The MoFo Top 100 Westerns: Countdown

→ in
Tools    

From the last four films, I haven't seen Red River or Winchester '73. I don't remember if I've seen Back to the Future Part III or not (I know I've seen at least the first part as a kid, but I wasn't too interested in this sort of comedies even back then) so I'll count it as a no.

Bone Tomahawk is a second film from my ballot. I had it as my #25 with full confidence that I won't have a 1-pointer this time. These last spots on my list kept changing a lot so another day it may not have made it. Anyways, it's a decent western-horror mix with good acting and pretty decent cinematography. It should have been shorter, though (like all Zahler's films). In a way, it's presence on my list tells more of my lack of admiration towards westerns in general than it's goodness.

Seen 17(+2)/48

My List  

Bone Tomahawk was my #15. I love it when a genre-mix film works for me. And this did. The film was character driven and westernized for most of the runtime, but with something under the surface all the time. And when all hell broke loose, I was all for it! Super fun film and Zahler is definitely a director I’m following closely.
Unfortunately he's not living up to the promise of Bone Tomahawk for me. I thought Brawl On Cell Block 99 was especially bad.

Bone Tomahawk (2015)

People talk about old 1940s & 50s movies having stiff acting, but damn this had some of the worst acting I've seen. I mean if felt like a day time soap opera in the way they delivered their overwritten lines in flat monotones. And the dialogue was as fakey as monopoly money. Especially in the saloon scene where all the cast is gathered to discuss going on the hunt for the missing girl, just the way they deliver their lines sounded like they just didn't care at all. The violence, while gory, was of the velveeta cheesy John Carpenter type.

The one character I liked and thought was good was David Arquette. Sadly he didn't get much air time as he was eaten off camera

As a so bad it's good type of movie I could see people enjoying this with a six pack of Red Bull and a big bag of Slim Jims.

Unfortunately he's not living up to the promise of Bone Tomahawk for me. I thought Brawl On Cell Block 99 was especially bad.
I loved it.

Dragged Across Concrete however, felt like an exercise in style gone wrong. I still liked it okay though.

Welcome to the human race...
Bone Tomahawk seems to be quite divisive
heh

Neither Bone Tomahawk or Winchester '73 made my final list, though they definitely came close. I'm going to predict that the former ends up being the only real horror/Western hybrid on the list (not sure what other contenders there are - Near Dark is a highly debatable example that I think won't actually end up here) and in that sense I suppose it's a decent example of sub-genre representation (though I'm having trouble imagining myself revisiting it for a number of reasons). Winchester '73 is just another one of those solid meat-and-potatoes Westerns that Anthony Mann was so good at.

I'm going to predict that the former ends up being the only real horror/Western hybrid on the list (not sure what other contenders there are....
Dead Birds for one

I'm going to predict [Bone Tomahawk] ends up being the only real horror/Western hybrid on the list (not sure what other contenders there are ,,,
Depends on one's definition I suppose but Ravenous (1999), The Burrowers (2008), Dead in Tombstone (2013), Blood Moon (2014), The Wind (2018), A Knife for the Ladies (1974), ummmmmmm Billy the Kid vs. Dracula (1966) and Jesse James Meets Frankenstein's Daughter (1966)?

I won't say which may have made the countdown.

"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Bone Tomahawk also made my list at #21, glad to see it here as I wasn't sure it would place.

Seen: 9/48
- Slow West (#95)
- The Big Gundown (#85)
- The Furies (#84)
- The Shooting (#71)
- The Grey Fox (#66)
- The Great Train Robbery (#60)
- Meek’s Cutoff (#58)
- Red River (#56)
- Bone Tomahawk (#54)

My ballot:
19. Red River
21. Bone Tomahawk

I was sure I'd put Bone Tomahawk on my list, but since I didn't after considering it means it was one of the last films cut. But I do really like it. Mixing horror with westerns could feel too gimmicky most of the time, but here it works, somehow managing to feel true to both the western genre and the horror genre, helped by a really good script and the performance by Kurt Russell, along with a small but effective co-starring cast. I particularly like Richard Jenkins in everything I see him in. This is one I've recommended to a few people.

Winchester '73 was #14 on my list...

Winchester '73 (Anthony Mann 1950)

Kicking off the decade of the 1950s and ushering in a more complex style of western story telling is Winchester '73. A western that helped revitalized James Stewart's sagging film career. James Stewart screen persona was transformed from his usual likeable, down-home character...to a hardened, man on the edge, who's looking to kill for revenge. Stewart pulls off this much more complex character in a powerful and believable way. The movie itself has an unusual structure and pacing. The focus is on a very special gun, the Winchester '73 whici is a 'One in a Thousand' model. The movie follows the story of the people who come into contact with this highly sought after firearm.

