Ahwell's Lists and Projects

→ in
Tools    

#5 Fantasia vs. #12 Fantastic Planet

1. Originality

Fantasia
Fantasia is chock full of some of the most original ideas Disney has ever had. First of all, the abstract Bach scene is so amazing, how they did that with colors and shapes. In the rest of the film, we get everything from a scene in a mythical forest to the stages of evolution to an animal ballet - this is one of the most original movies ever made!

2. Script/Screenplay

Fantastic Planet
Fantastic Planet doesn't have much for a script, but it least it has one! This one isn't really fair, but Fantastic Planet still has decent enough writing. Neither of these movies are about the writing, so this isn't a very important part.

3. Animation

Fantasia
Fantastic Planet is really well animated; Fantasia blows it out of the water. This totally deserves a nomination for best looking animated film. There is so much COLOR! What would audiences have though in 1940, only a year after Wizard of Oz stunned everyone.

4. Characters

Fantasia
Chernabog is one of my all-time favorite movie villains, so this one isn't really close. I also like every other character. Mickey Mouse in the Sorcerer's Apprentice is adorable, plus everyone in The Dance of the Hours is really great too. Chernabog steals the shows as one of the darkest villains Disney has ever made.

5. Music/Sound

Fantasia
Fantastic Planet actually has a great and original soundtrack. But once again, this one isn't tough at all. The whole idea of Fantasia exists because of music that came before it. And gosh, is it good music. I love every piece used in the program, although the shortened and edited version of Rite of Spring sometimes does annoy me.

6. Themes/Values

Fantastic Planet
What if we were not the most intelligent beings in the universe, and instead were slaves to giant blue people on a different planet? I guess that's what Fantastic Planet seeks to answer. It is a frightening answer, a post-apocalyptic world as visionary and scary as Brave New World and 1984...

7. Structure/Pacing

Fantastic Planet
Both of these movies are... finely structured I guess. I have less issues with Fantastic Planet so I'm going with it. For me this movie has a really strong opening, and it leaves us frightened and confused. Although the protagonist disappears halfway through that lessens its impact only slightly.

Fantasia - 4
Fantastic Planet - 3

Winner: #5 Fantasia

Fantastic Planet is the easy winner for me there.
I really liked Fantastic Planet, but Fantasia is a top 5 animation for me so not much of a contest.

#6 Pinocchio vs. #11 Waking Life

aka more "Classic Disney vs. Weird Adult Stuff"

1. Originality

Waking Life
Oof, this would be easy, but Pinocchio of course is one of the original animated movies. I'm giving it to Waking Life, because (a, it probably is more original, and (b, this was Disney's third movie I believe, so they had already gotten a lot of original and groundbreaking ideas out in Snow White and Fantasia.

2. Script/Screenplay

Pinocchio
Sometimes simpler is better. Waking Life can get rambly, but Pinocchio is pretty great. I love all the character speaking parts, including Gepetto and Pinocchio. Some of the conversations, especially with the Blue Fairy, are both clever and magical. This makes for a great screenplay.

3. Animation

Pinocchio
The animation for Waking Life can be really beautiful, but it can also be nausea for the eye. Once again, I find the simple and colorful Pinocchio to have better animation. It doesn get stuffy with colors and tone schemes, and its just wonderful, bright, and delightful.

4. Characters

Pinocchio
Pinocchio as a character is one of my all-time favorite Disney protagonists. He's just relatable, so true (ironically), and such an interesting character. Besides him, we've get the fairy, Jiminy Cricket (our "Christ" figure), and Gepetto, alll great characters.

5. Music/Sound

Pinocchio
After hearing it millions of times, "When You Wish Upon a Star" still gives me chills. It truly deserves its spot as the Unofficial Disney song. This is overall one of Disney's best soundtracks, possibly better than anything written in the Renaissance even. There's something so honest and true about the music in this era.

6. Themes/Values

Waking Life
The themes of Waking Life are too good to miss. There are some deep topics covered here, most involving our consciousness and relationships with our dreams. But there are themes of death, religion, and love that get tied in to a beautiful story.

7. Structure/Pacing

Waking Life
What do I like so much about the structure of Waking Life? I actually don't love it, but I like it more than Pinocchio's. Classic Disney can get iffy on structure. Waking Life is fine, but what sets it apart is its stunning originality. The structure and pacing is like nothing ever put to film, except for films like Tale of Tales and Mirror.

Pinocchio - 4
Waking Life - 3

Winner: #6 Pinocchio

I agree with you, but not enthusiastically so. I'm not a fan of either of Linklater's entries in the countdown (mainly because I don't particularly like rotoscope animation) but I also find Pinocchio to be really dated and hokey. The latter is at least beautifully animated, which is why I'd give it the win.

