MoFo Top 100 Horror Movies: The List

→ in
Tools    

I like a lot of elements of The VVitch, but overall found it a little lacking. I think it's one of those films that fell victim to the hype machine, since I didn't watch it until after I had heard everyone praising it. I hate to admit it, but I'm also one of the people who had to turn on subtitles, since I found the dialogue incredibly difficult to decipher. That was very strange for me, since I come from a place where a lot of people talk like this, so I'm used to hearing odd dialects.

I think Hausu is one of the strangest movies I've ever seen, and I still don't think I've figured out whether or not I like it. It's definitely very creative though.

Seen: 34/44
My List: 4

02. Re-Animator (1985) - #88
17. The Wailing (2016) - #69
18. It Follows (2014) - #78
20. The Babadook (2014) - #63
25. The Void (2016) - DNP/1 Pointers List

I had Hausu at #20. The movie is just so much fun and so damn bizarre. The VVitch I thought was creepy and had a lot of good qualities but overall it just didn't do anything for me.

My List:
4. Invasion of the Body Snatchers (#70)
11. Diabolique (#75)
17. Bride of Frankenstein (#68)
18. Antichrist (#82)
19. Don’t Look Now (#64)
20. Hausu (#57)
23. Vampyr (#65)
25. Of Unknown Origin (1-pointer)

Only saw Angst once. It was good.
Had [rec] at no. 14. I'm no fan of found footage but this was a genuinely creepy movie. The last half hour is fantastic.

The VVitch was very good. Just missed the cut for me.
House - I remember it being a lot of fun and would include it on my most Batsh*t Crazy Movies of all Time List. Maybe at no. 1.

Welcome to the human race...
Just be glad it's not an actual double-U because then we'd be spelling it The UUitch.

Hereditary (2018)
Runtime: 2 Hrs 7 Mins
Production Company: A24
Distributed by A24
Production Budget: $9,000,000
Box Office: $79,400,000
Eight Votes
89 Points (25, 17, 13, 12, 8, 6, 6, 2)
High Voter: @Okay
Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	Hereditary 56.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	46.1 KB
ID:	53254  

Freaks (1932)
Runtime: 1 Hr 4 Mins
Production Company: Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer
Distributed by Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer
Production Budget: $316,000
Eight Votes
90 Points (18, 18, 17, 11, 10, 8, 6, 2)
High Voter: @Miss Vicky , @re93animator
Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	Freaks 55.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	91.9 KB
ID:	53256  

I watched Freaks for a Hall of Fame several years ago and was quite taken with how sensitive it was to its subjects. I'm really glad to see it here. It was my #8.

Here's what I wrote about it for the HOF:

Freaks

I was really surprised by this film. I went into it knowing virtually nothing about it. I was really impressed with how sensitive it was to its subjects. I had some trouble understanding the actors, even with subtitles and the acting lacked the sort of nuance I've become accustomed to in modern film, but the message of the film came through clearly and it was a very emotional experience. Really glad I watched it.

P.S. - I think to refer to the people of this film as either "cute" or "disturbing" on any level is to miss the point of the film entirely.
My Ballot:
2) Army of Darkness (#77)
4) The Skin I Live In (#80)
8) Freaks (#55)
15) Onibaba (#73)
25) Earthlings (1 pointers list)

I had Freaks at 21.

11. Bride of Frankenstein
21. Freaks
22. A Quiet Place
24. The Babadook
25. The Invisible Man

I was disappointed by Hereditary. I thought it was ok but no better than many other movies like it.

Love Freaks and it was in the running for my list.

I watched The Wailing to get me to 100% seen. I enjoyed it quite a bit.

I liked Hereditary, but I didn't really consider it for my list. I only saw it once, and didn't feel like rewatching it so soon for the Countdown. It is one of the better films I saw last year though, and the performances were really strong across the board. It did start to lose me a little towards the end, but then it took a bit of a turn, and after a short period of being unsure as to whether or not I liked it, my brain just decided that I was 100% on board, so I ended up enjoying the ending quite a bit.

I don't remember why, but Freaks was brought up in one of my film classes. We only saw a small clip from it, but I decided to watch the whole film on my own time. I didn't think of it when compiling my shortlist, but now I feel like I should probably watch it again.

Seen: 36/46
My List: 4

02. Re-Animator (1985) - #88
17. The Wailing (2016) - #69
18. It Follows (2014) - #78
20. The Babadook (2014) - #63
25. The Void (2016) - DNP/1 Pointers List

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
I thought Hereditary was quite good although I just didn't like the ending much while it seems everyone else loved it. Not on my list but I can't complain about it's inclusion.

Freaks almost made the cut for me, but not quite. It's a great film that I'll need to see again.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
I liked Hereditary well enough but not as much as Freaks which I didn't list.
Freaks (Tod Browning, 1932)
(that's my legit rating; for those who are OUT THERE, think:
).

I don't know what to say about Freaks anymore, but down through the last 40 years, my opinion about it has kind of turned inside out. I've seen this film several times, on the big screen, on commercial TV, cable TV, and now on DVD. I've seen three different endings, but never apparently the original ending which was scrapped after the first preview screening in front of an audience. Freaks is a one-of-a-kind film. I realize that phrase gets tossed around a lot, and since this movie is 85 years old (!!), you probably won't believe me, unless, of course, you've seen it yourself.

When I first watched Freaks, I thought to myself, "Why, in God's name, would anyone make this film? Is this just pure exploitation or not? If it isn't, it's still very embarrassing for all involved because nobody can act and the whole thing comes off as amateurish." However, even so, probably because there was an incredible finale, I knew this film was much better than Browning's lauded, but sleep-inducing Dracula which made Bela Lugosi a star. A strange thing happened the more I watched this film. (Actually it's not that strange for all of you who watch a movie over and over; it seemed to shapeshift, transform and become more normal.) I started thinking that the "Freaks" were actually the more physically-"normal", hateful characters, while those with physical disabilities were more human and friendly.

(That character is super cool!)

Ultimately, Freaks is a melodrama showing how people try to take advantage of others. The fact that you never see the owner/manager of the traveling circus allows that non-character to wash his hands of everything. But the true villains of the piece are the "everyday" people who hate and take advantage of others. It's strange that these people who make a living in a sideshow can somehow believe themselves to be any less of a "freak" than those who have no say in the way they were born. Of course, Freaks makes it clear that if you are not "One of Us, One of Us!!", then you deserve whatever you get for being the inhuman monster you are.

I didn't like Hereditary. One of the major disappointments of recent years for me after all the hype. Freaks is another one I don't really get. Tried to rewatch it when deciding my nom for 30s HoF but didn't even finish the movie that time. Two films I expected to make the list but still wished they wouldn't.

Seen: 35/46

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
I watched Freaks for a HoF a while back, and it was a pretty good movie, but I never considered it for my list.

I haven't seen, (or heard of) Hereditary.

didn't see Freaks

I like Hereditary it was a nice watch overall

Welcome to the human race...
Huh, Hereditary placed outside the top 50. Didn't expect that. Anyway, I've seen it a couple of times and find it a mixed bag - definitely not in contention for my list.

Freaks is excellent and I'm honestly surprised at myself for not considering it for my list.