Western Hall of Fame II

Tools    

Thank you, the credit belongs to CosmicRunaway however. I think she got tired of my posts having an unsightly generic avatar and took matters into her own hand haha
Well then, bless her heart! And she has good taste too if she picked that image out.

The trick is not minding
Thank you, the credit belongs to CosmicRunaway however. I think she got tired of my posts having an unsightly generic avatar and took matters into her own hand haha
Well then, bless her heart! And she has good taste too if she picked that image out.
She did, with my input. I just wanted a wolf silhouette across a moon and she delivered this fantastic avatar. I owe her

The Great Silence (1968)

I heard someone say that in the opening scene, when Silence shoots four men, it wasn't realistic, in terms of how quick he was to the draw, and that there were four of them. But it showed them hiding in the snow, and in advance he spotted one moving. So he knew they were there. Then it only showed one pop up and draw on him before he drew and blasted them. It made sense to me that there were not four drawing on him at the same time, but that one drew and the others followed with delay. It didn't show the other three except for when they fell after being shot. I didn't find this unrealistic or hard to believe.

Being an Italian dub, this had some of the same issue as The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly. There was a totally different atmosphere and pace with the voice acting than with the live acting. I guess it made sense, but I didn't agree with it. If it were me, I would have made the voice acting more realistic and less stylistic. The sherif also had an absurd comedic tone that I didn't like, but it was a much more serious and realistic movie by comparision.

WARNING: "key parts and the ending" spoilers below
When Tigrero was being taken by the sherif, and found his gun in the snow, I reflected on how they showed him leaving it there in advance. A lot of movies have characters pulling rabbits out of their hats, so to speak, without ever demonstrating that the rabbit was there in advance. It was really nice to see this sort of preparation. Tigrero was a very intelligent villain who was never really caught off guard because he prepared for so many scenarios and was very crafty and flexible.

There were two endings for this movie. The first ending reflected on the historical events of the massacre that took place. It was tragic and painful to watch the villains prevail. In the alternate ending the Sherif returns, presumably having survived his assumed death, and Silence has a sort of armor over the hand that was presumed injured. I prefered the tragic ending.

Overall this wasn't as good as I remembered, but still was a very good movie. I'm glad to have watched it again, and feel that I can look at it more objectively now.

Salo would be good for an Extreme Film HoF and that idea has been mentioned before so I think there'd be interest in it.
That I could see and it would be a good nom for that HoF. I actually like Salo - maybe respect it more than like. It's one of those films that I just get an urge to watch every few years but I would never "force" someone to watch it for a general HoF. It's too much.

The Salvation (2014)

This wasn't as good as I was hoping. The premise felt a little forced, like more of an excuse for violence than a real story. At first I thought the villain seemed a lot like Negan, and I was watching a wild West version of The Walking Dead, but then I realised it actually was Negan. I guess Jeffrey Morgan got type casted a bit. I felt like a lot went unsaid in this movie. The script was a little cliche and sparce. In a lot of ways this was a fairly generic movie. People just say what they typically say in other movies and shows. There is an expression, “Art based on real life will always be superior to art that is based on other art.” This was a movie based on other movies, not on real life, unfortunately. It was entertaining, but nothing more.

Well, I'm finished. That's all eight for me. I have to say other than The Shooting and rewatching The Great Silence, this HoF was pretty dissapointing. It was more of a chore than anything else. It's my own fault for starting it though. I should have known better. At least it's over with.

The Salvation (2014)

This wasn't as good as I was hoping. The premise felt a little forced, like more of an excuse for violence than a real story. At first I thought the villain seemed a lot like Negan, and I was watching a wild West version of The Walking Dead, but then I realised it actually was Negan. I guess Jeffrey Morgan got type casted a bit. I felt like a lot went unsaid in this movie. The script was a little cliche and sparce. In a lot of ways this was a fairly generic movie. People just say what they typically say in other movies and shows. There is an expression, “Art based on real life will always be superior to art that is based on other art.” This was a movie based on other movies, not on real life, unfortunately. It was entertaining, but nothing more.

Well, I'm finished. That's all eight for me. I have to say other than The Shooting and rewatching The Great Silence, this HoF was pretty dissapointing. It was more of a chore than anything else. It's my own fault for starting it though. I should have known better. At least it's over with.
Really glad to see so much negative vibe in these HoFs, what with the ongoing Comedy argument and now this.

I don’t understand the point of complaining about something when others might enjoy it. I do these HoFs to discover new films, and some I like more than others. You surely understand it’s disheartening for me, as host, to read that others hated the HoF?

