23rd MoFo Hall of Fame

Tools    

Sign-Ups Are Now Closed

Please take a moment to review the final list of nominated films, in case you missed any.

Christiane F.
(Uli Edel, 1981)
Nominated By cricket

The Fisher King
(Terry Gilliam, 1991)
Nominated By: edarsenal

Gangs of New York
(Martin Scorsese, 2002)
Nominated By: neiba

The Great Mouse Detective
(Ron Clements, Burny Mattinson, Et al., 1986)
Nominated By: rauldc14

Hunger
(Steve McQueen, 2008)
Nominated By: MovieGal

Jojo Rabbit
(Taika Waititi, 2019)
Nominated By: CosmicRunaway

Late Spring
(Yasujirô Ozu, 1949)
Nominated By: ahwell

Le Samouraï
(Jean-Pierre Melville, 1967)
Nominated By: Siddon

The Mummy/The Night of Counting the Years
(Chadi Abdel Salam, 1969)
Nominated By: jiraffejustin

The Reflecting Skin
(Philip Ridley, 1990)
Nominated By: pahaK

Schindler's List
(Steven Spielberg, 1993)
Nominated By: Citizen Rules

The Skin I Live In
(Pedro Almodóvar, 2011)
Nominated By: Miss Vicky

Stand By Me
(Rob Reiner, 1986)
Nominated By: Sarge

Yellow Submarine
(George Dunning, 1968)
Nominated By: HashtagBrownies

The deadline to finish write-ups and voting is November 21, 2020.
Ballots must be submitted by midnight Pacific Time. This equates to 1 week per movie, not including the time since the initial reveal of the nominations. I will allow one deadline extension if it is necessary, but please make an effort to finish by November 21.

@ahwell @Citizen Rules @CosmicRunaway @cricket @edarsenal @HashtagBrownies @jiraffejustin @MovieGal @neiba @pahaK @rauldc14 @Sarge @Siddon

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
This is the biggest Hall of Fame since the 17th.

I'm not trying to be a jerk or anything but my watching time will be extremely limited soon, so please let us know if you won't finish as soon as possible. I think we have a really solid group though and I know who is most dependable so will certainly watch those films first. No offense to the newer people.

The trick is not minding
Wish I could have joined, but the Mandatory Saturday's really cuts into my viewing time. There are so many films i would have liked to have seen here as well.
Hopefully the next one

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
THANKS Vicky!
WILL DO!!

Jojo Rabbit (2019)

Jojo Rabbit, for being a World War II satire about a young Nazi, is actually a pretty safe movie. Of course there are edgier jokes (some of which aren't very funny), but it's also a really, really, heartwarming movie. A lot of this is Roman Griffin Davis being amazing, but a lot of it is also the wonderful script. If you're looking for a profound satire along the lines of Dr. Strangelove or Fight Club, you probably will be disappointed. If you're looking for a warm, lovely, film - here you have it.

And the second time around, I laughed harder at the funny jokes, and laughed less at the stupid ones. The good moments were separated from the bad ones, and same with the accents. There was more to take in, and more to enjoy. I had no idea if a film like this (which really relies heavily on one plot device) could hold up on a second viewing. But it truly does.

From the get-go, we are introduced to characters who feel real, but also absolutely bizarre. However, sometimes, Jojo Rabbit navigates its difficult politics by, well, not really navigating it at all. Take Klezendorf, a Nazi who clearly is not all that interested in the war. He even helps Jojo out later on in the film (twice!). I expected an interesting arc, but instead, the movie sort of pushes him out of the way. I think we can all safely say here that all Nazis can go ****ing die... because Klezendorf is a Nazi, but also does good in the film, does that make him a good character? Evil character? It makes me glad that Tarantino, in Inglourious Basterds, chose to just say "**** all of them" instead of trying to manipulate the audience into thinking some of them were good.

Damn, this is turning into a rather negative review for a movie I really liked! Maybe it's because for each rewatch, flaws become more and more apparent in a movie. For Jojo Rabbit, there are a lot of them. But they don't bother me that much. I don't think this movie is trying to be all that unique and quirky after all. It's just trying to tell a comforting story (as comforting as Nazi Germany can be), and let us know that good does exist in the world.

-

Le Samouraï

[hitman enters the room of the bar owner]
Bar Owner: Qui êtes vous? Who are you?
Jeff Costello: Ça n'a pas d'importance. Doesn't matter.
Bar Owner: Qu'est-ce que vous voulez? What do you want?
Jeff Costello: Pour te tuer. To kill you.
[shoots him]

I am in FULL agreement with everyone so far: this IS the epitome of Cool. And while I usually wait til the very end to thank someone for the enjoyment I had, I will be doing so at the very beginning. THANK YOU @Siddon!

