23rd MoFo Hall of Fame

Tools    

Schindler's List

What to do with a film like Schindler's List, Steven Spielbergs best use of historical sentimentalism within the confines of an historical epic. Spielberg wanted to tell his Nazi film and to make it the most comprehensive Holocaust film done before or since...I think that he achieved but the film is also somewhat of a failure if we view the film as a biopic.

The insidious part of the film which you find out when you look into the story is Oskar Schindler may have had very little to do with his list. He was actually in jail during one of the nine lists that was made...so who's story is this really? Did we just get a propaganda piece and element of white knighting that to criticize would be anti-Semitic. We get a Hollywood version of a hero and everyone else who participated and did apparently most of the work is ignored, underwritten and faded into the background. Schindler himself might have made his decisions out of fear as the war was ended and Schindler...a Nazi who profited greatly from the war was in fear of the Russians killing him. They don't tell you that part of the story...we aren't given a warts and all version of the character and that feels like a problem for me in 2020.

Then again Spielberg creates a master class of cinema by building this Polish world and filling it with a collection of heartbreaking and powerful scenes. He captures the madness of the times with scene after scene where each of the anecdotes are pure brilliance. To me the star of the film is Ralph Fiennes Amon Goth who is afforded the opportunities to create a character that blends madness, cruelty and pathos. Goth is at times terrifying but also pitiful, you get somewhat of an idea that the man knows his life is going to end soon when the war ends. He is also in his camp awaiting his death stuck being given ridiculous orders that won't save his life.

The three hour runtime moves fairly unevenly...watching the film again I was surprised at how much I...ugh I don't want to say enjoy at how well made the first act of the story was. I think it a lot of ways the closing of the ghetto is the climax of the film as that is the point in the story that has the most suspense and feels like the strongest scenes. With the camp life being somewhat of a second lesser film to the first.

It's still an incredible film...that does have flaws complicated as they are.

Schindler's List

What to do with a film like Schindler's List, Steven Spielbergs best use of historical sentimentalism within the confines of an historical epic.
I have to disagree that the film is sentimentalism. I was amazed at how little of Spielberg's patented sentimentalism made it into the film. Most of the acts of violence are handled in an austere manner. People are killed without a big build up of sympathy for them. There's little of the uber close ups or the heart tugging reaction shots that director's often used to evoke sympathy in a viewer.. Of course there's the innate sympathy that most viewers will feel when watching a helpless victim being coldly killed, but that sympathy would occur regardless of the director. I think it's easy to hang the sympathy card on every film that Spielberg has made, but it's not accurate.

The insidious part of the film which you find out when you look into the story is Oskar Schindler may have had very little to do with his list. He was actually in jail during one of the nine lists that was made...so who's story is this really? Did we just get a propaganda piece and element of white knighting that to criticize would be anti-Semitic.
Are you accusing a Jewish director of 'white knighting' a character?

It's easy to condemn any of the 100,000+ people who joined the Nazi party during it's initial phase back when it was just another political party. It wasn't until later that the Holocaust and other war crimes occurred. If this was the late 1930s and we were all German citizens a number of us would be ardent supporters of the Nazi party. It's easy to rewrite history in an internet article so that there was no 'good' Nazi's like Oskar Schindler. He might not have written each list but as an industrialist business owner the risk of saving those Jewish laborers was his...he risked being executed and was honored by Israel some years latter.

Are you accusing a Jewish director of 'white knighting' a character?

It's easy to condemn any of the 100,000+ people who joined the Nazi party during it's initial phase back when it was just another political party. It wasn't until later that the Holocaust and other war crimes occurred. If this was the late 1930s and we were all German citizens a number of us would be ardent supporters of the Nazi party. It's easy to rewrite history in an internet article so that there was no 'good' Nazi's like Oskar Schindler. He might not have written each list but as an industrialist business owner the risk of saving those Jewish laborers was his...he risked being executed and was honored by Israel some years latter.

"when the legend becomes fact, print the legend"

Well the film certainly takes creative license with the story...the central issue that I have is the belief that Schindler was under investigation and had to little to do with the entire point of the film. That in reality Mietek Pemper and Itzhak Stern where the ones who organized and implemented the evacuation of the Polish jews. It seems like Pemper was practically omitted from the film and replaced with Schindler who was my understanding being held by the gestapo. Schindler himself credits those two and did until he died.

For me the central problem I have with the film is that's it's such a serious subject matter creating a somewhat false narrative leaves me with some complicated feelings. Did we just get glimpses of the real Schindler for the sake of creating a hero that was perhaps a bit more complicated.

Schindler being a good man is not up for debate in my eyes...he ran a factory and didn't kill his workers and tried to keep families in tact. He also funded the evacuation of the jews which is once again something he deserves credit for. You take the actions and work of a half dozen people and then you just credit it to one man...that makes me feel a little iffy about the story.