James Stewart is solid in his performance and pairs well with Millard Mitchell who I couldn't help thinking of as an older Arthur Kennedy.

For me the highlight of the movie was the dynamic pairing of two of Hollywood's most colorful stars, Dan Duryea and Shelley Winters. Duryea is 'Waco Johnny Dean', a man who would shoot someone just because he was bored. He abducts Shelley Winters who despite being in danger still doesn't hesitate to tell Waco just what she thinks of him...and it ain't pretty either! When Duryea and Winters are together their chemistry flies and so does the time as Winchester '73 is only 90 minutes long.

+

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
The next to show up on my list is Red River at #24--

Red River

Sims Reeves: Plantin' and readin', plantin' and readin'. Fill a man full o' lead, stick him in the ground an' then read words on him. Why, when you've killed a man, why try to read the Lord in as a partner on the job?

This is a pretty solid western. Even with the quick wrap up ending that was not initially intended when Hawks made this film. Though, in a way, I can let it by knowing full well how an angry woman yelling at two men in a fight and everyone knows everyone, just how quickly the wind gets knocked out of both men's sails and they go from roaring to mewing, pretty d@mn quick.

But, let's get to the full film itself.

This has all the trappings of a d@mn good, ole time western. Starting with two iconic actors that would become synonymous with Westerns; Walter Brennan and John Wayne and adding on, playing the next generation of "building up something great', Montgomery Clift. Who sets out to, not only prove himself, but to finish the job. His butting heads with Wayne's Dunson as well as the "sizing up" between him and John Ireland's Cherry Valance (f@ckin cool name) that turned into a mutual respect, were some of the best situations in this film.
Add in the tough, seasoned prairie lady, Tess Milay, played with a cagey warmth by Joanne Dru, you have a great cast as well as a strong list of characters to enjoy and get caught up in.

And I was very much caught up in it. From the beginning when Dunson leaves the wagon train and a woman he loves to set out on his own, and finding Clift's Matt, as a tough youngster and together with Brennan's Groot, setting up a ranch of Dunson's own. we move a decade or so later to when he must move his cattle and horse herd a thousand miles to Missouri. With all the conflicts, internal and external that could and would occur. Making for some great western style scenery and scenarios.

A definite Must See for anyone who loves Westerns
I've only seen Back To the Future III once and spent the entire time rolling my eyes.

Annnd, from the very same Hall of Fame as Red River:

Bone Tomahawk

Chicory: Mr. Brooder just educated two Mexicans on the meaning of Manifest Destiny.

Now, I've pretty much seen just about every kind of Western and cross-over there is throughout my life. Even more so in these recent years being a part of this diverse website. And while I was a bit hesitant about this one, I was very much pleased by it all. Even the incredibly gory ending which was incredibly done and kept me on the edge of my seat for the entire time of the remaining act of this film.

While everyone did a really great job, I thought Richard Jenkins did an even more exceptional job with some great nuances involving gestures, expressions and dialogue. I have seen him in countless films where he usually played a more cowardly, almost weasel-like character but here he really embraced and ran with the "back up assistant deputy" with such sincere flair and a genuine tip of the hat to the old sidekick while creating his own rendition at the same time. I really loved him in this.
The matching of him along with the hard-nosed sheriff played by Kurt Russell who, in my opinion, while doing what he's already known for countless times before, really put in the effort on this one; the old film caricature of a dapper gunslinger done with actual depth by Matthew Fox and, finally, the tenacious rancher (Patrick Wilson) who struggles with a bad leg and refuses to give up trying to rescue his wife, who also brings a lot more than the usual damsel in distress by a very beautiful Lili Simmons; is a great blend of western characters done well.
Their trek through the plains is a credit to many past traveling plots of past westerns with a great mix of inner conflicts and begrudging respect.
All of which climaxing in a tense, truly gory ending that stays with you -- whether you wish it to or not.

Quite the intense and very well done western nomination.
Winchester '73 was one of several I had wanted to watch beforehand and will be added to my ever growing Rectification List.

Movies Watched 30 out of 48 (62.5%)

MY LIST

6. Ride The High Country (#63)
11. The Grey Fox (#66)
24. Red River (#56)

After not thinking much of Winchester 73 a few years ago, I watched it again for this and loved it. I really enjoyed seeing the story play out and Jimmy Stewart was excellent, but I love Dan Duryea. I'm surprised it's not higher.

Bone Tomahawk was one of the last movies I cut.

I watched a The Sons of Katie Elder and liked it much more than I expected. John Wayne and Dean Martin did their thing and the action was terrific when it came. A little darker in tone throughout and it could have been dynamite.
-

11. The Shootist (1976) (#57)
18. Day of the Outlaw (1959) (#77)
19. Red River (#56)
24. The Furies (1950) (#84)
25. Winchester 73 (1950) #53

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
After not thinking much of Winchester 73 a few years ago, I watched it again for this and loved it. I really enjoyed seeing the story play out and Jimmy Stewart was excellent, but I love Dan Duryea. I'm surprised it's not higher.