As I remarked previously, I was introduced to this film during the 60s Countdown. Opening the door to other like films such as Le Cercle Rouge (also by Melville). Another, Army of Shadows I have YET to see and truly need to.
I can very easily see the inspiration for the following generations of film makers. One in particular, for me, would be Luc Besson in his early films like La Femme Nikita and Léon. Specifically the secret knock Jeff uses for the card game. Three knocks, two knocks, one knock; I'm sure Besson used it as a salute in the pivotal hotel scene before the explosive confrontation with the entire police force.

I am overjoyed to have gotten to FINALLY rewatch this film and delve deeper into the nuances in the comfort of familiarity as opposed to the captivated first watch where I hungrily delved into every composition of procedures that Melville is very capable of expositioning WITHOUT slowing down any of the pacing or story line one iota. An incredible feat that few can truly pull off and definitely not at this caliber.
With Alain Delon as Jeff Costello, those subtle nuances are expressed far more than the minimalist dialogue and we see it in his eyes in so many scenes. Such as the first time he is stealing a car, using a large key ring of some outrageous amount of keys. We see the almost nervous concern as he stays utterly motionless above the sight of the windows, trying key after key. The tension is far more real then the bravado of most action heroes that act nonchalantly. Leaving nothing beneath the Hollywood facade.
That inner turmoil beneath the veneer is seen in many of the people of this film and, like the scenes themselves, express far more on a variety of levels.

A seriously top notch crime film as well as a very, very seriously top notch film altogether.
BRAVO, @Siddon! F@ckin BRAVO.

Jojo Rabbit (2019)

Jojo Rabbit, for being a World War II satire about a young Nazi, is actually a pretty safe movie. Of course there are edgier jokes (some of which aren't very funny), but it's also a really, really, heartwarming movie. A lot of this is Roman Griffin Davis being amazing, but a lot of it is also the wonderful script. If you're looking for a profound satire along the lines of Dr. Strangelove or Fight Club, you probably will be disappointed. If you're looking for a warm, lovely, film - here you have it.

And the second time around, I laughed harder at the funny jokes, and laughed less at the stupid ones. The good moments were separated from the bad ones, and same with the accents. There was more to take in, and more to enjoy. I had no idea if a film like this (which really relies heavily on one plot device) could hold up on a second viewing. But it truly does.

From the get-go, we are introduced to characters who feel real, but also absolutely bizarre. However, sometimes, Jojo Rabbit navigates its difficult politics by, well, not really navigating it at all. Take Klezendorf, a Nazi who clearly is not all that interested in the war. He even helps Jojo out later on in the film (twice!). I expected an interesting arc, but instead, the movie sort of pushes him out of the way. I think we can all safely say here that all Nazis can go ****ing die... because Klezendorf is a Nazi, but also does good in the film, does that make him a good character? Evil character? It makes me glad that Tarantino, in Inglourious Basterds, chose to just say "**** all of them" instead of trying to manipulate the audience into thinking some of them were good.

Damn, this is turning into a rather negative review for a movie I really liked! Maybe it's because for each rewatch, flaws become more and more apparent in a movie. For Jojo Rabbit, there are a lot of them. But they don't bother me that much. I don't think this movie is trying to be all that unique and quirky after all. It's just trying to tell a comforting story (as comforting as Nazi Germany can be), and let us know that good does exist in the world.

-
That was very much my perception as well. In fact I was wonderfully surprised how warm, how lovely it turned out to be.

The Night of Counting the Years (1969)

An Egyptian film that is ACTUALLY Egyptian (as in, it is Egyptian produced and in Arabic), The Night of Counting the Years takes time to get used to. It is incredibly unique, often quiet and melancholy, but also menacing and profound. It's not something that so much as entertained me, as it did open my eyes.

Taking place in 1881, the first thing that struck me was that this was a clear tale about the relationship between Egypt and Britain (who occupied Egypt at the time). These types of stories - often crime based - that still examine cultural divides, are really cool to watch. There are only a handful of really successful examples (The Farewell or Madame Butterfly come to mind), and The Night of Counting the Years certainly checks the box.

In fact, it's made all the more real when I saw this was based on a true story. An Egyptian clan was raiding and stealing artifacts from tombs of mummies, in order to illegally sell them later. We are confronted with interesting questions about the past, ancestry, and how our lives our impacted by the people before us. In this case, the ancestors of this Egyptian clan are quite literally helping them out as they try to stay on the surface financially.

Three civilizations. One lost in the sand, one the "greatest in the world", and one trying desperately to stay afloat, only to be crushed by the "greater" one. There is so much to examine below the surface here, and if you've noticed I haven't really done much to answer any of the questions I think the movie is asking. That's probably part of the point. It's tricky, and it's often mysterious; much like the hundreds of mummies will continue to rot under the hot sand for millenia.

-

Then I'll be trying something new.
You, Sir, have me intrigued now.
Watching whilst performing a headstand?
Watching them via a strategically placed mirror whilst facing the other direction??
Underwater viewing???
G'wan, give us a clue....

