MoFo Top 100 Horror Movies: The List

→ in
Tools    

Welcome to the human race...
I read the plot to Saw. It looked like a good plot, but I don't watch anything with excessive blood and gore unless it's played for an obvious comedic effect.
Your top 10 would suggest otherwise - for all its reputation as the progenitor of an entire genre of "sadistic" horror, it's not quite as nasty as you'd think (and it's my understanding that the sequels are far worse in that regard) but I guess everyone has different levels of tolerance for this kind of thing.

In any case, these were both middling-to-okay movies (Saw the former, Ringu the latter) and so I didn't vote for them.

I prefer the Ring remake (largely because of the nice cinematography), but they’re both pretty good from what I remember.

I’m lukewarm on Saw, but like the style in the first. Feels kind of b-movie-ish.

I like Perfect Blue, The Others, Get Out, Cabin in the Woods, The Birds, Blair Witch, and The Descent. I should watch The Wicker Man again before rendering an up to date judgment.

The Omen, Haunting, Possession, and Videodrome are great. I’m surprised I didn’t put Videodrome on my list; best Cronenberg possibly. It was probably 26.

I didn’t consider Martyrs. Not too enjoyable, but I really admire it for being effective and disturbing. That ending has etched a place in my mind.

Herzog’s Nosferatu was one of my tops. I love the bizarre yet realistic atmosphere of Herzog’s early movies; I can only wish that it was utilized in some more supernatural/folkloric stories.

Love Bram Stoker’s Dracula too. It feels pretty experimental for a big budget movie. Music and sets are on point.

Unregistered User
I had Saw at number 24 on my list and own this cool looking boxset

I still wouldn't call myself the hugest fan of it but find them fun to watch, the early ones anyway, and for pure nostalgic reasons had to include it. I remember the twist blowing my mind at the time!

Ringu was good but never considered for my list.

To Present #30 and the first film of the day, awaiting an appearance from one of the former Countdown Hosts! Who's it gonna be?

Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	bloodofdracula1.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	6.0 KB
ID:	53610  

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
Thank you Nostro for allowing me to present this token of horror gratitude to Mofoland. And a big thank you to Yoda who gave this film his full attention with the maximum number of points. I unfortunately didn't have a lot of time on my hands for a write up or anything but I will say this film scared the Dickens out of me originally seeing it in the theater with the first legitimate girlfriend I ever had. Luckily that experience didn't ruin the way I felt about the film. Truly one of the better theater watching experiences I've had (maybe it wasn't just the movie?). And honestly who doesn't love Naomi Watts in that lead role? Alas, here's number 30 and in my personal top 100:

The Ring (2002)

Runtime: 1 Hr 55 Mins
Production Company: BenderSpink
Distributed by DreamWorks Pictures
Production Budget: $48,000,000
Box Office: $249,300,000
Eleven Votes
134 Points (25, 23, 16, 15, 15, 14, 9, 7, 4, 4, 2)
High Voter: @Yoda

Yeah, The Ring was my #1, and the logic is really simple: no film has ever scared me more. I decided to prioritize that over any concerns about craft, influence, originality, whatever.

The Ring actually made me, in the theater, instinctively pull my legs up on to my chair. It made it hard to sleep the next few nights, it made me scared of TVs I could hear from other rooms, and it made me particularly scared for a brief period a week after I'd seen it. It made me scared enough that I'd get scared just scrolling through threads or by GIFs or images from it.

I'm at the point where I can see that image in the post above and not be freaked out (thanks to Scary Movie 3 for taking the air out of the scare a little), but for a year or two after seeing it I actively avoided any images from the film because they'd make me cringe and look over my shoulder and just be generally unsettled for awhile after seeing them.

The whole film is unsettling. The film within a film is unsettling. The hair, the walking toward the camera. But really, none of it holds a candle to the moment she crawls out of that screen. That is one of the first things I think of, when I think of the word horror.

The Ring is the scariest movie I've ever seen.

The first time I saw The Ring was at the theater. I have never been a big horror fan but I have friends who are and no doubt seeing it was their idea. I certainly didn’t expect to like it but found it very unsettling and the image of the girl crawling out from the tv was super creepy. I ended up buying the dvd and it’s among the few pure horror films I own. I had it at #10.

