MoFo Top 100 Horror Movies: The List

→ in
Tools    

Disguised beneath the cunningly virginal title and Victorian era setting featured in The Innocents, a deeper story hides about warnings against intimate repression, containing a tricky reversal in which the spirit-possessed children manipulate, harass, and rape the mind of the naive governess, Miss Giddens (Deborah Kerr). About a time when cultural pressure mandated a strict code of etiquette which led to an outward projection of moral purity publicly, while privately this intimate repression caused atrocious consequences in spite of its skin-deep respectability. That doesn't detract from the film, but rather makes it a clever, ambiguous, and layered story and an interesting movie to look at what it's REALLY ABOUT, though it does fail the I'd want to have its movie poster on my wall test. Dawn Of The Dead's to my liking, recall it feeling sort of overlong while viewing, while also being a crowd-pleasing financial success. When the motorcycle gang shows up one night at the mall, that part's super enjoyable, as well as the well-placed humor, zombie splatter, fully on-point music by Goblin, and everything with Roger (Scott Reiniger) and Peter (Ken Foree) the locked-and-loaded SWAT team makes for compelling buddy-film material. While they both deserve their placements, I voted for neither. Could've voted for Dawn Of The Dead as I considered it closely with lots of contenders.

Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	TheInnocents.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	102.0 KB
ID:	53794   Click image for larger version

Name:	dawnofthedd78.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	151.9 KB
ID:	53795  

When the motorcycle gang shows up one night at the mall, that part's super enjoyable,
See, as a kid (and even now I suppose though I enjoy it more now) this bit always annoys me lol. They're all having a nice time and they're safe and then the hooligans show up and **** everything up. Ruins my comfort.

Stoopid hoomans.

Welcome to the human race...
Eh, I would argue that

WARNING: "Dawn of the Dead (1978 and 2004)" spoilers below
the "nice time" pretty much stops once Roger gets infected and dies. Steven's obsession with keeping the television on when the emergency broadcasts have long since stopped, Fran rejecting his marriage proposal because "it wouldn't be real", Peter angrily playing tennis against a wall...that is what really hit me when I re-watched it earlier this year. It's really easy to think of this as a "fun" watch compared to the likes of Night or Day as it appeals to the kind of escapist/survivalist fantasy that people have about making their own "zombie plans" (even now, I keep thinking about years-old IMDb message board discussions about what users would have done "right" in this scenario) but the genius is in how the film turns that kind of shallow live-in-a-shopping-mall fantasy in on itself (especially when an extremely possessive Steven tries to confront the bikers and not only pays for it with his life but effectively ruins it for the others anyway). It's why the remake's decision to have its third act revolve around the survivors escaping the mall instead of defending it has always rung a little false to me even as it feels like a necessary distinction between the two versions.

Will have to find a way to curb myself from throwing WAY TOO MUCH MATERIAL at this film, wrote a big research paper about it for a film-minor class focusing on post-modern and hallucinatory themes in 1990s Hollywood. Really into the Gale Weathers vs. Sidney Prescott SuperBitch matchup, and how Sidney (Neve Campbell, featured 1st in the thread's opening theater image) is an entirely mixed up mess whose mother was murdered, but Sidney got the killer wrong and testified to send the innocent Cotton Weary to Death Row, causing her to be stalked by cheesy tabloid journalist Gale Weathers (Courtney Cox) who only cares about her book sales. On top of that, her father and boyfriend Billy (Skeet Ulrich) are the top two suspects for the recent killings of Drew Barrymore and HER letter-jacket-wearing football player boyfriend Steve. If I post the entire research paper I wrote, throw something at me. Didn't mention Wes Craven or the distinctive VILLAIN of the movies yet, AHHHH!

Scream (1996)
Runtime: 1 Hr 51 Mins
Production Company: Woods Entertainment
Distributed by Dimension Films
Production Budget: $14,000,000
Box Office: $173,000,000
Seventeen Votes
202 Points (25, 24, 22, 21, 18, 18, 16, 11, 8, 8, 8, 8, 6, 4, 3, 1, 1)
High Voter: @Tugg

NC-17 by Marco Beltrami
Attachments

Name:	Scream 18.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	101.9 KB
ID:	53801  

Well of course.

