Tools    

Invasion Of The Body Snatchers (1978)
Runtime: 1 Hr 55 Mins
Production Company: Solofilm
Distributed by United Artists
Production Budget: $3,500,000
Box Office: $24,900,000
Eleven Votes
136 Points (25, 20, 19, 18, 15, 12, 11, 6, 4, 4, 2)
High Voter: @Citizen Rules
Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	Invasion Of The Body Snatchers 28.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	341.2 KB
ID:	53632  

Nosferatu (1922)
Runtime: 1 Hr 34 Mins
Production Company: Prana Film
Distributed by Film Arts Guild
Nine Votes
138 Points (20, 19, 19, 18, 18, 14, 13, 10, 7)
High Voter: @Yoda
Attachments

Name:	Nosferatu 27.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	73.5 KB
ID:	53633  

Hooked by the images of 1978 remake of Invasion Of The Body Snatchers, @Citizen Rules top film, featuring an eyepopping cast including Leonard Nimoy, Donald Sutherland, Veronica Cartwright, and Jeff Goldblum, eerie hands-on effects, and a retro 70s spirit. I'd like to see it now.

German expressionist Nosferatu, eine Symphonie des Grauens (1922) could be the best haunting classic horror film, which unveils the frightful Count Orlok. Undeniably worth a screening at the MoFo Horror House.

Count Orlok: Is this your wife? What a lovely throat!
Horseman: We will go no further. Here begins the land of phantoms.

Attachments

Name:	nosf2.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	8.8 KB
ID:	53634   Click image for larger version

Name:	nosf3.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	12.8 KB
ID:	53635   Click image for larger version

Name:	Nosf4.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	125.7 KB
ID:	53636  

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
Forty years ago when I saw this on the humongous Big Newport screen, I just wasn't impressed. I'm not sure what my problem was. I was never that big a fan of the original, true, but I was having a hard time empathisizing any more with the lead characters than I did with the pod people. Four decades and several viewings later, I can safely say I was full of it back then. This film may actually qualify to me as the ultimate paranoid thriller. Everything is in place. The shiny photography, the dark shadows, the killer sound effects, the scary music (actually, I'd probably tone down some of the music because it's the quietest parts which are the scariest). I like the performances and the black humor, as well as just the weird touches, like Robert Duvall's "priest" swinging in a children's playground.

To me, this is Kaufman's first full-blown success, and if he was ahead of me in the power curve, at least I could see it just a short while later. I thought he went even more into paranoia and dark comedy with his next film, The Wanderers, but that's for another post. This film is pretty-much textbook, as far as basically showing you what's happening, then slowly allowing only one character (Brooke Adorms) to know about it. Nobody believes her, but eventually a group of three others (Donald Sutherland, Jeff Goldblum, Veronica Cartwright) are forced to believe her because they cannot deny their own eyes, no matter how much pop psychiatrist Leonard Nimoy tries to rationalize away everything "paranoid". That's enough for now, but be sure to watch for Sutherland's friend's dog near the end.
Nosferatu is probably the best silent horror film I've seen and Max Schreck is a super freak.
My List
1. Gremlins
9. Altered Siates
16. Wait Until Dark
17. Carrie
18. The Omen
24. Invasion of the Body Snatchers ('78)
25. Diabolique

Two good movies I didn't vote for. I haven't seen Nosferatu in a few years but it was one of the first DVDs I bought. Body Snatchers is another I watched at an early age as I was 7 when I saw it at the cinema. Not as damaging as some others but it still left a mark.

You mean me? Kei's cousin?
^Huh. Exactly how old I was when I saw Invasion of the Body Snatchers. Funny thing is, I haven't seen it since.

I watched Invasion of the Body Snatchers in preparation for the MoFo 70s Countdown and really enjoyed it. A nice combination of the disturbing and the silly made a for a very entertaining movie. I ranked it at #14.

I watched Nosferatu many years back when I was exploring the silent era. I thought it was okay, but wasn't impressed enough to give it a vote. There was another film from that era that did make my ballot, but I doubt it'll make the cut.

