The 2nd Science Fiction Hall of Fame

Tools    

Robinson Crusoe on Mars

...Not so much that I am unable to express my thoughts, it is more that I seem to have very little, or more precisely, they seem a bit scattered. (More than usual, I mean) lol

at it's core, was attempting to delve into the Loneliness of being stranded.
That summed it up well, loneliness that's what RCoM is about.

Women will be your undoing, Pépé

Attack the Block

Pest: I'm sh#ting myself innit', but at the same time...
Moses: What?
Pest: This is sic.

While the first time I saw this a year or two ago, I was kinda so-so about it; I do admit I did actually enjoy it this time around.
It may have been listening to teenage kids spouting gangsta that caused me to roll my eyes the first time and thereby miss out on everything else.

Which, for it's bare bones set up, it does a pretty good job at the tense scenarios (chases) surrounding the alien invasion of one city block due to the leader of the group, Moses, played by John Boyega (who would later go on to play Finn in Star Wars 8 & 9) kills a female alien early on.
I read that they rarely used CGI and because of this, the kids involved actually felt a little scared in the chase scenes. Far more than if they had to simply imagine a creature chasing them.
The director/writer even used local youths and shared the script with them to get a more authentic dialogue as well as the kind of weapons they'd use. Using sets instead of green screens, giving it all a little more grit instead of shine. Bringing the necessary gravitas to pull you as the kids try to live through the night and the alien attack.

While this would not be one I'd continually go back to, it IS a good alien/sci-fi/action flick set in the inner city with believable people and situations.
Believe, bruv.

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
Also,
WARNING: "regarding the ending in Attack the Block" spoilers below
I kinda liked seeing everyone involved getting scooped up by the police. It has been a long time agitation to watch the heroes at the end of a flick get to walk away from whatever insurmountable damage that was caused by the final battle scene.
No one's detaining them for questioning?? Some serious sh#t just went down and they get to just stroll off as they please??
It always ruined it for me and bugged me. So, to see them all get detained and brought in right then and there added another realistic situation to it all that I liked.

I watched a pair of low budget science fiction films Turbo Kid (2015) and Attack of the Block (2011), one I liked the other I didn't.

Attack of the Block has one idea, a central theme and if you buy into the theme the film works...if you don't well it feels like a long film.

Turbo Kid on the other hand is a throwback to the 70's/80's cheap science fiction done with a strong degree of humor...if you like the humor you'll like the movie.

Attack of the block attempts to tell the story of an apartment complex that has to fight off a series of aliens who are attempting to break in and eat the individuals throughout the night. We get the central theme that these are black creatures that are worse than the black teenage gang that start off with the film. And while the idea is strong I found the whole idea to be somewhat undercut by a collection of white drug dealers in the same compound. They were setup as comic relief and if you are trying to tell a heavy story like this the jokes better land sadly for me they didn't.

Turbo Kid on the other hand removes itself from the reality of modern day life and moves us into the future(though really it's the past). The world has ended in the 80's and the survivors still adhere to many 80's tropes. Inspired from Road Warrior, Indiana Jones, and James Bond style humor we get a great aside group by the older figures. It's the extra things that add or take away from the film, the extras take away from one and add to the other.

Made for apparently less than 100,000 Turbo Kid is told in broad daylight using mostly toys and practically effects. Attack of the Block had a budget of 8 million dollars and clearly used CGI and location shooting. Once again I prefer Turbo Kid because even though it was cheap by embracing the cheapness the filmmakers had the ability to give each scene depth and allowed for the world to feel real. Block feels real..though I don't know how hundreds of aliens could crawl along a high-rise and not get a reaction from other people.

Finally what I loved about Turbo Kid is it showed restraint with it's characters. I felt like I got to know the people in this film, Attack of the Block I could hardly tell the gang kids apart. And while I might be gushing over Turbo Kid I did enjoy parts of Attack of the Block. While I didn't love the film I did enjoy the general flow of the story, the expansion of the Alien's powers and the performances were generally okay. So when it was all said and done I would recommend Turbo Kid while Attack of the Block just felt average to me

Turbo Kid

Attack of the Block

Attention all crew members of the
Second Science Fiction Hall of Fame!

