The 2nd Science Fiction Hall of Fame

Tools    

The only positive thing I have to say about Coherence is that the director was smart enough to turn a buck off it. I can't believe anyone would've paid to see it, put apparently they did and the micro budget film made on one shoestring, did turn a profit.

movies can be okay...
How about admiring the fact that in our day and age, making a film has become more accessible than ever, which allows more and more people from different walks of life to share their ideas and express their feelings through a work they love. At the end of the day, I at least would rather have more movies than less movies, even if the former means more bad movies.

As far as believing or not believing how anyone could pay to see Coherence, I believe there's still a lot of people out there who will pay for it after discovering it. Let's not pretend that the movie doesn't have its crowd.
"A film has to be a dialogue, not a monologue — a dialogue to provoke in the viewer his own thoughts, his own feelings. And if a film is a dialogue, then it’s a good film; if it’s not a dialogue, it’s a bad film."
- Michael "Gloomy Old Fart" Haneke

How about admiring the fact that in our day and age, making a film has become more accessible than ever, which allows more and more people from different walks of life to share their ideas and express their feelings through a work they love. At the end of the day, I at least would rather have more movies than less movies, even if the former means more bad movies.

As far as believing or not believing how anyone could pay to see Coherence, I believe there's still a lot of people out there who will pay for it after discovering it. Let's not pretend that the movie doesn't have its crowd.
I clearly acknowledged Coherence has it's fans, that's why it turned a profit. That and it was made for next to nothing.

The only positive thing I have to say about Coherence is that the director was smart enough to turn a buck off it. I can't believe anyone would've paid to see it, put apparently they did and the micro budget film made on one shoestring, did turn a profit.
That's pretty negative. Overly so if you don't mind me saying. Coherence has flaws but it's brilliant indie low budget film-making. I would have loved to see it in the cinema. Even if you don't like it - surely (as Okay said), it's great that these types of films are getting made? I'll be posting a review of it soon.

That's pretty negative. Overly so if you don't mind me saying. Coherence has flaws but it's brilliant indie low budget film-making. I would have loved to see it in the cinema. Even if you don't like it - surely (as Okay said), it's great that these types of films are getting made? I'll be posting a review of it soon.
Maybe it's negative but it's also honest as I basically hated Coherence.

Gattaca 1997

Very pleasant re-watch, had Gattaca at #34 on my all time sci-fi list, and it's still there after my second watch.
Great sci-fi thriller, good story, well acted, great attention for details, kind of low-budget but still very cleverly done. The way the fictional world was filmed and portrayed and the overall vibe of the movie fitted the story perfectly. I think the films biggest strength is it's story and subject matter which is still very discussion worthy and thought provoking.
Was looking at Uma's hands because Citizen mentioned something about them, but didn't see anything strange, maybe a dirty fingernail during 'the wind caught it' scene?
Great scene at the end, when the doc let's Vincent/Jerome know he has been holding it wrong all this time
Good nomination, I think will end up pretty high

Trivia:
Today I learned Maya Hawke from Stranger Things is Ethan and Uma Thurman's daughter, so their romance possibly started during the filming of this movie.

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
Attack the Block

Even if this ends up as a disqualification, I still figured I would try to get to it to say I watched all the nominations even if they didn't make it to the end. It seems a lot of people thought this was a pretty good one.

I'm on the other end of the spectrum though. In fact, it's even hard for me to really pinpoint anything that I thought was well done or that really sparked my interest. The positive that I would give out of it was the creation of those black monsters with those creepy eyes. Those were really well made.

But overall I was quite bored with the story, I thought the acting ranged from below average to weak, and I didn't care too much for the overall story. The dialogue is what really made me hate the film. I hated the way the lines were delivered and it seemed way too forced to me. Kind of reminded myself of a movie I made in high school where I thought it was really well made but in reality the dialogue is really really bad when you look back at it.

This was not for me and will rank low if it ends up as eligible.

The dialogue is what really made me hate the film. I hated the way the lines were delivered and it seemed way too forced to me.
I felt that way the first time I saw the film, but when I rewatched it for this HoF, I found it amusing. It is a bit forced sounding, but I think that's intentional and part of the humour. Knowing exactly what to expect the second time around probably helped as well.

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
Gattaca 1997

Trivia:
Today I learned Maya Hawke from Stranger Things is Ethan and Uma Thurman's daughter, so their romance possibly started during the filming of this movie.
DID NOT know that she was their daughter and from my limited knowledge, Uman and Ethan's romance DID start during the filming of this film.

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
Minority Report

I think a film like this goes to show how crafty a guy like Spielberg can be. He creates a really interesting and cool visual world with his films and this one is no different in that regard. It's a solid screenplay and is directed quite well.

Tom Cruise is an actor that to me seems to get slammed too much for bad work, but I usually think he does a good job and I certainly think he was good in his role here. The supporting pieces are pretty solid too, with Max Von Sydow and Samantha Morton my two favorites.

I just like the overall concept and story of the film the most. I like how the beginning grabbed my attention and glued me to what was going on. The film is lengthy and does drag in a few places, but overall that's just a minor complaint of a film I quite enjoyed. Not a Spielberg masterpiece but it's something that is pretty good even for him.

