MoFo Top 100 Horror Movies: The List

→ in
Tools    

I hoped the 78 Bodysnatchers might be a little higher than that personally up there with the big boys but I spose its never quite had the modern following of say Carpenters Thing remake.

I had Nosferatu at #8. It's amazing how incredibly creepy and interesting and visual this movie still is almost a hundred years later. In my eyes it the vampire movie. I have a copy of Herzog's version but I still have never seen it. I have seen Shadow of the Vampire, which is a highly fictionalized retelling of the making of Nosferatu, and I would recommend it.

I like The Invasion of the Body Snatchers quite a bit, but I love the original much more, and so it didn't make my list.

My List:

1. The Omen (#35)
4. Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1956) (#70)
8. Nosferatu (#27)
11. Diabolique (#75)
16. Peeping Tom (#54)
17. Bride of Frankenstein (#68)
18. Antichrist (#82)
19. Don’t Look Now (#64)
20. Hausu (#57)
23. Vampyr (#65)
25. Of Unknown Origin (1-pointer)

I liked but didn't love Nosferatu (1922) It was a lost film until luckily a few prints were found:

The oldest surviving vampire film is the classic German silent, Nosferatu. Which is an unauthorized silent film, based very closely on the famous novel by Bram Stroker, Dracula. Bram Stoker's widow filled a legal suit against the makers of Nosferatu, which she won. This resulted in an agreement that all the negatives and prints of the film would be destroyed. And they were destroyed too...except a few prints luckily survived in a couple foreign countries. In 1994 the surviving prints were restored and the film came to life once more. CR

Particularly worn out today as I'm on a stretch of consecutive work nights. Gonna get some rest, and we'll get #25-26 up tomorrow, Monday, April 29th.

Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	sta awake.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	212.2 KB
ID:	53646  

Unregistered User
The Conjuring made my list at number 19. I loved it on first viewing when originally came out. Watched it again recently and still holds up really well. Invasion of the Body Snatchers and Nosferatu are both great films that I didn't pick, the latter almost made my list but just missed out. I actually watched it and Cabinet or Dr Caligari as a double bill last week in Paris.

Woody Allen is a pedophille
My List so Far:

6. Eyes Without a Face (#46)
7. The Invisible Man (#72)
8. The Skin I Live In (#80)
11. Get Out (#39)
13. Saw (#32)
15. The House That Jack Built (#56)
20. Hereditary (#99)
23. The Wicker Man (#37)
24. Videodrome (#42)

Seen: 16/74

Also there is one movie that I would have put at #2 but it didn't show up on Letterboxd when I sorted by "horror" so it isn't on my list.

Ash and his fiance drive out into the woods where they find a book hatched out of HP Lovecraft literature called the Necronomicon Ex Mortis, and it transforms Ash's fiance into giggling chainsaw fodder. The freshly arisen spirits in the woods conspire against Bruce Campbell, who's emerged as a sort of John Wayne wise-crackin' B-horror movie star. He's joined by the translator's daughter, and two hillbilly locals from town who belong right alongside the idiots who try to protect the house in George A. Romero's original Night Of The Living Dead. Rusty old garden tools, double-barrel shotgun, workshed, and Ernest Hemingway.

Evil Dead 2 (1987)
Runtime: 1 Hr 24 Mins
Production Company: Don Nafia (as Rosebud Releasing)
Distributed by Embassy Communications
Production Budget: $3,600,000
Box Office: $5,900,000
Eleven Votes
144 Points (24, 23, 21, 20, 18, 12, 8, 6, 5, 4, 3)
High Voter: @KeyserCorleone

Evil Dead 2 Music Video
Credit to YouTube's the bibifiles
Attachments

Name:	EvilDead2 26.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	74.8 KB
ID:	53669  

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
I hope all make it. It would be a shame if Army of Darkness did and not the original Evil Dead. This could be the one and only trilogy where all the films make it.

Suspect's Reviews

The Cabinet Of Dr Caligari (1920)
Runtime: 1 Hr 14 Mins
Distributed by Decla-Bioscop
Fourteen Votes
149 Points (24, 19, 18, 17, 16, 11, 9, 8, 8, 6, 6, 4, 2, 1)
High Voter: @Sunomis
Attachments

Name:	The Cabinet Of Dr Caligari 25.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	387.4 KB
ID:	53670  

I'm the high voter? Cool but weird, because while I love the movie, I don't really think I love it more than anyone here. Btw, just going to point this out again: I only watch excessive violence if it's picking fun or really campy, just like the first two Evil Dead movies and Braindead / Dead Alive.

Has Let the Right One In gotten on the list yet? That's my favorite vampire movie, with my second being on the list: Bram Stoker's Dracula.

Caligari just barely made five stars. I thought the "first" climax was very underwhelming. The very end rocked, though.

Looks like I was wrong and I'm glad for it! The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari is the silent film I was referring to in my last post. I don't find it the least bit frightening, but I love the story and the look of the film (which was an obvious inspiration for Tim Burton's style). It's been a favorite of mine ever since I first watched it many years ago. Couldn't tell you how many times I've seen it since. It was my #7.

I considered voting for Evil Dead 2 but ultimately I'm an Army of Darkness fan, not an Evil Dead fan.

My Ballot:
2) Army of Darkness (#77)
3) Gremlins (#51)
4) The Skin I Live In (#80)
7) The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari (#25)
8) Freaks (#55)
9) Perfect Blue (#36)
10) The Ring (#30)
11) The Others (#38)
12) Interview With the Vampire (#44)
14 Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1978) (#28)
15) Onibaba (#73)
25) Earthlings (1 pointers list)

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
I love The Cabinet Of Dr Caligari, it's truly a great horror film.

I did not put it on my list as I knew people here liked it and it would have no problem making it.

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
The Cabinet of Doctor Caligari was one I only watched recently, and I was really impressed with the design and the way the story panned out. I feel like a lot of the early horror films like Frankenstein and Dracula sort of lacking in some of the weirdness and moral complexity of the books, but this film really goes for it. I had it at #18

I loved Evil Dead 2 when I saw it at the movies, and I loved it when I watched it a few more times in the 80's. The last time I watched it I didn't care much for it. It's not my type anymore.

Caligari is terrific but I did not vote for it.

The Cabinet was my 15.

8. Nosferatu
11. The Bride of Frankenstein
12. Peeping Tom
15. The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari
16. Get Out
19. Saw
21. Freaks
22. A Quiet Place
24. The Babadook
25. The Invisible Man

Love Invasion of the body Snatchers, one of the best endings in film history.

Haven't seen Evil Dead 2 in a while so it would be abit unfair to put it on the list, remember it being badass though.

1. The Blair Witch Project (1999)
4. The Witch (2015)
13. [REC]
14. Hereditary
15. Invasion of the body snatchers (1978)
16. Creep (2014)
17. The Wicker Man (1973)
18. Saw
21. Gremlins

Rewatched Evil Dead 2 not too long ago and didn't like it. Worst of the series in my opinion. Caligari is again one of the best silent films I've seen but that's not enough for me to vote it. Rather enjoyed it nonetheless.

Seen: 65/76

While I didn’t vote for either, I really like both of them. Evil Dead 2 was on my Top 50 horror list and I’ve seen Caligari two or three times and really find it to be a good film for its time. It still works extremely well today.

Glad to see both here.