MoFo Top 100 Horror Movies: The List

→ in
Tools    

You mean me? Kei's cousin?
Huh. All this talk about The Shining and Warner just announced that they're releasing it on 4K Blu-ray.

We've gone on holiday by mistake
Seems like Kubrick always wins these countdowns.

The Thing (1982)
Runtime: 1 Hr 49 Mins
Production Company: The Turman-Foster Company
Distributed by Universal Pictures
Production Budget: $15,000,000
Box Office: $19,600,000
Forty Six Votes
790 Points (25, 25, 25, 25, 24, 24, 24, 24, 24, 24, 24, 23, 22, 22, 22, 21, 21, 21,
21, 20, 19, 18, 18, 18, 17, 17, 17, 17, 17, 17, 16, 16, 16, 14, 14, 14, 12, 9, 8, 8, 7, 7, 6, 5, 5, 2)
High Voter: @gandalf26 , @Siddon , @CosmicRunaway , @Iroquois

An American scientific expedition witness some crazed airborne Norwegians chasing down and executing a dog. The Norwegian helicopter explodes, leaving no explanation. Later that night, the same dog does some weird sh*t to the other dogs and then the scientific team investigates. Led by Wilford Brimley and Kurt Russell.

So, The Norwegians Find It,
And They Dig It Out Of The Ice
Garry (Donald Moffat)

The Shining (1980)
Runtime: 2 Hrs 24 Mins
Production Company: The Producer Company Circle
Distributed by Warner Bros
Production Budget: $19,000,000
Box Office: $44,400,000
Forty Six Votes
879 Points (25, 25, 25, 25, 25, 25, 25, 25, 24, 24, 24, 24, 24, 24, 24, 23, 23, 23,
23, 23, 23, 22, 22, 22, 22, 22, 22, 20, 20, 20, 19, 18, 18, 17, 16, 14, 13, 12, 9, 9, 9, 7, 6, 6, 4, 4)
High Voter: @ScarletLion , @the samoan lawyer , @Sedai , @StanleyKubrick , @Mingusings , @MovieMeditation , @Frightened Inmate No. 2

Mr Grady, Weren't You Once The Caretaker Here
Why No Sir, I Don't Believe So
-Delbert Grady And Jack Torrance
Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	The Thing 2.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	90.1 KB
ID:	54171   Click image for larger version

Name:	The Shining 1.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	84.9 KB
ID:	54173  
Attached Images

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
The Thing is a wild reimaging of the Hawks/Nyby 1951 flick and closer in tone to the original John W. Campbell Jr story which is apparently one of the first sci-fi stories about shape-shifters from outer space. At the time of its release, The Thing wasn't really greeted with good reviews, but I've always loved it, and I find it to be Carpenter's masterpiece. It's a lean, mean, fighting machine with almost nothing in the way of wasted scenes and a strong sense of its own capability of holding your interest while taking it's sweet time in building things up. Now, Carpenter has always tried to build his films in a similar fashion, but to me, this is the one where he's far more successful than ever before or since. Maybe it's the exotic location of Antarctica. Who can name more than five films, not including documentaries and cartoons, which take place on that continent? Maybe it's the mind-boggling special and makeup effects which to this day are some of the most-disgusting-yet-witty displays of violent destruction of life ever depicted on film. Maybe it's the combo of the men's camraderie and their contempt of each other because once it becomes clear what the hell this thing is and what it wants to do, it makes the all-male cast want to keep to themselves even though they all would probably like to have someone cover their back if they could only trust them. Both Twelve O'Clock High and The Thing are about men facing impossible odds in an attempt to survive and theoretically help save humankind. In The Thing, there's a computer calculation which states that if the ONE Thing were left to its own devices, it would take over every single living thing on earth in about three years. So yeah, that showdown at the end of The Thing, which reminds me more of John Huston's The Treasure of the Sierra Madre (Dobbs and Curtin betting on who's going to fall asleep first) than it does anything in Hawks' Red River or the original The Thing (Hawks being Carpenter's fave director), is basically about the survival of the human race.
Films like Barry Lyndon and The Shining do seem the coldest Kubricks to me, but Barry Lyndon has an ironic narrator and a truly ironic ending which added layers to the film so that now I don't feel nearly as rebuffed by the film as I did initially. I've related the story here before about how I saw a sneak preview of The Shining with my brother, and we were very disappointed in how one-note the thing was. We didn't find it scary except for a few images, and it went on and on to a changed frozen conclusion which really put us off. Now I can accept it for the pleasures found along the way, and I can forgive Nicholson - he's so funny - for being over-the-top almost from the get-go.
My List
1. Gremlins
2. Poltergeist
3. The Exorcist
4. The Innocents
5. An American Werewolf in London.
6. Rosemary's Baby
7. Alien
8. Psycho
9. Altered Siates
10. The Fly ('86)
11. Gremlins 2: The New Batch
12. Grindhouse
13. The Stepfather
14. Psycho 2
15. Dead of Night
16. Wait Until Dark
17. Carrie
18. The Omen
19. The Thing
20 The Shining
21. Arachnophobia
22. Shaun of the Dead
23. Let the Right One In
24. Invasion of the Body Snatchers ('78)
25. Diabolique

