MoFo Top 100 Horror Movies: The List

→ in
Tools    

Peeping Tom was on my list. It's such a great film, so ahead of its time. I only wish the ending scene, which tries to be artistic and brutal, could have even come close to the artistry (and brutality) of the Psycho shower scene.

My List:

4. Invasion of the Body Snatchers (#70)
11. Diabolique (#75)
16. Peeping Tom (#54)
17. Bride of Frankenstein (#68)
18. Antichrist (#82)
19. Don’t Look Now (#64)
20. Hausu (#57)
23. Vampyr (#65)
25. Of Unknown Origin (1-pointer)

Didn't make it through Peeping Tom or maybe I did. I don't remember. I know I started it.

Hellraiser is really good but it's one of the rare instances where I find the sequel better than the original.

Only real surprise so far is They Live. Everything else makes sense.

My movies:
8. Sinister
9. Return of the Living Dead - DNP
12. The Wailing
14. [rec]
15. Freaks

Seen 34 of 48

I honestly didn't think of Peeping Tom. Whether I'd have included it if I had I don't know, but the temptation would've been huge. A great film, just not one I think of as a horror film.

As usual I've seen none of the C21st horrors which have shown up here.

I don't think I've seen Hellraiser since it hit video. Didn't care much for it then, but don't know how I'd feel about it now.

The Cabin In The Woods (2012)
Runtime: 1 Hr 35 Mins
Production Company: Mutant Company Productions
Distributed by Lionsgate
Production Budget: $30,000,000
Box Office: $66,500,000
Six Votes
94 Points (23, 21, 19, 19, 8, 4)
High Voter: @The Rodent
Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	The Cabin In The Woods 52.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	76.6 KB
ID:	53283  

Gremlins (1984)
Runtime: 1 Hr 46 Mins
Production Company: Warner Bros
Distributed by Warner Bros
Production Budget: $11,000,000
Box Office: $153,100,000
Six Votes
95 Points (25, 23, 16, 15, 11, 5)
High Voter: @mark f
Attachments

Name:	Gremlins 51.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	378.8 KB
ID:	53284  

At least it's from the 1980s and has that red bikini pool girl Phoebe Cates in it.

Attachments

Name:	grml.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	195.3 KB
ID:	53285  

The Cabin In The Woods is the best thing in Universe history, like a super-cross between Scream and The Evil Dead. I've never seen it.

Attachments

Name:	tcitw02.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	296.2 KB
ID:	53286   Click image for larger version

Name:	tbitw01.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	227.9 KB
ID:	53287   Click image for larger version

Name:	tcitw03.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	215.3 KB
ID:	53288  

The Cabin in the Woods is so much freakin' fun. I loved it, and still love it. Even holds up on rewatch, even knowing all the twists and ins and outs. Such a great mix of loving homage and deconstruction (like Scream, as you alluded to).

I really love films that, for lack of a better phrase, Go There. That see their crazy idea all the way through to the end, that shout "YES" top the question "are they really going to...?" in a way that's shocking in all the best ways, rather than just the most disturbing ones. Tremendously enjoyable movie.

A system of cells interlinked
The Witch was # 22 on my list. I loved the attention to detail in that film. Also: Black Phillip.

Big fan of Cabin in the Woods, but it just missed my list.

When I was a kid, I loved Gremlins. Last time I watched it, it just annoyed me.

Yaas! Cabin was one that I really hoped would make it. For some reason I had it pegged as getting forgotten by the MoFo populous. Nice one MoFos!
It's an odd one, as it manages to use tropes from every horror movie going, then throws the whole thing onto its head.
Great movie.

Gremlins was on my shortlist... one of my favourite movies of all time, making pretty much my Top 100 every time I make one... but ultimately there are better horrors out there that took its place on my list. I think if this was "pick a top 30" instead of 25, it would have made my list.

01. The Babadook (2014) - 63rd
02. Hellraiser (1987) - 53rd
03. The Cabin In The Woods (2012) - 52nd
04. Dog Soldiers (2002) - 94th
11. Zombieland (2009) - 83rd
14. The Fog (1980) - DNP, 110th
18. A Quiet Place (2018) - 61st
25. Critters (1986) - 1 Pointers List

"The Cabin in the Woods" was my #5 (21 points). If you haven't seen it, then what are you doing with your life? I watched it in cinema when it came out and was blown away by it. It pays homage to horror genre in it's primary focus of first half and off the wall bonkers fun later.

Gremlins is in my horror top 30, love that movie! (and phoebe cates)

Never seen The Cabin In The Woods, didn't know it was a comedy/horror, will watch it tonight if possible.

After the whole Gremlin incident at the beginning of this countdown, I decided to watch it. It's one of the very few movies where I actually paused the DVD to comment on it. I exclaimed out loud, "Oh My God this is asinine!" I really said that during the bar scene! with the little puppets being served drinks by Phoebe Cates, ugh. Gremlins might qualify as so bad it's fun, except it was so annoying it can't be fun.

After the whole Gremlin incident at the beginning of this countdown, I decided to watch it. It's one of the very few movies where during watching it, I paused the DVD to comment on it. I exclaimed out loud, "Oh My God this is asinine!" I really said that during the bar scene! with the little puppets being served drinks by Phoebe Cates, ugh. Gremlins might qualify as so bad it's fun, except it was so annoying it can't be fun.

You should see the sequel.
The entire thing is like an extended version of that bar sequence... with cartoon sound effects added for good measure.

It's very faded now, but I still have my original ticket from when I saw Cabin in the Woods with my friends. We still jokingly call it "Cabin in the Woo" since I guess the entire title couldn't fit on the stub (though there was still enough room if you ask me). It was really fun, especially since the turn the film takes was a complete surprise at the time.

I've watched it a couple of times since then, and it never fails to amuse. It was on my list at #7. I've seen Gremlins countless times since I was a kid, but I didn't consider it for the Countdown. I did rewatch it and The New Batch this past Christmas though, if that counts for anything.

Seen: 39/50
My List: 5

02. Re-Animator (1985) - #88
07. Cabin in the Woods (2011) - #52
17. The Wailing (2016) - #69
18. It Follows (2014) - #78
20. The Babadook (2014) - #63
25. The Void (2016) - DNP/1 Pointers List

Attachments

Name:	cabin.JPG
Views:	224
Size:	117.8 KB
ID:	53292  

You should see the sequel.
The entire thing is like an extended version of that bar sequence... with cartoon sound effects added for good measure.
Sounds like something you might love but I'd hate!