Citizen Rules...Cinemaesque Chat-n-Review

→ in
Tools    

I agree with you about Ed Wood. It was one of Johnny Depp's best performances-- before he got hugely famous and lazy.. The story itself was fascinating, and could only have occurred at that particular point in Hollywood history. Wood was a goofball, but determined-- a real entrepreneur.

But it was Martin Landau's portrayal of Bela Lugosi that really anchored the film. Ironically Landau was as important to Burton's film in the same way that Lugosi was to Wood's films. Who could possibly have done Lugosi better than Landau?

Few realize that Lugosi had been a very successful dramatic actor in his native Hungary, then Germany, then in New York. Due to his drug addiction and his early typecasting from the play Dracula, he eventually slid down the slope, taking lesser roles to support his lifestyle.

~Doc

Johnny Guitar (1954)
Director: Nicholas Ray
Writers: Philip Yordan (screenplay), Roy Chanslor (novel)
Cast: Joan Crawford, Sterling Hayden, Mercedes McCambridge
Genre: Western

Johnny Guitar is currently rated at 7.7 on IMDB, a very high rating indeed. Usually only the best made films reach such dizzying heights and yet somehow Nicolas Ray's oddball film has done just that. But why?

When Joan Crawford is in the right role, she slays it. She's effective in the movie as a polished but tough as nails, savvy business woman who may or may not have slept her way to valuable insider information that enabled her to buy up worthless land in the middle of nowhere. She knows that the railroad is coming through the area, making her land very valuable. 'Vienna' (Joan Crawford) finds herself being singled out by a rival woman who hates her guts and rallies the marshal and town's folk to harass her and her friends. Accusing them of all sorts of wrong doings.

The entire film is based on ambiguity and an unusual juxtaposition of characters with 'tough guy' women slinging guns and 'pretty boy' men who dance and play the guitar as the women battle for supremacy. All this is done in a western version of a morality-concept play with enough flair to lift the pulp material to an artistic level that I'm sure no other director would have conceived of. It might be hard for the typical pop corn eating movie fan to get this experimental type of western, but the French New Wave directors like Truffaut got it...and I suspect it was their admiration of the film that has lifted Johnny Guitar from it's initial box office failure to the darling of hard core movie buffs.

Reportedly Johnny Guitar's script is an analogy of the black listing that was going on in Hollywood in the 1950s. We see the town's folks led by a virulent rancher named 'Emma Small', played to perfect by Mercedes McCambridge. She heads up lesser willed town folks into a posse of followers, who go along with her just because she's an outright loudmouth and bully with clout. The towns folks attempt to drive the 'outsider' Vienna and her 'outsider' friends out of town, and do even worse to them. All of this of course was what was actually happening with McCarthyism and black listing in Hollywood.

Johnny Guitar is like a western opera with lines that are spoken not so much for the movie's sake, but more as a message to the audiences of the time.

Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	Johnny-Guitar-e1468003776588.jpg
Views:	464
Size:	24.8 KB
ID:	55410  

Raise the Red Lantern (1991)

Director: Yimou Zhang
Writers: Su Tong (novel "Wives and Concubines"), Ni Zhen (scriptwriter)
Cast: Li Gong, Jingwu Ma, Saifei He
Genre: Drama History
Language: Mandarin

'A young woman becomes the fourth wife of a wealthy lord, and must learn to live with the strict rules and tensions within the household.'

I loved Raise The Red Lantern. First off, the film has a confined world, set in the manor house of a rich nobleman and all we see is life from this one narrow and focused angle...and that appeals greatly to me. I like to step into the world of the film and spend time there with the characters, so to speak.

And of course I love period piece & historical films...and for some reason I like Chinese cinema too. I loved the way the film's cinematography felt confined and that's fitting as the young woman in the film is basically sequestered in her room in this manor estate. I liked the way the film felt controlled and claustrophobic, both the story and the camera work were synced to deliver that very effect, which then puts us into the mindset of the young woman who's lost her freedom when she marries and lives as a concubine.

The other thing I loved about this was that it was kind of like a Chinese soap opera with all the backstabbing and scheming of the four wives, I like that kind of human drama, cause it rings true. In a way soap opera type movies deliver on the human experience, which I also like.

Oh, one more thing about this movie, I like stories about women. I don't mean that in a woo-hoo type of way. Stories that focus on a female character often have more depth of humanity to them then a movie about some guy in a thriller. I'm not big into action guy flicks.

