MoFo Top 100 Horror Movies: The List

→ in
Tools    

Seen Gremlins many times back in the 80's and I always loved it. It's been a while now. I thought of watching it again for the countdown but decided against it for two reasons. First, it's not a horror to me. Second, I would like to remember it fondly rather than to not think as highly of it as I once did.

Cabin of the Woods was like most popular modern horrors to me, a big disappointment.

YES!

I've loved Gremlins since I was a kid. I'm mildly disappointed that it didn't crack the top 50, but I'm thrilled to see it make it here. I'm also delighted that, even with my 3rd place ranking, I wasn't the high voter for it. (Love ya, Mark!)

Here's what I wrote about it last time I watched it:

Gremlins (Joe Dante, 1984)
Imdb

Date Watched: 11/27/18
Cinema or Home: Home, with filmmaker commentary track
Reason For Watching: I am a stubborn bitch who must always be right
Rewatch: Yes, many times over.

*SPOILERS*

With all the drama surrounding the upcoming MoFo Horror Countdown, I gave Gremlins yet another look. When I watched it about two weeks ago, I was mostly amazed at how funny I still found it to be after having not seen it in many years, but I was also surprised by the amount of violence and gore it contains.

In tonight’s rewatch, I paid closer attention to those darker aspects and now I am absolutely sure that Gremlins is horror. It’s “sanitized horror,” as Captain Spaulding put it, but still very much deserving of the horror classification. I forget which of the filmmakers in the DVD commentary track said it, but one of them described the film as “It’s a Wonderful Life meets The Birds.” I think that’s pretty accurate. Only instead of an avian attack, we get a horde of demonic looking creatures (not toys, as Nostromo would have you believe) that do things like rig a stair lift to eject an elderly lady through a glass window and catapult her to her death, take revenge on a science teacher by killing him with a hypodermic needle, jump out of a Christmas tree and choke a woman, chew through the brake lines of the sheriff’s car, and drive a snow plough straight through a man’s house. In the battle of gremlins vs humans, we also see a gremlin get exploded in the microwave and another ground to bits and splattered everywhere when it gets caught in a juicer. And then, of course, there’s the gruesome demise of Stripe, the leader of the gremlins, who melts into a bubbling, moving puddle of sickening greenish goo.

The movie is certainly a comedy, too, especially in its earlier scenes. It’s funny as hell, but in a very dark way and the farther along we get in the film, the more balanced the horror and comedic elements become, with the comedy taking a back seat to the horror in many scenes – often to a much higher degree than a lot of what is found in many of the more widely acknowledged horror comedies. If any of you in the “Gremlins is not horror” camp are reading this, I urge you to watch it again and reconsider.

+
My Ballot:
2) Army of Darkness (#77)
3) Gremlins (#51)
4) The Skin I Live In (#80)
8) Freaks (#55)
15) Onibaba (#73)
25) Earthlings (1 pointers list)

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
Computer's dead again. Just popped in on Sarah's to say Go Gremlins and why is it again that nostromo isn't banned?

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
The Cabin in the Woods

This film was #7 on my list. I saw an advanced screening of it with one of the special effects artists doing a Q&A afterwards. I remember loving the movie the moment the title card hit the screen and it managed to keep a giant freakin' smile on my face throughout the rest of the film.

The amount of pure love and joy the filmmakers have for the genre is on full display here. they tackle the cliched tropes you see in every horror film and turn them on their heads while still using them within the limits of the genre. They manage to make it seem like every other horror film is in the same universe, which was brilliantly done.

An ending where they most definitely stuck to their guns and said, this is it, deal with it. Kudos.

Really glad it made the list.

7. The Cabin in the Woods
9. Return of the Living Dead (Did not place)
15. Dog Soldiers (94)
17. Ginger Snaps (91)
18. Will Not Place
21. Will Not Place
24. Will Not Place
25. Stir of Echos (One-Pointer)

Suspect's Reviews

Welcome to the human race...
I remember really liking The Cabin in the Woods when it first came out (enough to watch it twice in theatres), but I haven't watched it since then and honestly get the impression it won't hold up if I revisit it so I probably never will.

I've seen Gremlins once and think it's okay, nothing more. Might give a slight edge to the sequel.

I'm with @cricket and call The Cabin in the Woods a major disappointment. It takes borderline funny idea that could make a decent sketch, stretches it into movie length and fills the emptiness with references to horror films. Just not my kind of movie. Gremlins I saw in the theaters and remember liking it quite a bit as kid (may have seen it from TV once after that too). Definitely not horror to me so didn't even consider rewatching it.

Seen: 41/50

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
I watched Peeping Tom a while back, (I think it was in a HoF or movie tournament), but I didn't get a chance to rewatch it for this countdown. If I remember correctly, it was a pretty good movie, but unless I liked it more after a rewatch, it probably wouldn't have made it onto my list.

I haven't seen Hellraiser.

The Cabin In The Woods was on my watchlist, but I didn't get a chance to watch it for this countdown.

I don't really consider Gremlins a horror movie, but I like it too much to leave it off my list, so it made it on my list at #15. It might have been higher if I thought of it as a horror movie.

My list so far:
3) Wait Until Dark (1967)
4) The Invisible Man (1933)
5) A Quiet Place (2018)
15) Gremlins (1984)
25) Jekyll & Hyde: The Musical (TV Movie - 2001)

You should see the sequel.
The entire thing is like an extended version of that bar sequence... with cartoon sound effects added for good measure.
I believe it might be something to do with people enjoying making that strange "hahhaha" sound and raising the sides of their mouths.