I was 9 when I saw The Shining at the movies and I can still remember where I was sitting. I'm surprised I wasn't bored at that age but I guess I was too busy being frozen with fear. Jack's performance is the standard for the genre as far as I'm concerned. Not a surprise that it topped the countdown.

I didn't see The Thing at the movies and I can't remember the first time I saw it, sometime in the 80's is all I'm sure of. It's always been a favorite and I'm sure the only reason I didn't have it higher is because I haven't seen it in a while.

1. An American Werewolf in London (#16)
2. The Devil's Rejects (#74)
3. The Shining (#1)
4. The Exorcist (#5)
5. Kill List (No Show)
6. Wolf Creek (No Show)
7. The Fly (#10)
8. The Last House on the Left (#90)
9. Near Dark (No Show)
10. Deep Red (#66)
11. Possession (#33)
12. The Evil Dead (#13)
13. Basket Case (No Show)
14. The Thing (#2)
15. 28 Days Later (#23)
16. Carrie (#45)
17. Pet Sematary (No Show)
18. Cabin Fever (No Show)
19. Inside (No Show)
20. The Omen (#35)
21. The Brood (No Show)
22. Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde (#84)
23. Hellraiser (#53)
24. Fright Night (No Show)
25. Alien (#3)

Toughest omissions-
Return of the Living Dead
Dawn of the Dead
The Re-Animator
The Innocents
Maniac (original)
The Hills Have Eyes (Remake)
The Mist
Hostel
Saw
Christine
The Stepfather
Black Christmas
Alice Sweet Alice

Thank you for hosting Nostro. You were certainly the man for the job-great work!!

Favorites Music Playlist by Nostromo

Don't Lie To Me by Dokken
I Know What I Like by Lita Ford
Youth Of America by Birdbrain
I Am Nancy by Arlene Marechal
The Sha Na Na Na Song by The Rubettes
Creep by Haley Reinhart

Oh, I've Got Fifteen Movies From My List I Didn't Share Yet

Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	Urban Legend.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	259.7 KB
ID:	54176  

I seen The Thing first run in the theater, and the combination of the big screen and a very responsive audience made that move impactful! For me the two most iconic scenes are: the mutating alien dog in the kennel which causes those poor Huskies to panic as they see the horror that they are caged up with. Come to think of it, it's the being caged with no escape as the thing transforms, that's most horrifying...Even more so when the men are strapped helpless to their chairs as their blood is being tested...Then, you know what happens! and how damn scary that would be to find yourself tied in your chair right next to that mutating monster!

I really like The Thing and it has kept its charm over the years. Fantastic effects and great sense of isolation and paranoia. The Shining on the other hand is extremely overrated in my opinion. It's certainly OK movie but, to me, nothing more. My full list is below.