@ahwell @Citizen Rules @edarsenal @John-Connor @Okay @rauldc14 @ScarletLion @Siddon @TheUsualSuspect @Yam12

This is your Captain speaking. We are now on the last leg of our mission, with just 4 weeks left until we reach our destination. Everyone should have at least 7 of the 11 required films reviewed by now. Unless there are extenuating circumstances, the deadline will remain unchanged, with the results being revealed the next day.

The following read-out will state how many of the eligible films each crew member has completed, as well as which nominations they have yet to finish. Green readouts mean you have met or exceeded the recommended pace. If your readout contains a red exclamation mark and you haven't recently checked in, please contact me immediately. Since the deadline is getting close, you may be disqualified if you fail to do so.

ahwell - complete

Citizen Rules - 9/11
Attack the Block
Videodrome

CosmicRunaway - complete

edarsenal - 9/11
Coherence
Timecrimes

John-Connor - 5/11 !
Attack the Block
Coherence
Forbidden Planet
Gattaca
Minority Report
Robinson Crusoe on Mars

Okay - 5/11 !
Attack the Block
Coherence (own nomination)
Déjà Vu
Gattaca
Robinson Crusoe on Mars
Videodrome

rauldc14 - 8/11
Attack the Block
Minority Report
Timecrimes

ScarletLion - 6/11 !
Coherence
Gattaca
Robinson Crusoe on Mars
Timecrimes (own nomination)
Turbo Kid

Siddon - 10/11
Aliens

TheUsualSuspect - 5/11 !
Attack the Block (own nomination)
Forbidden Planet
Gattaca
Robinson Crusoe on Mars
Timecrimes
Turbo Kid

Yam12 - 0/11 !!
Aliens
Attack the Block
Coherence
Déjà Vu
Forbidden Planet
Gattaca
Minority Report
Robinson Crusoe on Mars
Timecrimes
Turbo Kid
Videodrome (own nomination)

Shortly after my last progress report, I attempted to alleviate any fears regarding another potential disappearance, this time involving Yam. While I had seen him that day, he has since fallen off my radar. I sent a private message to his quarters last week, though I have yet to receive a response. The situation is currently being investigated.

Our flight path will soon take us near a remote, yet operational space station that unfortunately has damaged long-range communications. I am required to take a shuttle there to attend a mandatory briefing with an emissary from mission control, and thus I will be away from July 17th to the 23rd. If Yam hasn't returned to duty by the time I am set to depart, his nomination Videodrome will be disqualified when I leave.

If you have any questions or concerns about the nominations, deadline, my upcoming absence, or the recent string of strange, unexplainable occurrences on board the ship, do not hesitate to ask. Thanks for your time.

movies can be okay...
I'm still in. Matter of fact, I re-watched Gattaca yesterday, and just finished re-watching Coherence right now, so I'm planning on posting my thoughts on both films tonight.
"A film has to be a dialogue, not a monologue — a dialogue to provoke in the viewer his own thoughts, his own feelings. And if a film is a dialogue, then it’s a good film; if it’s not a dialogue, it’s a bad film."
- Michael "Gloomy Old Fart" Haneke

...Unless there are extenuating circumstances, the deadline will remain unchanged, with the results being revealed the next day.

If you have any questions or concerns about the nominations, deadline, my upcoming absence, or the recent string of strange, unexplainable occurrences on board the ship, do not hesitate to ask. Thanks for your time.
I do actually have a question for the Captain...seriously, it's something I've thought about regarding HoFs in general...

I would've been done weeks ago, but I'm choosing not to watch anyone's noms that appear to be not participating, namely Yam12 (who's a cool guy btw, and I like him) but let's face it he's not participating. I know Camo gave him a lecture about the same thing in the Directed by Women HoF, and I have to agree it's disheartening to have people join HoFs but not participate until the last minute. See that's a problem as I'm not watching his nom Videodrome if he's going to dropout. But if he posts all of his reviews in the very last few days of the HoF, then that doesn't give me time to watch his nom before the deadline is up.

So how about if someone is really lagging behind and finishes at the very last of the HoF, that other members in that case get a few more days extension to watch that person's noms.

