23rd MoFo Hall of Fame

Tools    

Let the night air cool you off

Yellow Submarine
(George Dunning, 1968)
Nominated By: HashtagBrownies
85 mins, IMDb

I was a little nicer with my previous writings, but I'm not liking this as much as before. It's not really the movie's fault as much as it is mine. I'll say this, even though the animation isn't very smooth and I understand the complaint about it being an ugly-to-look-at film, I liked a lot of the visuals. I really enjoyed the Sea of Holes section. I think the music is alright, but I don't love the Beatles. I think a lot of the tunes don't really fit the film. The one that I thought worked the best was "Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band" as it works in that it's just as fictional as the film. The humor misses more time than not. The character's themselves wear thin pretty quickly. The Blue Meanies were annoying. I don't really care about the story and I don't think the film even cares if you care about the story. It's more about the experience. I didn't care much for the experience though.

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
I'd never seen The Fisher King before but of course heard of it...so I'm glad you nominated it. Are you fan of Robin Williams per say? Or just a fan of this movie of his?
Been a fan from the get-go with Mork & Mindy then through quite a number of his films. One of my favorites and most watched has been Dead Poet's Society.
I've enjoyed its complete embracement of the zany to his emotional turbulence and this one does feature a great mix of them.

Been a fan from the get-go with Mork & Mindy then through quite a number of his films. One of my favorites and most watched has been Dead Poet's Society.
I've enjoyed its complete embracement of the zany to his emotional turbulence and this one does feature a great mix of them.
I haven't seen many of his movies, but one that I seen and remember liking was What Dreams May Come have you seen that?

I haven't seen many of his movies, but one that I seen and remember liking was What Dreams May Come have you seen that?
I don't mind Robin William's comedy. I am used to it. Only film I don't like is "One Hour Photo."

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
Been a fan from the get-go with Mork & Mindy then through quite a number of his films. One of my favorites and most watched has been Dead Poets Society.
Dead Poets Society is my favorite Robin Williams movie. I think the only other movie of his that comes close for me is Good Will Hunting. As I recall, The Birdcage is another great Robin Williams movie, but I haven't seen it in a while.

I liked What Dreams May Come too, but it didn't hold up as well on a rewatch for me. I still like it, but it just wasn't as good as I remembered.

I don't mind Robin William's comedy. I am used to it. Only film I don't like is "One Hour Photo."
I tried watching One Hour Photo a while back, but unfortunately I got a bad disc, so I was only able to watch the first half hour or so before the disc locked up. I've never gotten back to it, but it's been on my watchlist since then.

I think the only Robin Williams movie I really like is Death to Smoochy.
I've heard great reviews of Death to Smoochy, but I still haven't seen it. I bought the DVD a few years ago, but I've just never found the time to watch it. Maybe if someone nominates it in a HoF it will give me the incentive to watch it.

I didn't like Death to Smoochy when I saw it ages ago, but I don't remember much about it, including what it was about the film that I didn't like. It might be something that I end up enjoying more upon a rewatch. I'm not particularly inclined to watch it on my accord though.

I didn't like Death to Smoochy when I saw it ages ago, but I don't remember much about it, including what it was about the film that I didn't like. It might be something that I end up enjoying more upon a rewatch. I'm not particularly inclined to watch it on my accord though.
Although I love it, I'll never nominate it. Comedies don't do well in the General HOF and I won't participate in any Comedy HOF.

I had to break Schindler's List up over two days, because I didn't realize how long it was when I turned it on yesterday evening. After 2 hours I checked how much time was left and was quite surprised since I wasn't staying up that late haha. I watched the rest earlier today when I got home from work. My write-up will probably be fairly short since I can't think of much to say.

I'm not sure what I want to watch next. I'll probably go with whichever is shortest haha.

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
Dead Poets Society is my favorite Robin Williams movie. I think the only other movie of his that comes close for me is Good Will Hunting. As I recall, The Birdcage is another great Robin Williams movie, but I haven't seen it in a while.
I liked What Dreams May Come too, but it didn't hold up as well on a rewatch for me. I still like it, but it just wasn't as good as I remembered.
It has been a VERY long time since seeing What Dreams May Come but I did love it at the theater when it came out.
The Birdcage is hilarious. Him and Nathan Lane were the perfect couple. And Hank Azaria as the Cuban House Boy was a scene stealer. Seen it a number of times and actually prefer it to the original La Cage aux Folles.
Still haven't seen Good Will Hunting. Should try to at some point.

I tried watching One Hour Photo a while back, but unfortunately I got a bad disc, so I was only able to watch the first half hour or so before the disc locked up. I've never gotten back to it, but it's been on my watchlist since then.
Have not checked that one out. Was curious about it but the opportunity never came up.
I think the only Robin Williams movie I really like is Death to Smoochy.

I've heard great reviews of Death to Smoochy, but I still haven't seen it. I bought the DVD a few years ago, but I've just never found the time to watch it. Maybe if someone nominates it in a HoF it will give me the incentive to watch it.
I THINK I saw that. Can't remember either way.

