MoFo Top 100 Horror Movies: The List

→ in
Tools    

I can't believe Dracula won't make it. Although honestly it's not going to.
I’m really hoping it does, you’re right through it probably won’t.

The Fly (1986)
Runtime: 1 Hr 36 Mins
Production Company: Brooksfilms
Distributed by 20th Century Fox
Production Budget: $15,000,000
Box Office: $60,600,000
Twenty Four Votes
324 Points (25, 24, 24, 23, 22, 22, 20, 19, 17, 16, 12, 12, 12, 12, 10, 10, 9, 8, 7, 6, 6, 4, 3, 1)
High Voter: @Yam12

"You're afraid to be destroyed and recreated, aren't you"
Seth Brundle
Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	The Fly Ten.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	51.2 KB
ID:	53902  
Attached Images

Really thought the love for The Fly was higher, though one shouldn’t complain about a top ten placing...

I love this movie so much and have watched it countless of times. A tragic romance for the century, the best beauty and the beast adaption and such a nice, little, contained creeper of a film. I awarded it the full five last time I saw it. I had it at #6

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
The Fly was also my #10.
The Fly (David Cronenberg, 1986)

"Be Afraid. Be Very Afraid." One of the greatest advertising tags to any movie proves to be truth in advertising in what I consider Cronenberg's best film by about a million miles. Somehow, the characters in this film, Seth (Jeff Goldblum) and Roni (Geena Davis), are so empathetic and wonderfully portrayed by the pair of actors that they turn the film into a pure tragedy, almost ranking with Brooksfilms' own The Elephant Man or The Hunchback of Notre Dame which this film occasionally resembles visually. Jeff Goldblum gives a performance worthy of an Oscar, let alone the nomination he was robbed of, and Geena Davis (who married him the next year) is equally spectacular in a film which delves into characters and reality in a way which this year's Watchmen was totally incapable of doing. Seth Brundle in The Fly has more humanity in his "fly hair" than all the Watchmen combined. Now, whether you want to argue that the Watchmen are fleshed out in the graphic novel or not, I'll stand by my statement because Brundle doesn't have a flippin' backstory to somehow try to convince you that he's worthy of your care and concern. However, he does have Goldblum's eyes, voice, wit and intelligence.

The Fly
is a pure horror film. What it shows the audience is disgusting and pathetic, but it never begs for any forgiveness, and that's exactly why the characters earn it; they all behave as woefully human as people you and I know. Yes, even the character I consider the Bastard in the film, John Getz (Blood Simple) as Roni's scummy boss, seems to somehow redeem himself and turn into a form of human being at the end when he's the most-deformed. The Fly is a straight-out masterpiece to me. It's not only Cronenberg's most mature film, it's his funniest, most-romantic, most complete and fulfilled flick, no matter what you may think of the way it ends so quickly. In fact, the ending most reminds me of another fave film of mine from the '80s which many of our younger MoFos seem to misunderstand, An American Werewolf in London. The endings of both films are so quick only to emphasize the shocking tragedy involved while not wallowing in any sentimentality to make you think differently than the disturbing imagery to which you have just been witness.
My List
1. Gremlins
2. Poltergeist
4. The Innocents
5. An American Werewolf in London.
9. Altered Siates
10. The Fly ('86)
16. Wait Until Dark
17. Carrie
18. The Omen
22. Shaun of the Dead
23. Let the Right One In
24. Invasion of the Body Snatchers ('78)
25. Diabolique

Another one I didn’t vote for, not a huge fan. I guess my 13 and 14 won’t be making it, I expect the others to though.

The Fly was No.23 on my list. I haven't seen it in a while but it was very hard to make out the bottom of my list.

1. The Blair Witch Project (1999)
3. Funny Games (1997)
4. The Witch (2015)
6. Shaun of the Dead
7. Evil Dead
13. [REC]
14. Hereditary
15. Invasion of the body snatchers (1978)
16. Creep (2014)
17. The Wicker Man (1973)
18. Saw
20. An American Werewolf in London
21. Gremlins
23. The Fly (1986)

I love The Fly but I cut three movies that I had previously placed on my science fiction list, and The Fly was one of them. They were all difficult cuts though and the other two will be showing up soon.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
The Fly (Review Here) was the one film I wrestled with the most. I wanted to put it on my list, but ultimately did not.

Looking back, I should have and it should have placed high.

Great film.

Suspect's Reviews

I had Romero's original grandaddy of 'em all Night of the Living Dead as my seventh overall pick. It's still unsettling today, perhaps partly because the low budget aesthetic has made it seem more like a documentary and thus more timeless? Cronenberg's The Fly is the perfect pairing of material and sensibility, giving him a rare box office success that absolutely required his style and proclivities. I had it as my eighteenth choice. Embarrassingly I made my list in such haste that I somehow neglected to include An American Werewolf in London, which should have been in my top ten. My potential extra points might not have upped it a full place on the collective list, but I feel horrible that I missed it in the shuffle of taking Jaws and Wake in Fright off of my list.

Oh, well. My remaining five titles are included in the collective top nine.

