MoFo Top 100 Horror Movies: The List

→ in
Tools    

Still only one of my top 6 in Repulsion, three others seem almost certain to feature, one was always a longshot but I'm a bit disappointed another looks like its missed out.

TCM? Sigh.

To quote Ryan Phillipe in Way Of The Gun - "Shut that ****s mouth or I'll come over there and ****-start her head."

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
Suspect's Film That Did Not Make It.

Night of the Living Dead

I specifically put the remake on my list and not the original because I knew the remake is a forgotten gem. It's a really well done remake that changes up a few things for the better. Making Barbara a stronger character, the effects are top notch and the pacing feels tighter. Yes, the original is a classic and changed the way horror films are done, but I knew it didn't need my help.

Final Destination

This was one of a few entries that I knew were never going to make it, but I felt like I had to throw it a placement anyways. I loved this film as a kid and still think it is uniquely creative in the kills and set-up. It has since gone on to become a series of gore and suspense, each one with lesser results. Yet the original is still held high in my eyes.

Dead-Alive

AKA Braindead. The goriest film of all-time and hilarious to boot. There are moments so gross that I have to look away in disgust. Specifically the dinner scene when his mother's body parts are falling off. Jackson's splatter-fest is a lot of fun and his best film next to his LOTR series.

You're Next

Another film I knew wouldn't make it. I nominated this film for the first horror HoF. It did "okay", but I honestly feel this film deserves more recognition. It spins the home invasion sub genre enough to make it unique and fun, while maintaining the 'cliches' in a comedic way.

Fright Night

I honestly thought this one was going to make it. Once we past the halfway mark I kind of expected it to not show. Great effects, memorable characters and one of the best vampire films of all-time. Fright Night is pure 80's fun.

Return of the Living Dead

I mentioned this one previously. Hilarious, awesome make-up effects and perfect balance of tone. Saw maybe one of the 'sequels' and doesn't match the quality of the original. I try to watch it every October.

Black Christmas

This one hurts. A full 4 years before Michael Myers was stalking people on Halloween, Billy was in the attic of this sorority house. The best Canadian-Horror film and one of the best slasher films to grace the screen. Out of all the films on my list that didn't make it, Dead Alive and Black Christmas are two films that I honestly thought were going to be top 50 material.

For shame.

I won't reveal what placements they were.

Suspect's Reviews

Welcome to the human race...
TCM? Sigh.

To quote Ryan Phillipe in Way Of The Gun - "Shut that ****s mouth or I'll come over there and ****-start her head."
Figures that a Freddy fan would resort to bad one-liners.

Black Christmas (1974) did get kind of ripped off, though wasn't too far away from landing. I also chose Final Destination (2000) for my horror slate.

Rosemary's Baby (1968)
Runtime: 2 Hrs 16 Mins
Distributed by Paramount Pictures
Production Budget: $3,200,000
Box Office: $33,400,000
Twenty Six Votes
456 Points (25, 25, 25, 25, 24, 24, 22, 22, 20, 20, 20, 20, 20, 19, 19, 18, 17, 17, 16, 13, 13, 12, 11, 11, 11, 5)
High Voter: @Sunomis , @Holden Pike , @Nope1172 , @Nemanja

This brilliant adaptation of Ira Levin's best-selling novel is the story of a loving young New York City couple who are expecting their first child. Like most first-time mothers, Rosemary (Mia Farrow) experiences confusion and fear. Her husband (John Cassavetes), an ambitious but unsuccessful actor, makes a pact with the devil that promises to send his career skyward. Director Roman Polanski elicits uniformly extraordinary performances from the all-star cast. Ruth Gordon won an Oscar for her performance as a oversolicitous next-door neighbor in this classic chiller. From: The DVD Case.

Lullaby - sung by Mia Farrow
Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	Rosemarys Baby 7.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	54.5 KB
ID:	54017  
Attached Images

Rosemary's Baby is quite OK but, in my opinion, highly overrated. It's absurd enough to become almost comedy at times and majority of its characters are completely nuts. I was quite disappointed when I rewatched it few months ago.

Seen: 83/94

I do not understand why there seems to be a dislike towards Rosemary’s Baby on this forum. I’ve seen several people comment unfavorably on it - and even more weird, using the word “overrated”. It revolutionized the horror genre in many ways. That alone makes it far from overrated. Of course it’s okay to have different opinions, but I’m just rather surprised is all.

Before I saw it myself, I saw it mentioned on several top lists and critics and audiences alike thought it to be great. Even so, with all that hype, I still ended up loving it. The atmosphere is great, the build-up and the subtle, calm and concentrated storytelling is absolutely genius. The darkness just brews under the surface like crazy and it’s so unsettling. Just talking about it makes me want to see it again.