That was very much my perception as well. In fact I was wonderfully surprised how warm, how lovely it turned out to be.
I can't remember who said it originally, but I know my room mate and I repeated it a few times: "Who would've thought that the feel-good comedy of the year would be a film about a Nazi kid with Hitler as an imaginary friend?"

I have some spare time over the next couple of weeks.. Im hoping to have it pretty much done, however the issue is.. not all of these are streaming free on the platforms I have.

I have some spare time over the next couple of weeks.. Im hoping to have it pretty much done, however the issue is.. not all of these are streaming free on the platforms I have.
If you can't find something just give me a PM, I got ya covered

Jojo Rabbit
(Taika Waititi, 2019)

Who knew Hitler could be so fun! At least when Taika Waititi plays him! Oh sure he doesn't look like the Fuhrer, but realism isn't what we really want here. We want to see the lighter side of Nazism while have a good laugh at the Third Reich.

Did this movie go to far? Hell no! There ain't nothing offensive here, it ain't that kind of movie. I mean have people forgotten TV's Hogan's Heros? where Allied prisoners in a Nazi prison camp were played just for laughs and the Nazis were sillier than snot...Or what about Charlie Chaplin's The Great Dictator, which gave us funny Nazi's, while showing the world the dangers of a dictatorship, way back in 1940.

No, Taika isn't the first to cover this subject in this way...BUT and this is a big BUT in this day and age he deserves all sorts of credits for having balls enough to make Jojo Rabbit!

Yes, I thoroughly enjoyed this movie! Especially the first 20 minutes...I don't think I've laughed more at a movie than in the first act of Jojo Rabbit. I do wish the film would've kept the same tone instead we get the Jewish girl under the stairs bit, and that in and of itself worked, but it's old hat and has been done before. I knew before the film ended that we had to be shown that the Nazi's were bad, but I mean come on we all know that. In fact if the viewer is paying attention we can see just how nutty the ideology of the Nazis really is. I mean they're training 10 year old boys to fight, how daft is that?

Roman Griffin Davis was just perfect as the 10 year old would be Nazi who can't even kill a little bunny (and I don't blame him!). He was really good here. I don't even care that he had an English accent he was perfect in his role.

Sam Rockwell, nailed it! I loved his sympathetic one eyed Nazi character who acts as a mentor to young Jojo. The last scene he was in was so well done that it makes me want to watch Moon again. Oh BTW those aren't Americans machine gunning the captive Nazis, hope you all knew that.

Scarlett Johansson, she was great as the loving but tough German mom. I wish she had more screen time and I don't think she needed to come to such an ending...

BTW hope everyone knows that the vast majority of Germans during WWII were NOT Nazis and that includes the German Army too.

Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot from 2020-08-15 18-20-55.png
Views:	606
Size:	283.2 KB
ID:	67216  

I can't remember who said it originally, but I know my room mate and I repeated it a few times: "Who would've thought that the feel-good comedy of the year would be a film about a Nazi kid with Hitler as an imaginary friend?"
LOL I f@ckin LOVE that!!

The Skin I Live in (2011)

This is one of those films where I have really no idea if I agree with what the movie is really saying. No idea if I understand what it's really saying. No idea if it's saying anything. There are certainly arcs and segments that seem not only bizarre, but quite honestly, just plain wrong. It's messed up, but not in the same way as most horror movies. It's disturbing, but more than that, it's a twisted reality and set of moral laws.

But, all of that said, god damn this was really well made. The music is a brilliant mix of softer piano themes, intense strings, and more. During an early scene with a certain tiger, the music is almost something you might hear out of a Marvel movie. Later on, it gets sadder and a bit more contemplative. The film itself never quite slows down.

At the heart of it is the relationship between Robert and Vera. After you realize what it really is, it's... odd, to say the least. It's part of the reason that the morality of the movie confuses me so much. I don't think anyone could justify a relationship like that, but I also don't think the movie wants us to.

My favorite parts of the movie, however, were the flashbacks in which we get to know each of the character's backstories. Sometimes flashbacks can distract from the main story, or add another unneeded subplot, but when done correctly they are some of the most effective techniques in movies. The Skin I Live in chops up its flashbacks in a really cool way, and seeing the story slowly thread together was fascinating.

In many ways, actually, I hate The Skin I Live in. However, it's a rare movie where I love so much of the content that I can kind of forget about the questionable elements. Besides, after one viewing, I'm not sure I could really point out what questionable elements were intentional and which ones weren't... either way, it's a unique experience. And that's why we come to the movies after all, isn't it?

-

Very happy to see review of The Skin I Live In! Glad you mostly liked it, ahwell. It’s a truly messed up movie and it really blew me away when I watched it. I hope the other reviews for it will be at least as positive as yours.