MoFo Top 100 Horror Movies: The List

→ in
Tools    

movies can be okay...
I absolutely love both of Angst and [REC], I've even planned on re-watching them to celebrate their placement. My list as of now...

2 - [REC] (2007)
3 - Angst (1983)
11 - mother! (2017)
13 - The Host (2006)
15 - Don't Look Now (1973)
18 - The Skin I Live In (2011)
20 - Onibaba (1964)
22 - Jacob's Ladder (1990)
"A film has to be a dialogue, not a monologue — a dialogue to provoke in the viewer his own thoughts, his own feelings. And if a film is a dialogue, then it’s a good film; if it’s not a dialogue, it’s a bad film."
- Michael "Gloomy Old Fart" Haneke

movies can be okay...
As for what I haven't commented on yet, Deep Red was another disappointment for me when it comes to giallo and (more specifically) Argento's movies. There are aspects to them that are a lot of fun, but overall they're surprisingly not my cup of tea, or more precisely they're not done the way I'd like them to be done, since I totally love detective/mystery films.

Don't Look Now was on my list, I don't have much to say about it other than it's loads of fun.

I have my issues with The Babadook, but it's still undoubtedly one of the best horror flicks of this decade, so its placement is deserved...however, I would've liked had It Follows placed higher.

The first Friday the 13th is indeed the best in its franchise, but that's not really saying much. I definitely consider it to be a bad movie, but I guess it has its charm.

Flinging a thousand blessings to @cat_sidhe for her presentation of Friday The 13th (1980).

The more different people who present, I feel like the more fun we have. If you want IN on the action, get at me in PM's! #59-60 upcoming later today.

It was a pleasure!

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
9. Return of the Living Dead (Did not place)
15. Dog Soldiers (94)
17. Ginger Snaps (91)
18. Will Not Place
21. Will Not Place
24. Will Not Place
25. Stir of Echos (One-Pointer)

^^

Same post I made 3 weeks ago. Nothing else of mine has shown up yet.

Seen 23/40

Suspect's Reviews

Boldly going.
Friday the 13th Part 1 was the first movie on this list to make my list. I think I had it at #15.
It was the only chapter in the series which involved mystery: the killer wasn't revealed until the end. In the rest of them, Jason did it. Obviously.
The "chi chi chi ha ha ha" still gives me goosebumps. And the "kill her mommy".

The VVitch (2015)
Runtime: 1 Hr 33 Mins
Production Company: Parts and Labor
Distributed by A24
Director: Robert Eggers
Production Budget: $4,000,000
Box Office: $40,400,000
Seven Votes
87 Points (25, 22, 12, 10, 8, 5, 5)
High Voter: @Nathaniel

Witch's Coven by Mark Korven
Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	The Vvitch 58.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	378.4 KB
ID:	53231  

Hausu (1977)
Runtime: 1 Hr 28 Mins
Production Company: Toho
Distributed by Toho
Director: Nobuhiko Obayashi
Seven Votes
89 Points (22, 18, 16, 15, 7, 6, 5)
High Voter: @TYTD
Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	Hausu 57.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	377.4 KB
ID:	53235  

The VVitch is really good and would almost surely make my top-50 but didn't get my vote here. Black Phillip is happy to see it on the list. Never even heard of Hausu. Those old Toho films are hit and miss for me (with some emphasis on miss, I'm afraid) so I don't have huge expectations for this horror comedy.

Seen: 33/44

Welcome to the human race...
Hausu was my #19. While its effectiveness as a straight horror is...debatable, it still packs a punch where it counts and is arguably one of the better examples of fun horror due to its relentlessly hyperactive pacing and cartoonishly artificial aesthetic.

The VVitch is solid, but I didn't vote for it.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
I haven't seen any of the last four movies that made the countdown.

The VVitch (2015)
Runtime: 1 Hr 33 Mins
Production Company: Parts and Labor
Distributed by A24
Director: Robert Eggers
Production Budget: $4,000,000
Box Office: $40,400,000
Seven Votes
87 Points (25, 22, 12, 10, 8, 5, 5)
High Voter: @Nathaniel

Witch's Coven by Mark Korven
I'm happy this placed. I had no space for it and was very sad to not include it. Love this movie. Black Philip all day!

Don't Look Now is a film that demands multiple viewings. Unfortunately, I've only seen it once. The fragmented editing and its effect on the viewer's psyche is the aspect of the film that has stuck with me the most. I prefer other Roeg films but I think my enjoyment/appreciation of Don't Look Now will rise with repeated viewings. I still run in the opposite direction anytime I see someone dressed in a red raincoat.

I won't deny that The Babadook has its share of creepy moments, and I'd likely possess an irrational fear of pop-up books had the movie existed in my youth, but I spent most of the movie wishing bodily harm to that annoying ass little brat while also shielding myself from the movie's blunt barrage of heavy-handed symbolism. Instead of repeating its name in drawn-out fashion, the "monster" might as well just keep uttering, "Metaphor . . . Metaphooorrr . . . METAAAAPHHHHOOOOORRRRR." F**k you, Babadook. All monsters in horror movies represent something. You don't have to be so god damn obvious about it.

Friday the 13th isn't as fun to me as some of its sequels, but you can't deny its legacy. It also features a strong contender for best jump scare ever:

I haven't yet seen A Quiet Place. Even if it's great, I think it's way too new to place this high on the countdown. (Although I feared it'd be even higher.) In its defense, the movie has already spawned several copycats, so perhaps I'm underestimating its impact on the genre. I haven't seen The Witch, either. According to MoFos, we're living in the golden age of horror.

Angst is a nasty little flick with amazing camerawork. It's no surprise that Gasper Noè has gone on record with his love of the film, since it clearly influenced his own levitating, constantly moving, ungoverned-by-physics camerawork -- although I'd argue that Angst uses that technique to much better effect than Noè ever has, as it essentially forces viewers into a similar state of mania as its psychopathic lead. An awesome surprise to see it appear on the countdown, and it goes to show just how unpredictable this countdown is turning out.

Having already seen the American remake stripped away some of the surprises and likely softened the impact of certain scenes, but even with that handicap, I found [REC] to be an intense, in-your-face thrill ride. Without a doubt, one of the best found-footage horror films. I liked [REC] 2 a lot as well. The third and fourth movies are crap.

Hausu is like a Japanese version of Scooby-Doo on a bad acid trip. Visually, it's unlike anything I've seen, and I admired its playful spirit, its manic energy, its use of color and its innovation, but ultimately I found the movie just too childish and annoying. The barrage of crazy visual effects became too much for me. It's possible that I'd enjoy the movie more with a re-watch, or a sudden diagnosis of ADHD, but I doubt it. As of right now, it's my lowest rated film to appear on the countdown. With that said, I still think it's cool that it showed up, and it gives me an excuse to include some of the wacky .GIFs, which are better than the movie itself, in my opinion.

Praise be!

I had Angst at #15. Pleasantly surprised that it made it.

My List
#1. The Witch (Robert Eggers, 2015)
#6. Deep Red (Dario Argento, 1975)
#11. Onibaba (Kineto Shindo, 1964)
#15. Angst (Gerald Kargl, 1983)
#17. The Wailing (Hong-jin Na, 2016)
#21. Vampyr (Carl Theodor Dreyer, 1932)
#22. Raw (Julia Ducournau, 2016)

I loved the atmosphere and setting of The VVitch but overall it didn't do much for me.

House was a fun one time watch that really isn't my type.