MoFo Top 100 Horror Movies: The List

→ in
Tools    

The Blair Witch Project is very high on my I-want-my-ticket-money-back-list along with Fantastic Four, Gigli, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles II: The Secret of the Ooze & Step Up 2.

The Blair Witch Project was my 21! I don’t find it a perfect movie or even really well put together, but it’s pretty darn effective and a sheer exercise in creating tension and horror out of literally nothing... I didn’t like it much the first time because I expected a great horror film and kept waiting for the horror to start. But it’s about the experience, the constant build-up, the feeling of reality and fear. The authenticity of it. I sat down the second time to watch some low budget lost footage of some teenagers researching a myth - and with that mindset it worked wonders. At what it does it’s one of the best at it.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
I've said some nasty things around here about The Blair Witch Project, but I've continued to watch it. I think better of it now but still can't recommend it. My brother, and, obviously, millions of others, went out and watched this at the theatre, repeatedly, when it came out. It was a smash. I steered clear since I already knew the whole thing was bogus and probably meant for younger viewers like my students who almost all thought it was true.

When I first rented it on DVD, I watched it twice. This is what I wrote about it then. "It was boring both times and got more boring as it went along. My overall impression of it was that was one of the worst films I've ever seen, mostly because it is basically nothing, and my only rationalization for it being a hit was that people on the Net made it a communal experience, almost along the lines of The Rocky Horror Picture Show, but without the time it takes to make a cult movie.

I have heard many older, "rational" people explain how scary it was to them, but I find it difficult to believe that I will ever feel it was more than an amateurish scam job on ignorant teenagers. Sorry.

P.S. If you were "scared out of your gourd" by the film, don't listen to my "insane" babblings."

Mmmm... Tasty

-"The Cabin In The Woods" (2011)

-"Black Sabbath" (1963)

-"Fright Night" (1985)

-"Friday The 13th" (1980)

-"Jennifer's Body" (2009)
Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	cabinone.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	15.1 KB
ID:	53543   Click image for larger version

Name:	blksbone.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	15.5 KB
ID:	53544   Click image for larger version

Name:	fnone.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	152.7 KB
ID:	53545   Click image for larger version

Name:	fr13one.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	16.5 KB
ID:	53546   Click image for larger version

Name:	jsbodyone.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	9.7 KB
ID:	53547  

It's too bad Commodus' friend @Funny Face bailed on this list. She'd have been a great addition and counter-balance to the mayhem. #33 up pretty soon.

There needs to be a MoFo Fright Night with Wolfy Nostro as host.

Excited for the rest of the list!

It's too bad Commodus' friend @Funny Face bailed on this list. She'd have been a great addition and counter-balance to the mayhem. #33 up pretty soon.
It is a shame. With her participation Gremlins might've been even higher.

It is a shame. With her participation Gremlins might've been even higher.
Wonder if you KNOW what all she's sent me HooOOoo Boy!!

Attachments

Name:	Sheedy.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	15.5 KB
ID:	53551  

My wife and I were on a road trip when Blair Witch was out. We stopped off for the night in some middle of nowhere town and went to see it at an old creepy cinema. I'm not sure if it was the movie or the situation, but we had a great time. I haven't watched it since as I know the experience couldn't get any better.

Possession (1981)
Runtime: 2 Hrs 4 Mins
Distributed by Gaumont
Box Office: $1,113,538
Eight Votes
133 Points (23, 21, 19, 18, 17, 17, 15, 3)
High Voter: @Nathaniel

♪ ♫ ♬ Andrzej Korzynski Theme
Attachments

Name:	Possession 33.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	385.0 KB
ID:	53556  

2. The Devil's Rejects (#74)
5. Kill List (No Show)
8. The Last House on the Left (#90)
9. Near Dark (No Show)
10. Deep Red (#66)
11. Possession (#33)
16. Carrie (#45)
20. The Omen (#35)
22. Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde (#84)
23. Hellraiser (#53)

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
Possession is well-crafted, and the photography is flamboyantly expressive, but the lead characters are just too possessed for me to relate. Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf? is one of my favorite films, and it's true those characters could seem similarly possessed, but they have loads of witty dialogue and ultimately seem humanly-flawed and not jusi in a cinematic exercise to seem outré. There are some fans here though, and it does belong with Lynch's bizarro work.

Sit Ubu Sit.... Good Dog
"JOOOOOOSH!"

I only got around to watching The Blair Witch Project a few years ago and I thought it was decent - was definitely afraid that the hype and imitators would kill it (I'd already seen [REC] by that point, after all), but I still found it a creepy enough experience. Did not consider it for my list, though. Maybe it could've used some drones.
Blair Witch Project is definitely a movie you had to see in the Theater.

These last two were on my list, in my top ten even. The Blair Witch Project was my sixth overall pick while Possession was ninth. Living in Maryland I got a chance to see The Blair Witch Project after Sundance but about a month before its release. Really just before the internet buzz ramped up to a roar. I went into it knowing almost nothing, a screening at the Charles Theatre in Baltimore. It was a packed house, a Saturday afternoon...and it got me. For me the no-budget found footage creeper captured the uneasiness that comes from being in the woods alone in the middle of the night, where every snap of a twig is a bear or a chainsaw-weilding psychopath, plus the persistent rumors and local legends of death and supernatural dread. Absolutely loved the ending. As bare bones and stripped-down as Blair Witch is, Żuławski's flick is stylized hysteria, a fevered wet dream that goes so over-the-top you can scarcely remember where the ground is. Intensity. Insanity. Adjani-ty.

HOLDEN’S LIST
2. The Bride of Frankenstein (#68)
5. Get Out (#39)
6. The Blair Witch Project (#34)
8. Don’t Look Now (#64)
9. Possession (#33)
10. Invasion of the Body Snatchers 1956 (#70)
12. Antichrist (#82)
13. Jacob’s Ladder (#67)
14. It Follows (#78)
16. Freaks (#55)
17. The Babadook (#63)
20. Eyes Without a Face (#46)
21. Near Dark (DNP)
24. Hereditary (#56)
25. Trouble Every Day (DNP)
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
I remember when The Blair Witch Project was in the theaters, and everyone was talking about how scary it was, my friend dragged me to see it, and I couldn't understand what all of the fuss was about. I thought the movie was boring, and I didn't find it scary.

When this countdown was announced, I immediately put The Blair Witch Project on my watchlist because I knew with all the hype about it, it would probably make the countdown, so I wanted to give it another chance. So I rewatched the movie, and I still don't get it. It's still just a boring movie.

I've never heard of Possession.

Possession was my #24 and while i like the overall depressive Eastern European Cold War mood of the film, I do not like it as much as used too. In some sense it all gets to much, if you can say that in English.

My List:

4. The Wicker Man (#37)

7. Possession (#33)

12. Bram Stoker's Dracula (#50)
13. Onibaba (#73)

20. The Omen (#35)
21. The Birds (#41)

24. Eyes Without A Face (#46)
25. Sveto mesto (1 pointers list)
A normal man? For me, a normal man is one who turns his head to see a beautiful woman's bottom. The point is not just to turn your head. There are five or six reasons. And he is glad to find people who are like him, his equals. That's why he likes crowded beaches, football, the bar downtown...

Possession is one of my most hated films. Damn I hated that one.

Because of the love for it I kinda feel I need to rewatch it and maybe it will change my mind. But really don’t want to.