#7 Waltz With Bashir vs. #10 Howl's Moving Castle

1. Originality

Waltz With Bashir
Everything about Waltz with Bashir screams originality. The animation, the characters, the plot and context... it is one of the most beautiful yet scarring documentaries or animated movies ever made. And that's another thing... it's one of the greatest animated documentaries as well.

2. Script/Screenplay

Waltz With Bashir
The script of Howl's Moving Castle is pretty forgettable, but the choice is easy because the screenplay of Walt With Bashir is amazing. There are some moments of good dialogue, but mostly, the narration and talking is often beautiful, ugly, or something in between.

3. Animation

Waltz With Bashir
Waltz With Bashir is a feast for the eyes. You get so much (or so little) color, and so many different styles of animation. It feels like the final step in a journey of animation in the 2000s. I don't know what else to say, but it's just beautiful.

4. Characters

Howl's Moving Castle
Of course Miyazaki never disappoints in terms of characters. While this is, in my opinion, his weakest movie, it still has fantastic characters. For one, Sophie is a great protagonist, you're always rooting for and she's likable in both forms. Howl and the Witch are also great, especially the Witch.

5. Music/Sound

Waltz With Bashir
This movie has some really wacky music... There's sort of techno-pop for a lot of it, and then more electronic music. But it works. It really does for the somber and often downright depressing tone of this movie. My favorite music moment was the Chopin Waltz segment, where I'm sure the movie got its name.

6. Themes/Values

Waltz With Bashir
This one is actually tougher than one might imagine. Howl's Moving Castle is ridden with pacifist, environmental, and mythical messages. But Waltz With Bashir has got to win out. It has subtle themes about not only the destruction of war and hate, but of our own minds and how we twist things. It is really a psychological film more than a war film.

7. Structure/Pacing

Waltz With Bashir
Waltz With Bashir is a documentary, but because it is animated, it can show basically anything it wants. And it truly does. We are whisked into the world of 1982 and Lebanon with each story someone tells. The structure and pacing is complex, and it jumps back and forth in time. But it all works amazingly.

Waltz With Bashir - 6
Howl's Moving Castle - 1

Winner: #7 Waltz With Bashir

#8 Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind vs. #9 Wallace and Gromit: The Wrong Trousers

1. Originality

Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind
How truly breathtaking some of the images are in this film. They're breathtaking for their beauty and originality. The ohms, among other odd giant bugs in this post-apocalyptic adventure film, are some of Miyazaki's most terrifying yet stunning creatures. Super well done.

2. Script/Screenplay

Wallace and Gromit: The Wrong Trousers
I'm always in the mood for Wallace and Gromit, and the Wrong Trousers might be the best film of them all. The script certainly helps. It's laugh-out-loud hilarious at times and just has a genuine charm to it that will never be repeated in animation again.

3. Animation

As I mentioned earlier, this film has just stunning images. Some of them are ugly, but most are beautiful. The scenes below the jungle, where we learn about the water and the clean air, are so beautiful and heartfelt. You can always tell Miyazaki cares about his films.

4. Characters

This one is no contest. Gromit may be a contender for my favorite animated movie character of all time. Wallace isn't too shabby either, and of course the villainous penguin is just great. If you think about it, that's just about all the characters in this film. But, oh, are they great bloody characters.

5. Music/Sound

I've always loved the music to this movie. It's fun, stylish, doesn't take itself seriously (just like the film itself), and is all around a blast. There's something about that campy British soundtrack music that I will always love.

6. Themes/Values

Many people mention that Nausicaa and Princess Mononoke are very similar films. I'd agree. Both are clearly dealing primarily with the struggle between nature and humans, although they do it in drastically different ways. But Nausicaa has a message just as powerful as Princess Mononoke, and presents it just as beautifully.

7. Structure/Pacing

Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind gets lost at the end. It has too many plot points and tries to balance them all. The Wrong Trousers stays simple and effective without getting un-interesting. All the pacing and structural elements of this film are great, and the last train fight scene is just iconic.

Wallace and Gromit: The Wrong Trousers - 4
Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind - 3

Winner: #9 Wallace and Gromit: The Wrong Trousers

I'm going to get lazy the next couple rounds and just start posting the winner of each match-up without writing about them. I might pick up again around the Elite Eight or Final Four. I'm planning to write full reviews of eliminated films starting the Sweet Sixteen.

#1 Toy Story vs. #8 The Lego Movie

Originality - Toy Story
Script/Screenplay - Toy Story
Animation - The Lego Movie
Characters - Toy Story
Music/Sound - Toy Story
Themes/Values - Toy Story
Structure/Pacing - The Lego Movie

Toy Story - 5
The Lego Movie - 2

Winner: #1 Toy Story

#2 Monsters, Inc. vs. #7 Waltz With Bashir

Originality - Waltz With Bashir
Script/Screenplay - Monsters, Inc.
Animation - Waltz With Bashir
Characters - Monsters, Inc.
Music/Sound - Monsters, Inc.
Themes/Values - Waltz With Bashir
Structure/Pacing - Monsters, Inc.

