Western Hall of Fame II

Tools    

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.

Rio Bravo (Howard Hawks, 1959)

Dean Martin...I'm also a big fan of Dino and his 'drunk trying to go straight' is one of his plumb roles. I like the way they give him a rough and tumbled look with dirty & tattered clothes and Martin makes the most of it too. I like the way we follow Martin's struggle away from the bottle back to redemption and in that way the character's are more important than the plot.

If you want to see Dean Martin is a different kind of role, check out the movie Rough Night in Jericho (1967). It's the only movie where Dean Martin played the villain, and it's a pretty good movie too.

The trick is not minding

Rio Bravo (Howard Hawks, 1959)

Dean Martin...I'm also a big fan of Dino and his 'drunk trying to go straight' is one of his plumb roles. I like the way they give him a rough and tumbled look with dirty & tattered clothes and Martin makes the most of it too. I like the way we follow Martin's struggle away from the bottle back to redemption and in that way the character's are more important than the plot.

If you want to see Dean Martin is a different kind of role, check out the movie Rough Night in Jericho (1967). It's the only movie where Dean Martin played the villain, and it's a pretty good movie too.
Sounds familiar. Western, right? Is that the one with Robert Mitchum? And Martin plays a priest?

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
Sounds familiar. Western, right? Is that the one with Robert Mitchum? And Martin plays a priest?

Yes, it's a western, but no, Robert Mitchum isn't in Rough Night in Jericho (1967).

And Martin doesn't play a priest. He plays a corrupt sheriff.

The trick is not minding

Yes, it's a western, but no, Robert Mitchum isn't in Rough Night in Jericho (1967).

And Martin doesn't play a priest. He plays a corrupt sheriff.
Hmm. I may have switched their roles anyways, I think it was Mitchum as the priest.

Edit: looked it up, I’m thinking of Five Card Stud.

Thanks, I hadn't heard of that but I'll give it a watch.

Rio Bravo

Dean Martin's deputy is a far more tragic/humanistic character. Delving deeper into the realities of a drunkard trying to climb his way out of a bottle with all the fears embodied in it. And Martin really brings his best to this role. It's not a caricature, not the funny drunk, but a broken man searching for the courage he fully believes has left him...
I like that, I should have wrote that Totally agree.

I do really like El Dorado too. I'm just not a big fan of the third one Rio Lobo which was Howard Hawks last film. His second to last was El Dorado three years earlier. I guess he really liked westerns.

The trick is not minding

Rio Bravo

Dean Martin's deputy is a far more tragic/humanistic character. Delving deeper into the realities of a drunkard trying to climb his way out of a bottle with all the fears embodied in it. And Martin really brings his best to this role. It's not a caricature, not the funny drunk, but a broken man searching for the courage he fully believes has left him...

I do really like El Dorado too. I'm just not a big fan of the third one Rio Lobo which was Howard Hawks last film. His second to last was El Dorado three years earlier. I guess he really liked westerns.
It’s funny, Rio Lobo is available on Amazon prime. Going to the local rental to start c he cling out what they have available tomorrow.
Going to finish up comedy first., have to hit up the library for that though. (Just 4 more and I own one of them)

I’ll be doing another review this week to keep up with this

Women will be your undoing, Pépé

Thanks, CR. Martin definitely stepped out of the usual "romantic drunk" of a lot of westerns and you really have to give him credit for that.

El Dorado has been on my re-watch list and now I need to very soon just to get a better comparison of the two to flesh out my review. As well as to give it a proper placement in my List.
I don't think I've actually watched the third one, Rio Lobo though.

And I just looked up Rough Night in Jericho. Along with Martin there's Jean Simmons, George Peppard and Slim Pickens. Definitely need to add that to my Western Watch List. THANKS for mentioning it, @gbgoodies!

The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance

In my humble opinion this is the second best Western ever made (after Blazing Saddles, because how can you beat that?) The performances are great, for starters. John Wayne is such a legend, as is James Stewart, especially in this movie. I think this is my favorite performance of his, even better than Rear Window or Harvey.

John Ford's direction is naturally spot on. The movie drags a bit, and I think sometimes loses its tight focus on the nature of law and order, but overall a very satisfying and fantastic film.

The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly

An absolute blast, I loved all three hours!

I just said that "The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance" was my second favorite Western of all time. Well that's been bumped down to third now, because this movie is now my current favorite.

Acting was great, cinematography was great, and even the screenplay was pretty damn good for a Western.

Well done, Leone!

+

The Salvation (2014)

This was just plain silly. The opening scene in the stagecoach station had promise and I hoped it would be a movie with fleshed out characters, deep themes and an intelligent script...But nope I got none of that.