Bone Tomahawk was one of the last movies I cut.

I watched a The Sons of Katie Elder and liked it much more than I expected. John Wayne and Dean Martin did their thing and the action was terrific when it came. A little darker in tone throughout and it could have been dynamite.
-

11. The Shootist (1976) (#57)
18. Day of the Outlaw (1959) (#77)
19. Red River (#56)
24. The Furies (1950) (#84)
25. Winchester 73 (1950) #53
That definitely adds to my desire to watch Winchester. I've always enjoyed Duryea.
And I've tried a few times to watch Katie Elder and never seem to get past the first 10-15 minutes. It just never seems to grab me at the get-go. Though something tells me one of these times I'll stay put and it'll be worth it.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
I thought about watching Bone Tomahawk when it was nominated in the recent HoF, but when I read a little bit about the movie, I quickly realized that it was definitely not my type of movie, so I decided against watching it. From what I've been reading about it in the HoF and in this thread, it sounds like I made the right decision.

I saw Winchester '73 many years ago, and while I didn't remember much about the movie, I did remember that liked it, so it was an early addition to my watchlist for this countdown. When I saw it in the TV listings, I immediately set my DVR to record it, only to find out when I watched it, that it was the 1967 TV movie version, not the 1950 movie version. (To add to the confusion, Dan Duryea is in both versions.)

The 1967 TV movie was good, but it wouldn't have made my list, but when I finally got around to watching the 1950 movie, it was great, and definitely worth the time it took for me to find it. I'm glad that I remembered that James Stewart was in it, so I went looking for the right movie. The 1950 movie was #19 on my list.

My list so far:
1) Oklahoma! (1955)
6) Support Your Local Sheriff (1969)
7) The Frisco Kid (1979)
9) Maverick (1994)
12) North to Alaska (1960)
13) The Bravados (1958)
16) City Slickers (1991)
17) The Hanging Tree (1959)
19) Winchester '73 (1950)
25) Incredible Rocky Mountain Race (TV Movie - 1977)

The movie follows the story of the people who come into contact with this highly sought after firearm.
After seeing it several times, I began seeing the eponymous rifle itself being the lead character, haha — with the other characters filling in supporting arcs around the gun's journey (to an extent that's practical as a story, anyway).

The Winchester is framed in a way that goes beyond a typical MacGuffin plot device — where objects like Citizen Kane's Rosebud or numerous Hitchcock objects are mostly relegated to the background in a fog of mystique as the narrative plays out. Whereas Mann's Winchester is very much at the center of the action for multuple major sequences. Even something like Pulp Fiction's suitcase, which gets a good amount of screen time compared the aforementioned older examples, remains shrouded behind questions (e.g., what the object itself is, how it came to be, unclear relevance to narrative, etc).*

The Winchester reminds me more of things like the title object in Ophuls' The Earrings of Madame de.... Both of these, along with those Welles' and Tarantino's films, can be read as examples of Lacan's objet petit a concept — but films like Mann's and Ophuls' seem to distinguish themselves regarding the object's treatment.

The other films' objects come across as being intentionally loyal to the concept's "obscure" factor. But Mann and Ophuls go the other way, treating the rifle/earrings as more obvious symbols (allegories, even) referencing social experiences specific to history or a group of people; less universal and more observational.*

In the case of these two "distinct" film examples... The use of guns during the West's encroachment of first settlers' land, and the unintended adoption of them by the latter group that needlessly exacerbated social relations during that era. Or in Ophuls' case: a woman paralyzed by social expectation, trying her best to get rid of the earrings gifted by her husband, which are framed as a sort of "contract" for their relationship — the laws of which only seem to apply to her rather than both of them. The earrings' symbolic nature is so dynamic and inescapable throughout, even in casual scenes where they're not drawing any focus, that her "unattainable desire" manifests in indecisive behavior and ambivalence.

Didn't mean to type this much, haha. Just got carried away. The other post(s) in here dismissing Winchester '73 as perfectly typical (or a "meat and potatoes Western", as one user put it) motivated me to elaborate on these things more than I usually would. Lol. Not an attack on that user or others btw, just thought I'd offer another perspective for some variety.