The one thing I didn't care for in this film was the ending. I usually don't like it when a film has to end on a big note, so as to make some noise. The very ending felt tacked on and Hollywood-ish.

Still I really loved this movie and it held me spell bound, which I can't say many films do.

Attachments

Name:	Lantern.jpg
Views:	392
Size:	211.6 KB
ID:	55460  

Pierrot Le Fou (1965)

Director: Jean-Luc Godard
Writer: Jean-Luc Godard
Cast: Jean-Paul Belmondo, Anna Karina, Graziella Galvani
Genre: French New Wave Comedy
Language: French

Visually I loved it, there were so many shooting scenes in the film that it must have cost a fortune to make. I mean the couple go everywhere in France, and seeing all these different parts of France from the viewpoint of a crime ridden road trip was visually amazing...

BUT, I was utterly confused as to what was going on in the film, or more precisely how the director intended it to be interrupted. I must have stopped the film a half dozen times to ask my wife what she thought this was all about? I couldn't tell if the film was a: surrealistic interpretation of an inner conflict that Pierrot was having in his mind? Or was it all a dream sequence and he would wake up at the end of the film still taking a bath and smoking? Geez this guy smoked a lot!

Later in the film I seen some quick edit inter-cuts of words being written on a page, so I decided I was watching a visualization of the novel his wife had asked him about in the beginning of the film. You know like we were seeing his thoughts as a movie. But no, I don't think that was it either....SO I had an utter disconnect from the story narrative and all I did was stare at the background scenery and Anna Karina! I liked her.

Finally in the end when he wraps the silly looking dynamite around his head, I decide this was Godard's French version of the old Jerry Lewis movies. It's hard to rate this one....

Le Trou (1960)
Director: Jacques Becker
Writers: José Giovanni (novel), Jacques Becker (adaptation)
Cast: André Bervil, Jean Keraudy, Michel Constantin
Genre: Drama Prison
Language: French

'In prison four long-sentence inmates planning an elaborate escape cautiously induct a new inmate to join in their scheme which leads to distrust and uncertainty.'

Here we have utter cinematic realism with Le Trou, a fine example of French Realism.

If there's one thing that I've learned from my time here at MoFo it's that many movie watchers value realism and gauge a film's ability to be realistic as a yard stick. How many times have we heard people saying, 'Oh, that wasn't very realistic'. Of course realism isn't the only flavor of movie making, but it's a style that rings true to most people. So yeah this seemed really real and I dug it.

At 2 hours 11 minutes, the time flew by! I was hooked from the get go and fascinated to see the inventions that these men came up with to escape their prison cell. I loved the 'broken mirror' periscope for looking out their peep hole for approaching guards. And the half-hour glass that was made out of two bottles and a handful of pinched sand was pretty cool too.

I was surprised the film didn't venture into high drama and conflict between the five cooped up men. Even though I usually like lots of personal drama in a film, this time around I was glad that the film was purely focused on the details of escaping. Le Trou puts the viewer into a tiny prison cell (where everyone is so polite!) and lets us participate in the audacious escape.

I enjoyed this one!

Anatomy of a Murder (Otto Preminger, 1959)

This was my second time watching Anatomy of a Murder. I'd originally seen it in the 8th HoF, here's a link to my old review

I watched Anatomy of a Murder again and was so impressed I thought that I'd write a fresh review! I loved the way Otto Preminger handled the film. I know a lot of people love or hate a movie solely based on it's story content. Story matters to me too, but there's other elements that equally impress me.

What impressed me with Anatomy of a Murder was the relaxed pacing of the film, with scenes that took the time to include many little extras. Those extra little gestures and moments made me feel like I was there watching the events as they happened. Right at the start when James Stewart arrives home, the film takes it's time setting up the kind of man that Stewart's lawyer is. It does this by following him around his house as he completes simple little task like cleaning the fish he caught and putting them away in his fridge. The fridge is stacked full of fish! That take your time approach to film making is something I love and tells us important but small details. And this attention to detail continues all the way through the trial, which then made the trial seem very real too. Anatomy of a Murder is one of the few courtroom movies that I think is superb.