Scream gotta be on the list, however, I did not vote for it. But it's a good film and a lot of fun. I don't love it but I find it to be a fun time...

Scream was my #8. The best movie of Wes Craven imo and Matthew Lillard is hilarious. Quotable and badass flick.

Reproduced its budget 263x's in ticket sales in 1968, BIG .

Night Of The Living Dead (1968)
Runtime: 1 Hr 36 Mins
Production Company: Image Ten
Distributed by Continental Distributing
Production Budget: $114,000
Box Office: $30,000,000
Eighteen Votes
202 Points (23, 20, 19, 19, 15, 14, 14, 11, 11, 10, 10, 9, 7, 5, 5, 4, 3, 3)
High Voter: @Kaplan

They're Coming To Get You Barbra,
Horror Montage by James Van Fleet
Attachments

Name:	Night Of The Living Dead 17.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	69.1 KB
ID:	53807  

That's the cellar, it's the safest place!

What a chump that guy was, man

Saw Scream when it was quite new and didn't like it at all. I've tried to rewatch it from TV couple of times but never managed to finish those. Surely not my kind of film. Night of the Living Dead is probably the best zombie film by Romero. For me it's good but definitely not great. Didn't vote either.

Seen: 73/84

The most pressing matter about Scream drives through in its environment in which the film's main characters have seen all the slasher films, in a way that this pop culture knowledge within the film becomes a matter of life and death. A crucial distinction in the resurrection of the Late-Nineties Teen Slasher Film knowing that the cynical, young, new 1990s teenage audience believed very sincerely that they were smarter than the movies they see. Scream also has a life outside the movies themselves, everyone knows what it is, can recognize the mask on Halloween, and the dialogue within the film encourages lively appreciation for Great Horror Films. It's directed by Wes Craven, a legend of horror who kept slashers vital more than any successful director throughout his life. He's the man. While I don't find Scream (1996) to be better than his film in his prior 80s slasher franchise he created, in a lot of ways, Scream ends up a whole lot more fresh and contemporary by comparison. The way the media clustereffs everything up constantly for ratings, along with modern communication methods exploited by the killer Ghostface, which develops accordingly with sequels, especially the most recent one from 2011. Accept this will be casually read, but throw knives at me and I'll definitely elaborate on my love for all things SCREAM. I put a sequel way ahead of this one too. Wearing the Ghostface mask was my favorite Halloween costume when I donned the mask in 1997 around the time the originals came out to autumn festivals around where the movies were actually filmed (Atlanta). What's YOUR favorite scary movie! Throw knives at me.

Nostromo Top 25 Horror Flicks

24. Deep Red (1975)
23. SCREAM (1996)
14. Zombieland (2009)
13. Friday The 13th Part III (1982)
11. Dr Jekyll And Mr Hyde (1931)
2. Friday The 13th (1980)

YOUTH OF AMERICA

Attachments

Name:	BillyLoomis.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	300.4 KB
ID:	53808   Click image for larger version

Name:	Scream 96 Poster.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	225.8 KB
ID:	53809  

Night of the Living Dead was my #12. Great one!

Here’s a review I did back when I saw it for the first time...
MovieMeditation presents...
HIS FILM DIARY 2015
total movie count ........... viewing day count
225 .......................... 259

September 16th

—— 1968 ——
NIGHT
OF THE
LIVING
DEAD

—— horror ——

"They are coming to get you, Barbra...
there's one of them now!"

There will be spoilers in the last paragraph
It feels like it took me an entire lifetime to finally watch this film and I have put it off for a painfully long time; mainly because it seemed to be an extremely low budget and laughable zombie flick, which merely had its fame because of the fortune of later genre flicks that this one laid ground to. But I can promise you, even tough my expectations were put to rest, my excitement quickly rose up from a flat-lined state to full-blown fearsome fun! I judged this movie masterpiece before I knew that the very same movie masterpiece was actually judging me right back. Well, at least the society was put to the test amongst the unrest in this film, holding a strong social commentary and ending with a strong commanding impact that completely shook me and took me by major surprise…