The bottom fifty of MoFo’s Top 100 Westerns rounds out with two more modern day Westerns. The first is Tommy Lee Jones’ theatrical debut as a director (he previously helmed the Western TV-movie ”The Good Old Boys” and afterwards directed The Homesman) working with a script by Guillermo Arriagam (Alejandro González Iñárritu’s Amores Perros, 21 Grams and Babel). It tells the story of 21st Century rancher Peter Perkins (Jones) whose friend, the undocumented Melquiades Estrada, is mistakenly killed by a U.S. Border Patrolman (Barry Pepper) who has newly arrived in Texas. When Pete figures out who killed his friend he kidnaps him at gunpoint and forces him to dig up the body and transport it, via horseback, to Estrada’s small hometown across the Mexico border for proper burial, as he had once requested. Race relations, honor, and guilt drive the narrative, but it is Tommy Lee Jones’ steady hand in front of and behind the camera that make it sing. Three Burials was on six ballots with three top ten votes: a fifth, a seventh, and a tenth.

George Stevens’ Giant is a three hour and fifteen-minute epic drama blockbuster adaptation of Edna Ferber’s best selling novel about ranchers and oilmen in Texas featuring an all-star cast of Elizabeth Taylor, Rock Hudson, Mercedes McCambridge, Carroll Baker, Chill Wills, Sal Mineo, Dennis Hopper, and James Dean in his final screen role. Dean starred in three films before the car accident that killed him at the age of twenty-four: East of Eden, Rebel Without a Cause, and Giant. He died just a week after he wrapped on Giant (with the movie still in production) and one of his scenes had to be looped by another actor (Nick Adams) in post production. Those two years before his death were so full of work and promise that he became the first actor to get a posthumous Oscar nomination, first as Best Actor for East of Eden and then duplicating that the next year when he was nominated as Best Actor again for Giant. He won neither – Ernest Borgine won for Marty the first time (Spencer Tracy was also nominated that year for Bad Day at Black Rock) and Yul Brenner the second time for The King & I. Co-star Rock Hudson was also nominated as Best Actor. Giant was nominated for eight other Academy Awards including Best Picture and it won Best Director for Stevens, his fourth nomination and second win.

Like The Three Burials of Melquiades Estrada, Giant also deals with prejudice and discrimination against Mexicans in Texas, more as one of its subplots, though pretty frankly and honestly for a mainstream 1950s Hollywood product. The main plots follow the Benedict family on Reata, a gigantic half-million acre cattle ranch covering several counties of Texas as well as a rival (Dean) who winds up with a piece of the ranch where he strikes oil. Two generations of feuding and loving, with Taylor’s Marylander who Hudson marries being the catalyst for much of the tension and envy. If you’ve never seen it and think it sounds kinda like the 1980s primetime soap ”Dallas”, that’s no accident. The creators of that show were clearly inspired by the novel and film. Unfortunately we didn’t find James Dean in the shower revealing his death had been just a dream. Giant was on seven MoFo ballots. Only one top ten vote, a fourth placer, but an impressive 91 points. It had the same number of votes as Three Burials but it’s fourth place top vote was one higher than Tommy Lee’s fifth.

We are officially halfway there!

The bottom half of the list was comprised of eleven movies each from the ‘60s and ‘70s, ten from the ‘50s, five from the 2000s, four a piece from the ‘80s and ‘90s, three from the ‘40s, and a pair from 1900-1929.

The Three Burials Of Melquiades Estrada was quite close to making my list but sadly didn't quite make the cut in the end, happy to see it show up. Not sure I've ever seen Giant all the way through tbh, then again with my memory who knows lol.

Seen: 26/50 (back to plodding along)
My list:  

Faildictions (yee-haw version 1.01):
50. Carry On Cowboy
49. True Grit (2010)

Twenty years in and The Three Burials of Melquiades Estrada remains one of my very favorite movies of the 21st Century. I had it as the tenth Western on my ballot. Estrada is a revenge tale, but much like the issue of modern immigration that it tackles it is more complicated than that. The same story in lesser hands might have turned into something more Grindhousy, but Tommy Lee Jones as both director and the central actor adds such gravitas and humanism instead of pulp. There is a laconic sadness emanating from the actor and the film that I connected to immediately. Barry Pepper’s patrolman gets to be more than just a one-dimensional villain, too, as the killing was an error made in an instant and not indiscriminate or full of hatred. There are plenty of other wonderful details and characters beyond the central pair and the titular dead man (who we do get a sense of through a couple of nice flashbacks) including Dwight Yokum as the sympathetic local sheriff, January Jones as Pepper’s bored wife, and Melissa Leo as a waitress and sometimes paramour. Chris Menges (The Killing Fields, The Mission, Dirty Pretty Things) lends first rate cinematography and the movie feels both timeless and very much of its time, dealing very thoughtfully with the immigration subject without becoming a polemic. I’m very, very happy it made the countdown. Good going, MoFo!

Seven of mine showed in the bottom half of the collective list.

HOLDEN PIKE'S LIST
7. The Ballad of Cable Hogue (#83)
10. The Three Burials of Melquiades Estrada (#52)
13. My Name is Nobody (#79)
14. The Grey Fox (#66)
16. Hombre (#88)
18. Pursued (#73)
25. Support Your Local Sheriff! (#89)