I loved the title credits by the graphic design artist Saul Bass. It's easy to recognize his work in 50s-60s films. They have this certain style that captures the era. Loved the jazz score too by the great Duke Ellington. And what's cooler than casting the Duke as 'Pie Eyed' and giving him a scene with Jimmy Stewart! The frosting on the cake is that Stewart's country loving lawyer also loves jazz. Now that's cool.

James Stewart is the man! One of my all time favorite actors and he's excellent here. Walter O'Connell the older booze hound lawyer was good too. Along with Eve Arden they both help to lighten the mood so that the film doesn't get to heavy and down trodden. That's important so that when we get to the lengthy trial our pallets aren't already over taxed. Sort of like having a cracker in between wine sampling.

This time around I did like Lee Remick, she's an enigma. Is she a trashy woman who falsely accused a man of rape to keep from being beat to a pulp by her brooding husband? Or is she just an innocent flirt who's wanting to have some harmless fun? You decide...And that's what I love about this film, it never force feeds an answer to you like many films would. Anatomy of a Murder can be interpreted different ways, and that's the difference between art and a commercial.

I still didn't like the Judge in the first couple minutes, he just seemed a bit flat in his acting, but then something clicked and I got it! The judge like Eva Arden (the secretary) is meant to lighten the mood so that the battling lawyers look all the more fervently bombastic. The judge is the calm between the two storms....I loved the way the lawyers did their jobs in this movie, with their fast talking, jury tainting methods, with oodles of showmanship...and armed with reference materials from past trial precedents so as to kick the oppositions ass, ha!

James Stewart was so smooth in this, he's perfectly cast...and so was George C. Scott who was very intimidating. Loved the scenes where he's grilling Lee Remick and is smack dab in her face...Very intense and effective cinematography.

Loved the way the movie wrapped things up in the last scene...And that's exactly how the real murder case, that this movie was based on ended too.

Road to Perdition (2002)

Director: Sam Mendes
Writer
: David Self
Cast: Tom Hanks, Paul Newman, Daniel Craig, Jude Law, Liam Aiken
Genre: Crime, Drama, Thriller

'A mob enforcer's son witnesses a murder, forcing him and his father to take to the road, and his father down a path of redemption and revenge.'

I seen Road to Perdition some 15 years ago and I always remembered it and that I liked it...and that's saying a lot as I must have watched many 1000s of movies since then. I didn't remember the story line on my second time watching, but I did remember the 'feel' of the film. To me a film's ambiance is as important as the story.
I just love the slower, more relaxed style of film making which permeates the film. That style might seem like an odd choice for a gangster film, but that introspective view is what makes Road to Perdition something special. I actually prefer this to The Godfather.

Anytime Tom Hanks is in a movie I usually like it. The guy knows how to pick good film projects! I've not seen all of his films but I've seen enough of them to know it's close to a sure thing that if Hanks is in a film, I'm going to like it.

Jude Law made a good-bad guy and he's style of acting fit the tone of the movie as did Paul Newman. Both actors played it lower keyed and that then worked well for the style of the film.

The cinematography and the darker lighting of the film made for one of the most stylish gangster stories put onto film.

There might be a story element in the film that I could say I would have done differently and that would be the final ending, but I'm starting to learn that no film is perfect and it's what a person makes of the experience that matters.

Attachments

Name:	MV5BMTY5MzUwODExOV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTYwMjA3MjU3._V1_.jpg
Views:	324
Size:	43.7 KB
ID:	55548  

Bubba Ho-Tep (2002)
Director: Don Coscarelli
Cast: Bruce Campbell, Ossie Davis, Bob Ivy
Writers:Joe R. Lansdale (short story), Don Coscarelli (screenplay)
Genre: Comedy, Fantasy, Horror

I liked the movie! Anytime Elvis is on the screen I usually like the movie. Why? I'm not into his music, but Elvis is such an iconic character that he has his own sort of movie afterlife, and makes for an instantly recognizable & likeable movie character.

Bubba Ho-Tep
reminded me of a cross between
Elvis & Nixon (2016) & Barton Fink (1991) both films I really liked. I dug the way Elvis was played and I liked his side kick President Kennedy too. Both actors fit their movie roles nicely and never took it too over the top, which I liked. Oh and the Lone Ranger guy, Kemosabe! I especially got a kick out of him blazing his pistols away at the evil soul sucker, and of course his guns are just toy guns, ha!

