie Forums Top 100 of All-Time Refresh: Countdown

→ in
Tools    

is thouroughly embarrassed of this old username.
Here's a question I was thinking about looking at my list. How many of your 25 have you only seen once? I have 3. I love to rewatch movies but there is so much left out there to see that many times I skip a rewatch for something new. I really value that initial watch too. Maybe more than I should considering my memory. Thoughts?

6 lmao.

I caught the surely reference, used it myself once in my old review.[/i]
I agree with your review to a point... but actually I think of Airplane! as an "expansion" to the Zero Hour! lore. So much so that I think in its addition it creates this symbiotic "point-counterpoint" to "counterpoint-point" relationship. After seeing both films, I can't see one without the other. Zero Hour! is made even more absurd in the eyes of Airplane!, and Airplane! is much more appreciated in the light of Zero Hour!. The two are made for each other and are inseparable to me. I actually get more out of watching them almost, (if not), in tandem, (if I have the time for such a double-feature block)... not in spite of each other or in argument of "which one 'did what' better."
Imagine an eye unruled by man-made laws of perspective, an eye unprejudiced by compositional logic, an eye which does not respond to the name of everything but which must know each object encountered in life through an adventure of perception. How many colors are there in a field of grass to the crawling baby unaware of 'Green'?

-Stan Brakhage

Here's a question I was thinking about looking at my list. How many of your 25 have you only seen once? I have 3. I love to rewatch movies but there is so much left out there to see that many times I skip a rewatch for something new. I really value that initial watch too. Maybe more than I should considering my memory. Thoughts?
I have watched my top 25 a few of times since their fun to watch everytime I decide to rewatch them.

I like exploring films I haven't seen
I like doing this too, especially when movies that you have seen so many times, you get that feeling that it would be nice to watch something new for a change

Welcome to the Dance: My Favorite 20 High School Movies
https://www.movieforums.com/communit...02#post2413502

Tomorrow's hint:

To what pretty place can a young man go to find those blooming skyscrapers?

Midnight Cowboy and My Fair Lady?
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Have not seen 81/2 but love Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid and have seen it many times.
Still just two making the list, with #1To Kill a Mockingbird (85) and #19 The Searchers (96). Seen 15 out of 20.

Unregistered User
Too many posts to catch up on but finally one showed up from my list

I remember trying to watch 8 1/2 many years ago and had to turn it off early. Revisited it a few years after and it pretty much blew my mind and set me off on a journey through Fellini. It also gets extra points for Claudia Cardinale!

• 79 points
  • 4 lists
80. West Side Story

Director

Robert Wise, 1961

Starring

Natalie Wood, Richard Beymer, Russ Tamblyn, Rita Moreno

• 79 points
  • 5 lists
79. American Beauty

Director

Sam Mendes, 1999

Starring

Kevin Spacey, Annette Bening, Thora Birch, Wes Bentley

I never would've guessed West Side Sotry, but I'm glad I got American Beauty right.

That movie's almost perfect, but there was a SERIOUS revealing mistake at the end.

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
I'm actually frustrated that I thought I had the clue figured out, and that I was wrong.
@Yoda did you intentionally try to make it seem like it was another movie? If so, well played!

To what pretty place can a young man go to find those blooming skyscrapers?
"Pretty" => beauty
"place can a young man go" => "go West, young man"
"blooming" => flowers
"blooming skyscrapers" => 🎵 Skyscrapers bloom in America 🎵

That last one is what I figured would give the whole game away, actually. It's at 1:24:

I never would've guessed West Side Sotry, but I'm glad I got American Beauty right.
Yeah, I smiled when I saw that. Nice job! There's a puzzle logic to spotting which kinds of words are unnecessary and focusing on those, I think, and combining those two got you there.

I'm actually frustrated that I thought I had the clue figured out, and that I was wrong.
@Yoda did you intentionally try to make it seem like it was another movie? If so, well played!
I did not, though I like to think that's the serendipity that comes with being abstract or mysterious enough.

I will say on several occasions now I've been genuinely shocked at how many other plausible answers there are for some of these. One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest is still a better answer for my first clue than The Seventh Seal. But for this one I tried pretty hard to make it clear an answer wouldn't be right unless it fit all the words in some way, since otherwise more words just means more things for people to associate films with, even if they only fit one part of the hint.

Welcome to the human race...
West Side Story is one of those classics I've seen once and generally liked but that's it. Have been meaning to revisit it, though.

American Beauty was a film I liked when I first saw it over a decade or so ago, but I revisited it earlier this year and found it intolerable. Genuinely surprised that it not made the new list but actually jumped a few places.

"Pretty" => beauty
"place can a young man go" => "go West, young man"
"blooming" => flowers
"blooming skyscrapers" => 🎵 Skyscrapers bloom in America 🎵

That last one is what I figured would give the whole game away, actually. It's at 1:24:

As soon as I saw the reveal, I knew: "there were references to songs in that hint." Now I know I would have gotten it if I had seen this movie (big musical fan).

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
Yeah, I smiled when I saw that. Nice job! There's a puzzle logic to spotting which kinds of words are unnecessary and focusing on those, I think, and combining those two got you there.

I did not, though I like to think that's the serendipity that comes with being abstract or mysterious enough.

I will say on several occasions now I've been genuinely shocked at how many other plausible answers there are for some of these. One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest is still a better answer for my first clue than The Seventh Seal. But for this one I tried pretty hard to make it clear an answer wouldn't be right unless it fit all the words in some way, since otherwise more words just means more things for people to associate films with, even if they only fit one part of the hint.
Kane just made so much sense with that clue!

Thanks. I actually work on lyrics and poems a lot so I guess that helped.

Yeah, I can see that now. Heh. What a dramatic drop, though. I guess that's the one element outside the hints that can inform them, whether it feels like the right "time." Not that there aren't liable to be a few surprises like that...

I've always had a fondness for West Side Story but I'm a little surprised (pleasantly) to see it make this list tbh.

Not seen American Beauty for a number of years but remember it as being an ok watch, somewhat surprised to see it not only hold on to a place but rise slightly if I'm honest.

Seen: 17/22 (Own: 4/22)
My list:  

Faildictions (Eternal vsn 1.0):
78. Rififi (1955)
77. A Clockwork Orange (1971)