I have faith that Steven Spielberg, a well known director and a member of the Jewish community, would have taken great care not to grossly misrepresent something in his bio pic...As the particular topic is of great important to the Jewish people of the world...and any such gross misrepresentations would certainly come under scrutiny.

I have no doubt that like in all bio pics, some information that would've been interesting, is left out for the film's runtime sake. I believe that the thrust of the film was in good faith with the overall events of Schindler and the Jews he saved.

Im watching "The Fisher King". All I can say is Robin Williams is being Robin Williams..

Yellow Submarine (1968)

Glowing with fun and originality, it's hard to find another film quite like Yellow Submarine. The first time I watched it, I was blown away by the stunning detail of every frame, and of course entranced by the great song numbers. This time, the magic wore off just a bit, but not much at all. It still remains a fascinating and one-of-a-kind film.

Of course, with a Beatles movie, what has to tie this all together is the music. In that sense, Yellow Submarine works perfectly. I love the usage of every number, and the addition of an orchestral score actually helps keep this cinematic. There is not a moment where either music isn't playing or odd sounds are going off. Again, it gets wearisome near the end, but perhaps only because I'm drained of all energy watching it.

The opening half hour is by far the best for me. The introduction, first to this magical world, and then to the Beatles themselves, is an absolute treat. The visuals in the city are probably my favorite in the movie (the "Eleanor Rigby" scene in particular), just because of how unique they are. In other parts of the movie, it often feels like its trying to be quirky for the sake of being quirky. Not here... it feels real but also dream-like. Amazing.

Of course, as I enjoy the film less, I actually enjoy the musical numbers more. We are treated to "Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band" and "All You Need is Love", which as songs are pretty damn entertaining even without the need of visuals. Where it gets dicey for me mostly is in the middle (oh god, all those seas). It's the type of film where nothing and everything matters. If you look away for a second, you don't miss a plot point but you miss the energy the film is building up to. The portions in the middle feel the most energy-draining to me, and for that reason, the much better last third actually feels less fun. Again, I think this is something that could totally just be my problem, but at less than 90 minutes, Yellow Submarine still feels like... a lot.

In the end, however, it's absolutely thoroughly enjoyable. I can't believe I haven't checked out another Beatles film yet, but I've got to. It's always fun to revisit crazy classics like Yellow Submarine!

-

The Fisher King
(1991)
Directed by Terry Gillam
nominated by @edarsenal

An ex-shock jock Jack takes on an unusual friendship with a homeless man Parry, who he feels that he is responsible for the tragedy in his life, after a freak accident. Parry has delusions of the Red Knight of Arthurian Legend and the search for the Holy Grail. Along the way, Jack helps him find love with a woman he sees every day at the subway station. Just as Parry's life turns for the positive, his mental illness causes him to falls to pieces. Jack goes on that search for the Grail to help his friend's life turn for the best.

This film is about hope, dreams, love, homelessness, and mental illness. I had always known it had something to do with mental illness but never watched it nor had the desire. I'm not a fan of Jeff Bridges and only a fan of Robin Williams from his "Mork and Mindy" days. Robin Williams has always been a bit silly and chaotic and that is what he is in this film and Amanda Plummer has the same bit of silliness and chaoticness which makes them a perfect pair in this story.

The trick is not minding
Have I mentioned how angry I am that I was unable to join this? 😡
Stupid work ended OT one week after the deadline to join. Friggin conspiracy I tell ya.....
So many interesting films nominated here, many I have been interested in seeing for a good while.
The only 2 I was unaware of were Christiane F. And The Mummy aka the night of counting the years.
And they both look interesting.
Grrrrf

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
Have I mentioned how angry I am that I was unable to join this? 😡
Stupid work ended OT one week after the deadline to join. Friggin conspiracy I tell ya.....
So many interesting films nominated here, many I have been interested in seeing for a good while.
The only 2 I was unaware of were Christiane F. And The Mummy aka the night of counting the years.
And they both look interesting.
Grrrrf

You can still watch the movies, review them, and join in on the conversations. You just can't nominate a movie and vote.

Let the night air cool you off
I lost everything I wrote for Yellow Submarine. I am pretty annoyed. I will either angrily throw up something much shorter and of lesser quality or I'll wait a few more days to when I am less peeved and throw up something a little longer and of lesser quality.

I lost everything I wrote for Yellow Submarine. I am pretty annoyed. I will either angrily throw up something much shorter and of lesser quality or I'll wait a few more days to when I am less peeved and throw up something a little longer and of lesser quality.
That sucks, I hate when it happens.

I lost everything I wrote for Yellow Submarine.
Ouch. I've had that happen a few times. Sorry, man.

