The 2nd Science Fiction Hall of Fame

Tools    

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
Watched a few this past weekend, will post reviews soon.

Suspect's Reviews

I re-watched Gattaca last night, what a great sci-fi...scratch that, it's a great movie period! They say if you can remove the sci-fi elements from the movie and still get a great story, then you have one helluva a film. Gattaca is one helluva a film. Instead of doing a lot of typing, I'm going to cp my review on MoFo......SPOILER Free

G...A...T...T...A...C...A

Director: Andrew Niccol

Writer: Andrew Niccol
Cast: Ethan Hawke, Uma Thurman, Jude Law
Genre: Drama, Sci-Fi, Thriller

Synopsis: A man born through 'natural means' is considered to be genetically inferior to those who are genetically enhanced at birth. He dreams of going into space but society only allows him menial jobs. So he assumes the identity of a genetically superior man in order to pursue his dreams. And in doing so has committed a crime.

Review: Uma Thurman sure looks good in this film. But what's really impressive is how her (and the other characters) are handled by the director. She's coldly dispassionate and emotional controlled. All the genetically superior employees of Gattaca are like that.

That photo I used really conveys well the 'perfect world' of those who have superior genes...they're almost dehumanized by their superior conformity. And that's just what the corporations want. The director plays on this perfect genes-equals cold as ice theme, with other character pairings:

Vincent (Ethan Hawke) is the natural born child, who's full of spirit but with crummy health...In contrast is his genetically superior manufactured brother Anton, who's analytical and icy.

With the two police investigators pairing, there's: Alan Arkin who's eluded to being a natural born child, full of personality but not as bright as his younger but superior partner, who's got the personality of an machine.

Gattaca
is an awesome film and one of the best examples of existential Sci-Fi. The director expertly down plays any sci fi elements in the film, which gives it credibility. The cars are old models, the clothing is sedate, there's no high tech CG props...in fact the film starts off by saying it's set in the very near future.This isn't your typical Sci Fi film.

I thought Ethan Hawke was excellent. The huge amount of effort that he was willing to undertake so that he could go on a space missions, said a lot about the human need to overcome obstacles. And that's what the film is really about. Jude Lawe as his counter balance was a perfect metaphor for having it all and being miserable as well. He too did a great job in this and both character's had a surprisingly balanced personal relationship on the screen.

So that was my old review, and I agree with myself! Go figure But what I noticed on a second viewing was how captivating the film's ambiance and atmosphere was. The sets were stunningly reserved elegance, done in a mid century modern retro look. Damn beautiful. I can't think of another film that makes such striking sets. I loved the choice of the old Studebaker Avanti cars and other classic car models. And one of the best looking refrigerators I've seen in a movie is the one in Vincent's parents house. The vastness and use of negative space in Jerome's apartment is way cool! What a great looking film. This is going to finish right towards the top of my list.

ALIENS 1986

One of the most science-packed, action-packed, adventurous, suspenseful, good-looking, Science Fiction, Action, Horror movies out there. There is even a pinch of romance in there between Ripley and Corporal Hicks.
All beautifully shown in a Michael Mann-esque blue color scheme space environment.
Loaded with convincing scientific technological advancement, gadgets, weaponry, blowtorches, trackers, spaceships, and machinery. The logic and science behind the continuation of the fictional story development also makes sense.
James Cameron really delivered a total package, never boring, close to perfect, roller coaster ride for viewers of all sorts and ages.

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
There aren't any spoilers in his review. It mostly talks about the circumstances around how it was made.
mentioning that, clicked my poor memory. I already read Suspect's review regarding the way it was made and what the director was going for and it sparked my curiosity. Though, adding your remark only reaffirms a quick re-read before watching it.

enjoyed your write up, @Citizen Rules about Gattaca. When it comes to the icy persona of valid (enhanced) citizens to the more passionate invalid (natural) citizens.
I feel the same way about the ambiance of it as well. It brings me back to it again and again.

A question for @edarsenal or anyone......When you watch Gattaca, pay attention to the scene where Uma Thurman gives Ethan Hawke a strand of her hair, (that happens after she has his hair annualized). There's a very brief closeup of her hand with the hair strand, check that shot out, tell me what you see.

You mean the first "the wind caught it" scene right?

I've just watched it a few times and can't figure out what I'm supposed to be looking for. Is it Hawke's weird, tiny fingernail?

Because it's got me looking at pictures of his hands to see if that's his finger or not haha.