Monsters, Inc. - 4
Waltz With Bashir - 3

Winner: #2 Monsters, Inc.

#3 The Incredibles vs. #11 Porco Rosso

Originality - The Incredibles
Script/Screenplay - The Incredibles
Animation - Porco Rosso
Characters - The Incredibles
Music/Sound - The Incredibles
Themes/Values - Porco Rosso
Structure/Pacing - The Incredibles

The Incredibles - 5
Porco Rosso - 2

Winner: #3 The Incredibles

#4 Grave of the Fireflies vs. #5 Fantasia

Originality - Fantasia
Script/Screenplay - Grave of the Fireflies
Animation - Fantasia
Characters - Fantasia
Music/Sound - Fantasia
Themes/Values - Grave of the Fireflies
Structure/Pacing - Grave of the Fireflies

Fantasia - 4
Grave of the Fireflies - 3

#4 Toy Story 2 vs. #5 Fantastic Mr. Fox

Originality - Fantastic Mr. Fox
Script/Screenplay - Fantastic Mr. Fox
Animation - Fantastic Mr. Fox
Characters - Fantastic Mr. Fox
Music/Sound - Fantastic Mr. Fox
Themes/Values - Toy Story 2
Structure/Pacing - Fantastic Mr. Fox

Fantastic Mr. Fox - 6
Toy Story 2 - 1

Winner: #5 Fantastic Mr. Fox

#3 Toy Story 3 vs. #6 Mary and Max

Originality - Mary and Max
Script/Screenplay - Toy Story 3
Animation - Mary and Max
Characters - Mary and Max
Music/Sound - Mary and Max
Themes/Values - Toy Story 3
Structure/Pacing - Toy Story 3

Mary and Max - 4
Toy Story 3 - 3

Winner: #6 Mary and Max

#2 Finding Nemo vs. #10 Kiki's Delivery Service

Originality - Finding Nemo
Script/Screenplay - Finding Nemo
Animation - Finding Nemo
Characters - Kiki's Delivery Service
Music/Sound - Kiki's Delivery Service
Themes/Values - Kiki's Delivery Service
Structure/Pacing - Kiki's Delivery Service

Kiki's Delivery Service - 4
Finding Nemo - 3

Winner: #10 Kiki's Delivery Service

#3 Beauty and the Beast vs. #11 Perfect Blue

Originality - Perfect Blue
Script/Screenplay - Beauty and the Beast
Animation - Beauty and the Beast
Characters - Beauty and the Beast
Music/Sound - Beauty and the Beast
Themes/Values - Perfect Blue
Structure/Pacing - Perfect Blue

Beauty and the Beast - 4
Perfect Blue - 3

Winner: #3 Beauty and the Beast

Looks like I fell a bit behind on following this. For the last two matchups of round 1, I agree with both. Love Waltz With Bashir. Not overly fond of anything W&G but I'm happy to see anything beat Miyazaki.

And for round 2:
#1 Toy Story vs. #8 The Lego Movie
Winner: #1 Toy Story
I agree with this, but I'm not especially fond of Toy Story.

#2 Monsters, Inc. vs. #7 Waltz With Bashir
Winner: #2 Monsters, Inc.
Not entirely sure how my vote would go in this one. Both movies are great. I think I might lean a little more to Bashir at the moment though.

#3 The Incredibles vs. #11 Porco Rosso
Winner: #3 The Incredibles
Definitely agree. Love The Incredibles and Porco Rosso is near the bottom of the list of Miyazaki films for me. I think maybe only Ponyo was worse.

#4 Grave of the Fireflies vs. #5 Fantasia
Fantasia has moments of brilliance, but I would've given it to Fireflies.

#4 Toy Story 2 vs. #5 Fantastic Mr. Fox
Winner: #5 Fantastic Mr. Fox
Toy Story 2 is my least favorite Toy Story film (of the three I've seen), but I hated Fantastic Mr. Fox and would've voted the other way.

#3 Toy Story 3 vs. #6 Mary and Max
Winner: #6 Mary and Max
Enthusiastic agreement, here. Mary and Max is brilliant, though Toy Story 3 is the Toy Story movie that comes closest to me loving it.

#2 Finding Nemo vs. #10 Kiki's Delivery Service
Winner: #10 Kiki's Delivery Service
Strong disagreement here and I'm not even overly fond of Finding Nemo. I think it's good, but not great. Hated the witch movie.

#3 Beauty and the Beast vs. #11 Perfect Blue
Winner: #3 Beauty and the Beast
I'll never understand the love for Stockholm Syndrome: The Movie.

#1 Up vs. #8 Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs

Originality - Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs
Script/Screenplay - Up
Animation - Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs
Characters - Up
Music/Sound - Up
Themes/Values - Up
Structure/Pacing - Up

Up - 5
Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs - 2

Winner: #1 Up