My new air conditioner is supposed to be installed today so I should be able to get more watched this week.

That's really rough. Hopefully it doesn't happen again.

Were you writing the whole thing here on the site? I always type mine in a word processor so I can constantly save it, then just copy+paste it when I'm ready to make the post.

Stand By Me (1986)
Directed By: Rob Reiner
Starring: Wil Wheaton, River Phoenix, Corey Feldman

When I first saw this film in my youth, it was an incredibly boring experience. The only thing I knew about Stand By Me before turning it on was that it was based on a story by Stephen King. I'd seen some of the other films adapted from his novels, and my mum was a huge fan of his, so everything he'd ever published was on the bookcase in the living room. Perhaps if I had bothered to read more of those books, I might've had different expectations going into the film.

Instead, I just sat there waiting for what I assumed was the set-up to finish, and for the “real” story to finally start. I didn't realize that I was missing the entire point of the film, so I wrote it off as pointless and dull. Many years have passed since then, though I never did grow fond of the typical coming-of-age stories and what they usually entail. I tend to enjoy films despite those elements, not because of them. I was still cautiously optimistic about this rewatch, and luckily I was able to enjoy it an awful lot more than I did back then.

Unfortunately, I don't really have much to say about Stand By Me, which is why I've followed the film's lead and gone with a sort of mini-life story. Imagine that I'm narrating this, but ideally not like Richard Dreyfuss. He was the weakest part of the film for me, and I just couldn't get into his voice over work. The kids do manage to make up for that tough, particularly River Phoenix. I can't exactly relate to the journey they took together, but adult Gordie musing over how important our friends were when we were kids, only to inevitably drift apart is something that certainly hits close to home now.

Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	stand.jpg
Views:	268
Size:	254.6 KB
ID:	67424  

Stand By Me (1986)....Richard Dreyfuss. He was the weakest part of the film for me, and I just couldn't get into his voice over work.

If there was one thing I'd change in the movie, it would be to replace Dreyfuss with someone else. I didn't mind the idea of a voice-over-scene narrator, but during the junkyard scene when the disembodied voice of Dreyfuss interrupts the scene to tell us something we didn't really need to hear, it caused the magic of the moment to dissipate. Even when he was onscreen at the beginning and end of the film I didn't like him as a casting choice. Loved the film though, just not Dreyfuss!

Yellow Submarine (1968)
Directed By: George Dunning
Starring: Paul Angelis, John Clive, Geoffrey Hughes

If you really love Yellow Submarine or the Beatles, you're going to want to stop reading here because I cannot think of a single positive thing to say about this film. I haven't had such an unpleasant viewing experience since D.W. Griffith's Birth of a Nation. Luckily the runtime for Yellow Submarine only clocks in at 90 minutes, but it was still incredibly difficult to sit through the entire thing. If this film were any longer I might've started to consider dropping out of the Hall of Fame just so I didn't have to watch another second of it.

I don't hate the Beatles, but I've never particularly liked them either. After this, I never want to hear another Beatles song ever again. I don't find their music insufferable, but from now on I'll forever associate them with this film. It doesn't help that the majority of the soundtrack sounds like B-side material at best, and Kindergarten songs at worst. Since the film relies heavily on those tracks, there isn't much left to enjoy once you take the music away. The plot barely exists, and the visuals are nonsensical to the point where I wonder if it's even meant to be watched sober.

I could maybe forgive the music and overlook the lack of an coherent story if the visuals were at least interesting, but this is one of the ugliest films I've ever seen. The art style is hideous, and I really hope the people who designed the characters were amateurs and not professional artists. None of the jokes were even remotely funny to me, so I just sat here glaring at the screen using every ounce of my willpower not to start browsing the internet on my phone. The only joy I experienced while watching this film was when my room mate walked by and started making fun of what was happening at the time.

Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	yellow.jpg
Views:	336
Size:	160.5 KB
ID:	67437  

Wow! I think Miss Vicky's reviewing style has finally rubbed off on you Cosmic I don't think I've seen you write such a spicy review! I might have to rethink my plans to nominate the other four Beatles films, ha!...Totally cool of course that you didn't like it. BTW, I hated D.W. Griffith's Birth of a Nation too, such a boring & stupid film.

BTW, I hated D.W. Griffith's Birth of a Nation too, such a boring & stupid film.
Don't forget racist too! If the "heroes" of your film are the actual KKK I don't think you're allowed to act surprised when people say your film is problematic haha.

Don't forget racist too! If the "heroes" of your film are the actual KKK I don't think you're allowed to act surprised when people say your film is problematic haha.
Yup definitely, I even made a thread about it:
I don't understand all the praise for The Birth of a Nation (1915)

Which sounds like an Ironpony thread, but nope it's mine.