My Ballot:
2) Army of Darkness (#77)
3) Gremlins (#51)
4) The Skin I Live In (#80)
8) Freaks (#55)
9) Perfect Blue (#36)
10) The Ring (#30)
11) The Others (#38)
12) Interview With the Vampire (#44)
15) Onibaba (#73)
25) Earthlings (1 pointers list)

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
It was my number 3, but legitimately made me see horror as quite a production to make. It's a very difficult genre to succeed at but this film and Verbinski did just that.

Huh. I'd consider The Ring slightly inferior to its source material (which, as noted earlier, I considered okay).

Maybe, but I saw the remake first. What I've seen of the original seems a little rougher, at least in terms of overall production quality, but who knows what I'd have thought if I saw them the other way 'round.

Ringu and The Ring were actually tied, at 134 points, with the remake on top thanks to having more voters. Interesting to see them end up right next to each other. Movies have been very close points-wise the whole list, with lots of tie-breakers.

I saw The Ring (2002) in theaters when it was new as well, and I recall it being very eventful as far as crowd interaction. Lots of "Don't go in the closet. OH SH* SHE WENT IN THE CLOSET" freak outs. That's how movie viewings were in my town growing up, lots of chatter and crowd spirit. For this movie, I was sitting with a friend, then when the girl crawled out of the TV, simultaneously *RIGHT THEN* the random woman sitting on the other side of me GRABBED my arm out of sudden fright, which had been resting on the armchair. Recall it being a very unnerving movie as well, and that incident was probably the most memorable theater experience I've had... Along with seeing Barbershop 2: Back In Business (2004) with a few friends and laughing at jokes that made the rest of the entire movie theater glare at us. Overall, I recall watching movies in theaters being really interactional when movies like Saw (2004) and The Ring (2002) were at the box office.

My theatre experience for The Ring was uneventful, but I do have a story from when I rewatched it with a friend. It involves me justifiably getting hit in the face.

My friend (we'll call her T) wasn't really into horror films, but she wanted to watch The Ring, so we rented it out when she was over. The tv in my room didn't have cable hooked up to it, and I knew from past experience if I tried to change the input from the dvd player to cable, it had a white static screen with a slight buzzing sound. You can probably imagine where this is going.

T was practically terrified throughout the film. It completely unnerved her. So when the film was over, and she thought things were finally safe, I changed the input settings on the tv. She turned a sickly white. I decided to go one step further, and mimicked that raspy, uneven groan sound (I think it might be called a death rattle?) you always hear from spirits in these kinds of films. I can do a pretty spot on recreation of it.

She hit me when she realized it was a joke. I deserved it.

Maybe, but I saw the remake first. What I've seen of the original seems a little rougher, at least in terms of overall production quality, but who knows what I'd have thought if I saw them the other way 'round.
Yeah, I saw the original first and that had the effect of making the remake seem like a passable recreation (albeit one that is definitely aided by Verbinski's capably creepy direction, which I may have appreciated more in A Cure for Wellness). Maybe I'm just not that fussed about the concept and/or execution in either scenario anyway.

My List:

4. The Wicker Man (#37)

7. Possession (#33)

11. Ringu (#31)
12. Bram Stoker's Dracula (#50)
13. Onibaba (#73)

20. The Omen (#35)
21. The Birds (#41)

24. Eyes Without A Face (#46)
25. Sveto mesto (1 pointers list)
A normal man? For me, a normal man is one who turns his head to see a beautiful woman's bottom. The point is not just to turn your head. There are five or six reasons. And he is glad to find people who are like him, his equals. That's why he likes crowded beaches, football, the bar downtown...

The Conjuring (2013)
Runtime: 1 Hr 52 Mins
Production Company: New Line Cinema
Distributed by Warner Bros Pictures
Production Budget: $20,000,000
Box Office: $319,500,000
Eleven Votes
135 Points (20, 19, 18, 15, 13, 13, 12, 7, 6, 6, 6)
High Voter: @TheUsualSuspect

Doll Box by Joseph Bishara
Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	The Conjuring 29.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	76.5 KB
ID:	53620