20th Hall of Fame

Tools    

I didn't expect to hate it that much, either. Actually, I don't know if I've ever hated a movie more than this one.
Oh come on, you can't honestly say Music Man was worse than Split.

@Citizen Rules, is Music Man in your all time top ten, or just profile (I know some people like to switch up their profile favorites).
Good question. I don't think I could make a top 10 or top 100 as I don't have that kind of relationship with movies, so my profile is more of a display of movies I think are really great, but not necessarily my top 10.

Wow. Now I'm actually VERY intrigued. Even more than Platform and Red Psalm (not sure you've seen Red Psalm?)
I haven't seen Red Psalm.

I'd take the ugly and boring Platform over the cringe-fest that is The Music Man. I think i'd rather gouge out my eyes than sit through Platform again, but for Music Man I'd have to gouge out my ears, too.

Wanna bet?

I despised Split, but it at least had a few interesting shots and I only had to suffer for about an hour and a half. If I believed in hell, I imagine it would be something like having to sit through this movie again. I was not just being hyperbolic when I said "I was cringing so hard it felt like I was in actual pain."

She already decided she wanted to hate it before even seeing it, so of course she's going to hate it as that's what she wanted to do.

...First Time:
The Music Man I'm going to hate this. No doubt about it...

She already decided she wanted to hate it before even seeing it, so of course she's going to hate it as that's what she wanted to do.
Not true.

I never want to hate a movie. I want to like every movie I watch. I don't go looking to torture myself or waste my time with films that I'm going to hate. Desire and expectation are not the same thing.

And expectation doesn't always align with outcome. There have been plenty of times that I've expected to enjoy something and ended up hating it or vice versa.

Rear Window (1954)

What I'm going to do is to type out my thoughts as usual. Then also post my old review of Rear Window, which I haven't read since I wrote it. That way you guys can see how much my opinion changed and how much it staid the same.

Hitch is the master of the controlled, planned shot. He knows exactly where he wants the focus in the scene to be and how to stage that scene and position the actors to further the emotional flow of the story.

It's a great story too, but after several viewings the thriller-mystery part is gone for me as of course I already knew exactly what was going on and how it would all end. But what I did appreciate this time around is the relationship difference between the park avenue, haute couture beauty Lisa (Grace Kelly) who initially seems to be ill suited for the ecliptic, voyeuristic nature of the confirmed bachelor, L.B. Jefferies (James Stewart). Jefferies is out right rude to Lisa (pronounced Liza in the movie) and Lisa leaves him for good...until his bored, peeping into rear windows convinces her that he has indeed seen a murder. Their duel belief that a crime really happened then proceeds to glue the couple together.

I thought Grace Kelly was perfect in her role as a well-to-do, fashionable woman. She moves so gracefully with such poise, even her accent sounds royal. But what impressed me most about Hitch's work was Grace Kelly's wardrobe choices. It starts off with the most elaborate of high fashion dresses, with Grace looking like a princess in her black and white dress with the full tool skirt. Then throughout the movie she still looks great, but her wardrobe begins to get more casual...Until finally in the last scene she appears down-to-earth in pants and a button down shirt reading a magazine...But then when Jefferies falls asleep she coyly switches back to reading her favorite Bazaar fashion magazine...Iove that the scene!

My review from a couple years ago, wow! my opinion did change, that's why it's good to keep an open mind when watching a film.

Rear Window
(1954)

Director: Alfred Hitchcock
Writers: John Michael Hayes (screenplay), Cornell Woolrich (short story)
Cast: James Stewart, Grace Kelly, Thelma Ritter

My favorite scene was the establishing shot starting in the apartment - with the window blinds up, then the blinds go down - the camera then zooms out the window, peeping into the lives of the other apartment's rear windows...finally the camera comes back in and we see it's hot! Stewart is sweating bullets! and the mercury in the thermometer is rising, really rising! Then we see Stewart frantically trying to itch his leg in the cast, brilliant!

