23rd MoFo Hall of Fame

Tools    

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
JFC, @ahwell

You know this thing is meant to be more of a marathon than a sprint, right?
Gonna have to start making pace restrictions. I'm still at 2, but almost through my third

JFC, @ahwell

You know this thing is meant to be more of a marathon than a sprint, right?
I need to stop, but i'm watching The Great Mouse Detective tomorrow, then will most likely have my list organized. Will still rewatch Late Spring and Yellow Submarine in case my opinion changes.

It's currently 104 outside. It got to 92 degrees inside the house yesterday. It's 88 degrees inside right now.

The forecast calls for a high of 111 tomorrow. Lowest predicted high for the next week is 99, which is on Thursday.
Oh yikes! that's hot alright and 92 degrees inside, ugh. I couldn't sleep in that heat, I couldn't sleep last night it was so hot, but not as hot as 92.

Schindler's List
(Spielberg 1993)

That's the real Auschwitz death camp that Spielberg used in the film. I don't even have to look that up as I instantly recognized that distinctive building with the train tracks running right threw the middle of it. And the cement ramp that takes the poor souls down to the showers, that was real too. Auschwitz must have been hauntingly eerie for the cast & crew to be there where so many humans were gassed to death in the showers, then cremated in giant furnaces that ran non-stop. It's mind boggling that the holocaust could have ever happened, and yet it did happen...Spielberg pays the victims & the heroes their due respect with his film Schindler's List.

Spielberg gets kick around a lot here at MoFo. Gawd knows I've taken pot shots at Spielberg for his big budget blockbusters with their sentimentalism and feel good moments...But damn if Spielberg didn't step away from his usual fare and give us a pictorial history in film form of the events that led to Oscar Schindler saving so many Jews from certain death. The film is almost void of Spielberg's trademark 'tugging at the heart strings' and instead he made a film that's very European feeling in form. The story is presented like a French New Wave film where the narrative isn't as important as the symbolism and visuals are. It's not a typical Spielberg film at all and for stepping outside of his usual film making style I respect him.

Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	PIC-10-19-1024x576.png
Views:	695
Size:	209.9 KB
ID:	67286  

Schindler's List
(Spielberg 1993)

That's the real Auschwitz death camp that Spielberg used in the film. I don't even have to look that up as I instantly recognized that distinctive building with the train tracks running right threw the middle of it. And the cement ramp that takes the poor souls down to the showers, that was real too. Auschwitz must have been hauntingly eerie for the cast & crew to be there where so many humans were gassed to death in the showers, then cremated in giant furnaces that ran non-stop. It's mind boggling that the holocaust could have ever happened, and yet it did happen...Spielberg pays the victims & the heroes their due respect with his film Schindler's List.

Spielberg gets kick around a lot here at MoFo. Gawd knows I've taken pot shots at Spielberg for his big budget blockbusters with their sentimentalism and feel good moments...But damn if Spielberg didn't step away from his usual fare and give us a pictorial history in film form of the events that led to Oscar Schindler saving so many Jews from certain death. The film is almost void of Spielberg's trademark 'tugging at the heart strings' and instead he made a film that's very European feeling in form. The story is presented like a French New Wave film where the narrative isn't as important as the symbolism and visuals are. It's not a typical Spielberg film at all and for stepping outside of his usual film making style I respect him.

Not sure if you are interested but there are 2 documentaries you should watch.. one is called "Night and Fog" (Nuit et brouillard) from 1956 by Alan Resnais. Its less than 35 minutes long of Holocaust Concentration camp hell and "Shoah" from 1985 directed by Claude Lanzmann that is over 9 hours of the same thing. Both are shocking and touching.

I've heard of both of those but never seen them. Isn't there a shortened version of Shoah? Though I think for myself I'd watch all 9 hours spaced over several days.
Yeah you can space it out over days. I have the Criterion copy which is multiple discs.

You want to see something shocking, find "Die Ewige Jude". A true Nazi propaganda film.

Yeah you can space it out over days. I have the Criterion copy which is multiple discs.

