MoFo Top 100 Horror Movies: The List

→ in
Tools    

Flinging a thousand blessings to @cat_sidhe for her presentation of Friday The 13th (1980).

The more different people who present, I feel like the more fun we have. If you want IN on the action, get at me in PM's! #59-60 upcoming later today.
Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	cat1.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	16.5 KB
ID:	53203  

A Quiet Place is fantastic. almost make my list

the first Friday The 13th is nice but it's not my favorite from the series.

Angst (1983)
Runtime: 1 Hr 23 Mins
Production Company: Gerald Kargl
Distributed by Les Films Jacques Leitienne
Director: Gerald Kargl
Production Budget: €400,000 or equivalent to $450,452 US Dollars
Five Votes
86 Points (23, 22, 17, 13, 11)
High Voter: @Okay
Attachments

Name:	Angst 60.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	279.0 KB
ID:	53205  

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
Wow, never even heard of this one. Looks interesting though.

Suspect's Reviews

[Rec] (2007)
Runtime: 1 Hr 15 Mins
Production Company: Filmax International
Distributed by Filmax International
Director: Jaume Balagueró
Production Budget: $2,000,000
Box Office: $32,500,000
Five Votes
86 Points (24, 21, 16, 13, 12)
High Voter: @Okay
Attachments

Name:	Rec 59.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	385.2 KB
ID:	53206  

Man, [REC] was so damn close to making my list. I thought about having that one slip in my #25 but ended up giving it to Stir of Echos instead.

[REC] is great. Found footage became a huge trend for awhile and still lingers here and there but few films manage to pull it off well. REC does this in spades. What seems like a regular documentary quickly turns into carnage when a fire-station crew is called to an apartment complex.

The tension is elevated to great levels, the director knows what to show and how to show it in this specific format. Great acting from unknown people, which heightens the intended realism. The American remake Quarantine is full of famous faces, which immediately ruins the experience. Heck even the sequel isn't half bad.

Glad to see it here.

I don't think I've even heard of Angst before. Maybe I'll check it out if I can find it anywhere.

A few friends of mine really liked [Rec], but since I'm not overly fond of found footage films, I didn't bother to check it out until maybe 5 years or so ago. I had seen some behind the scenes movement tests of Javier Botet for Mama (said footage is a million times more creepy than the actual film), and decided to see what else he had been in. I also watched the remake, Quarantine, to see how they differ. Out of all the films mentioned here, [Rec] is by far the best one, but it didn't make my list.

Seen: 32/42
My List: 4

02. Re-Animator (1985) - #88
17. The Wailing (2016) - #69
18. It Follows (2014) - #78
20. The Babadook (2014) - #63
25. The Void (2016) - DNP/1 Pointers List

A Quiet Place (2018) was #7 (19 points) on my list.
You've got me interested in your movie preferences Tugg, be cool to see you SAY MORE!!

Alright, this is very crazy. About two years ago I designed this house. The idea I had in mind is that it would be a place where I'd invite people over during October for a month of horror viewing parties. This is the MoFo Horror House, apparently, where we can go to screen all these movies. And yes, we can only get there by rowboat.

Classic Horror Montage
By Youtube's Sonofabucci:

Attachments

Name:	MoFo Horror House.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	99.3 KB
ID:	53207  

"Children of the night, what music they make."
-Bela Lugosi, Dracula (1931)

Attachments

Name:	Lugosi 31.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	19.2 KB
ID:	53208  

Two that I haven't seen in one day

I've stumbled upon Angst on couple of occasions but it's never felt appealing enough to actually get it. Perhaps I should rectify that at some point. Many people seem to like [REC] but I don't usually like found footage. Every time I end up watching one I'll stay away from others for quite a while. Maybe this should be the one I torture myself next when the urge comes.

