23rd MoFo Hall of Fame

Tools    

Wow! I think Miss Vicky's reviewing style has finally rubbed off on you Cosmic I don't think I've seen you write such a spicy review!
I watched Yellow Submarine back when I was on a mission to complete the Animation List and I felt about the same as Cosmic did about it. I suspect I'll have a repeat of that experience when I do finally force myself to watch it again. Not looking forward to it.

If anyone has a good link from a not sketchy site for it, I'd appreciate it.

I watched Yellow Submarine back when I was on a mission to complete the Animation List and I felt about the same as Cosmic did about it. I suspect I'll have a repeat of that experience when I do finally force myself to watch it again. Not looking forward to it.

If anyone has a good link from a not sketchy site for it, I'd appreciate it.
I got a HD link from a legit site. I'll send it to you.

I got a HD link from a legit site. I'll send it to you.
I like the links ...I can watch them on my TV. I just log in here and go to your message.

I had a bit of a lag with Fisher King but not with Jojo Rabbit.

Let the night air cool you off
That's really rough. Hopefully it doesn't happen again.

Were you writing the whole thing here on the site? I always type mine in a word processor so I can constantly save it, then just copy+paste it when I'm ready to make the post.
I was just using notepad on my laptop. I would take notes and edit the notes into paragraphs, but I still had 20 minutes of the film left and I didn't save my note. My laptop updated or something overnight and I lost everything. I know it's a rookie mistake, but I'll continue to make it, I'm sure.

Yellow Submarine

I believe I first watched this for either the 60's or animation countdown, probably whichever came first. I also believe I enjoyed it more than I did this time, although I didn't remember it well. My first reaction is what is this. It says something about the joy of music but it's not any kind of story that is compelling to me. I feel like there's supposed to be a psychedelic element but I didn't see it. Of course being sober doesn't help. I also feel like there's some inside jokes that I'm missing.

I'm far from an animation connoisseur but I can't say I was impressed with the visuals. I really don't need to be but another positive would've helped in this case. I did get a kick out of animated Beatles and getting the real thing at the end was cool. The biggest plus of the movie is easily the music. Fortunately I love The Beatles, yet still I feel like I'm being generous.

The Reflecting Skin
(Philip Ridley 1990)

Geez, that exploding frog bit was silly horror stuff, pffft...It's too bad because it felt like this film had something and could've been great. Instead we get a bunch of animal cruelty scenes in the beginning. I'm going to guess no actual animals were hurt. But still, fake animal cruelty turns my stomach and sank the film right then and there....

But it did get more interesting with some amazing sets and shooting locations. The house set was cool as was the wheat fields. Those dysfunctional kids sure had some bizarre ideas, but not as bizarre as the mom with her water fixation...and the one eyed, one hand sheriff...and the guy who has sinful thoughts...oh and the twin ladies caring the dead bird down the road.

It's like the director took what could've been good source material about a messed up boy who thinks the strange English woman in black is a vampire. But instead the director piles on a bunch of wackiness in a David Lynch Twin Peaks way. Only Lynch knew how to make the quirkiness work, this director didn't. I was disappointing the boy wasn't killed in the end.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.

Yellow Submarine (1968)
Directed By: George Dunning
Starring: Paul Angelis, John Clive, Geoffrey Hughes

If you really love Yellow Submarine or the Beatles, you're going to want to stop reading here because I cannot think of a single positive thing to say about this film. I haven't had such an unpleasant viewing experience since D.W. Griffith's Birth of a Nation. Luckily the runtime for Yellow Submarine only clocks in at 90 minutes, but it was still incredibly difficult to sit through the entire thing. If this film were any longer I might've started to consider dropping out of the Hall of Fame just so I didn't have to watch another second of it.

I don't hate the Beatles, but I've never particularly liked them either. After this, I never want to hear another Beatles song ever again. I don't find their music insufferable, but from now on I'll forever associate them with this film. It doesn't help that the majority of the soundtrack sounds like B-side material at best, and Kindergarten songs at worst. Since the film relies heavily on those tracks, there isn't much left to enjoy once you take the music away. The plot barely exists, and the visuals are nonsensical to the point where I wonder if it's even meant to be watched sober.

I could maybe forgive the music and overlook the lack of an coherent story if the visuals were at least interesting, but this is one of the ugliest films I've ever seen. The art style is hideous, and I really hope the people who designed the characters were amateurs and not professional artists. None of the jokes were even remotely funny to me, so I just sat here glaring at the screen using every ounce of my willpower not to start browsing the internet on my phone. The only joy I experienced while watching this film was when my room mate walked by and started making fun of what was happening at the time.

I haven't seen the movie Yellow Submarine since I was a kid, but I remember it being weird, psychedelic, and trippy. But somehow your review makes me want to watch it again.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
Yellow Submarine

I believe I first watched this for either the 60's or animation countdown, probably whichever came first. I also believe I enjoyed it more than I did this time, although I didn't remember it well. My first reaction is what is this. It says something about the joy of music but it's not any kind of story that is compelling to me. I feel like there's supposed to be a psychedelic element but I didn't see it. Of course being sober doesn't help. I also feel like there's some inside jokes that I'm missing.

