The Movie Forums Top 100 of All-Time Refresh: Countdown

→ in
Tools    

I'm thinking One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Next. That's the only movie with a bird in the title that I think has a good sporting chance. I think the next one will be Memento, but I'm only guessing that first because it's my favorite movie about confusion.

Lol'd so hard...
Imagine an eye unruled by man-made laws of perspective, an eye unprejudiced by compositional logic, an eye which does not respond to the name of everything but which must know each object encountered in life through an adventure of perception. How many colors are there in a field of grass to the crawling baby unaware of 'Green'?

-Stan Brakhage

So far, I've got one to appear already and that's The Searchers at #96. I'll save where it landed on my list till all is said and done, mainly because I'm a lazy MoFo! Guess the clue, I wonder if it's To Kill a Mockingbird? I hope not because it would way too high on the list, IMHO, plus the bird is yellow, which mockingbirds aren't. I've seen 10 out of 14 films so far. Good list going here.

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
E.T. and Harold and Maude are both good. Eternal Sunshine I don't love. Akira neither, but it probably deserves another watch. Toy Story 2 is better than Toy Story. I haven't seen Rosemary's Baby.

I can't keep up with his thread!

Welcome to the human race...
I'm interested in hearing more about this.
I think if there's any kind of arc to the entire series, it's about Woody ultimately moving on from being a child's plaything. The second film first teases the prospect through the museum exhibit that he is initially tempted towards, which means that Buzz (who had to be convinced to accept that he was a toy by Woody in the first film) has to talk him into returning to Andy. In this context, the supposedly final third film settles for narrative stagnation as Woody is the only toy to immediately reject the daycare centre and he is readily validated by the reveal that it is a dystopia - compared to his arcs in the first two films, he has no growth as a character as he exists merely to be the hero who saves the day without any genuine internal conflict. As a result, it is the fourth film that plays like the proper conclusion to Woody's journey as he realises that Bonnie doesn't want to play with him and has to come to terms with that, first by trying to keep Forky in line, then in meeting Gabby (a genuinely sympathetic antagonist compared to the likes of Stinky Pete or Lotso who is in a similar predicament) and eventually in reuniting with Bo Peep and realising the perks of being an independent toy. In light of this, it is hard for me to see the third one as being a particularly satisfactory conclusion and that the fourth one, while not a perfect movie or anything, at least makes more sense as a coda of sorts for the series.

Unregistered User
Enjoying the list so far. A few surprises (ET in particular) already although none from my list has shown up yet. Im now worrying about 2 titles in particular.

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
I'm sure I saw Toy Story as a kid but I never remembered much about it. I then watched it last year and it was really good. Look forward to rewatching number 2 (had to have seen that as a kid too, but don't remember) and 3 and 4.

Have not yet seen Akira.

Looking at the clue, I now wish to offer my guesses:

Birdman or (The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance)
I Am Curious (Yellow)

Love Akira and glad it made the list. Kinda expected it to.

Anyways, time for a revelation. I love animation movies, but I haven't watched a single Toy Story movie. I have always been put off by them, every time they come on the telly, and I don't know why.

Tomorrow's hint:

The Hangover and To Kill a Mockingbird?
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

If The Hangover is on the list, my faith in all of you will diminish

For what it is worth, Toy Story finished first on the MoFo Animation List and at #29 on the MoFo '90s list while Akira placed at #29 on the Animation List, #55 on the MoFo Sci-Fi List, and #60 on the MoFo '80s List.

Master of My Domain
Y'all. That hint is obviously referring to Birdemic: Shock and Terror, one of the most influential horror films of the 21st century.

A system of cells interlinked
Here's something semi-relevant to that argument:

That's an interesting argument, one that I think about a lot. If enough people misinterpret a character/plot point in a film, is it the fault of that film, even if there is textual evidence which indicates otherwise? For example, many people wrongly interpret the first half of Full Metal Jacket as lightheartedly funny while not recognizing that the insults Sgt. Hartman uses are done to dehumanize the men into killers. Or, with the pic up above, many people wrongly idolize those characters and call them cool, while failing to recognizing that they're ****ty people who shouldn't be idolized.[/i]?
Emphasis mine. I will add a character to this list: Amy Elliot Dunne.

While doing a little light research on Fincher's Gone Girl over the weekend, I was surprised to find quite a few people that were applauding this character's conduct, even calling her a hero. Their angle was that she was a shining example of a woman pushing back against toxic masculinity. Dunne is one of the most depraved sociopaths put on film, IMO.

• 77 points
  • 5 lists
86. Dazed and Confused

Director

Richard Linklater, 1993

Starring

Jason London, Rory Cochrane, Wiley Wiggins, Sasha Jenson

• 77 points
  • 5 lists
85. To Kill a Mockingbird

Director

Robert Mulligan, 1962