But, whatever, you’ve been negative the entire time, so, although I’m impressed you finished, Citizen Rules was right that we should have just shaken hands and not made you do this terrible chore of a HoF.

You surely understand it’s disheartening for me, as host, to read that others hated the HoF?
You're doing fine. Don't worry about it. I really enjoyed this HoF.

The trick is not minding
As did I. I almost wrote a response earlier to his negative posing and his whining on every other friggin post.
Screw him.
You’ve hosted a wonderful HOF and I’d join the next one you host

Really glad to see so much negative vibe in these HoFs, what with the ongoing Comedy argument and now this.

I don’t understand the point of complaining about something when others might enjoy it. I do these HoFs to discover new films, and some I like more than others. You surely understand it’s disheartening for me, as host, to read that others hated the HoF?

But, whatever, you’ve been negative the entire time, so, although I’m impressed you finished, Citizen Rules was right that we should have just shaken hands and not made you do this terrible chore of a HoF.
No, it's fine. I'm glad I finished, and nobody made me do it. I chose to.

I haven't been negative the entire time though. I actually enjoy doing critical reviews thank you very much. Please don't slander.

It's not your fault that most of the movies in this HoF weren't very good. It's the people who nominated them. Most HoF's are like this, which is why I have a hard time finishing them and don't like to participate in them. You were a good host. We just have very different taste in cinema.

The trick is not minding
It's not your fault that most of the movies in this HoF weren't very good. It's the people who nominated them. Most HoF's are like this, which is why I have a hard time finishing them and don't like to participate in them. You were a good host. We just have very different taste in cinema.
This is merely your opinion, not a fact so please don’t presume to pass it off as such.
Most of your posts have indeed been negative, or full of complaints about what a chore it is to have participated in this.

It was worth joining to get a bunch of people to watch The Great Silence. It's such a great film and deserves more recognition. And, I think everyone liked it. Did anyone not like The Great Silence?

I actually didn't mind Who Shot Liberty Valance. That's the only John Wayne Western I've given more than 2.5. I think my favorite John Wayne movie is Sands of Iwo Jima.

The Salvation (2014)

That's exactly how I felt about The Salvation, I really expected more with Mads Mikkelsen in it. It was an assembly line movie built out of CG and movie star names.

That's exactly how I felt about The Salvation, I really expected more with Mads Mikkelsen in it. It was an assembly line movie built out of CG and movie star names.

I do like Mads Mikkelsen, but I've had this kind of experience with him before. He's the kind of actor who I think just takes any role he's offered. Like, I thought his acting in the movie was good, but I think the movie itself was beneath him. Then again, the same could be said about Eva Green. I like Eva Green, and her acting was solid in The Salvation, but she can do better. Ah well, I guess it's just work for them. They're actors and it's their job. Who knows what went on behind the scenes.

I do like Mads Mikkelsen, but I've had this kind of experience with him before. He's the kind of actor who I think just takes any role he's offered. Like, I thought his acting in the movie was good, but I think the movie itself was beneath him. Then again, the same could be said about Eva Green. I like Eva Green, and her acting was solid in The Salvation, but she can do better. Ah well, I guess it's just work for them. They're actors and it's their job. Who knows what went on behind the scenes.
I like both of those actors too. It just depends on what movies they land in. I once heard a well known actor being interviewed on a late night TV talk show and they said something that struck me odd. The actor was asked if they knew the movie was going to be a hit while making it, and the actor said, 'no, that it's hard to tell what the movie will actually be like until they see the finish product'. Maybe that's why so many good actors end up in bad movies. I'm sure on paper some of these movies look great.

I like both of those actors too. It just depends on what movies they land in. I once heard a well known actor being interviewed on a late night TV talk show and they said something that struck me odd. The actor was asked if they knew the movie was going to be a hit while making it, and the actor said, 'no, that it's hard to tell what the movie will actually be like until they see the finish product'. Maybe that's why so many good actors end up in bad movies. I'm sure on paper some of these movies look great.
Yeah, I can understand that sentiment. I get that they feel that way. They take the job not knowing how it'll turn out. But I think there are actors who aren't very good at choosing roles, and actors who are. Great actors choose roles based on a good script and knowing the director's material. They don't just take what the studio offers them, or their agent. It's more than just being good at acting. You have to have a nose for sniffing out good work.

I just looked at the other films by The Salvation director Kristian Levring. I've never heard of any of his movies. So yeah, that makes him an unknown to the actors (unless they've seen and loved some of his previous work). I'm surprised he got two big name stars for his film.