22nd Hall of Fame

Tools    

I have to ask why are you on the fence about Joker? It sounds like you haven't seen it already?
I mean looking at the trailers you can kind of see the tone/story of it, I’m assuming that’s what Ed did.

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
I have to ask why are you on the fence about Joker? It sounds like you haven't seen it already?
I mean looking at the trailers you can kind of see the tone/story of it, I’m assuming that’s what Ed did.
The reason for my uncertainty is like ahwell remarked, from the various trailers and while it looks like a solid film with the usual seriously solid performance by Phoenix, I honestly couldn't decide while viewing them if it was something I wanted to check out on my own accord. Unsure, exactly, the why of it, it just didn't hit me with a really strong desire.

Of course, seeing that @Miss Vicky nominated it does alleviate a nice chunk of that uncertainty due to the running streak of films by her I either fully enjoy or completely love from previous viewings.

Interesting.

When I first heard about Phoenix being cast as the new Joker, I was not excited. When I saw the makeup test and set footage, I was not excited. But when that teaser dropped, I thought “holy s***, this is going to be amazing.”

I didn’t quite love it the first time I saw it, close but not quite, but loved it the second time around. It is very dark but it’s not humorless - though the humor is pretty twisted. There’s one scene in particular that stands out to me as being equal parts horrifying and hilarious and I can’t wait to see what you think of it.

I’ll be very surprised if you don’t at least like Joker, @edarsenal .

My wife and I both thought it was hilarious.
Can’t tell if that means you liked it or not lol

I thought it was ironically funny, but maybe I’m just really mean spirited.

Can’t tell if that means you liked it or not lol

I thought it was ironically funny, but maybe I’m just really mean spirited.
We both loved it, legitimately thought it was hilarious.

My wife and I both thought it was hilarious.
Good thing you got someone by your side just as twisted as you, cricket.

But while I wouldn’t consider the entire film hilarious it does have two of the funniest scenes of the year. The hospital scene and the apartment scene. One really short one and one a little longer one. Well you know which.

Anyways, looks like I’m off to a great start with this HoF (don’t worry, all that will probably plummet fast soon). As said earlier I got Inglourious in and now I can also cross of I, Daniel Blake. Reviews tomorrow (hopefully... maybe).

Interesting.

When I first heard about Phoenix being cast as the new Joker, I was not excited. When I saw the makeup test and set footage, I was not excited. But when that teaser dropped, I thought “holy s***, this is going to be amazing.”

I didn’t quite love it the first time I saw it, close but not quite, but loved it the second time around. It is very dark but it’s not humorless - though the humor is pretty twisted. There’s one scene in particular that stands out to me as being equal parts horrifying and hilarious and I can’t wait to see what you think of it.

I’ll be very surprised if you don’t at least like Joker, @edarsenal .
hmm, I may have to open up with this one since I'm pretty curious myself, now

I'll be watching The Matrix first which I have never seen before
Wow, had no idea you never saw it. I honestly couldn't guess where you'll end up on this one. Should be a pretty interesting read.

while searching for Joker I have found that Blue Ruin is on Netflix right now along with Matrix and Inglorious Basterds
Thank you! Didn’t bother searching for Blue Ruin as for some reason I assumed they wouldn’t have it.

Thank you! Didn’t bother searching for Blue Ruin as for some reason I assumed they wouldn’t have it.
I watched Orson Welles’ The Stranger on Netflix not too long ago. And that’s the Danish Netflix might I add, who only carries stuff like Pulp Fiction, Braveheart and White Chicks.

I watched Touch of Evil on there too actually, but was even more surprised to see a “lesser known” Welles film on there. I’m guessing there has to be a big Welles fan among the Danish Netflix upper staff.

The trick is not minding
I could have sworn I saw I, Daniel Blake was available on Netflix as well.
At least it was last month. Am I missing it or did they remove it already?

The reason for my uncertainty is like ahwell remarked, from the various trailers and while it looks like a solid film with the usual seriously solid performance by Phoenix, I honestly couldn't decide while viewing them if it was something I wanted to check out on my own accord. Unsure, exactly, the why of it, it just didn't hit me with a really strong desire...
Oh, I thought it might for another reason other than violence. I didn't find Joker very violent, at lest compared to a lot of movies. I liked it.

Oh, I thought it might for another reason other than violence. I didn't find Joker very violent, at lest compared to a lot of movies. I liked it.
Edarsenal described himself as a “Tarantino fanboy” so I don’t think he has a problem with violence.

Mildred Pierce (1945)
Directed by: Michael Curtiz
Starring: Joan Crawford, Jack Carson, Zachary Scott

Mildred Pierce is a film noir with a melodramatic character study sandwiched into its centre. It's a strange mix that works better than one would expect. While I'd personally prefer a larger serving of noir, the dramatic aspect is quite compelling thanks to Joan Crawford's performance as the titular character, and an altogether excellent supporting cast. Ann Blyth in particular excels as the spoiled, manipulative daughter, whose complete lack of compassion seems evident to everyone around her.

Mildred loves Veda despite the child's flaws, and it's this love which drives most of her actions throughout the film. She's cautious of the men in her life and their attempts to exploit her, but allows Veda to consistently lead her into ruin. She is otherwise a strong, hard-working woman whose only fault was caring about her children too much. Whether or not this was meant to be commentary on a woman's place in the home is open to debate, but it nonetheless makes for an interesting film.

Most of the story is a retelling by Mildred herself, so the blend of genres makes sense from her perspective. She's reflecting on her past, and her emotions are ultimately going to colour each event. The tragic elements of the plot feature harsher shadows that make them look appropriately darker than her happier memories. The cinematography is of course at its best when it leans more heavily into elements of noir for the introductory scenes, and later for the climax once the flashback narrative catches up to the film's opening.

Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	mildred.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	161.3 KB
ID:	64180