It has been a long time since my perception of something changed as quickly as it did with ‘Night of the Living Dead’, but changed it certainly did. What worried me during the beginning ended up proving just how wrong I was later on, and once I saw things in retrospect and realized how dumb I had been, it also made me see things in a completely different way. But all this changed for me rather late in the movie, because though I found it exciting enough on its own, it wasn’t until the television broadcasts came that I started to see something socially important and sharply significant within the period of which this film was made. There was so much going on when this film was made and released, both politically and ethically, and with the casting of a black man and watching him carry out violence and vengeance in a dominating and demanding role must have left audiences restless in the cinema seats. I read somewhere that the casting of a black man was without decisive social or moral intentions, but whether meant to mess with our minds and body or not, we still eat it all up by the end of it. At least I did.

And even despite of wanting to depart from details that will ultimately spill the guts for this film, I simply cannot capture the life in this picture or the life within me, without talking and walking you through the terrifying ending that evidently enforced this terrific cinematic experience even further. Once all hell breaks loose and the main characters start to die, while the walking dead die all over again, I was a little surprised though happy to see the black man still fighting his way through hell on earth, alive and well. He survives the night of the living dead and starts to hear what is probably the police or something along those lines coming to the rescue up stairs. He walks up the stairs, looks out the window and all of a sudden he falls dead to the ground from a bullet to the brain; a bullet fired by the many white men outside, mistaking him for a remaining zombie. The parallels to the time, place and historical significance is obvious whether intended or not and the very impact of it is unmistakably obvious – even more so, once Ben’s dead body ends up being burned on a bonfire together with the fallen zombies… and looking at that closing montage completely out of context, a horror zombie movie is definitely not the first thing that comes to mind… a living nightmare of terrifying realities, realized inside a little low budget zombie flick. Now that’s powerful...

I had the high vote for Night of the Living Dead, all the way at #3. It's far and away my favorite zombie movie, and not just because it set the standard or because it pushed the boundaries of what you could get away with in a horror film, but because it's still a powerful, entertaining, and scary film. The ending is genuinely tragic on multiple levels, while making a social statement that never feels heavy handed.

Personally I think it should have been higher on the list, top 10, but I guess with the sheer number of zombie movies, people spread their votes around. But Night of the Living Dead is still the best in my mind.

My List:

1. The Omen (#35)
3. Night of the Living Dead (#17)
4. Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1956) (#70)
8. Nosferatu (#27)
10. The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari (#25)
11. Diabolique (#75)
15. Repulsion (#24)
16. Peeping Tom (#54)
17. Bride of Frankenstein (#68)
18. Antichrist (#82)
19. Don’t Look Now (#64)
20. Hausu (#57)
23. Vampyr (#65)
25. Of Unknown Origin (1-pointer)

Both Scream and Night of the Living Dead were on my list, with Night of the Living Dead being my highest vote yet.

7. Night of the Living Dead
8. Nosferatu (original)
11. The Bride of Frankenstein
12. Peeping Tom
15. The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari
16. Get Out
19. Saw
20. Scream
21. Freaks
22. A Quiet Place
23. Repulsion
24. The Babadook
25. The Invisible Man

Along with King Kong and Wizard of Oz, The Night of the Living Dead is one of the first movies I can remember watching. I watched it many times, but probably not since I was 10. I know it's great and I should have watched it again for this countdown.

Scream is the first movie my wife and I saw together at the cinema as we met in late 1996. It was the Harvard Square Cinema for the midnight showing, We were both lit up and caused a scene. The police came and our wild night was just beginning. When I watched it again for this countdown, it was like the first time. It's quite a bit of fun but was not a contender for my list.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
I’m kind of shocked that A particular movie on my list won’t make it. If it does I’ll be hella surprised.

I guess little love for 80’s vampire movies.

If it makes you feel any better, I had two 80’s vampire movies on my list. (Which is probably why they won't make the countdown. )

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
I watched Scream for this countdown, and it was even on my list for a while, until it got pushed off when I had to cut down my list. It was the only slasher film that I liked enough to not only consider for my list, but I even watched the sequel, Scream 2. I liked the way it played off other slasher movies, and was able to poke fun at itself and the slasher genre.

Night Of The Living Dead was another movie that was temporarily on my list. It's one of the best zombie movies that I watched, but it just got pushed off my list in the final round of cuts.