Aliens (1986) might not be as good as Alien(1979) but it is an exceptionally well made film. Sigourney Weaver plays a woman who wakes up 50 years later after being trapped in space (awesome setup) and is sent as an advisor on a marine deployment mission to a teraforming colony.

The marines who are a colorful group (yet not so much that everybody is given a "thing") are ambushed and decimated by the Aliens. The survivors have to then figure out a way to get off the rock while they are taken out.

I love the time and effort that goes into the tactics which you rarely see in a science fiction film. I love the variety of the scenes where you have almost a found footage scene, then an isolated stalking scene, then a full out last stand and then one final battle.

Everything is great about this film form the use miniatures and puppets to the full on set design this was just a good blockbuster to watch.

Minority Report 2002

Great Sci-Fi, Thriller, Action, Crime, Mystery remix with elements of The Fugitive, Blade Runner and Timecop, some big names; Steven Spielberg/Philip K. Dick, Cruise/Farrell, and some excellent chase scenes. Gave it 86/100 after I saw it in theaters in 2002, placed it on my all time sci-fi list, and the all genre all time top 250. It's still on both lists but perhaps slightly lower.

Out of all the nominees Minority Report features one of the best looking futuristic worlds. The advertising, the very predictive touch and swipe screens, suits/helmets wrist communicators, flying police cars, the Bvlgari watches,

the 'Spyders' featured in my favorite scene in the tub with the air bubble.
And most importantly one of my favorite sci-fi weapon designs ever; that shotgun.

My only critiques would be that during this re-watch I found it not very re-watchable because of the way the reveals are set up, it made the run time feel a bit long at times.
Also sadly the self driving car freeway scenes looked a bit dated and fake.
Overall still one of the strongest nominees so far for me, with four nominees to go.

A system of cells interlinked
PSA: Anyone stating that they hated Coherence will be sacked.

Carry on!

‘Coherence’ (2013)

I’ve been meaning to watch this again recently as I heard a few theories about it, so this was a good chance. Coherence is a cheaply made film with big ideas and ambition. And it gets those ides mostly right. It’s a mindbender that is so well thought out it is scary.

There are little hints in the script as to what we are seeing – ‘Sliding Doors’ and ‘Schrodinger’s Cat’ for instance. We are seeing multiple dimensions take shape – and every instance in which there is a decision to be made – we are taken to a new reality, as per Schrodinger’s Cat. We the audience follow Em around, and she is the only constant in the whole film. Everything else is changing, because we are going into new realities all the time. We are seeing the realities take shape. Everytime there’s a powercut – new dimension. Everytime they go back in the house – new dimension. This is why the characters have a hard time recalling certain things in the movie at points – because they have just arrived from a new reality.

The point of the film is to perhaps show us that every decision, no matter how small, can have lasting, irreversible effect. My tiny brain can’t even comprehend the vastness of the concept and how anyone can come up with it yet alone have the gumption and nous to put it into film. It may take another 2 or 3 watches to fully comprehend everything and find every clue. Plus the fact that this film is largely improve dialogue with only a few scriptmarkers that the cast had to reach? Remarkable. Thank the lord we have movies like this to inspire both the viewer and future film-makers.

Coherence is an indie masterpiece.

Robinson Crusoe on Mars 1964

The film starts off with a pretty nice space background painting, a yellow toy spaceship, Adam West and a monkey eating banana paste.
I laughed out loud, looked at the release date and immediately switched critic mode: off, once again for this one.
Future generations of viewers will probably do the same when watching Matt Damon’s The Martian, (the way things are going celebrity colonies will be doing reality tv shows from Mars powered by Tesla 60+ years from now).
The film tells the familiar classic Crusoe survival story with all the exploration, adventures, human inventiveness and the struggles against loneliness that come with it.
Fine acting by Paul Mantee and Barney (monkey’s real name I looked it up), creative props and backgrounds and an excellent soundtrack.
Overall I found it to be a very feel good/nostalgic, charming and enjoyable 60's sci-fi.

Attention all crew members of the
Second Science Fiction Hall of Fame!

@ahwell @Citizen Rules @edarsenal @John-Connor @Okay @rauldc14 @ScarletLion @Siddon @TheUsualSuspect @Yam12

This is your Captain speaking again. The deadline is in 3 weeks, so at this point everyone should have completed 8 of the 11 eligible films. There will not be an update next Saturday, so do not rely on these messages to pace yourselves during the final leg of our mission. I'd also like to remind you that I will not be able to monitor your progress or update the ship's logs while I am away, between July 17th and the 23rd.

All of the crew members who were behind last week, with the exception of Yam, have successfully checked in so I will not be requiring a progress report before I leave. However upon my return, there will be an accounting of how far everyone has progressed, and anyone who has not made an effort to catch up may be disqualified. On that subject, Yam's removal from the ship is pretty much guaranteed at this point, but he does still have until the 16th to keep his nomination, Videodrome, in the running.

As per usual, the following read-out will state how many of the eligible films each crew member has completed, as well as which nominations they have yet to finish. Green readouts mean you have met or exceeded the recommended pace.

ahwell - complete

Citizen Rules - 9/11
Attack the Block
Videodrome

CosmicRunaway - complete

edarsenal - 9/11
Coherence
Timecrimes

John-Connor - 8/11
Attack the Block
Coherence
Forbidden Planet