I'm far from an animation connoisseur but I can't say I was impressed with the visuals. I really don't need to be but another positive would've helped in this case. I did get a kick out of animated Beatles and getting the real thing at the end was cool. The biggest plus of the movie is easily the music. Fortunately I love The Beatles, yet still I feel like I'm being generous.

If you love The Beatles music, you might want to watch Across the Universe (2007), (if you haven't already seen it). It's a drama set to Beatles songs, and it's a good movie.

Yellow Submarine (George Dunning, 1968)
Imdb

Date Watched: 08/25/2020
Cinema or Home: Home
Reason For Watching: 23rd MoFo Hall of Fame, nominated by HashtagBrownies
Rewatch: Yes.

It's a rare occasion that we get an animated film nominated in a general Hall of Fame and, as a lover of animation, I should be absolutely delighted that this time around we've got TWO of them. I should be. I am not.

We've somehow managed to get two animated films that I don't like (and neither of them are even Miyazaki! ). But whereas the other mostly suffers from not having any nostalgic value for me, this one has that and a few other issues. The biggest issue is that I am not a Beatles fan. They have some songs that I like and I've enjoyed some of the work that each member has done separate from the band, but I am not a Beatles fan and so the music is not really a plus here. (The fact that I despise most musicals doesn’t work in its favor either). What's also not a plus for me is the style of the animation. The 1960s were before my time and I'm not one to partake in illicit substances so the psychedelic colors don’t really appeal to me. My sobriety and general dislike of fantasy didn't exactly help when it came to trying to follow the bonkers story either (Between the Meanies, the Kinky Boot Beasts, the Boob, and the Dreadful Flying Glove, what the **** was even happening in this movie? Nevermind. Don't answer that. I don't actually care). So ultimately I was left in a state of both boredom and confusion, which does not make for a particularly pleasant movie watching experience, but at least it is pretty short.

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
Yeah but these two weren't even known to be greats. I don't think either of them even made the top 100 list, well, I guess Yellow Submarine did.

Yeah but these two weren't even known to be greats.
Yellow Submarine was 62 on the animation list. It has a rating of 7.4 on IMDb, a 97% critics score and 84% audience score on RT. I'd say that might qualify it as "known to be great," even if it's not being as well received in the HOF.

Haven't seen it yet.
No idea what you'll think of it, but it's not often that we agree on movies. Do you like the Beatles? It's their music in the movie, but the speaking voices were done by actors.

I'll probably rewatch Late Spring next. Here's hoping I'll have a better experience with it this time.

Just finished Stand by Me. I didn't remember much of it (and had some false memories too) but I didn't like it nearly as much as I think I did the last time. Also, every time King writes about kids he has exactly the same characters.

Women will be your undoing, Pépé

The Fisher King

Jack Lucas: Did you lose your mind all at once, or was it a slow, gradual process?

A romantic tale for the broken and the insane.
Terry Gilliam, in his usual off-center, then hook a left and dive into the nearest rabbit hole; comes the closest he'll ever come to a commercial film with this one. The fantastical aspects are brought to life in the splintered mind of a heartbroken, disillusioned man who is helped by the egotistical prick who feels (understandably) responsible for the tragedy befallen him.

Robin Williams skirts the lines of tragic mental illness and heartbreak to the zany release of someone who has nothing more to lose and in that nothingness sees life, love and laughter in its pure essence sans social preconceptions.
Dragging him into his vision that has become the mask covering his pain, Parry (Williams) scoops up Jeff Bridges' self-absorbed, now unemployed shock-jock, Jack. Believing him to be the one to aid him in finding the grail.
What is found, while visiting the denizens of the homeless - my favorite being Michael Jeter's Ethel Merman enamored cross dresser. But then I really love the characters I've seen him play throughout the years - is a chance to heal a splintered heart when Jack helps Parry actually meet and go on a double date with the equally crazy Amanda Plummer's Lydia.
Through all of these crazy people, the one grounded, but equally broken Anne is exceptionally played by Mercedes Ruehl who had won an Oscar for her performance. In a sea of quirks, her character stands above and I thoroughly enjoyed both her performance and the character herself.

A strange tale that wanders down the rabbit-hole with a faded ticket to a missed train of a long gone legend to find the truly lost that had always been there in the first place.

I'd never seen The Fisher King before but of course heard of it...so I'm glad you nominated it. Are you fan of Robin Williams per say? Or just a fan of this movie of his?

Let the night air cool you off
I'm trying to bolster up the strength to finish Yellow Submarine. I only have twenty minutes left, but after losing all that I had written, it's been way harder going back to it than I had anticipated.

Depending on what goes on tonight after work...I may watch a film. I have 4 to choose but I may leave one for close to last.