Here is what I wrote about it way back when I had it at 3 on my Top 50 Horror list:

3. Rosemary's Baby (1968)
· · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · ·

What I absolutely love about Polanski’s horror classic and the horror genre in general, is when things are left for the viewer to decide, and with this movie that particular element is executed effortlessly. Just one time in the entire film we are introduced to something, which is shown explicitly as inhuman and supernatural, however even this scene is shown in a quite dreamy and nightmarish manner. My here point is, that everything of which could place this film in the horror genre is hidden underneath, though it always feels constantly present and in that way works much stronger, than when leaving everything out in the open. Being scared by images on screen is one thing, but being scared by the images we create ourselves within our own mind, is always much more deep and demonizing.

So namely because of its obvious themes and the underlying layers of satanic ritualistic movements, it is undoubtedly a horror film, but especially because of its dramatic and grounded approach it is only truthfully a horror film on the inside. This perfectly balanced combination gives Rosemary’s Baby a true and versified sense of terror and fear, which is even better realized when held together by the sensitive and tightly written script, and the controlled claustrophobic direction by Polanski.

Why is it on my list?
This is a classic horror film and a true milestone in the cinema history as well… A film, which also inspired many later horror oriented projects to take on the same approach as Polanski did so admirably well here. I have watched this film a couple of times now, and it gets better every time. Such great filmmaking in my opinion.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
My #6
Perfect realization by the adapter/director of Ira Levin's novel is probably the greatest Hitchcock film which Hitch didn't direct. The tension is non-stop, the dark humor rampant, the acting incredible, and the visuals and Christopher Komeda's music could scarcely be better. Polanski's mise-en-scene is masterful, creating dread just by hearing a car horn honk or the repetition of an unseen pianist practicing Beethoven. The duality found in the sound effects and character behavior is meticulous and gives sharp viewers many clues in how to interpret what's going on with Rosemary (Mia Farrow), her husband (John Cassavetes) and the other full-blooded characters we see at that creepy apartment building with a past. The film is scary as hell, but all the more so because you can believe that it could happen. Maybe Satan did spawn the baby or maybe these crazy Satan-worshippers want it for their own. You tell me. Which is scarier?
My List
1. Gremlins
2. Poltergeist
4. The Innocents
5. An American Werewolf in London.
6. Rosemary's Baby
9. Altered Siates
10. The Fly ('86)
16. Wait Until Dark
17. Carrie
18. The Omen
22. Shaun of the Dead
23. Let the Right One In
24. Invasion of the Body Snatchers ('78)
25. Diabolique

I had Rosemary's Baby at #9. The book, just like Levin's Stepford Wives, was an obvious satire and critique of women's roles in society, and the film keeps that and even expands on those themes, and sadly more than fifty years later "society" still thinks it has the right to control a woman's body. (And whatever you do, don't read Ira Levin's sequel Son of Rosemary as it's the second worse book I've ever managed to read all the way through.)

I've got one more film of mine left to show up.

My List:

1. The Omen (#35)
2. Let the Right One In (#14)
3. Night of the Living Dead (#17)
4. Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1956) (#70)
5. The Texas Chain Saw Massacre (#8)
7. An American Werewolf in London (#16)
8. Nosferatu (#27)
9. Rosemary’s Baby (#7)
10. The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari (#25)
11. Diabolique (#75)
15. Repulsion (#24)
16. Peeping Tom (#54)
17. Bride of Frankenstein (#68)
18. Antichrist (#82)
19. Don’t Look Now (#64)
20. Hausu (#57)
23. Vampyr (#65)
25. Of Unknown Origin (1-pointer)

I've never really been a fan of The Texas Chainsaw Massacre series. That brand of horror just doesn't usually work for me, since I don't find them remotely frightening, and none of the scenes even feel tense. Because of that, I just find those films to be quite boring. It's just not my cup of tea.

Rosemary's Baby is another film I definitely should've rewatched for the Countdown, but didn't manage to make time for it. I haven't seen it since I was a kid, and I doubt that at the time I really understand everything the story had to offer.

Seen: 75/94
My List: 14

You're Next
Another film I knew wouldn't make it. I nominated this film for the first horror HoF. It did "okay", but I honestly feel this film deserves more recognition. It spins the home invasion sub genre enough to make it unique and fun, while maintaining the 'cliches' in a comedic way.
I had this on my list, near the bottom. I think the comedic elements are what make the typical slasher tropes entertaining, or at least that's the only reason I can think of to explain why I enjoy this one, but find the films that play those aspects straight to be quite bland haha.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
Suspect's Film That Did Not Make It.

Fright Night

I honestly thought this one was going to make it. Once we past the halfway mark I kind of expected it to not show. Great effects, memorable characters and one of the best vampire films of all-time. Fright Night is pure 80's fun.

For shame.

I won't reveal what placements they were.

Fright Night (1985) was one of the two 80’s vampire movies on my list.

Although the top ten reveal has a level of excitement for placement, I'm intrigued for the part where members share their individual lists. As demonstrated by @TheUsualSuspect 's post, there are plenty of good horror movies that didn't get on as well.