If this had been way more gory I would have hated it, but as it was, most of the emphasize was on Elvis and how he felt about his life wasting away in a nursing home. I liked Elvis' backstory and the way he related to the people in the home. The darkly lit corridors of the nursing home and the absences of other stuff going on, made the story of Elvis all the more interesting as the film was primarily focused on him.

I liked the mystery of the soul sucker and how they went about figuring it all out. I'm actually glad that the amount of time the soul sucker was onscreen was limited because I didn't really care about that part of the story as much as the other stuff. The director could even have went with it all being in the heads of Kennedy and Elvis and that would have been just fine with me. I'm sure most horror fans wanted the horror kicked up a couple of notches but not me, and that's another reason I liked this movie.

++

The Little Stranger (2018)

Director
: Lenny Abrahamson
Writers: Lucinda Coxon (screenplay), Sarah Waters (novel)
Cast: Domhnall Gleeson, Will Poulter, Ruth Wilson
Genre: Drama Horror Mystery

The Little Stranger plays like Pride and Prejudice (2005) meets Winchester (2018)...only it's head and shoulders above Winchester. While Winchester was hyperbolic with demonic ghost and silly fright scenes...The Little Stranger is done up in proper British style which keeps everything reined in which then adds to the tension that grows under the seemingly benign surface.

Dr Faraday (Domhnall Gleeson) was a bit of a creepy ass...but that casting choice worked perfect for the movie as he created a brooding tension. Ruth Wilson who played Caroline Ayres is also odd and once again that helps the narrative as we're never sure what's going on in that creepy old mansion...and in that way the film reminded me of The Innocents.

I for one loved the drama that occurred as the good doctor courts the reclusive heiress...and the resulting human drama is where the themes of class elitism our examined. It's interesting that the Ayres family, who are heavily in debt and live in what once was a stately manor, now decaying old house, still act as blue nosed as ever, and no matter how educated and well mannered Dr Faraday is he can never make the grade, so will never truly belong at Hundreds Hall.

And that's where the story lies and not in the horror. I suspect those who like gore horror were disappointed that there weren't heads rolling and ice picks in the eyes...and so gave it a low IMDB rating. Which goes to show that the only real judge of a film's merit is one's self. I for one liked the more subtle approach that The Little Stranger offers.

+

The Florida Project (2017)

Director: Sean Baker
Cast: Brooklynn Prince, Bria Vinaite, Willem Dafoe
Writers: Sean Baker & Chris Bergoch
Genre: Drama

'Set over one summer, the film follows precocious six-year-old Moonee as she courts mischief and adventure with her ragtag playmates and bonds with her rebellious but caring mother, all while living in the shadows of Walt Disney World.'

I tried watching The Florida Project after it first came to DVD, but I shut if off after 15 minutes. In those first few minutes I found the kids and their mom annoying as they hammed it up for the camera.

So, I finally watched the entire movie and found out the first 15 minutes was just like the rest of the movie...The Florida Project plays like a 2 hour long selfie, or some home made video where little kids act way more silly than usual.

You know that photo to me defines the movie: overdone & hammy without any real substances. It's like the director wanted to make a cross between Boyhood (2014) and a reality TV show where people act anything but real. One would have to really like watching shrill small children acting 'cute' to enjoy this movie.

I've seen films centered on small kids that do work, such as the ground breaking Boyhood. But The Florida Project felt fake...not only the kids but the mother too. She so over exaggerated all her actions that she seemed like an actress trying way too hard. She never seemed to be the person she was playing. Even when she was smoking she so over done the smoking movements as if she was trying way to hard to draw attention to herself.

All of that hamming it up took me right out of the story and made me accurately aware that this was a movie. One positive is that The Florida Project is different than your average movie.

I hated the last few minutes of the ending at DisneyWorld. Just when the film was getting interesting with the child protection services, we get the scene of the two girls at DisneyWorld.

Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs
(1937)

Directors: William Cottrell, David Hand
Cast: Adriana Caselotti, Harry Stockwell, Lucille La Verne
Genre: Animated Fantasy

'Exiled into the dangerous forest by her wicked stepmother, a princess is rescued by seven dwarf miners who make her part of their household.'

One of the great classic Disney animations...and I had never ever seen it before, until now. I see that the movie is on Roger Ebert's Great Movies list and AFI's 100 Years 100 Movies list. So I know a lot of people appreciate the film.

