Western Hall of Fame II

Tools    

I just looked at the other films by The Salvation director Kristian Levring. I've never heard of any of his movies. So yeah, that makes him an unknown to the actors (unless they've seen and loved some of his previous work). I'm surprised he got two big name stars for his film.
Yeah, looking at his work it's hard to say. I haven't seen anything of his. But his Antichrist movie had Willem Dafoe in it.

You nominated The Ox-Bow Incident. I guess you were a little bothered when I criticised the drunk acting, but I thought it was a pretty good movie. It's one of those classics you hear a lot about, so I'm glad I watched it. Plus it had a very powerful theme and actually got me pretty emotional. I think I shed a tear.

I must be on his ignore. I fully did not like The Great Silence.
...You nominated The Ox-Bow Incident. I guess you were a little bothered when I criticised the drunk acting, but I thought it was a pretty good movie. It's one of those classics you hear a lot about, so I'm glad I watched it. Plus it had a very powerful theme and actually got me pretty emotional. I think I shed a tear.
I wasn't bothered that you didn't love The Ox-Bow Incident. I usually love some movies in an HoF, hate others and are indifferent to many. But...it's always cool for me to see stuff I'd never seen before, or that I hadn't seen in a long time. This time I'd seen most except: The Shooting and The Salvation. So it's cool that I can say I seen them now, and the girl in The Shooting was pretty, that's a plus

I wasn't bothered that you didn't love The Ox-Bow Incident. I usually love some movies in an HoF, hate others and are indifferent to many. But...it's always cool for me to see stuff I'd never seen before, or that I hadn't seen in a long time. This time I'd seen most except: The Shooting and The Salvation. So it's cool that I can say I seen them now, and the girl in The Shooting was pretty, that's a plus
https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0674012/?ref_=tt_ov_st_sm

Millie Perkins has a pretty impressive resume. I liked how The Shooting played on her beauty. Warren Oates didn't fall for her charm, he was smart. And Jack Nickolson was a real gem in that movie. I'm planning on watching Goin' South, with Nickolson. So far I only watched a clip, which was priceless. He was being hung unless somewhere would marry him, and an old lady agreed to marry him. He was delighted even though she was so old, and then she died right then and there. And they went to hang him up again. Sounds like a blast.

I'm hoping that either The Great Silence, or The Shooting win this HoF.

They Call Me Hallelujah (1971)

This might appeal more to people who like The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly than to me. I didn't like it, but I think it has potential for those who like this type of film.

The nun sure was gorgeous.

Is the Great Silence still necessary?
It was necessary to begin with. Oh you mean to review it? My bad, I though you meant it being made 😆

Do I still have to watch it?

The trick is not minding
It was necessary to begin with. Oh you mean to review it? My bad, I though you meant it being made 😆

I think so, since he did finish the HOF

Yes, sorry for the false notice, Zotis dropped out and then rejoined and finished.

The Shooting

I wasn't all that fond of The Shooting.* It's got a boring plot thag didn't really do anything with the major plot point set up in the first ten minutes.* And even thoygh Javk Nicholson did a great job as the villain, the characters all felt like they were driven by the absolute basics of western character stereotypes: dull hick, tough guy, independent bitch.* She was also kind of annoying.* The second half of the movie was a huge imorovement due to Nicholson's role.

3 stars.

The Great Silence

I finally got this done. Wow, this movie was beyond brutal, even for the 60's. Right after the opening credits it shoots at you with a heavy hit to the emotions and it rarely takes a break. The end was the absolure heaviest. I'm not spoiling it but I haven't felt that way about a movie ending since I first watched Sin City. And the acting was mostly wonderful. Almost everyone in the cast felt real in their own special way.

5 Stars.

Meaning we’ve got just seven reviews left in nine days! Nice job everyone.

I really hope your not mad at me, ahwell... especially since I was so critical of your nomination, and dissed the HoF. I knew those comments had the potential to be upsetting, but I had to say them anyway because it's how I really felt. Don't be mad at me though. It's just that I'm in a different place.

I've been watching more Westerns to prepare for the List. I normally don't like to participate in the lists, but I am wanting to be more involved, so I'm going to participate in this one. When I think of a HoF, I think it's people's chance to share a great movie. I get disappointed when the movies turn out to be cliche. I just watched three really great Westerns, and I think everyone here should check them out because they really were amazing.

The Life and Times of Judge Roy Bean (1972)
The Belle Starr Story (1968)
One-Eyed Jacks (1961)

These are the kind of gems I always long for finding. They were real treats and I highly recommend them. They're not cheesy at all, they're not cliche, they have great acting, and they tell great stories.

I don't want any hard feelings with anyone, even Wyldesyde19. I did put you on ignore for a couple of days, but that was just to cool off because I was very insulted. I forgive you though, and I don't hold any grudges against anyone.