You want to see something shocking, find "Die Ewige Jude". A true Nazi propaganda film.
I want to see that, for the historical importance.

I watched JoJo Rabbit for the 2nd time, and for the 2nd time I didn't like it. I can't figure out why I don't like it so I'm going to watch it again.
Not every film is going to appeal to everyone, and comedies in particular are pretty divisive as it is. Thanks for giving it another shot, but you really don't need to suffer through it for a third time.

The air conditioner is broken (during a period of record breaking high temps, which is awesome) and needs to be replaced.
Hopefully you're able to get it fixed soon, as it sounds quite miserable.

Legend in my own mind
Not an urgent issue at all @MissVicky (especially given your heat issues) but I have completed two reviews rather than the 1 stated.

Don't want people to think that I am a lagger

Currently half way through 'Late Spring'

Not an urgent issue at all @MissVicky (especially given your heat issues) but I have completed two reviews rather than the 1 stated.
Sorry about that, it's fixed now.

And people should absolutely let me know if their review count on the first post is wrong or if they've posted a review and I've not linked it yet in the second post. Obviously give me a day or so to get it updated, but if it's been longer than 24 hours since you posted a review and it's not updated, feel free to say something. Generally, if I've given you rep for a review here, it means that I've seen it (but not necessarily actually read it) and updated both the links and the count, but obviously mistakes may still happen. In your case, Sarge, I linked the second review but forgot to update the count.

Legend in my own mind

Film: Banshun/ Late Spring
Year of release: 1949
Directed by: Yasujiro Ozu
Run time: 1hr 48
Starring: Chishu Ryu. Setsuko Hara

Never heard of this before.

Absolutely loved some of the shots used in this film. I particularly enjoyed the scenic shots of the train station, plants, waves etc, that seemed to linger brilliantly. Those shots paired with the soothing music were captivating.
I was very impressed with the technical side of the film, including the subtle highlighting of western influence into Japan, such as lingering on the Coca cola sign. This was more powerful given that the main characters were living in a more traditional way at home.

The acting seemed so natural and the dynamic between Ryu and Hara was brilliant. There was a real sincerity and tenderness to their characters relationship.
There were however some points where I had no idea if Noriko ws joking or not, as she was saying some seemingly serious things with a weird grin on her face, I couldn't work out whether she was joking or not.

With all of those great things, the story lacked something for me, and again as with Al Mummia, my watching through a 21st century lens could have been the issue. I found myself getting annoyed about why people wouldn't leave Noriko alone.
I spent the whole film, hoping that it would be about something more than it was and that a big reveal was coming.

With that said, I found the closing scene to be incredibly powerful and in those few moments I seemed to grasp at least some of what I think Ozu wanted me to understand.

A beautiful film but feels a bit like a salad. Its all nice, but does it really satisfy you fully?

Le Samouraï (1967)

The awkward ten-minute silence sets the tone of Le Samouraï from the start. The style, the constant need to look cool, reigns over logic and character progression. I don't hate this approach, but it has some pitfalls, and Le Samouraï doesn't dodge them all.

Before I delve any deeper into the movie itself, I have to say that seeing Le Samouraï was revelationary. I didn't know anything about it beforehand, so I was surprised by the number of modern movies influenced by it. The first names that popped into my head were Léon, Driven and John Wick, but there must be many more. I admit that I prefer these influencees over Melville's film, but I tip my virtual hat to its impact on cinema I like.

Going style over substance needs the stylistic tastes of the film and its viewer to match. Because of this, such films don't always age well. To me, the light gray trenchcoat doesn't scream cool (I'd rather associate it with exhibitionism). I also hate how the revolver seems to magically appear into Jef's hand during the shooting scenes. His stoicism is too striking, and he seems like someone who'd draw too much attention to himself for successfully doing what he does. Other than Jef's character, the visuals are a very pleasing mix of noir and Giallo.

Storywise the thing that bothers me the most is Jef's decision to go to that gambling place after his first hit. Why go to a kind of place the police will raid in search of potential suspects. He already had an alibi for the time of the murder, so why not go straight to home instead of a shady poker game? The second issue is the ending and his relationship with the piano player in general. Unlike in both Léon and Driven, his choices seem to come out of nowhere.

