ahwell's Top 100 Movies - 2020

→ in
Tools    

72. Star Wars (1977)

Yeah, I love this. I didn't really think I was going to, especially because it seemed really cheesy at the beginning. But I began to like the cheesiness of it, it made for a more fun ride than the self-serious superhero/action movies made today.

Mark Hamill is a horrible actor. There, I said it. Everyone else does a pretty nice job though, especially Alec Guiness (guys, check him out in Kind Hearts and Coronets, he's hilarious) and Harrison Ford (guys, check him out in Indiana Jones series, he's great). C3PO pissed me off and R2D2 got a bit obnoxious. But I really have zero complaints about the film as a whole. The pacing was perfect, it was so fun to watch, there were intense moments, downright strange moments (the bar scene! wtf) and intimate moments. It sure is a masterpiece, and it seems like I was the only one that hasn't seen it; If you haven't seen it, watch it now. It transcends the usual sci-fi fodder churned out these days. And it's really odd, because I see so many damn flaws in this movie but I can get over them all. I really do love this movie.

I was also late to the Star Wars party. At least when it comes to the originals (I grew up on the prequel trilogy).

I liked the original okay when I first saw it, but it was the rewatch that completely blew me away and I felt like I finally saw what everybody else did. I love it too.

C3PO pissed me off and R2D2 got a bit obnoxious.
Believe it or not I actually like the original Star Wars, and yes C3PO was annoying! Though in the next two Star Wars he got much better....but...R2D2 got even worse.

You don't like Mark Hamil's acting, don't tell me it's wooden I mean yeah he's not the greatest but I thought he was OK. Check out Corvette Summer with Mark Hamil and Annie Potts. It ain't great but it's like having a time machine back to 1978.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.

72. Star Wars (1977)

Yeah, I love this. I didn't really think I was going to, especially because it seemed really cheesy at the beginning. But I began to like the cheesiness of it, it made for a more fun ride than the self-serious superhero/action movies made today.

Mark Hamill is a horrible actor. There, I said it. Everyone else does a pretty nice job though, especially Alec Guiness (guys, check him out in Kind Hearts and Coronets, he's hilarious) and Harrison Ford (guys, check him out in Indiana Jones series, he's great). C3PO pissed me off and R2D2 got a bit obnoxious. But I really have zero complaints about the film as a whole. The pacing was perfect, it was so fun to watch, there were intense moments, downright strange moments (the bar scene! wtf) and intimate moments. It sure is a masterpiece, and it seems like I was the only one that hasn't seen it; If you haven't seen it, watch it now. It transcends the usual sci-fi fodder churned out these days. And it's really odd, because I see so many damn flaws in this movie but I can get over them all. I really do love this movie.

I saw the original Star Wars trilogy in the theaters as they were released, and I loved every one of the first three movies.

I think that Mark Hamill is a weak link of the actors in the movie, but I disagree that he's a bad actor. I've seen him in a few other movies, and I like him. But my favorite Mark Hamill role is when he played himself in an episode of "The Big Bang Theory".

Yes, C-3PO is annoying, but he's supposed to be annoying. That's part of the fun of the character. Even the other characters try to shut him up or ignore him at times. And how can anyone not love R2-D2? He's so cute with his spunkiness and his little sound effects.

You mean me? Kei's cousin?
Believe it or not I actually like the original Star Wars, and yes C3PO was annoying! Though in the next two Star Wars he got much better....but...R2D2 got even worse.

You don't like Mark Hamil's acting, don't tell me it's wooden I mean yeah he's not the greatest but I thought he was OK. Check out Corvette Summer with Mark Hamil and Annie Potts. It ain't great but it's like having a time machine back to 1978.
Hamill's an excellent voice actor. He's, perhaps somewhat surprisingly, proven himself great at voicing villains like Joker and Muska.

71. Little Women (2019)

Just pretty amazing on all fronts. The acting, the characters, the script, the lighting - OMG, that lighting! - they’re all great.

This is such a warm, loving, movie, and I know it's a movie that will stick with me for life.

I repped you for Little Women. I don't know why I did when I hated the movie...but your enthusiasm for Little Women should be worth a rep! Glad you liked it.

Maybe I mentioned this to you already but there is a current PBS version of Little Women on DVD, Little Women (2017) I thought it was pretty good and I've seen all the versions.

I repped you for Little Women. I don't know why I did when I hated the movie...but your enthusiasm for Little Women should be worth a rep! Glad you liked it.

Maybe I mentioned this to you already but there is a current PBS version of Little Women on DVD, Little Women (2017) I thought it was pretty good and I've seen all the versions.

Haha I was sort of thinking of you when I posted that.

Shoot, I keep forgetting to check out the others but I’m really excited to!

Haha I was sort of thinking of you when I posted that.

Shoot, I keep forgetting to check out the others but I’m really excited to!
There's a lot of Little Women versions, including two classics from 1933 & 1949, but it's the later ones that I think you might enjoy the most (the PBS one and my favorite the 1994) If you like the Little Women story, you might like seeing it framed in different ways.

I've not seen Little Women, but I'm absolutely sure I'd hate it if I ever watched it.
That’s the spirit