MoFo Top 100 Horror Movies: The List

→ in
Tools    

Oh damn, double trouble for my list today. I had both films on my list...

The Descent was my #14 and it actually used to be what was probably my favorite horror... I have seen TONS since then, many of which are classics, and with those it can’t quite compete. But it’s a fun little hell ride and and it’s very well made. I definitely still enjoy it.

Get Out is a newer film, but it did something with the horror genre that was very refreshing and it was quite the experience. A genre-mix of a lot of things and a twisted social commentary. There is a lot going on and I find the experience very good. Great film imo. I had it at #17. Might be a bit higher in a few years, but didn’t wanna throw such a new film above all classics and favorites just yet.

Guess I was high voter for both The Hauting and The Descent. The Haunting is in my opinion the best haunted house movie ever. Of all my phobias claustro may be my least favorite so the Descent was terrifying. Thank God the bad guys finally showed up to ease the tension a bit and throw some fantastic gore my way.

Yes! Finally another one from my list. My #6 was The Birds (1963). I know it's en vogue to hate on that film, but I don't care, I like it...a lot.

Physiologically it's frightening, as it speaks to the innate fear inside all of us, which is the fear of not belonging. The birds are a parable for the proverbially outsider coming into a small close knit, guarded community. Even if the birds were completely removed from the script, you would still have a sustainable drama based on the ostracization of the Tippi Hedren character as she tries to enter a self contained 'world' where shes shunned as the outsider. Of course like Mark said, the film can be interpreted many ways and that's the beauty of it.

The Descent is amazing stuff and it was my #20.

A system of cells interlinked
I had The Descent at #8. Scared the hell out of me when i saw it in theaters, and really, it was one of the more memorable theater experiences I have ever had, with many people straight up freaking out in the theater. Sadly, we didn't get the true ending until the home release, which only made the film better.

I really enjoyed The Descent. It's odd as I saw it at the cinema with a group of friends and was the only person who didn't think they'd wasted their money. I think it's really good, but also feel that the claustrophobic scenes are far more effective and scary than when the talcum covered Gollums turn up. Like most of these, I've not watched it in a very long time. Probably 10 years? Maybe more?

Still don't think of The Birds as a horror film. Sorry.

Obviously I've not seen Get Out.

The Others (2001)
Runtime: 1 Hr 44 Mins
Production Company: Las Producciones del Escorpion, SL
Distributed by Warner Sogefilms
Production Budget: $17,000,000
Box Office: $209,900,000
Ten Votes
122 Points (22, 20, 19, 17, 15, 13, 6, 4, 4, 2)
High Voter: @Siddon
Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	The Others 38.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	275.8 KB
ID:	53482  

The Wicker Man (1973)
Runtime: 1 Hr 27 Mins
Production Company: British Lion Films
Distributed by British Lion Films
Production Budget: £500,000
Box Office: $58,341
Ten Votes
123 Points (25, 22, 13, 13, 13, 12, 11, 9, 3, 2)
High Voter: @TYTD
Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	The Wicker Man 37.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	331.3 KB
ID:	53483  

It's been quite some time since the last time I watched The Others, but I remember it being creepy and really liking the atmosphere of it. I meant to rewatch it prior to the countdown but never got to it. Still remembered it fondly enough to put it at #11.

My Ballot:
2) Army of Darkness (#77)
3) Gremlins (#51)
4) The Skin I Live In (#80)
8) Freaks (#55)
11) The Others (#38)
12) Interview With the Vampire (#44)
15) Onibaba (#73)
25) Earthlings (1 pointers list)

Certainly believable, considering you probably watched very few horror movies to prep for this list.

It's been quite some time since the last time I watched The Others, but I remember it being creepy and really liking the atmosphere of it.

The Others is another one from my list! I had it at #13. Very good, atmospheric horror thriller with a twist that blew me away the first time. It has lost a bit now but I still very much appreciate it and enjoy it. Good film.

Unfortunately I didn’t like The Wicker Man. It just didn’t work for me. I wish it would.

Certainly believable, considering you probably watched very few horror movies to prep for this list.
And? Time got away from me. It happens. I was expecting to get some PM reminders in the weeks leading up to deadline. I think I got one, maybe?

I had Jordan Peele's debut all the way up at number five. The intersection of horror, suspense, science fiction, dark comedy, and social satire is just so damn irresistible. To me Get Out was worth all of the acclaim, box office, awards attention, and everything else positive that came its way. Even though it was such a recent release, when I was making my list it kept creeping higher and higher. I think it'll hold up in five, ten, and thirty years. A true instant classic that transcends the many genres it straddles.

That makes eleven of my picks. My remaining twelve should all make it. Hope so.

HOLDEN’S LIST
2. The Bride of Frankenstein (#68)
5. Get Out (#39)
8. Don’t Look Now (#64)
10. Invasion of the Body Snatchers 1956 (#70)
12. Antichrist (#82)
13. Jacob’s Ladder (#67)
14. It Follows (#78)
16. Freaks (#55)
17. The Babadook (#63)
20. Eyes Without a Face (#46)
21. Near Dark (DNP)
24. Hereditary (#56)
25. Trouble Every Day (DNP)

"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
I didn't have either. The Wicker Man was already a cult movie when it was released in the U.S. in 1975. Yes, it took a year-and-a-half to reach our shores. The advertising played up that it wasn't a typical horror film, that it was more about a clash of cultures or religions. It was pitched as a mystery though, so the uptight Christian police sergeant played by Edward Woodward gets more than he bargained for in the Scottish Hebrides when he investigates the disappearance of a girl. There are uncooperative locals and the upcoming May Day Festival for the sergeant to deal with, but he's especially disturbed by the wanton desire and preoccupation with sex found on the island. The Wicker Man does have a connection with many of the Hammer Horrors that dealt with bizarre cults, but it takes it a step further and also supplies an abundance of local color and music. It seems so well-researched that it could be a documentary. If you don't know what it's really about, the long, detailed ending should hit you really hard, but I suppose there's always a chance that some viewers will laugh at the goings-on. But then you can always find people who will make fun of others' religious practices just as much as they'll make fun of others' favorite movies - not that any of that ever happens here.
The Others is The Innocents, done in color for The Sixth Sense Age, but keeping its own twists. Well-acted and creepy with a gimmick that's a strong one if you don't see it coming.
My List
1. Gremlins
9. Altered Siates
16. Wait Until Dark
17. Carrie
25. Diabolique

@Nostromo87 the front page could certainly use a refresh. It's 24 movies behind for those who haven't been able to check in everyday.
Done.

Perplexed mainly that you haven't seen your #11 horror movie in a long time.

And? Time got away from me. It happens. I was expecting to get some PM reminders in the weeks leading up to deadline. I think I got one, maybe?
It's been quite some time since the last time I watched The Others, but I remember it being creepy and really liking the atmosphere of it.