20th Hall of Fame

Tools    

High Noon

Some mixed feelings about High Noon. I loved the way the story was told - in real time, with each minute ticking down to the climax. It was thrilling and the final climax didn't disappoint for the most part. But the characters and the actors who played these characters were completely stiff. That's the usually the thing that turns me off from enjoying Westerns. The marshal didn't feel like a character who was well fleshed out, and I didn't believe Gary Cooper playing him either. Grace Kelly was wooden, surprisingly, I love her in Rear Window.

So, I get the appeal of this film, I guess. It's really well edited (that part when the clock hits noon and we're shown the reaction shots of everyone is just masterful!) and has an original and interesting premise. It's also a good allegory for the McCarthyism of the era. But, unfortunately, that doesn't make up for the frankly boring execution and characters. Still a solid movie, maybe with a rewatch I would like it more.

+

Cool Hand Luke

Set in the late 40's...
I didn't realize this was suppose to take place in the 1940s. I just assumed that everyone was poor and had old cars. Did you read that somewhere or how did you know?

High Noon
...the characters and the actors who played these characters were completely stiff. That's the usually the thing that turns me off from enjoying Westerns. The marshal didn't feel like a character who was well fleshed out, and I didn't believe Gary Cooper playing him either. Grace Kelly was wooden, surprisingly, I love her in Rear Window....
I can see someone saying the actors were stiff. I thought Grace Kelly seemed stiff in Dial M for Murder. And Gary Cooper is an actor that either people like him or don't. So I do get what you're saying. But...I don't think westerns in general have stiff actors as a rule. Though they often have archetype characters who might seem stiff as they aren't really fleshed out and three dimensional.

I'll have to see if I can change your mind about stiff westerns when we hopefully do a Western Top 100 Countdown and some Western HoFs to go along with it. I think I know of a few westerns where the lead character has lots and lots of soul.

Is it too late for me to join?
I'm afraid so it's pretty late in the show. Most of us are well on the way to being done and Miss Vicky is already done...I'll be finished with the movies in just a day or two.

I hope you'll join the 21st HoF and Raul is currently taking movie nominations for the Japanese Film HoF link

And Siddon will be starting a Comedy HoF in a few days, you out to join that one, the last one was a blast!

Is it possible for me to host a gangster movie HoF or a war movie HoF?

It's just a matter if people will join right now or not? As there's a lot of HoFs going people might not have the time to join it, or maybe they will.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.

@KeyserCorleone,

You should ask about a Gangster Movie HoF or War Movie HoF in the Movie HALL of FAME Archives & Info thread to find out how many people would be interested in joining it.

I can see someone saying the actors were stiff. I thought Grace Kelly seemed stiff in Dial M for Murder. And Gary Cooper is an actor that either people like him or don't. So I do get what you're saying. But...I don't think westerns in general have stiff actors as a rule. Though they often have archetype characters who might seem stiff as they aren't really fleshed out and three dimensional.

I'll have to see if I can change your mind about stiff westerns when we hopefully do a Western Top 100 Countdown and some Western HoFs to go along with it. I think I know of a few westerns where the lead character has lots and lots of soul.
Yeah, I meant the characters being stiff, not the acting really. Movies like Tombstone and Open Range I liked but felt they had characters that just weren't all that great.

My favorite Western right now is your favorite, Blazing Saddles. I'll join a Western HoF though, especially if there's a countdown.

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
@KeyserCorleone,

You should ask about a Gangster Movie HoF or War Movie HoF in the Movie HALL of FAME Archives & Info thread to find out how many people would be interested in joining it.
That is the best route. Any one can host a Hall of Fame. Like gbg says, go to that thread, post the suggestion and with those interested, set up a coming month to start one up in along with others who are looking to start their own up. It's a courtesy to both other hosts and to participants so that everyone can get into what ever HoFs are going on and not miss out.
Both are great suggestions. Don't think there's been a gangster film, but there has been a War HoF so it would be a War 2, which is pretty cool. There are a number of HoFs that continue again and again.

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
I didn't realize this was suppose to take place in the 1940s. I just assumed that everyone was poor and had old cars. Did you read that somewhere or how did you know?
IMDb. They have it as, I believe, 1949. Though Wikipedia claims it's early 50's and AMC Filmsite puts it at 1948.

Phantom Thread

Big thumbs up for Phantom Thread. This movie has such a deathly boring premise, it has no business being interesting. But Paul Thomas Anderson pulls off a masterpiece, and makes a story that is at snail's pace and fascinating. Daniel Day Lewis delivers the usual powerhouse performance, with Lesley Manville also playing Cyril fantastically. Vicky Krieps is also very good as Alma. So acting was phenomenal, to start. The characters felt real and fleshed out, Reynolds - ******* that he was - is a very believable and real-life character that I felt I could meet.

The movie also did a really good job of setting up the atmosphere for "high class" London, especially in the 1950s. The soundtrack is gorgeous, and the classical music choices were perfect - particularly the use of Ravel's String Quartet. The cinematography was excellent and the movie had a great palette of colors that really made it unique.

Definitely going high on my ballot.

+

Is anyone interested in hosting 21st? If not I'd be willing to.

Phantom Thread (2017)

I tried watching this once before. Got about a half hour in and turned it off. Phantom Thread is not my cup of tea but I did finish it this time and it did get better as it went on.

DDL is Reynolds Woodcock, genius garment maker who begins a relationship with waitress Alma. The movie is an examination of their dysfunctional relationship.

The one thing I knew I'd get from Phantom Thread is a good looking movie. Paul Thomas Anderson knows how to make a great looking film. All the technical aspects of the movie are spot on. Costumes, sets, the acting is good and the music is very good. The story is always the wild card in an Anderson film and that's where this lost me. I just didn't find it all that interesting. There were moments I liked (taking the dress back from the drunk woman) and the ending was good but most of the movie was just dry.

Anderson makes films that usually benefit from multiple viewings and I think Phantom Thread is no different. The problem is that unlike Joaquin in The Master or DDL in There Will be Blood I didn't find any of the characters in Phantom interesting enough for me to want to sit through it again.

Here's where we're at so far:

Hey Fredrick 7/11
John Connor 4/11
Miss Vicky 11/11 Ballot received
Neiba 4/11
Rauldc14 6/11
Siddon 1/11
Ahwell 11/11 Ballot Received
Citizen Rules 9/11
Cricket 7/11
Edarsenal 6/11
Frightened Inmate 1/11

We're into this one month and we're doing pretty darn good! Let me know if the movie/review count is wrong for you and I'll correct it.

I haven't heard from, Frightened Inmate No. 2, his nom
The Squid and The Whale (2005) is still in the HoF, but you might want to hold off watching it just in case he doesn't post any more.

Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	a.png
Views:	619
Size:	8.7 KB
ID:	58083   Click image for larger version

Name:	b.png
Views:	599
Size:	7.6 KB
ID:	58084  

I have The Squid and the Whale next in my Netflix queue as I want to see it anyway. Inmate will probably show up with a bunch of reviews. Luke tomorrow for me.

I am in this by the way...this is just at the bottom of my queue so to speak.
You've always finished HoFs, that's why I didn't even question if you'll finish as I know you will finish.