The 2nd Science Fiction Hall of Fame

Tools    

If I had read what Suspect wrote about Coherence before seeing the film, I think I might have appreciated it more.

My write-up might seem a bit scathing, but it's actually a decent film. I'm glad it was nominated, since interesting little films like that can definitely do with more exposure.

Aliens (1986)

Aliens, a satisfying watch with a little something for everyone. I'd only seen this once many years ago. I mostly didn't remember it, mostly.

I was engaged from the get-go and entertained by the antics of the overly confident space marines. Bill Paxton was the best! He really had a lot of good lines and made the film memorable. Especially after the alien guts hit the fan and he literally soiled himself with reconstituted marine food rations.

I liked Paul Reiser's weaselly 'yes man' from the evil space corporation. He was good at being only a touch weaselly and yet oh so convincing with his fake sincerity. He added a lot to the film. So did Carrie Henn who played the little girl 'Newt'.

Director James Cameron uses Newt and Ripley to give the story some touching moments. This is the same type of sentimentality coupled with a horrifying situation that Cameron used in Titanic, so as to give the audience an insight into the human cost of such a large tragedy...or in Aliens case a window into the human cost to the horror of the planet.

What I mostly liked about Aliens was that the film never was too graphic or overly torturous of it's characters. For a sci fi horror film it almost had a light touch especially with the humorous marines and that made for a fun time watching Xenophobe aliens doing some naughty things!

Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	th.jpg
Views:	646
Size:	23.4 KB
ID:	54503  

Aliens And one that I always go with the Director's Cut every since I got my hands on a copy.
I had it on DVD and it had the choice for Theatrical Cut or Extended/Director's Cut...I went with the Theatrical Cut. Do you know what the main difference is?

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
I had it on DVD and it had the choice for Theatrical Cut or Extended/Director's Cut...I went with the Theatrical Cut. Do you know what the main difference is?
WARNING: "A few extended scenes" spoilers below
Such as you actually learn about Ripley's daughter who died, in her sixties a few years previously.
You see the colony before the attack and you learn that it was Newt's parents, along with her brother that come across the giant spacecraft and are the first to be in contact with the eggs. You also learn that it was a Corporate Suit that requests the survey without mentioning the very possible danger of it.
The meeting with the committee is extended and you have a few more build up scenes with prepping and a couple more scenes with them securing themselves against the xenophobes as well.

Just a few extra bits to round out the enjoyment of the film really for any fan. Though the first two points make it very worthwhile to see the Director's Cut and they would have been ideal for the theatrical cut.

Déjà Vu 2006
Directed By: Tony Scott
nominated by: rauldc14

Very enjoyable re-watch loved the opening scenes even more the second time around, very well done.
The film features some great shots of New Orleans beautiful surroundings, would like to have seen more of these shots, but there were other more important details for Scott to film in relation to the story, so it’s understandable he couldn't.

Denzel Washington and Tony Scott are a great team and it showed in this very well made engaging Sci-Fi thriller, and although it doesn’t seem that way at first glance it’s also very romantic.
Denzel with his usual commanding screen presence and charisma alongside Paula Patton (Claire Kuchever) whose performance was quite enjoyable as well.
(Lost track of this actress after 2006, what is she up to?)
A small part for Kilmer (Agent Pryzwarra) just being Kilmer, he really should have lost some weight before shooting, solid, but nothing special.
Excellent performance by Jim Caviezel as the slightly cuckoo but still very focused and dangerous villain, loved the interaction between him and Denzel during the interrogation scene.

Gave it a 4 out of 5 back in 2006, but enjoyed it more the second time around so the rating will go up a bit.

Don't Worry Baby

Aliens

This is one of my top ten favorite movies currently (I always switch it around). Everything just works so well, the characters, the music, the action. It perfectly combines horror, thriller, and adventure elements to create a ride so different from Alien but just as good. I must say, James Cameron movies are a bit of guilty pleasures for me. Yes, they're trash compared with Hitchcock and Kubrick, but they're such quality trash. Aliens is always enjoyable, and I think this will go above even my own nom, Minority Report, on my ballot. I think it has a pretty good chance of winning it all too, and very deservedly.

Aliens

This is one of my top ten favorite movies currently (I always switch it around). Everything just works so well, the characters, the music, the action. It perfectly combines horror, thriller, and adventure elements to create a ride so different from Alien but just as good. I must say, James Cameron movies are a bit of guilty pleasures for me. Yes, they're trash compared with Hitchcock and Kubrick, but they're such quality trash. Aliens is always enjoyable, and I think this will go above even my own nom, Minority Report, on my ballot. I think it has a pretty good chance of winning it all too, and very deservedly.
I think Cameron is a pretty good director, I mean Titanic won Best Picture Oscar and he's made a lot of successful films, The Abyss being one of them. I like how he took Aliens to a whole different take, than Ridley did with Alien (Alien is great too of course.) Cameron effortlessly combined sci-fi horror with action all with exuberant fun. Damn it's hard to spell 'exuberant' Firefox spell check suggested the word I was trying to type was 'excrement', ha! I'm glad I caught that before I hit Post Reply.