One of the very first Williams films I remember seeing him where he played a serious role was The World According to Garp which I haven't seen since it first came out back in '82. That would be worth a rewatch.

Late Spring (1949)
Dir. Yasujirô Ozu

Slow, sentimentalism...and I loved it...this is my kind of film! CR

Rarely am I moved emotionally by a film, I can enjoy a movie but it's not often that a film actually touches me emotionally...Late Spring did just that. I found the film very humanly realistic. While I could understand the feelings the father had, it was Setsuku Hara as the daughter who wanted to go on living her life with her father that touched me the most. Setsuku was so good in relaying her emotions, so much so that I could image just how she felt about her decision to stay in a safe place with her father who loved her, or go out into the world and merry a near complete stranger. Her happiness was infectious and her sadness palatable. Setusku was utterly charming in this!

I just love that photo and the feeling of unbridled happiness as Norkio is yet to move away from the safe life she has has known, her joy is abundantly clear.

I'm impressed by the way the director filmed this. Ozu's technique makes everything seem so personal in his film, like we're part of the household and are watching the quiet moments of life unfold before our eyes. Nothing feels rushed or contrived, it all flows so effortlessly as Ozu takes his time. It feels like time could stand still and Noriko could stay forever in the safety of her childhood home. I loved the way Ozu filmed not only the actors, especially the lovely Setsuku, but also the way he filmed the scenes...Ozu often gives us a view from afar or a view from a low angle, which makes the people seem so familiar like we're in the room with them..

I appreciated the script too, especially in the polite way two people would argue with their back and forth conversations: yes you would, no I wouldn't...yes you would. If I recall that dialogue style was repeated three times in the film, which imparts a feeling that life and people are tied together in a commonality that spans generations.

Late Spring is certainly the highlight for me in this HoF.

Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	Noriko.jpg
Views:	580
Size:	17.9 KB
ID:	67507   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tarda_Primavera.jpeg
Views:	571
Size:	62.6 KB
ID:	67508  

Have not checked that one out. Was curious about it but the opportunity never came up.
In One Hour Photo, I see Robin William's character as a creep, a vindictive creep at that. A character that may have changed him being stereotyped as a comedic actor but still something I wish was played by someone else.

In One Hour Photo, I see Robin William's character as a creep, a vindictive creep at that. A character that may have changed him being stereotyped as a comedic actor but still something I wish was played by someone else.
I haven't seen One Hour Photo, but why do you wish someone else had played his role? Isn't his character suppose to be an unhinged, stalker type guy?

Schindler's List (1993)
Directed By: Steven Spielberg
Starring: Liam Neeson, Ben Kingsley, Ralph Fiennes

I'd seen Schindler's List only once before, when it was covered as part of the curriculum in school. I don't remember which grade it was, but it was certainly too soon for me to fully appreciate it. I didn't think I had remembered much about the film, but it started coming back to me the longer I watched it. I found the film and its characters far more engaging this time, so I'm glad I had the chance to experience it again. The performances were great from everyone involved, including the prisoners who don't get much screen time. It's a touching story that doesn't delve too far into sentimentality until the very end, where one could argue that its been earned.

Though the film does feature many of the atrocities committed against the Jewish people during the Second World War, its focus is primarily on Oscar Schindler. We see him grow from being an opportunistic businessman profiting from the war and cheap Jewish labour into someone willing to spend every cent he has to protect those same people and their families. Hiring unskilled workers to keep them away from concentration camps was not even his idea, but something his accountant did behind his back, and he turned a blind eye to it because they were still making him money. To see him later weep over the material things he could've traded for even one more life was quite a powerful moment that would've been the perfect place to end the film.

While it was nice to see some of the real people Schindler had a hand in saving, and even though my eyes may have been watering a little, I don't particularly like how the film closes on a visit to his grave. I know it's meant to be a show of honour, but it just feels cheap to me, and takes the film uncomfortably close to documentary territory. Its length also unnecessarily pads out an already long runtime. It's almost as if Spielberg doesn't trust viewers to remember that this story is based on real events, despite the blocks of text through the film that make that fact abundantly clear. Ultimately it didn't have a major impact on my appreciation for Schindler's List, it's just a disappointing note to end on.

Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	schindler.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	113.9 KB
ID:	67527  

Schindler's List (1993)

...I don't particularly like how the film closes on a visit to his grave. I know it's meant to be a show of honour, but it just feels cheap to me, and takes the film uncomfortably close to documentary territory...
You know what? I actually agree with you about the last scene, I didn't care for it either. I don't like based on real events movies that end by showing us the real people, it just seems like a way to manipulate the audience at the last moment. I would've preferred ending the film as you suggested at Schindler's 'couldn't save them all' crying scene. Then maybe just some white text on a black background saying how many descendants of those he saved are alive today.

I seem to like your ideas for alternative movie endings