As a whole, Le Samouraï is an okay stylish crime movie. Its greatest value lies in its influence, though, and I'm very glad to have seen it.

JoJo Rabbit

The 1st time I watched this I gave it
and then the 2nd time I gave it
+. Each time my interest practically disappeared about 25 minutes in when JoJo was searching the house. It doesn't help that I generally don't like fantastical elements or movies focused on children, with the exception of coming of age movies. After watching it the 2nd time I at least realized that I like everything that happens in the movie, so I decided to give it a 3rd try with more focus. This time I loved it.

I would not get along well with people who find this movie offensive, and I know Cosmic wasn't talking about herself when she brought this up. There's nothing offensive about making fun of Nazis. It's like how in Blazing Saddles they are making fun of racists. This movie is not as extreme but it's the same thing. This movie was a pretty complete package having humor mixed with emotional and sad moments. Loved the entire cast especially Rockwell playing a heroic role. Then again, his wasn't the only heroic role. Pretty cool and fitting hearing Bowie's Heroes, the 2nd movie in this HoF to feature that song. The other songs were also fitting and fun. It's a great concept for a movie and it was executed wonderfully. It's also important to show people that many Germans were not on board. I don't want to overreact to 1 of 3 times I watched it but yes I think it's a great movie. This is also not the only movie in this HoF where my opinion completely flipped after giving it another shot. That's why I believe mood and focus can be crucial when watching movies.

JoJo Rabbit

The 1st time I watched this I gave it
and then the 2nd time I gave it
+. Each time my interest practically disappeared about 25 minutes in when JoJo was searching the house. It doesn't help that I generally don't like fantastical elements or movies focused on children, with the exception of coming of age movies. After watching it the 2nd time I at least realized that I like everything that happens in the movie, so I decided to give it a 3rd try with more focus. This time I loved it.

I would not get along well with people who find this movie offensive, and I know Cosmic wasn't talking about herself when she brought this up. There's nothing offensive about making fun of Nazis. It's like how in Blazing Saddles they are making fun of racists. This movie is not as extreme but it's the same thing. This movie was a pretty complete package having humor mixed with emotional and sad moments. Loved the entire cast especially Rockwell playing a heroic role. Then again, his wasn't the only heroic role. Pretty cool and fitting hearing Bowie's Heroes, the 2nd movie in this HoF to feature that song. The other songs were also fitting and fun. It's a great concept for a movie and it was executed wonderfully. It's also important to show people that many Germans were not on board. I don't want to overreact to 1 of 3 times I watched it but yes I think it's a great movie. This is also not the only movie in this HoF where my opinion completely flipped after giving it another shot. That's why I believe mood and focus can be crucial when watching movies.

I think the people who find this offensive would be offended by the jokes about Jews, even if they are played for laughs regarding the stupidity of Nazis. You really would get mad if a Jewish person was offended by this movie?

Le Samouraï (1967)

Storywise the thing that bothers me the most is Jef's decision to go to that gambling place after his first hit. Why go to a kind of place the police will raid in search of potential suspects. He already had an alibi for the time of the murder, so why not go straight to home instead of a shady poker game? The second issue is the ending and his relationship with the piano player in general. Unlike in both Léon and Driven, his choices seem to come out of nowhere.

I think Jef's motivations were not to stay alive but rather not be imprisoned, and I believe that's represented by his bird that he keeps in a cage. He decides to kill himself via cop because that's the noblest thing in his mind per his samurai code.

I think the people who find this offensive would be offended by the jokes about Jews, even if they are played for laughs regarding the stupidity of Nazis. You really would get mad if a Jewish person was offended by this movie?
It's not that I'd get mad, but why would a Jewish person be upset by Nazis being made to look ridiculous?

I get what you're saying but it's coming from a Nazi point of view.

I decided to give it a 3rd try with more focus. This time I loved it.
I was not expecting this twist, but I'm glad you eventually did enjoy the film! I guess the third time really is the charm, eh?