I would've been done weeks ago, but I'm choosing not to watch anyone's noms that appear to be not participating, namely Yam12 (who's a cool guy btw, and I like him) but let's face it he's not participating.
While he wasn't actively participating, Yam did appear to still be following the thread, since he was consistently repping reviews. If he had disappeared completely like Nathaniel, or showed zero interest in the thread, I likely would've removed him awhile ago.

I did message him last week to say that if he didn't start posting reviews soon, I'd have to disqualify his nomination since it wasn't fair to the people waiting on him. I was going to do so today when I posted the update, but there wasn't any indication that he's been online this week, which is why I gave him a little more time.

See that's a problem as I'm not watching his nom Videodrome if he's going to dropout. But if he posts all of his reviews in the very last few days of the HoF, then that doesn't give me time to watch his nom before the deadline is up.
I did mention that since Yam hasn't posted anything yet, if he doesn't make an effort to catch up by the 16th, he'll be disqualified. If he somehow does get on track before then, that'll give 2 and a half weeks to watch his nomination.

So how about if someone is really lagging behind and finishes at the very last of the HoF, that other members in that case get a few more days extension to watch that person's noms.
Other than Yam, the others who are lagging a bit are only 1-2 films behind the recommended pace (though there's been a few "extra" weeks for those who didn't watch any nominations that later got disqualified). So I'm still optimistic that we can avoid the situation you're concerned about, but I'll re-evaluate it on a week-by-week basis going forward.

I think in the next week or two we'll see who is willing to try and catch up, and the closer we get to the deadline, the stricter I'm going to be about participation. I imagine that anyone still that far behind so close to the deadline will be disqualified before it becomes an issue for those of you who have been waiting to watch certain nominations. That's the plan right now at least.

I was going to PM you Raul, but your inbox is full.

I think I'm gonna need Links for Attack the Block, Timecrimes, and Minority Report if y'all got any
Are you still looking for these?

I don't have streaming links, but if need be I could try to send you Attack the Block and Timecrimes like I did a couple of nominations for the Russian Hall of Fame. Where Minority Report is such a long film, it would probably be too big though.

movies can be okay...
Gattaca (1997) by Andrew Niccol

This was surprisingly such a pleasant re-watch. My initial viewing of Gattaca didn't leave me impressed to say the least, but now, I feel like I just properly absorbed and realised the depth and the work that went into creating this film. It is insane how good the world building is, and how much thought was put into every detail, big and small. These advantages totally cover for the movie's weak points, as this time around, my attention was more so taken by the splendour of Gattaca, and not by how cheesy and corny certain pinpoints are. Not to mention, the philosophical ideas, the symbolisms, the themes, the character arcs, and the overall message are all so fantastic as they contribute to the richness of the film.

However, my biggest problem with Gattaca was and is still apparent. I get that Niccols was pretty excited to share his writings, I mean I just said the world building was great, he did a phenomenal job and has clearly put in the work when it comes to manufacturing Gattaca to its last piece. Still, I don't think the right approach to showcasing his creations is by utterly shoving them into the viewer's face. Every impressive sci-fi element doesn't go unnoticed, specifically because the movie makes sure to brag about it, and deliver it in a most unsubtle and unnatural fashion. With all of that being said, I still wasn't bothered too much, partially because the bragging never reaches an offensive level, and mainly because I really dug the world of Gattaca this time around.

Gattaca (1997) by Andrew Niccol

...I don't think the right approach to showcasing his creations is by utterly shoving them into the viewer's face. Every impressive sci-fi element doesn't go unnoticed, specifically because the movie makes sure to brag about it, and deliver it in a most unsubtle and unnatural fashion...
I'm not sure what you mean by that, can you give some examples?

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
I was going to PM you Raul, but your inbox is full.

Are you still looking for these?

I don't have streaming links, but if need be I could try to send you Attack the Block and Timecrimes like I did a couple of nominations for the Russian Hall of Fame. Where Minority Report is such a long film, it would probably be too big though.
I think Ed got me hooked up. Thank you though.

movies can be okay...
I'm not sure what you mean by that, can you give some examples?
I mean the entire first half of the movie is just exposition, exposition, exposition. There are definitely way better ways of introducing us to such a world, other than literally telling us all about it in an expository montage. And even after that has ended, some of the characters would keep saying exactly what we're supposed to interpret and figure out as viewers. It's as if the director can't trust the audience to notice the great stuff he put into the film.

