Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

Animal Kingdom (2010)
There’s nobody scarier than Jacki Weaver.

Re-watch. Based on true stories. Unbelievable. So good.

So good. Witherspoon’s best movie IMO is Walk the Line. This one is second. Re-watch & it’s an excellent movie. Excellent book too.

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
The Golden Glove - 7/10
I saw the poster, and thought it was odd-looking, but intriguing. When I found out Margarethe Tiesel was in it, I knew I had to see it... Full of gore, which I hate, but a pretty good movie.

One of the 1st movies to go straight to streaming in HBOMax. Underwhelming, but might take a 2nd look.
Watched it again & liked it better.

Umpteenth rewatch...ran into this movie accidentally channel surfing over the weekend and had to watch it again, A forty year old movie that still makes me laugh out loud.

Re-watch. Based on true stories. Unbelievable. So good.
This film messed me up. I thought it was disturbing, but didn't know it was based on a true story. When I read it was shortly afterwards, it blew the "comfort" of fiction to hell and damn, it messed me up way more.

Animal Kingdom (2010)

Been meaning to watch this, but haven't gotten around to it. I'm seeing the TNT show, which is good I guess, but I've heard the film is much more... raw.

This film messed me up. I thought it was disturbing, but didn't know it was based on a true story. When I read it was shortly afterwards, it blew the "comfort" of fiction to hell and damn, it messed me up way more.
True stories. Plural. In different states in America. Really unbelievable.

Been meaning to watch this, but haven't gotten around to it. I'm seeing the TNT show, which is good I guess, but I've heard the film is much more... raw.
Excellent movie.

Burn After Reading - 7/10
Saw it ages ago and couldn’t remember it but had that feeling that I didn’t enjoy it all that much. Second time around and found it hilarious.

Saw it ages ago and couldn’t remember it but had that feeling that I didn’t enjoy it all that much. Second time around and found it hilarious.
I think this film is brilliantly hilarious. It's in the middle of my Coen ranking, but that's only because they've made so many great films.

Heard a lot about this film and finally had the time to visit it. Interesting subject matter that drew me in, because I had relatives that lived this life for a time. From this, the film isn't far off in my mind. But some of the scenarios are so far out of common sense (i.e. - the kids wandering, etc...), it took a little away.

Positives, out weigh this. Loved the presence of the circumstances the characters were dealt, which some never really delve into. Another positive was the intermittent crisis/personnal issue that was sprinkled throughout. That is what held my interest and made this a thought provoking tale. Now, a beer...

Yeah, 8/10

Victim of The Night
I never watched it because of the lukewarm to poor response so I finally popped it in last year and I thought it was really good. Don't know what people didn't like about it.

I never watched it because of the lukewarm to poor response so I finally popped it in last year and I thought it was really good. Don't know what people didn't like about it.
It was mostly that it was their follow up to No Country and they went for something substantially lower brow and silly.

I loved it!

Yeah the film is pretty lame but I have to give it 3/5 for Randy Quaid's performance. Or were you disappointed it wasn't 5/5? 🤣
Lame? We have desperately differing views on what constitutes lame ha. It's required Xmas viewing imo.

101 Favorite Movies (2019)

I think it's definitely anti-war.

I mean, MAJOR SPOILERS
WARNING: spoilers below
after delivering his letter, almost dying, losing his friend, having to kill multiple people (including one with his bare hands), and various other traumas, he delivers the message and the attitude toward him is . . .okay, well, we'll all probably die tomorrow.

I think that the bittersweet coda with Blake's brother gives some emotional closure, but despite him achieving his mission the ending is in no way triumphant. Only exhausting.
...that being said though, at the risk of nit-picking, I don't think I can quite say that I felt 1917 was an anti-war film on the whole (and for clarification, I in no way mean that as any sort of criticism of the film, since there's more than one "right" way to make a War movie, after all). Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying it felt like borderline pro-war propaganda like Sergeant York or anything, but when I compare it to something like Paths Of Glory, a movie that objectively feels anti-war all-around, 1917 doesn't necessarily feel anti-war so much as it just feels honest about the overall unpleasant nature of armed conflict, since the negative aspects of that phenomenon are so inherent and obvious, any movie that tries to portray war with any amount of honesty is bound to depict that negativity to some degree (so you could say that I feel the opposite of Godard's famous quote on this subject). And, even though he didn't get much gratitude for it, I think that just the fact that Schofield ends up succeeding and saves so many lives keeps the film from feeling 100% anti-war in the end, and, despite the human cost of World War I it portrays along the way, it still partly ends up being a tribute to the heroism he displays, something that an anti-war film wouldn't really have, y'know?

'Sound of Metal' (2020)

Dir.: Darius Marder

Fantastic film. Riz Ahmed plays a metal drummer losing his hearing. Olivia Cooke plays his girlfriend. One of the best of the year. Derek Cianfrance (Blue Valentine, The Place beyond the Pines) co wrote the script, and his fine balance of drama and tragedy shines through.

The performances are noteworthy, Ahmed giving an absolute blinder. The sound design is predictably stark given the subject. Hard to review without spoilers but the themes of rehabilitation and self destruction are evident. Marder also wrote 'The Place Beyond the Pines', so it's clear that this team are a tight-knit group who believe in each others work.

It's a film that would have been overly melodramatic and sentimental in the wrong hands, but the direction is absolutely pitch perfect, and the last 15 minutes or so had me in bits.