HOLDEN’S LIST
2. The Bride of Frankenstein (#68)
5. Get Out (#39)
6. The Blair Witch Project (#34)
7. Night of the Living Dead (#17)
8. Don’t Look Now (#64)
9. Possession (#33)
10. Invasion of the Body Snatchers 1956 (#70)
12. Antichrist (#82)
13. Jacob’s Ladder (#67)
14. It Follows (#78)
15. The Innocents (#20)
16. Freaks (#55)
17. The Babadook (#63)
18. The Fly 1986 (#10)
20. Eyes Without a Face (#46)
21. Near Dark (DNP)
22. Repulsion (#24)
23. Shaun of the Dead (#21)
24. Hereditary (#56)
25. Trouble Every Day (DNP)

"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

The Fly, hell yes! That was #2 on my list! Call it a horror, call it sci-fi, call it romance...whatever you call it, I call it awesome!

The Fly (David Cronenberg, 1986)

A brilliant but reclusive scientist (Jeff Goldblum) discovers the means of tele-transportation. His science break through will change the world. He convinces a woman journalist (Geena Davis) to document his experiment. As a romance ensues between the two, he tries the experiment on himself. But unknown to him a fly has enter the chamber too, their DNA is combined transforming him into a man/fly hybrid.

I used that photo, as to me that's what the film is about...it's about the trust and love that grew between a reclusive, lonely scientist and the woman reporter who at first tricks him to get the story of the century, but then falls in love with him. Most everyone will focus on the horror elements of The Fly, but it's so much more than just gore, this is a love story.

From the moment the film starts, it pulled me into the story. It felt real to me...the people (Jeff Goldblum and Geena Davis) seemed real and they had real chemistry together. In real life they were a romantic couple so the onscreen chemistry is not surprising.

The film stays tightly focused on those two individuals and in that way feels very intimate. By introducing a third character, a love triangle is formed, with jealousy at it's center. That love triangle then drives the story, as each character's emotional reaction creates events that furthers the story along. It's brilliantly done and the best film I've seen from David Cronenberg.

With all of its sci fi horror and special effects, which for the 1980s were amazing and still look great, it's the humanity that really shines through this wonderful film.

1. An American Werewolf in London (#16)
2. The Devil's Rejects (#74)
5. Kill List (No Show)
7. The Fly (#10)
8. The Last House on the Left (#90)
9. Near Dark (No Show)
10. Deep Red (#66)
11. Possession (#33)
12. The Evil Dead (#13)
15. 28 Days Later (#23)
16. Carrie (#45)
20. The Omen (#35)
22. Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde (#84)
23. Hellraiser (#53)

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
Shame on me for drifting away for a large chunk of this, but glad to get back for the final Big Ten!

While I've seen it a few times, The Fly didn't make my list, though it is worthy of hitting the #10 spot.
Got to - finally - see Eraserhead in The 70's HoF

Eraserhead

. . . . . . . . . um, I am truly at a loss at how to start this. And please, understand, that isn't a bad thing, I just don't know if I have the words to describe or make sufficient notes on what I witnessed.

One silly thought that popped into my head from the get go was: if I'd seen this in my youth it definitely would have been one of those "you should be tripping when you see this," movies, and yes, even for some of it, I'm pretty sure I would have.

Because, let me tell ya, the tagline of being surreal scarcely covers the very cerebral, awkward dream world that Lynch drops you into without any direction or assistance. Which, actually works; since I don't know if I could've handled the more intimate reasoning for all of it beyond the general opinion about "fear of being a father".
There is something lurking beneath that belief that borders on something Lovecraft-like without going into another realm to seek out something "nameless", and is easily found within the mind of those in this movie. A spit saturated curve ball for the brain to recoil at while finding itself drawing closer and closer, and still be unable to truly grasp - or more appropriately, be relieved that most of it remains enigmatic.

And, again, this isn't a negative review, it is. . . well, watch it if you never have and you'll see how actual words begin to fail and you simply shudder trying to comprehend or explain things.

I do need to mention that the actors excel at their special anxiety, propelling you through this. Especially the lead actor.
I won't go too far in description and I'll omit the imagery of this film until more people view it so that I don't ruin the bizarre ride that this film is.
I'll just sit here at the end and nod sympathetically, "I know, I know," and ask if you're okay.

@Yam12 I say this with complete adoration: you sick, twisted, demented creature, you!
Thank you for nominating this so that I finally got to see it.

Films Watched: 51 out of 91
#2 Carrie #45)
#4 Ringu (#31)
#8 Dawn of the Dead (#8)
#9 Freaks (#55)
#11 Hellraiser (#53)
#13 The Evil Dead (#18
)

#16 Sinister (#76)
#17 The Omen (#35)
#19 An American Werewolf in London (#16)

#20 The Devil's Backbone (#89)
#21 Dr Jekyll & Mr Hyde (#84)
#22 Theatre of Blood (#103)
#23 Re-Animator (#88)
#25 28 Days Later (#23)

I used to like The Fly a lot but last time I rewatched it I wasn't really impressed. Didn't vote it (couldn't fit a single Cronenberg on my list and The Fly would barely make top-5 of his horrors).

Seen: 80/91

Welcome to the human race...
I remember attending a screening of The Fly about a decade ago and not liking it, though I've definitely warmed up to it since then. Not enough to place it on my list, but it wouldn't be far off.

Also good to see that Suspiria is going to fare better than I expected.