A question for @edarsenal or anyone......When you watch Gattaca, pay attention to the scene where Uma Thurman gives Ethan Hawke a strand of her hair, (that happens after she has his hair annualized). There's a very brief closeup of her hand with the hair strand, check that shot out, tell me what you see.
You mean the first "the wind caught it" scene right?

I've just watched it a few times and can't figure out what I'm supposed to be looking for. Is it Hawke's weird, tiny fingernail?

Because it's got me looking at pictures of his hands to see if that's his finger or not haha.
Not sure what to be looking at either.
The second finger on Uma's hand does look kinda fake and both her and his hand have terrible manicures.
Also, the hair strand is more brunette than blonde. Is that it?

Not sure what to be looking at either.
The second finger on Uma's hand does look kinda fake and both her and his hand have terrible manicures.
Also, the hair strand is more brunette than blonde. Is that it?
Yup, it's 'Uma's hand' which I'm sure is not hers and in fact I'd say it's a man's hand that is used in the closeup off the hand holding the hair strand.. The fingers are big and the thumbnail is gross! Heck I've got pretty nails than that I'm guess that was second unit camera work and Uma and Ethane were nowhere around.

I'm not sure if this will be interesting to anyone else, but I decided to look up the budgets of the nominations, and have sorted them from most expensive, to least expensive to make. They have been adjusted for inflation, with the unadjusted costs listed in parenthesis.

01. Minority Report - $144.9m ($102m)
02. Déjà Vu - $95m ($75m)
03. Gattaca - $57.3 ($36m)
04. Aliens - $43m ($18.5m)
05. Seconds - $35.5m ($4.5m*)
06. Forbidden Planet - $17.85m ($1.9m)
07. Videodrome $15m ($5.95m)
08. Attack the Block - £9.6m/$12.1m (£8m)
09. Robinson Crusoe on Mars - $9.9m ($1.2m*)
10. Timecrimes - $3.2m ($2.6m)
11. Liquid Sky - $1.3m ($500k)
12. Turbo Kid - $57.7k ($53.5k**)
13. Coherence - $54.8k ($50k)

*-estimated
**promotional, as production was government funded

There were a couple of surprises there for me. I didn't except Aliens to cost less than Gattaca, for example. It's also strange to see that the largest budget was over 2600x more expensive than the lowest.

Timecrimes / Los Cronocrímenes (2007)
Directed By: Nacho Vigalondo
Starring: Karra Elejalde, Nacho Vigalondo, Barbara Goenaga

While Timecrimes does have an intriguing set-up, once the narrative device is established, the film becomes incredibly predictable. It does have some unexpected and welcome moments of dark humour, but the story needed to lean much harder in that direction to prevent it from becoming boring. It's a difficult film to talk about without getting into spoilers, so skip the next paragraph if you haven't seen it, and want to go in blind.

Hector's situation is initially somewhat sympathetic, that is until the identity of his pursuer becomes clear. After that point, his increasingly poor decisions reveal him to be a wholly unlikeable character. The causal loop he finds himself in is ultimately unsatisfying because the instigating actions occur with no motivation, and are only carried out because they did so previously. A less contrived reason for Hector's behaviour would have a huge impact on my enjoyment of the story, or an obviously deteriorating state of mind would suffice as well.

That's not to say that Timecrimes was a bad or unenjoyable film though. It does a good job weaving events together, even if the reasoning behind them is questionable. It also remains easy to follow until the very end, unlike other films with a similar scientific premise. While the direction the plot went in was disappointing, I quite liked the ending, mainly due to its touch of dark comedy. I expected more than what we were left with, but it's still entertaining as it is.

Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	time.jpg
Views:	427
Size:	238.6 KB
ID:	54557  

Aliens

I feel like people like to constantly underestimate James Cameron. The man has made two sequels that people like to consider the best sequels of all-time. So consider me pumped for what he has to offer for Avatar 2.

He takes the direction of the series to different heights. Why try to recapture the horror and claustrophobic nature of the first film? It's been done and it was done perfectly. So let's try something a little different, something more in Cameron's wheel house and we get a great action sci/fi film.

Ripley takes on a motherly role, but still manages to be a bad-ass that outlasts numerous "macho" guys. Weaver's best performance as Ripley is in this film. We get to see the beginnings of Cameron's icy blue look that has become a staple of his movies and recurring actors like Bill Paxton, Jenette Goldstein and Michael Biehn.

One of my favourite action films, sci/fi films, Cameron films. It's got a lot going for it. Consider me a fan.