Thanks for hosting the HoF, ahwell, and I look forward to the final results when they come in. It's a lot of work hosting a HoF, and I appreciate you letting me join a bit late, and letting me rejoin after I dropped out.

I really hope your not mad at me, ahwell... especially since I was so critical of your nomination, and dissed the HoF. I knew those comments had the potential to be upsetting, but I had to say them anyway because it's how I really felt. Don't be mad at me though. It's just that I'm in a different place.

I don't want any hard feelings with anyone, even Wyldesyde19. I did put you on ignore for a couple of days, but that was just to cool off because I was very insulted. I forgive you though, and I don't hold any grudges against anyone.

Thanks for hosting the HoF, ahwell, and I look forward to the final results when they come in. It's a lot of work hosting a HoF, and I appreciate you letting me join a bit late, and letting me rejoin after I dropped out.
I think I understand you Zotis and I knew you didn't mean to diss Ahwell, you were just saying how much you disliked most of the noms in the HoF. I realized that's what you meant, because we've been on MoFo for almost 6 years so I've learned to interpret your post. I'm glad you're taking interesting in the Western Countdown and Thank you for finishing the HoF.

The trick is not minding
There are times you don’t need to say how you feel, Zotis. Surely you should know that.
Your latest post is more of the same, with more comments about the nominations being cliche. Why post anything about that? Just let that go. The rest of your post would have been fine. It’s just more of the same from you, though.
It also points out a slight hypocrisy. When Citizen posted his criticism about Soldier Blue, you went off the handle and called him out for as if it was a personal attack on yourself. But was he not entitled to do so because it was “how he really felt”?
“I’m just in a difference place”. Is this meant to excuse your behavior?
I was insulting. You were as well. Don’t hide behind false platitudes.

Also, I second OneEyed Jacks. Really good movie. I’ve been wanting to see Roy Bean for awhile. Never heard of Belle Star. Looks interesting.

As for your opinion of the films being cliche, the Ox Bow Incident is anything but. Especially considering it was released in 1943 Even Liberty Valance had a deeper theme behind it. More so then The Great Silence. And that’s not to trash your pick, just pointing out where you may have missed them due to some sort of bias here.

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
Also, I second OneEyed Jacks. Really good movie. I’ve been wanting to see Roy Bean for a while. Never heard of Belle Star. Looks interesting.
You should definitely check Roy Bean out. It's been some time since my last viewing, but I wholly agree with @Zotis about this film.

Oh, and btw, I just need to write up Salvation and Good/Bad/Ugly leaving me with Dead Silence and Shooting to knock out this week.

You should definitely check Roy Bean out. It's been some time since my last viewing, but I wholly agree with @Zotis about this film.
Count me as a fan of The Life and Times of Judge Roy Bean. It's a bit quirky and Paul Newman is colorful and quirky too! But I thought it was fresh and quite different than anything I've seen.

The trick is not minding
Rio Bravo

This is the typical Ford-Wayne western that was always a crowd pleaser. It’s much the same viewed today, as it must have been upon its first release. It’s got the usual cast of characters that reside in a Ford Western, played by the usual suspects. Ward Bond and Water Brennan for example, in the usual supporting roles.

The story is pretty straight forward, a classic story of good vs evil. And the direction is pretty good, as the tension is drawn out over a period of a few days and nights. There’s no real silliness to interrupt like most Ford westerns. But that’s because it isn’t a Ford Western. I’ve been purposely mentioning Ford, as he has long been considered the father of westerns, but Howard Hawks, who directed Rio Bravo, has always been there as well.
Here he relievers a fine film full of tension, filled with actual characters rather then caricatures. Fords a fine director, but he tends to dot his films with the latter where they become almost distractions. Hawks was the right choice.

Wayne is actually really good here, using his gestures to convey his unease in the beginning after arresting a outlaw for murder. Glancing this way and that, looking for the trouble that will inevitably appear
Dean Martin is also affective as Dude, the drunk.
The only miscast here was Nelson as Colorado. He seemed too wooden while trying to appear serious in his scenes with Wayne. He improves somewhat towards the end.
And Angie Dickinson makes the most of her scenes. More fragile then she’d care to admit to anyone. Even herself. Her vulnerability ever so evident in a few scenes where she lets her guard down.
It’s a good film, with a Climax that doesn’t quite live up to expectations, as there is no final duel between Chance and Burnette.
Instead, there’s a hastily put together ending between Feathers and Chance.
Which is fine. I mean, it’s Angie Dickinson looking ultra sexy in tights. Who’s going to complain about that?
Great film, great scenes, great pair of legs on Dickinson.
I might be obsessed with Dickinson now.
I’m done.
Wait....*hits pause button on Dickinson*
Ok. Now I’m done.