That's very well done, as it gives us the feeling of what it's like to be trapped in an apartment, stuck in a wheel chair, bored as hell, while sweltering in the heat...This then drives the story forward and sets the tone for the movie. Which tells us that being a peeping-tom voyeur is not a healthy hobby!

James Stewart is perfect in this role. He's one of my all time favorite actors and is well cast here. And big kudos to a great actress, Thelma Ritter. I loved the scene they shared together at the start of the movie. This is when we learn of Stewart's philosophy on marriage and life. It's a very well written script too. And I just got through watching a short interview with the script writer John Michael Hayes, which was very insightful.

I liked Grace Kelly in this. She's better here than in Dial M for Murder. Even the scriptwriter John Michael Hayes, said she was stiff in Dial M. She's certainly pretty and very fashionable too, just look at those photos! I'd say her best quality is her classy, poise. However she was my least favorite of the actors.

I'm not a fan of Hitch's trick photography, like the glowing effect of the camera's flash bulb, I think it takes away from the rest of the film's brilliance. Hitch is the master of entertainment films, but the more I watch and rewatch his films, I realize they were the blockbuster CG movies of his day, but with Hitch it's the skill that he puts into his direction, that makes his films memorable.

++

Women will be your undoing, Pépé

The Music Man (Morton DaCosta, 1962)
Imdb

Date Watched: 10/16/19
Cinema or Home: Home
Reason For Watching: 20th MoFo Hall of Fame, nominated by Citizen Rules
Rewatch: No.

each song seemed somehow worse than the last - culminating in the absolutely horrid "Shipoopi" ("A woman who'll kiss on the very first date is usually a hussy"? F*** you, movie).

-
I have always loved and respected you for continually going out of your comfort zone to explore films, for good, and a lot of times, for bad.
But, migod I DO enjoy your rants when it goes bad. This one made me burst out laughing. Even though I have no idea what your voice sounds like, I heard it, plain as day, full of rage and fury as I read it and couldn't stop laughing.
I am SERIOUSLY considering putting this in my Signature.

I have always loved and respected you for continually going out of your comfort zone to explore films, for good, and a lot of times, for bad.
But, migod I DO enjoy your rants when it goes bad. This one made me burst out laughing. Even though I have no idea what your voice sounds like, I heard it, plain as day, full of rage and fury as I read it and couldn't stop laughing.
I am SERIOUSLY considering putting this in my Signature.

"Shipoopi" ("A woman who'll kiss on the very first date is usually a hussy"? F*** you, movie)
...I am SERIOUSLY considering putting this in my Signature.
Of course you know that the movie is poking fun at the old fashion mid western values at the turn of the century. It's not endorsing them, it's satirizing them.

Music Man has kind of turned into the Movie of the Week lol.

How often do you do this? I’d like to join for the next HoF.
OK, good question...The next Main Hof will be the 21st, I'm guessing who ever host it will start it after this one is over in about 2 months. But there's always other Specialty Hofs starting up, just keep an eye on the board as there will be another starting soon.

The trick is not minding
There was some list that was set up that had film themes, genres and such that I was interested in as well. Think it was some sort of challenge?

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
There was some list that was set up that had film themes, genres and such that I was interested in as well. Think it was some sort of challenge?

Maybe the "2019 Movie Challenge" thread?

https://www.movieforums.com/communit....php?p=1973337

The trick is not minding

Maybe the "2019 Movie Challenge" thread?

https://www.movieforums.com/communit....php?p=1973337
That’s it! I couldn’t find it before. I’d love to join for that this coming year as well
Thank you!

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
That’s it! I couldn’t find it before. I’d love to join for that this coming year as well
Thank you!

You're welcome.

Just watch for the new thread for the "2020 Movie Challenge" around January.

The trick is not minding
Thank you!

You're welcome.

Just watch for the new thread for the "2020 Movie Challenge" around January.
I plan to, looking at the challenge I’ve actually done quite a lot of it already. Probably would have accomplished more had I been aware of this site previously.
Oh well, really looking forward to next years challenge