Instead The Salvation plays out like a bad 1990s slasher movie were the people's actions are so implausible that you want them to get killed just for being so stupid. And true to it's slasher styling, the bad guy is as one dimensional as they come. I couldn't believe the scene where the bad dude comes into town and announces that the town's folks better find the killer of his brother within two hours OR he will kill two town's folks and so does...and old lady and a double amputee, OMG! Talk about an unbelievably situation. No time was spend building up why the bad guy was so evil or had so much power over the town's folks. Later on we see the wimpy sheriff and a half dozen of his deputies in a scene and they're armed, so we know the town's folks have guns, so they could have fought back.

The whole film infuriated me: example Mads Milkkelson has escaped and is armed with a repeating rifle and is hiding behind a big rock as a dozen or so of the bad men ride in close formation out in the open of the prairie. Mads' character is both an ex soldier and expert hunter, he could have killed everyone one of those men. With no cover they'd dropped like flies. The whole movie was like that with a lazy script that seemed best suited for a video game.

Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	tumblr_inline_nm4fxoTzFs1r3y16c_500.jpg
Views:	441
Size:	44.5 KB
ID:	59314  

The Cowboys

Wil Anderson (John Wayne) needs to get his cattle to market. The problem is every able bodied man in the area has gold fever and leaves Wil high and dry. Desperate, he enlists the help of a few young boys.

They don't make coming of age stories like this anymore. Whiskey, prostitutes, a bit of shooting... The good ol' days. Had I seen this back in the 70's I wouldn't have batted an eye at it but it's one of those movies that viewed through todays eyes is a bit whoa! in parts especially considering its PG rating. John Wayne does a pretty decent version playing John Wayne and the kids are all pretty impressive little cowboys. Being a western you need a bad guy so enter Bruce Dern, thief, murderer and all around bad dude. Dern is really good as the no-name bad guy. It never hurts to be Bruce Dern when portraying a bad guy. He has the look.

The Cowboys moved along at a pretty good clip. It has some very nice shots of the landscape which is a requirement for any truly good western, imo. The kids do a lot of growing up from the beginning to the end and their growth didn't feel rushed. Small little lessons that all added up. We don't get to know all of them that well but we do get to know them well enough as a group. I really enjoyed this.

The Cowboys (1972)

I like John Wayne, I do...The character, that is. I don't know much about his personal life other than he's been described as being right wing. But that doesn't matter to me. I mean I like Woody Allen and he's one weird dude. But people seem to really hate John Wayne and I'm not sure why? But maybe they should watch more of his films. If they did they'd see he has more dimension to him than meets the casual observers eye.

Here in The Cowboys we see he's tough as nails on the outside while having a soft spot for the boys he hires (hmm, that sounds odd) What I mean to say is: he's lost his own two sons and had grown old. His concern is for his wife's well being and later for the boys he hires to work for him. He comes to think of them like sons. So unlike other of Duke's films we see a softer side, we see a man who loves his wife and is even gentle and kind to her.

I loved the way the film takes it time and never rushes. It allows us to spend time so that we can feel we're a part of the story. A lot of movies just don't linger on the moment, The Cowboys does and does so at the right times.

The other impressive thing is the actual cattle drive. Think about it, this isn't CG crap and it's not just close ups of three cows in somebodies pasture. We see a large cattle drive in stunning wide angle, distance shots as they travel through the vast country side. I mean we see a lot of terrain, and it's easy to forget how hard on-location shooting is for the film maker, especially when done in so many different and rugged landscapes. Most films today would not have spent the time and money to do this.

Oh, big shout out to the best psycho-bad guy around, Bruce Dern! Damn! he was impressive as the unhinged cattle rustler...very believable and so very daunting.

Great film and I'm glad to have rewatched it.
Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	les-cowboys.jpeg
Views:	598
Size:	126.1 KB
ID:	59315  

The opening scene in the stagecoach station had promise and I hoped it would be a movie with fleshed out characters, deep themes and an intelligent script...But nope I got none of that.
That was the best scene by far. Was hoping it would maintain that or at least build off it but nope. Never reached that level of tension again. I liked it more than you but I like these kinds of revenge movies, warts and all. I did think the same thing about the "bad guy." When he first made an appearance I thought well, he must be the bad guy because he's wearing black head to toe.