My Ballot:
2) Army of Darkness (#77)
3) Gremlins (#51)
4) The Skin I Live In (#80)
8) Freaks (#55)
9) Perfect Blue (#36)
10) The Ring (#30)
11) The Others (#38)
12) Interview With the Vampire (#44)
14 Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1978) (#28)
15) Onibaba (#73)
25) Earthlings (1 pointers list)

Nosferatu is the first in my top ten. I loved it.

8. Nosferatu
11. Bride of Frankenstein
12. Peeping Tom
16. Get Out
19. Saw
21. Freaks
22. A Quiet Place
24. The Babadook
25. The Invisible Man

I've seen Invasion of the Body Snatchers as a kid so my memories are quite scarce. It wasn't a favorite back then but admittedly I was more into gory horrors at that age. Definitely should rewatch. Nosferatu is among the better silent films but that's only enough to put it somewhere on the border of OK and good. There are some really nice images on it though.

Seen: 63/74

Welcome to the human race...
Two more good movies I didn't vote for. I would say that I'd prefer the '78 Snatchers to the '56 one, but also the '79 Nosferatu to the '22 one (though I admit I'm probably due to revisit the latter).

Marks another one for me.
I've always found the 78' version of Body Snatchers far superior to the 1956 version, and better than all the other versions since.
Recently it became one of my default DVDs when nothing is on telly.

01. The Babadook (2014) - 63rd
02. Hellraiser (1987) - 53rd
03. The Cabin In The Woods (2012) - 52nd
04. Dog Soldiers (2002) - 94th
11. Zombieland (2009) - 83rd
14. The Fog (1980) - DNP, 110th
15. Carrie (1976) - 45th
18. A Quiet Place (2018) - 61st
22. Invasion Of The Body Snatchers (1978) - 28th
25. Critters (1986) - 1 Pointers List

I like the performances and the black humor, as well as just the weird touches, like Robert Duvall's "priest" swinging in a children's playground.

The story behind that was Duvall was in the area and Kaufman asked him to do the cameo as a bit of fun.
Duvall said yes, and flatly refused any payment... so Kaufman bought him an expensive coat instead

Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1978)....YES! This was #1 on my ballot. Very few films IMO are perfect but Invasion of the Body Snatchers is.

My review from the Sci-Fi Horror HoF:

Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1978)
Director: Philip Kaufman

In San Francisco, four people discover that everyone in the city is being replaced with a duplicate that emerges from an alien plant pod

Wholly smokes! This movie rocks! It's miles ahead of most Sci Fi flicks. It's miles ahead of most films period!...I knew right away that this was made by a skilled director, a real perfectionist, who cared to do it right. Each scene is a thing of beauty: the sets are richly detailed and well dressed out. This was shot inside real buildings in San Francisco, no fakey Hollywood sets here. When you see a room, it looks real because it is.

There are many, many fine details in the background that help to create realism and that's really important in sci fi. Some of those details create atmosphere too. And this movie is dripping in atmosphere.

Take a look at that still shot of Donald Sutherland from the movie. Look at how the oddly shaped trees adds to the creepiness as does the low camera angle. This film is stacked full of such shots.

The camera work is perfection. The way they do off centered and tilted shots gives a real sense of foreboding...as does the film noir style lighting in some of the darker interior shots.

The script is intelligent too. The actors are so in-tuned to what they are doing that they seem like real people, which makes this even more creepy.

The cast is a dream cast of vibrant, intense actors each who brings his or her own specialty to the mix.

What a great Sci Fi Horror flick!
+

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
I haven't seen The Ring, but I saw the trailer on an old VHS tape.

The Conjuring was okay, but it didn't make my list.

The 1978 version of Invasion Of The Body Snatchers is a very good movie, but it's just a bit too creepy for me. I prefer the 1956 version.

I think I saw the 1922 version of Nosferatu many years ago, but it's been so long that I don't remember much about it, and I didn't get a chance to rewatch it for this countdown.

Voted for The Birds, it’s actually my #27, but forgot two other horror favs when I sent in my list,
^ Invasion Of The Body Snatchers 1978, is one I forgot when listing, so consider it my #24. Donald Sutherland is great in it and I just love Brooke Adams, also prefer the '78 to the '56 one.

Nosferatu is a classic that has been on my watchlist for the longest time along with Metropolis and Amadeus.