Holiday Movie Hall of Fame

Tools    

The Year Without a Santa Claus
(1974)

The Year Without a Santa Claus (1974)...I believe my wife has this on VHS, so I'll have to fire up the ole VCR and watch it on tape!
Whoops, I was wrong! Not only did we not have an old VHS tape of this, I hadn't even seen it before. So it's always cool to see something you hadn't never seen, so I'm glad it was nominated.

I have seen other of Rankin/Bass Christmas themed films, my favorite being
Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer (1964) I'll try not comparing that to The Year Without a Santa Claus but it won't be easy as RtRNR is a bonafide charmer & classic.

I didn't care for TYWaSC, I didn't like the characters (I thought they were without charm) or the journey they went on (the South Town was boring) and most of the songs were weak. I think one big reason I didn't like it was the time period in which it was made 1974. I mean it just felt like it was trying to reflect the changing social times of 1974 to much. Whilst RtRNR was made in 1964 and was less about the then current social stuff and more about the story of Santa, Elves, Reindeer and the North Pole...I guess I couldn't help but compare these two animated special from Rankin/Bass.

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
sorry to hear it didn't work for you, CR, it happens.

Watched Rise of the Guardians last night and will be getting a review up in the next day or so

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.

The Year Without a Santa Claus
(1974)

Whoops, I was wrong! Not only did we not have an old VHS tape of this, I hadn't even seen it before. So it's always cool to see something you hadn't never seen, so I'm glad it was nominated.

I have seen other of Rankin/Bass Christmas themed films, my favorite being
Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer (1964) I'll try not comparing that to The Year Without a Santa Claus but it won't be easy as RtRNR is a bonafide charmer & classic.

I didn't care for TYWaSC, I didn't like the characters (I thought they were without charm) or the journey they went on (the South Town was boring) and most of the songs were weak. I think one big reason I didn't like it was the time period in which it was made 1974. I mean it just felt like it was trying to reflect the changing social times of 1974 to much. Whilst RtRNR was made in 1964 and was less about the then current social stuff and more about the story of Santa, Elves, Reindeer and the North Pole...I guess I couldn't help but compare these two animated special from Rankin/Bass.

I'm sorry to hear that you didn't like The Year Without a Santa Claus. I thought about nominating either Rudolph or Frosty, but I just figured that they were too well known, and most people have probably seen them many times before. I tried to pick something that I thought was a little bit less well known.

I'm sorry to hear that you didn't like The Year Without a Santa Claus. I thought about nominating either Rudolph or Frosty, but I just figured that they were too well known, and most people have probably seen them many times before. I tried to pick something that I thought was a little bit less well known.
Like I said in my review, I'm glad to have watched it as I'd never seen it before.

Rise of the Guardians

North: [cracks knuckles] Now we are getting down to tacks of brass.

This was a nice little surprise. Not necessarily a new favorite for the Holiday Tradition, but definitely an enjoyable excursion into the Holiday Mythos.
With Chris Pine doing Jack Frost and, for some odd reason, I found myself enjoying North even more so when I realized it was Alec Baldwin doing the voice. Not sure why, but I did.

This was a good variation on the worlds of the Tooth Fairy, Sandman, Easter Bunny, Santa, Jack Frost and, for the bad guy; The Boogey Man. Adjusting the occasional nuance in each of their personas to splash a little freshness and flash to these age-old denizens of children's imagination. In fact, there's a bit of a Super Hero Team vibe that is added to the mix that kinda actually works for this film. Making for some fun and excitement in stopping Pitch from scaring all the kids, everywhere and thereby getting them to stop believing in make-believe.

The Muppet Christmas Carol (1992)

Gosh it's getting hard to find images to use for my write-ups, I had to screen shot that one. But I wanted that image because that was my favorite part of the movie...the narration by Gonzo (aka Dickens) and Rizo the Rat. When I was a kid and watched The Muppets Gonzo was my favorite so I suppose it's no surprise I still like his character the most. I'm not the biggest fan of Kermit the Frog, though Miss Piggy is funny.

I liked this! Michael Caine as Scrooge was excellent. I really need to see more of his movies as every time I see Michael Caine in a movie I'm impressed with his acting ability.

I thought this was even better than The Muppet Movie as it was more intricate and the personalty of the muppets could really shine here. The sets looked great, I mean just look at that screen shot I used!

Good stuff!

Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot from 2020-12-10 19-10-03.jpg
Views:	203
Size:	47.6 KB
ID:	69994  

The Muppet Christmas Carol (1992)

Gosh it's getting hard to find images to use for my write-ups, I had to screen shot that one. But I wanted that image because that was my favorite part of the movie...the narration by Gonzo (aka Dickens) and Rizo the Rat. When I was a kid and watched The Muppets Gonzo was my favorite so I suppose it's no surprise I still like his character the most. I'm not the biggest fan of Kermit the Frog, though Miss Piggy is funny.

I liked this! Michael Caine as Scrooge was excellent. I really need to see more of his movies as every time I see Michael Caine in a movie I'm impressed with his acting ability.

I thought this was even better than The Muppet Movie as it was more intricate and the personalty of the muppets could really shine here. The sets looked great, I mean just look at that screen shot I used!

Good stuff!

I was never a big fan of Gonzo, but he was okay. I just thought he was a bit too weird, even for a Muppet. I like Kermit, but he's not my favorite either. I always hated Miss Piggy.

My favorite Muppets are Rowlf the Dog, Fozzie Bear, and Statler and Waldorf.

I was never a big fan of Gonzo, but he was okay. I just thought he was a bit too weird, even for a Muppet. I like Kermit, but he's not my favorite either. I always hated Miss Piggy.

My favorite Muppets are Rowlf the Dog, Fozzie Bear, and Statler and Waldorf.
Fozzie Bear was another favorite of mine. Rowlf the Dog was good too, but didn't get as much airtime, so I don't have much of a memory of him. Statler and Waldorf are those the old men hecklers? If so I always loved them on the show, totally funny, but their role as the Marleys in the movie didn't do to much for me.

Fozzie Bear was another favorite of mine. Rowlf the Dog was good too, but didn't get as much airtime, so I don't have much of a memory of him. Statler and Waldorf are those the old men hecklers? If so I always loved them on the show, totally funny, but their role as the Marleys in the movie didn't do to much for me.
Bunsen Honeydew and Beaker were great... there were a lot of muppet characters that had a good sense of humor.

I'm with CR. Statler and Waldorf were great on the show and not so much in the Christmas Carol.
I've always loved Animal and Sam Eagle was an excellent straight man for the fun-filled chaos of the Muppet world/Theater.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds

A film that I watch both Christmas and Halloween seasons. I loved this film as a kid and still marvel at the animation today. With catchy songs, creative character designs and that Tim Burton style, Nightmare Before Christmas has remained a holiday classic

My son watched it, he loved it. He loves Halloween stuff and wants to continue watching Halloween stuff today. I'm trying to get him on the Christmas kick though.

There was a point in life when Emo Kids latched onto this film. I think that time has passed now, which is nice, ahahaha.

Suspect's Reviews

A film that I watch both Christmas and Halloween seasons. I loved this film as a kid and still marvel at the animation today. With catchy songs, creative character designs and that Tim Burton style, Nightmare Before Christmas has remained a holiday classic

My son watched it, he loved it. He loves Halloween stuff and wants to continue watching Halloween stuff today. I'm trying to get him on the Christmas kick though.

There was a point in life when Emo Kids latched onto this film. I think that time has passed now, which is nice, ahahaha.

Are you kidding? no... My daughter's friends who are still considered a bit emo love this film. Heck, I get an advertisement on FB for a "Nightmare before Christmas" crockpot.. LOL

The trick is not minding
emo? emo kids? I've not heard that term before...what does it mean?
Emo is shorthand for emotional and is used to describe overly sad teens and early 20’s in the late 90’s to mid 2000’s I think? I might be off on the time line.
It was used pejoratively but some embraced it

Emo is shorthand for emotional and is used to describe overly sad teens and early 20’s in the late 90’s to mid 2000’s I think? I might be off on the time line.
It was used pejoratively but some embraced it
Thanks...but aren't all teens overly emotionally

Yes, Statler and Waldorf are the old hecklers. (Trivia: They were named after two NYC hotels, the Statler Hotel (which was renamed the Hotel Pennsylvania), and the Waldorf-Astoria Hotel.)

They were okay as the Marleys, but they were much better on "The Muppet Show".

Bunsen Honeydew and Beaker were great... there were a lot of muppet characters that had a good sense of humor.

Beaker is Hubby's favorite Muppet, and Animal is a close second.

The Swedish Chef is another great character.