That was the best scene by far. Was hoping it would maintain that or at least build off it but nope. Never reached that level of tension again. I liked it more than you but I like these kinds of revenge movies, warts and all. I did think the same thing about the "bad guy." When he first made an appearance I thought well, he must be the bad guy because he's wearing black head to toe.
I meant I liked the scene in the stage coach building, before they got onto the stage coach. I thought the scene inside the stagecoach was contrived. I mean without any buildup these two guys start harassing the woman. It would've been better if they had been three stagecoach robbers, who held up the stage, killing the driver and then two of them got into the cabin and started harassing the woman. That would have gave them enough back story and motivation to make their actions seem more plausible.

Oh, okay. Just the opposite for me. Stagecoach robbers wouldn't have worked for me in this particular movie. Not saying a movie like that wouldn't be good just that it didn't fit into what this movie was setting up.

I wasn't a big fan of the Salvation either. Did the lighting bother anyone? For some reason the lighting, camerawork, maybe makeup and costumes? I don't know, it felt very very fake.

I wasn't a big fan of the Salvation either. Did the lighting bother anyone? For some reason the lighting, camerawork, maybe makeup and costumes? I don't know, it felt very very fake.
Yes...I didn't go into that in my review, but I could tell it was made on a tight budget. Different shots of the city and the train looked CG and overall it didn't look good. And the bad guys looked more contemporary than someone from the old west.

Rio Bravo

Excellent! I'm loving John Wayne more each time I see him. He has a subtle but effective way of acting. He doesn't exactly tell us what's going on, and what his character motivations are, but we're left to interpret them.

And speaking of that, I've finally come across a Western that prioritizes heavy dialogue and strong characters over gun violence and silly moments of dramatic suspense. Rio Bravo does have moments like that, but it doesn't take itself as seriously as a lot of other Westerns do.

Overall, just a charming and quite amazing watch!

Women will be your undoing, Pépé

The Cowboys

Wil Anderson (John Wayne) needs to get his cattle to market. The problem is every able bodied man in the area has gold fever and leaves Wil high and dry. Desperate, he enlists the help of a few young boys.

They don't make coming of age stories like this anymore. Whiskey, prostitutes, a bit of shooting... The good ol' days. Had I seen this back in the 70's I wouldn't have batted an eye at it but it's one of those movies that viewed through todays eyes is a bit whoa! in parts especially considering its PG rating. John Wayne does a pretty decent version playing John Wayne and the kids are all pretty impressive little cowboys. Being a western you need a bad guy so enter Bruce Dern, thief, murderer and all around bad dude. Dern is really good as the no-name bad guy. It never hurts to be Bruce Dern when portraying a bad guy. He has the look.

The Cowboys moved along at a pretty good clip. It has some very nice shots of the landscape which is a requirement for any truly good western, imo. The kids do a lot of growing up from the beginning to the end and their growth didn't feel rushed. Small little lessons that all added up. We don't get to know all of them that well but we do get to know them well enough as a group. I really enjoyed this.

The Cowboys (1972)

I like John Wayne, I do...The character, that is. I don't know much about his personal life other than he's been described as being right wing. But that doesn't matter to me. I mean I like Woody Allen and he's one weird dude. But people seem to really hate John Wayne and I'm not sure why? But maybe they should watch more of his films. If they did they'd see he has more dimension to him than meets the casual observers eye.

Here in The Cowboys we see he's tough as nails on the outside while having a soft spot for the boys he hires (hmm, that sounds odd) What I mean to say is: he's lost his own two sons and had grown old. His concern is for his wife's well being and later for the boys he hires to work for him. He comes to think of them like sons. So unlike other of Duke's films we see a softer side, we see a man who loves his wife and is even gentle and kind to her.

I loved the way the film takes it time and never rushes. It allows us to spend time so that we can feel we're a part of the story. A lot of movies just don't linger on the moment, The Cowboys does and does so at the right times.

The other impressive thing is the actual cattle drive. Think about it, this isn't CG crap and it's not just close ups of three cows in somebodies pasture. We see a large cattle drive in stunning wide angle, distance shots as they travel through the vast country side. I mean we see a lot of terrain, and it's easy to forget how hard on-location shooting is for the film maker, especially when done in so many different and rugged landscapes. Most films today would not have spent the time and money to do this.

Oh, big shout out to the best psycho-bad guy around, Bruce Dern! Damn! he was impressive as the unhinged cattle rustler...very believable and so very daunting.

Great film and I'm glad to have rewatched it.
VERY happy to hear you both enjoyed it.
Quite agree with all that was said. It does give John Wayne a more tender side when it comes to his wife and how he takes care of the kids under his watch. And yes, Bruce Dern is an EXCELLENT villain. Just all out menacing.

I've always considered this as very true to the essence of a good western and glad to see some love for it.