If I had read what Suspect wrote about Coherence before seeing the film, I think I might have appreciated it more.

My write-up might seem a bit scathing, but it's actually a decent film. I'm glad it was nominated, since interesting little films like that can definitely do with more exposure.
I was going to wait, like I now try to do with films I don't know, but I might just do that and read Suspect's review on the day I watch Coherence.
Certain films, I've found, do better with me when I get a little perspective on them.

Ahh, thanks Ed...if I ever watch Aliens again I'll check out the Director's Cut.
yeah, it's that added bit of spice to a previously enjoyed meal. Not necessary, but quite enjoyable.
Also, like the occasional Additional Footage, these are completed, post production scenes so there's no lesser quality when you come across them.

I think Cameron is a pretty good director, I mean Titanic won Best Picture Oscar and he's made a lot of successful films, The Abyss being one of them. I like how he took Aliens to a whole different take, than Ridley did with Alien (Alien is great too of course.) Cameron effortlessly combined sci-fi horror with action all with exuberant fun. Damn it's hard to spell 'exuberant' Firefox spell check suggested the word I was trying to type was 'excrement', ha! I'm glad I caught that before I hit Post Reply.
Yeah, I totally agree that he's great, just not seen as the most deep stuff. Not like being deep matters that much to the quality of the film (at least for me)...

Déjà Vu 2006
Directed By: Tony Scott
nominated by: rauldc14

alongside Paula Patton (Claire Kuchever) whose performance was quite enjoyable as well.
(Lost track of this actress after 2006, what is she up to?)
For me, I've seen her in Mission Impossible: Ghost Protocol

and she hooked up with Denzil again in a great lil popcorn fodder action/crime flick 2 Guns

and a couple of others I haven't seen her in. Which, also includes, Mirrors

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
Turbo Kid

I wanted to like this one, but I continually found myself falling short of what I wanted out of it. I think a lot of that has to do with the script being a bit too wooden for me. I needed more to happen. I wanted a bond to be seen created on film between the two main characters and it all seemed a bit forced. I really didn't care for Munro Chambers as the kid. His performance was just too vanillia for my tastes. I did enjoy Laurence Labeouf as Apple. I thought she did a really good job playing the robot.

Aside from that, there wasn't a lot to take away. I never more to happen with the story. It felt a bit like an action packed mindless Mad Max film for me. I liked the look of the film but things like that can only bring how I feel about a film so far. I'm not sure about how I feel the violence was portrayed as it honestly seemed like it was just trying to ooze coolness for the sake of having it.

Turbo Kid

I wanted to like this one, but I continually found myself falling short of what I wanted out of it. I think a lot of that has to do with the script being a bit too wooden for me. I needed more to happen. I wanted a bond to be seen created on film between the two main characters and it all seemed a bit forced. I really didn't care for Munro Chambers as the kid. His performance was just too vanillia for my tastes. I did enjoy Laurence Labeouf as Apple. I thought she did a really good job playing the robot.

Aside from that, there wasn't a lot to take away. I never more to happen with the story. It felt a bit like an action packed mindless Mad Max film for me. I liked the look of the film but things like that can only bring how I feel about a film so far. I'm not sure about how I feel the violence was portrayed as it honestly seemed like it was just trying to ooze coolness for the sake of having it.

It was a comedy take on 1980s B sci fi movies! It's not trying to be high brow sci-fi.

I didn't think it was very funny if that was it's angle.
That was its angle, it was a take off on the 80s B sci fi movies. I guess you had to be there
Is it for Kung Fury fans too?

I was going to wait, like I now try to do with films I don't know, but I might just do that and read Suspect's review on the day I watch Coherence.
Certain films, I've found, do better with me when I get a little perspective on them.
There aren't any spoilers in his review. It mostly talks about the circumstances around how it was made.

Is it for Kung Fury fans too?
Turbo Kid is not as obviously over-the-top from the start. It's not subtle, but it's a lot more subdued than Kung Fury. I quite like both though.

Kung Fury raised 10x as much money on Kickstarter than Turbo Kid did on indiegogo, but seeing the films, you'd think those numbers were reversed, especially given Kung Fury's short runtime. I did find Kung Fury slightly disappointing, but I had high expectations for it. I didn't even know Turbo Kid was crowd-funded when I saw it the first time, but it still managed to impress me.