Tools    

Carrie (1976)
Runtime: 1 Hr 28 Mins
Production Company: Red Bank Films
Distributed by United Artists
Production Budget: $1,800,000
Box Office: $33,800,000
Ten Votes
102 Points (24, 19, 11, 10, 9, 7, 7, 7, 5, 3)
High Voter: @edarsenal

A girl who lives in that creepy house, with her crazy mother. The girl with a strange power. A film by Brian De Palma, based on the chilling best seller, starring Sissy Spacek, Piper Laurie, Nancy Allen, PJ Soles, and introducing John Travolta, in his first motion picture role. If you have a taste for terror, you have a date... with Carrie.

♪♫♬ Calisthenics by Pino Donaggio ♬♫♪
Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	CarrieFortyFive.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	76.2 KB
ID:	53387  

Yay!
Carrie, often copied, never bettered.

Weird thing with Carrie though, is that not much actually happens... yet it's one of the most effective horrors ever made.

01. The Babadook (2014) - 63rd
02. Hellraiser (1987) - 53rd
03. The Cabin In The Woods (2012) - 52nd
04. Dog Soldiers (2002) - 94th
11. Zombieland (2009) - 83rd
14. The Fog (1980) - DNP, 110th
15. Carrie (1976) - 45th
18. A Quiet Place (2018) - 61st
25. Critters (1986) - 1 Pointers List

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
Carrie was a film I went back to see often when it came out. De Palma used the Bernard Herrmannesque Pino Donaggio score to accentuate Mario Tosi's impressionistic photography. He was even into lots of giallo-inspired lighting effects and took his fetish for split-screen imagery to new heights. Sissy Spacek was heartbreaking as the abused Carrie and scary as her vengeful other side, but Piper Laurie really pulled out all the stops as her religious fanatic mother. That penultimate scene in Carrie's house has some of the most-memorable combinations of cinematography/music I've ever experienced, and that ending sure was a grabber. If it was all lavished upon a genre flick, be thankful for it.

My List
1. Gremlins
9. Altered Siates
16. Wait Until Dark
17. Carrie
25. Diabolique

Carrie is one of only a handful of movies that actually scared me. I'm sure it helped that I was only 5 when I first saw it at the cinema.

I didn't think much of Eyes Without a Face but I feel like maybe I missed something and I should watch it again.

2. The Devil's Rejects (#74)
5. Kill List (No Show)
8. The Last House on the Left (#90)
9. Near Dark (No Show)
10. Deep Red (#66)
16. Carrie (#45)
22. Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde (#84)
23. Hellraiser (#53)

I may or may not have completely forgotten about Nosferatu the Vampyre when making my list. I definitely would've rewatched it for the Countdown if it had crossed my mind.

While I've heard a lot about Martyrs, I haven't seen it. I'm interested in checking it out for myself, but it doesn't exactly look like the kind of film you just throw on on a whim, and I haven't really been in the mood for that kind of cinematic experience.

I saw part of Eyes Without a Face on one of the movie channels ages ago, but I wasn't able to see the entire thing. It's another title on the long list of films that I've been meaning to go back to, but haven't gotten around to yet.

Carrie is one of the first horror movies I remember other kids talking about at school, spoiling the ending before I had seen it myself. I did watch it anyway when I had the opportunity to, then for years I would rewatch parts of it on tv, but didn't properly rewatch the entire thing from start to finish until a few years ago. I definitely found the earlier parts of the film more interesting than I did when I was younger, and there were a number of themes that I had completely missed before hand. It was in contention, but didn't quite make my list.

Seen: 43/56
My List: 6

02. Re-Animator (1985) - #88
07. Cabin in the Woods (2011) - #52
16. Event Horizon (1997) - #49
17. The Wailing (2016) - #69
18. It Follows (2014) - #78
20. The Babadook (2014) - #63
25. The Void (2016) - DNP/1 Pointers List

Interesting thought... Carrie makes 45th place on MoFo... and made 46th place on AFI's 100 Years, 100 Thrills.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
I haven't seen Nosferatu The Vampyre, and I didn't even know that this remake version existed.

I've never heard of Martyrs.

I think I saw Eyes Without A Face around the time I first joined MoFo. I vaguely remember watching it for a HoF or movie tournament, but I don't remember much about it.

I watched Carrie for this countdown, but I don't understand the hype for this movie. I found it mostly boring, and predictable at times.

Two good films I didn't vote for. Was actually supposed to rewatch Eyes Without a Face for this but never did. It has one sure sign of a good film for me - I liked the ending. Carrie is also good but maybe little overrated in my opinion. Still probably the best King filming (at least when it comes to horrors).

Seen: 47/56

My List:

12. Dracula (#50)
13. Onibaba (#73)

24. Eyes Without A Face (#46)
25. Sveto mesto (1 pointers list)
A normal man? For me, a normal man is one who turns his head to see a beautiful woman's bottom. The point is not just to turn your head. There are five or six reasons. And he is glad to find people who are like him, his equals. That's why he likes crowded beaches, football, the bar downtown...

Carrie has never done much for me, but I had Les Yeux sans Visage as my twentieth pick. Back in the olden days when films weren't available via on demand streaming or discs or even videotape and there was no pop-up guide to give you details or even the title, I stumbled upon this one on one of my local PBS stations one weekend. Having an almost limitless range of media accessible 24/7 is wonderful and all, but it does take much of the random discovery away. Eyes without a Face has certainly remained in my subconscious.

HOLDEN’S LIST
2. The Bride of Frankenstein (#68)
8. Don’t Look Now (#64)
10. Invasion of the Body Snatchers 1956 (#70)
12. Antichrist (#82)
13. Jacob’s Ladder (#67)
14. It Follows (#78)
16. Freaks (#55)
17. The Babadook (#63)
20. Eyes Without a Face (#46)
21. Near Dark (DNP)
24. Hereditary (#56)
25. Trouble Every Day (DNP)

"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Two really good films here and two films I had a similar reaction to in as much as I when I saw both I immediately wanted all my friends to see them. Much easier to do with Carrie when I was 9 or 10 than Eyes Without A Face when I was in my early 20's. As HP said, before the days of streaming and download showing people this stuff (or even finding it) was a job in itself and the wonder of 'discovering' something would overwhelm me and lead to me rushing around to various friends (if I had the tape) and telling them they had to see this.

Never was a fan of Carrie. Then a couple years ago I was talked into going to see it at the local theater as part of their Halloween throwback (I was hoping to see the Thing or Alien). For some reason it is much better watching it on a big screen. I liked it so much I have it at #19. Piper "Dirty Pillows" Laurie gives one of my favorite performances ever.

Eyes Without a Face is very good as well. Not in my top 25 but it's a classic.

8. Sinister #76
9. Return of the Living Dead - DNP
12. The Wailing #69
14. [rec] #59
15. Freaks #55
19. Carrie # 45
20. Event Horizon #49
23. Martyrs #47

Seen 40 of 56