I too appreciated the beauty and artistry of the hand drawn animation. It's so lovely to look at, so richly detailed that the scenes come to life right before our eyes. The camera work too is surprisingly fluid and cinematic.

I loved the way the film opens with a 'dolly in' shot as the camera moves closer to the evil queen's castle, then it dissolves to the next shot - a close up of the castle...and then we move closer, focusing on a window in the castle's turret - then another dissolve to the third shot and we're on the back of the queen looking into the talking magic mirror. I thought that was all pretty damn impressive, and there's many sequences in the film like that. It's truly made to a high artistic degree.

I love old movies because they're like a time machine back to the past. The past is never really gone, it's just a place that doesn't exist in our current time continuum...and movies are the one way people from that distant past can speak to us. So the odd thing for me was that I knew I was watching a film from 1938 and yet because it was animated it didn't at first seem like a portal to the past. But then I listened to the way Snow White sang along with the Prince and they reminded me of Jeanette MacDonald & Nelson Eddy who were the most popular singing/acting duel in the movies at the time. Snow White seemed patterned after Jeanette MacDonald and I swear Dopey was based on Harpo.

I say yah. I think you might dig it.
I enjoy Asian cinema and books of a historical nature.

Have you seen "Snow Flower & The Secret Fan"? The book was better than the movie but it talks about Chinese culture of laotong, footbinding and marriage.

I enjoy Asian cinema and books of a historical nature.

Have you seen "Snow Flower & The Secret Fan"? The book was better than the movie but it talks about Chinese culture of laotong, footbinding and marriage.
I haven't seen it, but I read about it and it sounds good, so I added it to my watch list. I like Chinese cinema set in the past during their Imperial period.

I haven't seen it, but I read about it and it sounds good, so I added it to my watch list. I like Chinese cinema set in the past during their Imperial period.
Well I hope you have seen Red Cliff?!? Its amazing!! So Beautiful!!! but very long

Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close (2011)

Director: Stephen Daldry
Writers: Eric Roth(screenplay), Jonathan Safran Foer (novel)
Cast: Tom Hanks, Sandra Bullock, Thomas Horn
Genre: Drama

'A nine-year-old amateur inventor, Francophile, and pacifist searches New York City for the lock that matches a mysterious key left behind by his father, who died in the World Trade Center on September 11, 2001.'

OK movie, crummy title. I would've called it something like 'Falling Down Boy'...or "Key Lucent Dreams'. I think I like 'Falling Down Boy' the best, it has a nice ring to it.

I'm not surprised Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close was nominated for Best Picture Oscar in 2012. It would've seemed to be Oscar bound or is that Oscar bait, with it's peripheral tale of the 9/11 events as told through the eyes of a boy with Asperger's Syndrome...along with a side tale of the mysterious man who can't speak...add to that the various people the boy meets as he searches for the lock that fits a key that his father left behind.

With all that going for the film and some choice cityscape cinematography, the film would've seemed like a shoe in for the Oscar. And while I appreciate the layered story effect and unique perspective on the 9/11 terrorist attacks, I surprisingly felt no emotion at what I image is suppose to be a heart wrenching film. If anything I was annoyed at the kid who acted more like an ass than an empathetic character. And without me caring about the boy our his mission, the film left me out in the cold.

I wish the director had filmed the movie more from the boys perspective especially when he goes to meet the people named Black. Instead those scenes of interaction which should have been the most rewarding and dynamic, were mere snippets. Even the scene with Viola Davis (the best actor in the film and best scene too) starts in the middle of the boy meeting her. I would've liked to seen their encounter from the very moment the boy rang her door bell. As it was that scene lost any emotional power it had for the sake of brevity.

Where brevity was needed was after the resolution of the mysterious key. Having Sandra Bullock then recount her own story about how she followed the boy around, was unneeded and over padded. I'm guessing that was done so Ms Bullock could have more air time.

It might sound like I'm hard on the movie but it's just when I like a movie I can't help but go into director mode and think of how I would've done things differently.

-

The Florida Project (2017)

Director: Sean Baker
[left]Cast: Brooklynn Prince, Bria Vinaite, Willem Dafoe
Writers: Sean Baker & Chris Bergoch
[font=Arial Narrow]Genre: Drama
Sorry you didn't like this movie, Citizen, I did, it has its problems, but I thought it was pretty realistic.