MoFo Top 100 Horror Movies: The List

→ in
Tools    

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
I watched The Others for this countdown, and I liked it a lot. It was on my list for a while, but it got bumped off as I watched more movies. It probably would have made my top 35-40 list of horror movies, but it missed out on my top 25.

The Wicker Man (1973) was on my watchlist for this countdown, but I couldn't find the 1973 version before submitting my list. (And I have no desire to watch the Nic Cage version.)

My washed-out Chris Pine mask.
Nice placement on Cabin in the Woods. I dug that one.

Hope some slashers make it into the top 20.

My List:

4. The Wicker Man (#37)

12. Bram Stoker's Dracula (#50)
13. Onibaba (#73)

21. The Birds (#41)

24. Eyes Without A Face (#46)
25. Sveto mesto (1 pointers list)
A normal man? For me, a normal man is one who turns his head to see a beautiful woman's bottom. The point is not just to turn your head. There are five or six reasons. And he is glad to find people who are like him, his equals. That's why he likes crowded beaches, football, the bar downtown...

Sit Ubu Sit.... Good Dog
For the record, have not seen The Innocents 1961 yet, and i'm not a fan of The Sixth Sense..
Is the Sixth Sense even a horror movie, cause if it is than I QUIT.

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
I still haven't seen The Others. I suppose I ought to rectify that soon.

The Wicker Man I thought was laughably bad... up until the ending. As soon as the animal masks appear, it the sense of horror begins and doesn't let up until the horrific finale.

Boldly going.
The Others was on my list. It's more ghost story and suspense than horror, really.

Haven't seen Wicker Man. When I saw it listed, I immediately thought it was the much-ridiculed remake with Nicholas Cage, until I noticed the year.

Welcome to the human race...
The Others is alright.

I re-watched The Wicker Man for the countdown, and while it's still great ('70s camp and all - that Britt Ekland scene gives me "Showgirls pool scene" vibes), I ultimately did not vote for it.

For some reason I've seen the Nic Cage Wicker Man multiple times, yet I've only seen the 1973 film once.
This is all kinds of crazy but not any kind I've experienced before.

The real version of The Wicker Man was the last cut of my 100 waaay back in the mists of time when I still watched films but my love for it is undiminished and it took thirteenth place on my list here. The best example of, what has come to be known as Folk-Horror IMO, though newer entries in that sub-genre may have surpassed it... But they're new, so I doubt it very much because this is brilliant. It does feel a bit like a Scottish giallo, were such a thing to exist, with the mystery front and centre, the missing girl and the policeman trying to understand an unknown culture more than a horror film until quite late on in the piece, so if you're enjoying it, you ain't seen nothing yet and, if you're underwhelmed, then maybe stick around and see how it plays out. It's certainly not for everyone and I know quite a few people (under 30's I'd say) have some trouble with the whole 70's-ness of it but if you can ignore/get past/enjoy that then I can't recommend it highly enough.

Even more so if you're someone who loves a film which creates an atmosphere.

The Others was on my list. It's more ghost story and suspense than horror, really.

It's not a horror film it's just a suspenseful ghost story

The Others (38)
Deep Red (66)
Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1956) (70)
The Wicker Man (1973) (37)
The Invisible Man (1933) (77)
I Walked With a Zombie (100)

Will come up with something inventive for introductions in the coming days, unexpectedly got called in for nightshift tonight just now, AGHH (must find food!)

Perfect Blue (1997)
Runtime: 1 Hr 21 Mins
Production Company: Madhouse
Distributed by Rex Entertainment
Production Budget: ¥90 million (Japanese Yen) or $687,500
Box Office: $768,050 (US & UK)
Eight Votes
125 Points (25, 22, 17, 17, 17, 12, 9, 6)
High Voter: @jal90
Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	Perfect Blue 36.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	344.7 KB
ID:	53504  

The Omen (1976)
Runtime: 1 Hr 51 Mins
Distributed by 20th Century Fox
Production Budget: $2,800,000
Box Office: $60,900,000
Thirteen Votes
125 Points (25, 16, 16, 15, 9, 9, 8, 6, 6, 5, 5, 3, 2)
High Voter: @Kaplan
Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	The Omen 35.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	296.0 KB
ID:	53505  

The Omen classic! Awesome job on the artwork Nostromo!

List so far:
6. The Others (# 38)

9. Bram Stoker's Dracula (# 50)

10. The Omen (# 35)

12. Event Horizon (# 49)

13. Train to Busan (Did not place)

16. Interview With The Vampire (# 44)

23. The Babadook (# 63)

24. The Birds (# 41)

After hosting the MoFo Top 100 Animated Films Countdown, I made it a point to watch every movie that made the cut. This is how I was first introduced to Perfect Blue and to Satoshi Kon in general. I thought it was excellent. The artwork is beautiful and the story is both unsettling and disorienting. I had it at #9.

Here's what I wrote the last time I watched it:

Pâfekuto burû (Perfect Blue) (Satoshi Kon, 1997)
Imdb

Date Watched: 2/7/19
Cinema or Home: Home
Reason For Watching: 18th MoFo Hall of Fame, nominated by Nathaniel
Rewatch: Yes

This was, if I recall correctly, my third time watching this film. I first watched this movie in 2015 (when I was on a mission to watch every film on the MoFo Top 100 Animated Films list) and again in 2017 (when it was nominated for an animated films tournament). With each viewing I've been very much impressed by how well crafted it is. I think a lot of people wrongly dismiss animation as being a medium for children's entertainment. I was once one of those people, but watching the work of Satoshi Kon was instrumental in changing my perspective.

Perfect Blue tells a very taut, disorienting tale of obsession, paranoia, and delusion. The characters felt very real and at times I forgot I was watching an animated film because I was so lost in the story. The film also does really well to set its mood and uses color very effectively contrast the two worlds Mima inhabited - as a pop idol and as an actress. It also uses that contrast to contribute to the unnerving feeling as she really lost touch with reality.

I am not without my complaints about this film, but they are pretty minimal. My only major gripe was how irritating I found Mima to be, particularly in the earlier scenes - her childlike naivete and shrill voice are really grating. I also find myself unable to really feel any emotion for her - perhaps a result of my annoyance with her - and for that reason even on this third watch I just can't seem to cross that line from really liking it to actually loving it. Even so, I think it holds its own among the other psychological horrors I've seen and will surely secure a place on my ballot for the Horror countdown.

+
My Ballot:
2) Army of Darkness (#77)
3) Gremlins (#51)
4) The Skin I Live In (#80)
8) Freaks (#55)
9) Perfect Blue (#36)
11) The Others (#38)
12) Interview With the Vampire (#44)
15) Onibaba (#73)
25) Earthlings (1 pointers list)

Watched Perfect Blue recently for HoF and it was OK. At least on first viewing it feels like purposefully confusing and it mixes reality and fantasy just for the sake of it. Basically an animated giallo. The Omen is pretty good and certainly deserves its spot among the classics of the genre. It would surely be in top-100 for me, not sure about top-50 but here I didn't vote it.

Seen: 55/66

A system of cells interlinked
I like Perfect Blue, and consider it one of my favorite Anime, but I never considered it for my horror list.