MoFo Top 100 Horror Movies: The List

→ in
Tools    

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
Poltergeist is my #2. It's much better than Poutlrygeist and I don't want to argue about it.

An American Werewolf in London is one of those films that are considered classics but I just don't see why. Didn't like it as a kid, didn't like it later when I rewatched it and the last time I tried it on TV I didn't even finish it. The effects are good but John Landis in general isn't a good match for me. Poltergeist I've seen ages ago and don't remember that much. I think it was OK and perhaps worth a rewatch at some point.

Seen: 75/86

Poltergeist, I seen this first run at the theater, scared the hell out of me. Any movie seen on the big screen is going to have more impact than on the a TV set. I haven't seen it since. It well deserves a place on the countdown!....But knowing what happened to the little girl actress in real life kind of ruins it for me.

I don't have much to say about the last four films. I liked them all well enough, but none of them were on my list.I did consider Poltergeist, but ended up cutting it fairly early.

I probably should have rewatched An American Werewolf in London for the Countdown though. I haven't seen it in a really long time, and I think I'd like it a lot more now. I imagine I'd appreciate the comedic elements a lot more now, and those practical effects have always been impressive. I'll probably put off rewatching it for awhile though, so I don't feel too bad if I end up regretting not having it on my list haha.

Seen: 67/86
My List: 12

02. Re-Animator (1985) - #88
07. Cabin in the Woods (2011) - #52
09. The Innocents (1961) - #19
11. The Descent (2005) - #40
12. Saw (2004) - #32
13. The Conjuring (2013) - #29
16. Event Horizon (1997) - #49
17. The Wailing (2016) - #69
18. It Follows (2014) - #78
20. The Babadook (2014) - #63
21. Videodrome (1983) - #42
22. The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari (1920) - #25
25. The Void (2016) - DNP/1 Pointers List

I saw An American Werewolf in London and Poltergeist for the first time together at a drive-in. It must have been the summer of 82 so I would have been 11. It was me and 2 friends sitting on top of my parent's car with an endless supply of popcorn, one of those nights you never forget. I loved Poltergeist and I'm sure it holds up, but I haven't seen it in many years now. American Werewolf was an instant favorite and it remains so. I'm not one who thinks all the movies I love are masterpieces, but I consider that to be one of the best movies I've seen. It just has so much going for it. Add that to the nostalgia factor, including the fact that my mother was English and I visited London several times as a kid, and my #1 was never going to be in doubt. Also, early John Landis just works for me as The Blue Brothers, Animal House, and Trading Places are all long time big time favorites.

1. An American Werewolf in London (#16)
2. The Devil's Rejects (#74)
5. Kill List (No Show)
8. The Last House on the Left (#90)
9. Near Dark (No Show)
10. Deep Red (#66)
11. Possession (#33)
15. 28 Days Later (#23)
16. Carrie (#45)
20. The Omen (#35)
22. Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde (#84)
23. Hellraiser (#53)

"Poltergeist, it knows what scares you"

My # 22, super classic 80's must list horror flick for me.

my list:
6. The Others (# 38)

8. Scream (# 18)

9. Bram Stoker's Dracula (# 50)

10. The Omen (# 35)

12. Event Horizon (# 49)

13. Train to Busan (Did not place)

14. Get Out ( # 39)

16. Interview With The Vampire (# 44)

17. 28 Days Later… (# 23)

22. Poltergeist (# 15)

23. The Babadook (# 63)

24. The Birds (# 41)

I had An American Werewolf in London at #7. I've got four more films from my list that will be showing up, meaning seven won't make it. I suppose I could be surprised by one of them making it this high, but it would be a surprise.

My List:

1. The Omen (#35)
3. Night of the Living Dead (#17)
4. Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1956) (#70)
7. An American Werewolf in London (#16)
8. Nosferatu (#27)
10. The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari (#25)
11. Diabolique (#75)
15. Repulsion (#24)
16. Peeping Tom (#54)
17. Bride of Frankenstein (#68)
18. Antichrist (#82)
19. Don’t Look Now (#64)
20. Hausu (#57)
23. Vampyr (#65)
25. Of Unknown Origin (1-pointer)

Werewolf in London is crazy, No.20 on my list.

