MoFo Top 100 Horror Movies: The List

→ in
Tools    

Boldly going.
Bram Stoker's Dracula is one of my favourite movies (and favourite books) and this movie does the book credibly. I especially love the scene when Dracula licks the blood off the shaving knife. It's a beautifully-made film, really. The only thing I didn't like about it was some of the casting choices: Keanu Reeves and Winona Rider were not well suited to their roles.

Two from my list tonight, nice!

Saw Event Horizon in the theater when it came out and always thought of it as an underrated sci-fi horror gem.
Glad to see it's not underrated here, salute to the other voters!

9. Bram Stoker's Dracula (# 50)

12. Event Horizon (# 49)

13. Train to Busan (Did not place)

23. The Babadook (# 63)

Catching up here. The only two I had on my list since the last time I posted were Hereditary as my twenty-fourth choice and Freaks my sixteenth. I am a bit surprised Browning's flick didn't rate collectively higher. I thought you were all one of us. Gooble-gobble. My remaining fourteen choices should all be revealed in the top fifty.

HOLDEN'S LIST
2. The Bride of Frankenstein (#68)
8. Don’t Look Now (#64)
10. Invasion of the Body Snatchers 1956 (#70)
12. Antichrist (#82)
13. Jacob’s Ladder (#67)
14. It Follows (#78)
16. Freaks (#55)
17. The Babadook (#63)
21. Near Dark (DNP)
24. Hereditary (#56)
25. Trouble Every Day (DNP)

"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
Event Horizon is a film that grows on me each time I watch it. One of the better sic/fi horror films.

Bram Stoker's Dracula is a beautiful film to look at. Will need to revisit it to really consider it for my list, but I doubt it would crack it.

Suspect's Reviews

Saw Bram Stoker's Dracula in theaters and have rewatched it once afterwards as well. I remember it being quite OK, maybe even good. Was planning to watch it again for this but failed to do that. Didn't make my list but was expecting it to be here. Event Horizon is a flawed film that still has lots of charm. I really wish that the missing content is found someday in good shape because it would surely enhance the film. Almost a guilty pleasure for me, I guess, but barely missed my vote.

Seen: 43/52

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
I watched a few different Dracula movies for this countdown, but Bram Stoker's Dracula wasn't one of them.

I tried watching Event Horizon, but I just couldn't get through it.

Welcome to the human race...
I had Event Horizon at #25 - yep, I gave up gaming the one-pointer list just so I could give this one extra point that it arguably didn't need. Still, hard to deny that it's got some weird charm to it despite its more apparent flaws.

I watched Bram Stoker's Dracula ages ago and thought it was alright. Have been meaning to revisit it for a long time, though.

My List:

12. Dracula (#50)
13. Onibaba (#73)

25.Sveto mesto (1 pointers list)
A normal man? For me, a normal man is one who turns his head to see a beautiful woman's bottom. The point is not just to turn your head. There are five or six reasons. And he is glad to find people who are like him, his equals. That's why he likes crowded beaches, football, the bar downtown...

Love the hell out of Event Horizon. It would definitely make my personal top 100 Horor list. Bram Stoker's Dracula I remember liking, but haven't rewatched it in a long time. Keanu Reeves was miscast, but I don't think that's a biggie. Gary Oldman was mesmerising.

Haven't seen Dracula. It's one of those movies I always say I'm going to watch then don't. Usually I'll tell myself tonight I'm going to watch Dracula. Then while trying to find it I stumble across something like Zombie Lake and my plans go out the window. Maybe I'll watch it tonight.

Had Event Horizon at 20. Whenever I think of this the first thing that pops into my head is Lawrence Fishburne saying "This place is a tooommmb" and were off!

Even Horizon I think starts well but then ends up being rather too standard a slasher film to be a classic for me. Certainly looks great though as one of the last large scale films to use minatures and the cast it mostly strong.

Dracula I admit I'v not seen it probably 20 years, my main memory is of Keanu's horrific acting.

HooOOoo Boy, gettin GOOD AND HOT, just how I like it

I am a bit surprised Browning's flick didn't rate collectively higher. I thought you were all one of us. Gooble-gobble.
Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	breakfastclub.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	15.6 KB
ID:	53341   Click image for larger version

Name:	fredk.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	10.4 KB
ID:	53342  

Yes! Bram Stoker's Dracula! It shouldn't be under Event Horizon but it's in the top 50. Amazing work and an excellent example of how modern vampire movies should be made.

Nosferatu The Vampyre (1979)
Runtime: 1 Hr 47 Mins
Production Company: Werner Herzog Filmproduktion
Distributed by 20th Century Fox
Production Budget: DEM2.5 Million (Deutsche Marks) or $1.4 Million (US Dollars)
Box Office: $5,190,818
Seven Votes
98 Points (22, 20, 16, 14, 10, 8, 8)
High Voter: @jiraffejustin
Attachments

Name:	Nosferatu The Vampyre 48.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	332.6 KB
ID:	53348  

Martyrs (2008)
Runtime: 1 Hr 39 Mins
Production Company: Eskwad, Wild Bunch, TCB Film
Distributed by The Weinstein Company
Production Budget: €2.8 million (Euros) or $3,163,608 (US Dollars)
Box Office: $1,100,000
Eight Votes
98 Points (24, 24, 21, 20, 3, 3, 2, 1)
High Voter: @akatemple , @cat_sidhe

♪♫♬ Seppuku Paradigm ♬♫♪
Attachments

Name:	Martyrs 47.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	67.9 KB
ID:	53351  

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds

Martyrs was such an emotionally draining film for me. I don't usually have trouble sitting through a film, but my God did this one do a number on me. I felt dirty after the film, I felt horrible and helpless. I wanted the characters to do so many things to get them out of their situations, but it never happened and I knew it never would. The film is devoid of hope.

I told myself I would never watch it again, but a friend made me watch it with him. It was a little bit more bearable the second time around, but still a hard watch.

Never bothered with the American remake.

I didn't like Martyrs when I first watched it but watched it again for this countdown. I think much more highly of it now and think a good amount of it is awesome. I just think the last 40 minutes are a letdown.

Nosferatu is awesome. It didn't make my list but it was in the running.