Side note, I forgot to mention that Gattaca has one of the most cringey and unintentionally hilarious lines ever ("A de-GENE-erate" / It's so on the nose that I wanted to shut off the movie right then and there). This also fits into with what I was saying about the director wanting to shove every idea he has in our faces, in the most unsubtle way possible.

movies can be okay...
If only it stopped at the prologue. I mean did we really need Ethan Hawke to literally explain out loud that this is the manner of which he disposes of his loose skin, and that this is the manner of which Eugene provides his samples, etc...All of this stuff we can clearly see and understand on our own.

I don't wanna sound too complain-y or negative though, since I still enjoyed all of the above despite their presentation.

If only it stopped at the prologue. I mean did we really need Ethan Hawke to literally explain out loud that this is the manner of which he disposes of his loose skin, and that this is the manner of which Eugene provides his samples, etc...All of this stuff we can clearly see and understand on our own.

I don't wanna sound too complain-y or negative though, since I still enjoyed all of the above despite their presentation.

Yes because it's foreshadowing for what happens later. The problem with Gattaca is it should have been more of a mystery but instead they decided to make it into a neonoir.

movies can be okay...
Coherence (2013) by James Ward Byrkit

" Does anybody want any wine? Cheese? Ketamine? "
" The chicken tastes like tuna, it must be because of the comet. "
" We're not splitting up, we're just going in two different groups. "

So yeah, I'm a big fan of the improvised dialogue present in this movie. Not only did it supply us with the lines above, but it also delivered us what is probably the most savage line to be ever stated in any situation or context.
WARNING: "lol" spoilers below
Mike : Hugh, do you not understand what I'm saying? This all started tonight, and if there are a million different realities, I have slept with your wife in every one of them.
I lost it, and I mean literally lost it when he said that.

Some knock the film for supposedly being "messy" due to all of the improvisation, but I think it's definitely more organised and structured than what one might perceive from a single watch. I mean the characters relationships with each other feel very well defined. One can even notice the tension between Beth and Laurie right from the start. Same goes for the relationship between Beth and Mike, and Kevin and Laurie. This is all thanks to the small cast who have such amazing chemistry with each other, to the point where I wouldn't be surprised if they're good friends in real life, that's how natural their bond felt!

The film's editing and camera work are another aspects that are widely considered as negatives, yet I didn't mind them at all. In fact, I thought they complimented the style and air of the ongoings. In such a chaotic and shaky night, the camera appropriately behaves as kind of the 9th friend, who just like the rest, is unable to concentrate and control theirself. Also, since a large portion of the dialogue is improvised, the fact that the cinematography is similarly rebellious is quite fitting.

However, the most appealing aspect to me about the movie is how much fun it has with its concept. It really takes a second watch to fully take in all of the little details that are scattered around right from the beginning until the very end. These elements not only contribute to my enjoyment, but also give a new context to the events of the night.
WARNING: "nice little fun details" spoilers below
For example, the movie opens up with Em pulling up to the main house, and it is hugely implied that she actually goes through the dark zone in her car before setting a foot inside her friend's home (she loses connection while on her call with Kevin / her phone cracks). So right from the get-go, our main character is entering a home that doesn't contain her actual friends.

There are numerous other details to marvel at. Another great one is how at the beginning, Laurie didn't recognise Mike as one of the main characters of Roswell, probably because she's from a different reality where Mike never acted in Roswell. And the list goes on...

I'm not saying that the movie is perfect, it's clearly far from that. There are many cheesy and clichéd moments all the way throughout. For God's sake, the characters find a book that conveniently explains the ongoings of the night, is there even a more clichéd cliché than that? Not to mention, the characters are constantly and quickly reaching the right conclusions and deductions about the mysterious mechanics of the conflict. It can get a little annoying that's for sure. But, for every sloppy scene, there's a whole great sequence of tension, such as the one where Hugh and Amir come back from the other house with a box. I still remember how eager, confused, and creeped out I felt during my first viewing of this sequence, especially after they end up discovering what's inside the box. I thought for a second things would turn into You're Next .