01. Minority Report - $144.9m ($102m)
02. Déjà Vu - $95m ($75m)
03. Gattaca - $57.3 ($36m)
04. Aliens - $43m ($18.5m)
05. Seconds - $35.5m ($4.5m*)
06. Forbidden Planet - $17.85m ($1.9m)
07. Videodrome $15m ($5.95m)
08. Attack the Block - £9.6m/$12.1m (£8m)
09. Robinson Crusoe on Mars - $9.9m ($1.2m*)
10. Timecrimes - $3.2m ($2.6m)
11. Liquid Sky - $1.3m ($500k)
12. Turbo Kid - $57.7k ($53.5k**)
13. Coherence - $54.8k ($50k)
That's all pretty interesting, thanks for doing that.

I'm totally surprised that Turbo Kid could cost only 57.7k, I'd think Michael Ironside's paycheck would have been more than that. Plus if you think about it, they had different sets and on location shooting too.

I'm also surprised Coherence cost as much as it did. I mean if they filmed without a script and in the director's own house, then all that money must have been paid to the director and actors.

I'm totally surprised that Turbo Kid could cost only 57.7k, I'd think Michael Ironside's paycheck would have been more than that. Plus if you think about it, they had different sets and on location shooting too.
As denoted by the asterisk, there are no actual production costs publicized for the film since it was made almost entirely with the assistance of the governments of Canada and New Zealand. There's about a million logos in its opening credits for a reason haha. I listed what they raised on indiegogo, but that was to cover marketing expenses and make merchandise for its fans.

Based on what has been said in interviews, they basically had no money to work with. Ironside said they didn't even have heat in the dressing rooms, but he still loved working on the film because the people involved were so dedicated. They wouldn't have been able to make the movie if they didn't love what they were doing.

Some sources do claim that the budget was $50-70k so it would probably be one spot higher on the list with both costs combined, but I only included numbers that had some credibility.

I'm also surprised Coherence cost as much as it did. I mean if they filmed without a script and in the director's own house, then all that money must have been paid to the director and actors.
My best guess is the gear and post work cost this much.

movies can be okay...
Aliens (1986) by James Cameron

I'm kinda surprised there's much of debate about whether Aliens is better than Alien or not. In my eyes, it's not even close. The original trumps the sequel all day, everyday, any day! Alien is much more intelligent in its approach towards the conflict, and that's by showing patience and restraint, in order to later on fulfil a much more powerful pay-off. Aliens however is going for a completely different thing by being a full-on action flick, which's fine, but if I had to choose which attitude I'd like for a movie to display, the choice would be evident.

The biggest turn-off for me was that this was too much of a popcorn flick, in style and in execution. The generic story was nothing to gush over. The actors are just filling the typical roles found in these kinds of movies, and I'm talking especially about the supporting cast, who are furthermore either body counts, or mouths that are there to deliver those "cool" and "hip" zingers and one-liners. I personally found most of them obnoxious. Not to mention, their performances don't elevate the material either.

The action sequences too weren't impressive; I mean I could barely even see what was happening most of the time, and when I could see what was happening, it's of course the most boring, slow, and anticlimactic brawl there is, between Ripley and the Queen. Paint dried faster than Ripley was able operate that machine suit she was wearing. It still managed to be less ridiculous though, than Vasquez trying to carry ther gigantic gun all throughout the movie. Overall, the film is a done-to-death story done right, but not exceptionally right.

The only thing I'd like to add is about the sound mixing. It could very much so be just a problem with the copy I watched, but if it isn't, man was it annoying. It was quite the hassle to continuously adjust the volume whenever something loud happened.
"A film has to be a dialogue, not a monologue — a dialogue to provoke in the viewer his own thoughts, his own feelings. And if a film is a dialogue, then it’s a good film; if it’s not a dialogue, it’s a bad film."
- Michael "Gloomy Old Fart" Haneke

Aliens has now surpassed Seconds as the most reviewed film so far.

I was considering rewatching Aliens today as well, but I wanted to watch the Special Edition, and it was a little long for the amount of free time I had. I'll probably have to wait until Friday.

I did a terrible job of spacing out the new watches with rewatches, since I have 6 films left and they're all ones I've seen before haha. On the plus side, that makes it a little easier to figure out what I'm in the mood for, since I know what to expect with each of them.

movies can be okay...
Yeah, I totally agree that he's great, just not seen as the most deep stuff. Not like being deep matters that much to the quality of the film (at least for me)...
Personally, if the director is gonna commit to a full-on action flick and nothing else, then he better deliver on that action, which's something I was underwhelmed by once I finally saw the movie. I get it, it's extremely hard to shoot those kind of sequences with big ass Xenomorph puppets, but again, that's the challenge that Cameron chose to take on, and I don't think he succeeded in surpassing it.