1. The Exorcist (1973 - Friedkin)
2. Let the Right One In (2008 - Alfredson)
3. Ringu (1998 - Nakata)
4. Pulse (2001 - Kurosawa)
5. The Thing (1982 - Carpenter)
6. In a Glass Cage (1986 - Villaronga)
7. Ginger Snaps (2000 - Fawcett)
8. Poison for the Fairies (1984 - Taboada)
9. Suspiria (1977 - Argento)
10. Alien (1979 - Scott)

11. The Reflecting Skin (1990 - Ridley)
12. The Beyond (1981 - Fulci)
13. Prince of Darkness (1987 - Carpenter)
14. Deep Red (1975 - Argento)
15. Don't Torture a Duckling (1972 - Fulci)
16. The Descent (2005 - Marshall)
17. The House with Laughing Windows (1976 - Avati)
18. City of the Living Dead (1980 - Fulci)
19. The Changeling (1980 - Medak)
20. The Conjuring (2013 - Wan)

21. Dog Soldiers (2002 - Marshall)
22. Dark Water (2002 - Nakata)
23. A Tale of Two Sisters (2003 - Kim)
24. Dark Waters (1993 - Baino)
25. Lemora: A Child's Tale of the Supernatural (1973 - Blackburn)

Even though I was really into The Shining for quite a long time several years back, I think I'd have liked to see Psycho win. It's a hard call really though. What movie would you have liked to see #1?

Both great movies, so glad The Shining won. It was my #3, and I'm perfectly happy with #1. The Thing I also loved, and had it at #9.

1. The Exorcist
2. Psycho
3. The Shining
4. Texas Chainsaw Massacre
5. Alien
6. Halloween
7. Night of the Living Dead
8. Nosferatu (original)
9. The Thing
10. Rosemary’s Baby
11. The Bride of Frankenstein
12. Peeping Tom
13. Dracula (1931)
14. King Kong
15. The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari
16. Get Out
17. Nightmare on Elm Street
18. Suspiria
19. Saw
20. Scream
21. Freaks
22. A Quiet Place
23. Repulsion
24. The Babadook
25. The Invisible Man

What an excellent day for an exorcism
The Thing is a wild reimaging of the Hawks/Nyby 1951 flick and closer in tone to the original John W. Campbell Jr story which is apparently one of the first sci-fi stories about shape-shifters from outer space.
Fans, including myself, often repeat that popular opinion regarding Carpenter's film being closer in tone to Campbell's novella than Hawks/Nyby film. Then the curiosity bug bit me and I started a website project to stare and compare the two films stacked next to novella. The results were surprising.

The results revealed that while Carpenter's film retained the edge regarding key elements of Campbell's story, one being the most obvious, the physical attributes of the alien, it wasn't exactly a shut out. While Hawk's film purposely strayed significantly, making it loosely based on the novella, it is in some respects whether intended or not, more faithful to Campbell's story than Carpenter's film.

Not that it matters, I love both films, and I consider Carpenter's version of the story as my favorite over Campbell and Hawks version of the story.

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
I would have been pretty happy with either hitting the #1 mark.

For my personal choice of #1, I'd go with my #1 The Exorcist.

Films Watched: 60 out of 100. 19 out of 25 made the Countdown
#1 The Exorcist (#5)
#2 Carrie (#45)
#3 The Shining (#1)
#4 Ringu (#31)
#5 Ju-on: The Grudge (2005) Didn't Make It.
#6 Psycho (#4)
#7 Halloween (#6)
#8 Dawn of the Dead (#8)
#9 Freaks (#55)
#10 Alien (#3)
#11 Hellraiser (#53)
#12 Mama (2013) Didn't Make It
#13 The Thing (#2)
#14 Frankenstein (1931) Didn't Make It.
#15 The Wolf Man (1941) Didn't Make It.

#16 Sinister (#76)
#17 The Omen (#35)
#18 The Evil Dead (#13)
#19 An American Werewolf in London (#16)
#20 The Devil's Backbone (#89)
#21 Dr Jekyll & Mr Hyde (#84)
#22 Theatre of Blood (#103)
#23 Re-Animator (#88)
#24 Final Destination (2000) Didn't Make It.
#25 28 Days Later (#23)