MoFo Top 100 Horror Movies: The List

→ in
Tools    

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
I knew that A Nightmare On Elm Street was going to make this countdown, so it was one of the first movies that I added to my watchlist for this countdown. I thought it was an interesting movie, but the ending was very confusing. I couldn't figure out where the dreams ended and reality started, (or vice versa). Even when I asked for help understanding the ending, it still made little sense to me.

I knew that A Nightmare On Elm Street was going to make this countdown, so it was one of the first movies that I added to my watchlist for this countdown. I thought it was an interesting movie, but the ending was very confusing. I couldn't figure out where the dreams ended and reality started, (or vice versa). Even when I asked for help understanding the ending, it still made little sense to me.
I remember that thread. I guess the ending did feel a little like Mulholland Dr.

The entire film is about the blending of dreams and reality.

Mentioned Inception (2010) before, that movie ends the same way, really, with the ambiguous spinning top. It's up to interpretation. Daring you to think for yourself, rather than be told by the film what to think.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
The entire film is about the blending of dreams and reality.

Mentioned Inception (2010) before, that movie ends the same way, really, with the ambiguous spinning top. It's up to interpretation. Daring you to think for yourself, rather than be told by the film what to think.

I was able to figure out the dreams vs. reality in most of the movie, but the ending just made no sense to me. It just seemed that it should have either been a dream or reality, but not both. (I have a very logical mind, so a lot of these creative "gray-area" concepts just don't make sense to me.)

I've seen Inception a couple of times, and that's also a confusing movie, but the difference (at least for me) is that Inception held my interest enough that I want to see it multiple times to (hopefully) understand it eventually. I just don't care enough about horror movies to want to watch Elm Street again to try to figure it out.

In that sense the matter isn't with the movie, but with your willingness to engage with it due to its genre.

Well, good morning everybody.

^ this was me waiting for the reveal last night.

Another certified classic from the best era ever the 80’s. Around here we grew up with Freddy, he’s almost like a superhero of horror villains along with his colleagues Jason and Michael.

Good to see one of the masters of horror Wes Craven get the recognition he deserves on this list. (Was expecting top ten tbh)

my list + predictions:
1. 1000%
2. 100%
3. 100%
4. A Nightmare on Elm Street (# 12)

5. 1000%
6. The Others (# 38)

7. 100%
8. Scream (# 18)

9. Bram Stoker's Dracula (# 50)

10. The Omen (# 35)

11. Maybe
12. Event Horizon (# 49)

13. Train to Busan (Did not place)

14. Get Out ( # 39)

15. *Fingers crossed..
16. Interview With The Vampire (# 44)

17. 28 Days Later… (# 23)

18. No chance
19. Not sure
20. Sure bet
21. Of course
22. Poltergeist (# 15)

23. The Babadook (# 63)

24. The Birds (# 41)

25. Not sure

I did not have A Nightmare on Elm Street on my list but it’s a good horror movie and a fun time. However, I did have Freddy on my list actually, as I figured I’d rather vote for one of the others knowing this would do just fine.

and btw, you are doing an excellent job with the list, @Nostromo87... I'm really enjoying the layout and especially the passionated write-ups and extra stuff you do. Great work.

I was able to figure out the dreams vs. reality in most of the movie, but the ending just made no sense to me. It just seemed that it should have either been a dream or reality, but not both. (I have a very logical mind, so a lot of these creative "gray-area" concepts just don't make sense to me.)

I've seen Inception a couple of times, and that's also a confusing movie, but the difference (at least for me) is that Inception held my interest enough that I want to see it multiple times to (hopefully) understand it eventually. I just don't care enough about horror movies to want to watch Elm Street again to try to figure it out.
Indeed, as Nostro said, the movie blends the two for an effective creepiness, but to me, the ending always kind of just seemed like a cheap way of ending on a high note. The classic horror ending that is meant to leave you with a jump or a scream right before the movie ends like so many movies before and after it... like Jason jumping out of the water in Friday the 13th for example.

So honestly I don't think it's meant to be read further into than that. It's just an "Evil never dies" kind of statement.

Welcome to the human race...
Regarding A Nightmare on Elm Street, see what I wrote about Scream but remove the reference to that film's particular brand of meta-horror.

A system of cells interlinked
A Nightmare on Elm Street was my #11. Creative and fun, everything works here except the lead actress, who is laughably bad. I couldn't put this in my top 10 for that reason alone. Still, I watch this at least once a year, usually around Halloween, and it is always fun to hang out with the kids from Elm Street. I also like the 3rd and 4th film in the franchise.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
This was my little bit on Wes Craven when he died. It gives my thoughts on A Nightmare on Elm Street. One of the very few films to scare me when I was younger.

I had it at # 11.

1. The Evil Dead (81)
4. Scream
5. The Evil Dead II
6. The Conjuring
7. The Cabin in the Woods
8. Shaun of the Dead
9. Return of the Living Dead
11. A Nightmare on Elm Street (84)
12. Dawn of the Dead (78)
14. The Descent
15. Dog Soldiers
17. Ginger Snaps
20. Get Out
22. The Ring
23. Saw
25. Stir of Echoes

Suspect's Reviews

Boldly going.
I've never been a fan of Nightmare on Elm Street. The jokes are just too cheesy, and I don't like it when a villain has virtually no limitations. I prefer Wishmaster (1997) myself, which admittedly also has cheesy jokes, but the djinn is confined by his ability to interpret the wishes of the Wisher and I find that empowers the victims enough that it lends credence to their ability to contend with the villain.

A Nightmare on Elm Street another classic horror flick that I seen first run at the theater. Robert Englund's Freddy Krueger made the film fun and a stand out. I liked Freddy better than the teens that got slashed. Not on my eclectic list, but glad to see it make the countdown.

Sorry I've been a bit quiet....

A Nightmare on Elm Street is one of two on my list where I just had to put it down, whether it's genuinely on my top 25 or not. I've tipped my hat to a few childhood favourites that I think are still important and iconic today. ANES is a good looking movie and Freddy is a fantastic villain. Fun, too. The other one hasn't shown up yet, but my is the only one my boyfriend said "you'd better have that on the list..." so that's his sole entry on my list. I'm pretty sure it's coming up, too.

Eraserhead (1977)
Runtime: 1 Hr 29 Mins
Production Company: American Film Institute
Distributed by Libra Films International
Box Office: $7,000,000
Fifteen Votes
274 Points (25, 25, 23, 21, 21, 21, 20, 19, 19, 18, 16, 14, 14, 11, 7)
High Voter: @TokeZa , @Guaporense

Sound by Alan R. Splet
Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	Eraserhead11.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	78.7 KB
ID:	53880  

I thought highly of Eraserhead the first and so far only time I’ve seen it, but didn’t really want to put it on my list after only one watch of such a complex and unique movie. Also, while it definitely has horror elements, I don’t think it jumped into my mind at first when compiling my list. But glad to see it on the list obviously.