Poltergeist didn't do much for me.

1. The Blair Witch Project (1999)
3. Funny Games (1997)
4. The Witch (2015)
6. Shaun of the Dead
13. [REC]
14. Hereditary
15. Invasion of the body snatchers (1978)
16. Creep (2014)
17. The Wicker Man (1973)
18. Saw
20. An American Werewolf in London
21. Gremlins

Have the idea An American Werewolf In London's displayed at its best in a casual group party kind of viewing, especially on a cold fall/winter night, where the aptly balanced comedy can play to a crowd of varied perspectives, and the ferociously crafted werewolf lore/gore combo provides the horror smackdown. I did vote for a werewolf film that's deserving of a mention, though we're too far along for that particular one to land.

Welcome to the human race...
I re-watched both of these back-to-back in the lead-up to voting for this countdown...and neither of them made it. Of the two, I'd say An American Werewolf in London is the one I prefer more, though I've seen it three times now and still think of it as a film I like but not love (gave it 3/5 in a review a few years back - think I'd go as high as 4, which would've put it in contention for the back half of my list but it clearly didn't need my help). Poltergeist inspires a similar level of respect and admiration (if not necessarily genuine affection) on my part.

I've watched Scream a couple of times and, like every other Wes Craven film I've seen, I'm pretty meh about it. Meta-horror these nuts. .
I tend to view scream as being somewhat responsible for the shift of the entire horror genre(at least mainstream Hollywood) towards teen slashers and thus my decreased interest in it post millennium.

I tend to view scream as being somewhat responsible for the shift of the entire horror genre(at least mainstream Hollywood) towards teen slashers and thus my decreased interest in it post millennium.
Which post-millenium slashers are you referring to? It's not like there have been many major ones, and definitely not like the 1980s.

Welcome to the human race...
I'm guessing stuff like I Know What You Did Last Summer or Urban Legend - maybe the point is that there were a bunch of them riding Scream's coattails and none of them were good enough to be considered "major" (the same could arguably be said of the '80s - Sturgeon's Law and all that).

Boldly going.
Poltergeist is one of those movies that everybody talked about when it came out, but then it seemed to disappear. One thing however remained on the lips of the mainstream:
"They're here!"
It made my list and it definitely deserves to be on this one.

I can probably hazard a guess as to the top 5 now.

Well I definitely don't expect everyone to favor slashers. I don't think those movies which came after Scream represented a shift in the entire horror genre post-millenium, which is what moreorless said. They were more a phase. Though I'd have been satisfied if they had developed further beyond the ones you said and TAKEN OVER!!!

Which post-millenium slashers are you referring to? It's not like there have been many major ones, and definitely not like the 1980s.
I spose not all of them are classic slashers but something like say Final Destination is aiming along those lines at the teen market.

Night Of The Living Dead (1968), Nosferatu (1922), Carrie (1976), Videodrome (1983), and Saw (2004), those are my favorites so far, that I did not vote for, which made it on. Wish we could've seen an @cricket presentation of his top film, which reminds me to mention- For the second film of today, we'll have a new Entertainer take over.

Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	Nosft.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	60.6 KB
ID:	53844   Click image for larger version

Name:	TrapSaw.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	13.9 KB
ID:	53845   Click image for larger version

Name:	NLivingD.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	17.1 KB
ID:	53846   Click image for larger version

Name:	vmpira.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	12.5 KB
ID:	53847  

Let The Right One In (2008)
Runtime: 1 Hr 54 Mins
Production Company: EFTI
Distributed by Sandrew Metronome
Production Budget: 29 Million kr ($4.5 Million)
Box Office: $11,200,000
Eighteen Votes
232 Points (24, 24, 23, 21, 19, 18, 14, 14, 14, 13, 11, 11, 8, 7, 6, 3, 1, 1)
High Voter: @pahaK , @Kaplan
Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	Let The Right One In 14.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	391.5 KB
ID:	53849