23rd MoFo Hall of Fame

Tools    

I meant to see Pain and Glory last year but it didn't happen.
Given your history with gay movies, I suspect you wouldn't like it. I don't recall any explicit sex scenes, but there's some kissing and male nudity.

Update: the kids do indeed say "H" instead of "heroin". It's the English way of saying "H" too, rather than the German (aytch instead of ha). So while it seemed silly to you, the foreign pronunciation probably made it sound cooler to them.
Thanks for checking.

The reason it sounded silly was in all of my life I've never heard of Heroin being called H, so I thought the makers of the movie didn't want to actually come out and say Heroin. So that's why it struck me as being silly.

I signed up for a HBO free trial on Amazon since they had Gangs of New York and Jojo Rabbit, so I'll rewatch Jojo in the next few days. After that I may take advantage of the long weekend and finish the HOF with rewatches of Schindler's List and The Skin I Live In.

Let the night air cool you off
I started Christiane F earlier before class. It makes sense that it's a cricket film. I don't know if I know the right words to use to describe it, maybe seedy is one of them. But I am reminded already of Out of the Blue and Joe and maybe even Nothing Bad Can Happen. Not always explicitly, but there is something about the tone, atmosphere, and a lot of confined spaces mixed with misery, despair, and disgust. @cricket has a type and it's nasty. Good man.

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
The Fisher King

A lot of the movie had me going back and forth on whether or not I would ultimately end up liking the film overall. A lot of the events that went on in the movie were a tad farfetched and a bit preposterous in my opinion.

Let, when the film came to an end, I realized that a lot of this mostly worked. The strength of the film is the ultimate Bond between Jeff Bridges and Robin Williams characters. Both had been through a lot and they came together to help each other in their times of struggles. The twos performances were highlights for me. I've grown so enjoy Bridges as an actor quite a bit and this highlights the things he is capable of. And Williams has always been a favorite and he does a great job of balancing humor with a very lighthearted humanostic character.

Gilliam seems to have weird stories but here it really just works for me. Kind of takes us a lot of directions but it overall gels pretty well. My favorite scene was in that Chinese restaurant with Williams character imitating everything that Lydia was doing wrong.

Overall the film isn't a favorite or anything but I could see it as one that I would go back to and like even more after rewatching it. Glad to have finally seen it.

+

Christiane F. - Wir Kinder vom Bahnhof Zoo (1981)
Directed By: Uli Edel
Starring: Natja Brunckhorst, Thomas Haustein, Daniela Jaeger

Christiane F. doesn't glorify addiction, or attempt to make the teenagers' choices seem justified in any way. It's a cautionary tale that focuses purely on the negative effects of drug use. We never see any representation of the highs these kids experience, only the lows and the increasingly detrimental effects heroin has on their lives. The film presents this harsh reality in an appropriately stark and gritty manner, and doesn't shy away from showing filth, or the seedy locations these kids keep returning to.

Early in the film, David Bowie' music is front and centre, but it begins to fade into the background as Christiane becomes more dependant on heroin. Something that was once so important in her life turns into an afterthought, and I found that representation of her addiction to be just as effective as the visual indicators. The only scene I actually winced and averted my gaze from was the home-made tattoo. Apparently I can watch kids shooting heroin just fine, but injecting ink is somehow too much.

I appreciated how the characters in the film were all aware of their addictions, and even attempted to discourage others from trying heroin. After surviving withdrawals, Christiane and Detlev convincing themselves they could now stop at any time was another authentic portrayal of their dependency, and something I'm sure the real Christiane and Detlev said to each other many times. Even though I didn't like her reading of the narration, I think Natja Brunckhorst gave a great performance. Especially considering they were untrained actors, I think the whole cast did a phenomenal job as well.

Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	christiane.jpg
Views:	241
Size:	151.9 KB
ID:	67596  

Christiane F. doesn't glorify addiction, or attempt to make the teenagers' choices seem justified in any way. It's a cautionary tale that focuses purely on the negative effects of drug use.
Definitely agree that it's a cautionary tale rather than an educational film.

Early in the film, David Bowie' music is front and centre, but it begins to fade into the background as Christiane becomes more dependant on heroin. Something that was once so important in her life turns into an afterthought, and I found that representation of her addiction to be just as effective as the visual indicators.
A great observation and you're absolutely right. An addict puts everything else in the background and nothing is as important as their next fix.

I appreciated how the characters in the film were all aware of their addictions, and even attempted to discourage others from trying heroin.
Yep, they are far more aware than anyone else. Going back to an earlier discussion about choice, I heard my wife talking to a client the other day while I was trying to take a nap. I heard the guy complaining about some people telling him that it's his choice to use. He said, "do they really think it's my choice to be a loser?" It was very sad.

After surviving withdrawals, Christiane and Detlev convincing themselves they could now stop at any time was another authentic portrayal of their dependency, and something I'm sure the real Christiane and Detlev said to each other many times.
Even with gambling, there were many times I thought I could just bet on a couple of games instead of all of them which is what got me in trouble. I could never just bet on a couple of games.

The trick is not minding
If you search "the night of counting the years" on YouTube, the full film is the first result
I’m wary of YouTube. The quality isn’t always great. Can you tell me how it looks?

I’m wary of YouTube. The quality isn’t always great. Can you tell me how it looks?
I have a link that's better quality than Youtube, but you have to add subtitles to it. I do have a link for the subtitles.

Let the night air cool you off
I won't mention specifics, just in case this tiptoes on the rules, but I downloaded the Mummy from a private tracker that is dedicated to arthouse and foreign films. I mentioned the YouTube link because it's the easiest way to find it. If CR has a good link and can help you get it set up, I'd use his link. The YT video isn't the greatest quality in the world, but it's more than watchable.

The trick is not minding
Yeah, I watched Dirty Little Billy on YouTube and it was way too grainy. Lacked quality in its streaming. Some other sound was meh as well.
I’ve tried a few others and found similar issues.
Started resorting To CR providing links. 😎

The trick is not minding
I have a link that's better quality than Youtube, but you have to add subtitles to it. I do have a link for the subtitles.
Link with subtitles would be awesome and I’d be forever in your debt kind sir
😎

Link with subtitles would be awesome and I’d be forever in your debt kind sir
😎
The link I have you'd have to add in the subtitles. If you watch it on a computer with VLC or some media player like that, then it wouldn't be hard. It just depends on how you were going to watch it.

The trick is not minding
The link I have you'd have to add in the subtitles. If you watch it on a computer with VLC or some media player like that, then it wouldn't be hard. It just depends on how you were going to watch it.
Oops. Misread the post. my bad. Don’t worry about it. Not a dire need to watch or anything
Thank you though