I know there's been a lot said about Gremlins inclusion (and I was definitely in the against camp) but at least I enjoyed Gremlins. Cabin In The Woods, as cricket said, was a huge disappointment. Maybe a second watch with that in mind might help, but tbh, I really don't see it happening.

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
Freaks - Didn't really consider this for my list, although it is a decent film and was on my 1930s list. Interesting film, and the "one of us" scene has certainly become film legend.

Peeping Tom
- I think this is a great film. I didn't really consider it as I didn't think of it as horror, although I suppose it is. It gets compared to Psycho a lot, but the real, scary, clever thing about Peeping Tom is the way it is tied in to movies and movie making, that watching movies is itself a form of voyeurism, the whole idea of the viewer being complicit in on-screen violence. Powell was there decades before Haneke.

Hellraiser - I found this a bit boring when I watched it to be honest. Although that could be because I'd already seen clips of the ending, and it just seemed to take a long time to get there.

The Cabin in the Woods - I thought this was a bit overrated. I don't think it's quite as innovative as it presents itself as being, and the ending was incredibly over the top. Although I suppose that is the point. It was OK, but didn't quite live up to the hype, for me.

Computer's dead again. Just popped in on Sarah's to say Go Gremlins and why is it again that nostromo isn't banned?
Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	gremlin.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	17.2 KB
ID:	53312  

Bram Stoker's Dracula (1992)
Runtime: 2 Hrs 8 Mins
Production Company: American Zoetrope
Distributed by Columbia Pictures
Production Budget: $40,000,000
Box Office: $215,900,000
Seven Votes
95 Points (18, 17, 17, 15, 14, 12, 2)
High Voter: @Frightened Inmate No. 2

Here occurred, the frightening, the shocking history...

Wojciech Kilar Theme
Attachments

Name:	Bram Stokers Dracula 50.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	310.9 KB
ID:	53315  

Event Horizon (1997)
Runtime: 1 Hr 36 Mins
Production Company: Paramount Pictures
Distributed by Paramount Pictures
Production Budget: $60,000,000
Box Office: $26,700,000
Ten Votes
96 Points (18, 18, 14, 14, 10, 10, 6, 3, 2, 1)
High Voter: @gandalf26 , @akatemple
Attachments

Name:	Event Horizon 49.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	365.2 KB
ID:	53316  

Even Horizon was my #12 one of my favorite horror sci-fi ever. Great stuff

A system of cells interlinked
I like both of these flicks, but I must say, neither of them crossed my mind as I compiled my list...

I've never been able to decide whether or not I like Bram Stoker's Dracula. I keep watching it whenever it's on tv though, so I must enjoy it somewhat. Oldman's Dracula is fantastic, and the design of his older self (with the puffy white hair and red robe) is immediately striking and unlike most other iterations of the character. While I actually like Keanu Reeves in most of his films, he definitely does drag Dracula down somewhat. It's been a long time since I've seen the film, so perhaps it's due for a rewatch sometime soon.

When it delves into its horror elements, Event Horizon produces some really interesting imagery. The parts of the film that had to be cut (and have since potentially been lost), definitely would've amplified the effects of the more grotesque sequences, so it's a shame that we'll likely never see the full version. The film definitely has some issues, but I quite enjoy it, and I had it on my list at #16.

Seen: 41/52
My List: 6

02. Re-Animator (1985) - #88
07. Cabin in the Woods (2011) - #52
16. Event Horizon (1997) - #49
17. The Wailing (2016) - #69
18. It Follows (2014) - #78
20. The Babadook (2014) - #63
25. The Void (2016) - DNP/1 Pointers List

Event Horizon was one of the nominations in the SciFi/Horror HoF
I liked it pretty much, more for the concept and visuals than the body count. Mr review:

Event Horizon (1997)
Director: Paul W.S. Anderson
Cast: Laurence Fishburne, Sam Neill, Kathleen Quinlan
Genre: Sci-Fi Horror

Date 2047: A star ship, the 'Event Horizon' that had mysteriously disappeared into a black hole 7 years early suddenly reappears in orbit around Neptune. A rescue team is dispatched to investigate and salvage the mystery ship.

Event Horizon has some things going for it...and some things against it. The concept of a long lost star ship reappearing after it had mysteriously disappeared into a black hole apparently having traveled to another dimension, which might be Hell...and then, bringing something back from that dark evil place, is a cool idea!

But I wish they would have explored the concept of what Hell was like and how it manifested itself on the ship in more detail. This could have had some deep existential ideas and explored some unique concepts. Instead we get a fun-horror-gore movie with people dying in gruesome ways. Bu this could have been so much more.

To me the ship was the best thing, as there wasn't much of character development and not much in the way of intriguing story lines. I liked the way the ship was mostly dark inside which made it look realer and creepier too. The outer space scenes looked really good. I'd give a 5/5 rating for the art design! The ship was one of the best I've seen in sci fi, especially the rotating hall way and the singularity engine drive which looked like a giant gyroscope. Very cool.

Since this movie first came out those sets have been copied in other sci fi movies and have become iconic staple of sci fi.

Two big name actors appear in this, Laurence Fishburne and Sam Neill. Sam Neil especially works well in his role. He's a pivotal part of the story and makes for an interesting character.

Event Horizon is best taken as fun entertainment, it has a great look, an interesting concept and if you like gore it's got that too.

+