Seen: 32/42

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
Angst is a voyeuristic and surreal blending of sexual attraction with extreme torture and violence, sorta an extension of what Michael Powell did with Peeping Tom. For people who love raunchy horror, this is for you.
[REC] is a pretty scary subjective video camera tale which works better than most such films but highlights part of the problem with the "genre". This time a late night TV show interviews and travels with a firetruck when it goes on what turns out to be a deadly call. The entire film is seen from the videocam perspective. One of the flaws with these type of films is that even though they're mostly around 80 minutes long, they're still overlong, and partly it's because they have difficulty in building any kind of character development. So whenever things aren't scary, they tend to get rather boring. This one gets pretty scary, especially near the end, but then there is only one way these films can scare you, and that's to have something come at you from out of nowhere or the dark, so once again, that lessens just how scary the film can be because with only one camera, the "thing" can only come from one place. No points from me.

Welcome to the human race...
Haven't seen Angst, though it sounds interesting from what I've heard.

[REC] was never in contention for my list, but I can't deny that it's a solid piece of work and a definite contender for the best found-footage horror (if not the actual best). The last twenty minutes or so alone make it top 100 worthy.

Unregistered User
Not been well for last week or so, hence the absence but good to see we're back on track!
Bride of Frankenstein is one of my favourite from the classics era but unfortunately didn't make it on my list. After my first viewing of it I immediately went out and bought the dvd.
Jacob's Ladder was never even considered for my list, totally forgot about it. I like it and love the psychological horror of it but it wasn't going to make my list. Requires a rewatch.
Deep Red I got to rewatch for the horror HOF and although enjoyed it, wouldn't call myself a huge fan.
Vampyr missed out on my list but did feature right up until the final few draughts. On another day, it would make it. Very deserving of its place here.
Don't Look Now did make it on my list at no. 23. I love how dark and utterly depressing it is. Its such as haunting movie with my favourite Sutherland performance.
Babadook threatened to make a late entry to my list but didn't make it. Really well made and its themes are so well managed and portrayed.
Friday the 13th I have to admit I'm not the biggest fan of. I enjoyed the film ok but I feel not watching it earlier didn't help and sometimes I do have trouble getting past certain acting styles.
I'm surprised A Quiet Place made it on the list. I liked it but was never in contention.
Angst was my 13 pick and one of my favourite home invasion films. I love the explicitness of it and found it to be really disturbing while watching it. A surefire pick for me! Surprised actually at how many here haven't seen it yet, it would be interesting to hear thoughts on it from those.
Rec is excellent and one of the best POV films I've seen.

HORROR SYMBOLS On The List So Far

Frankenstein's Monster from The Bride Of Frankenstein (1935) Boris Karloff
The Monster's Mate from The Bride Of Frankenstein (1935) Elsa Lanchester
Mr Edward Hyde from Dr Jekyll And Mr Hyde (1931) Fredric March
Herbert West from Re-Animator (1985) Jeffrey Combs
Dr Jack Griffin from The Invisible Man (1933) Claude Rains
Ash Williams from Army Of Darkness (1992) Bruce Campbell
Jason Voorhees from Friday The 13th Part III (1982) Richard Brooker
Captain Spaulding from The Devil's Rejects (2005) Sid Haig
Tallahassee from Zombieland (2009) Woody Harrelson
Attachments

Name:	H Symbols.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	47.8 KB
ID:	53211  

HORROR SYMBOLS On The List So Far

Frankenstein's Monster from The Bride Of Frankenstein (1935) Boris Karloff
The Monster's Mate from The Bride Of Frankenstein (1935) Elsa Lanchester
Mr Edward Hyde from Dr Jekyll And Mr Hyde (1931) Fredric March
Herbert West from Re-Animator (1985) Jeffrey Combs
Dr Jack Griffin from The Invisible Man (1933) Claude Rains
Ash Williams from Army Of Darkness (1992) Bruce Campbell
Jason Voorhees from Friday The 13th Part III (1982) Richard Brooker
Captain Spaulding from The Devil's Rejects (2005) Sid Haig
Tallahassee from Zombieland (2009) Woody Harrelson
The amount of effort Nostromo is putting into this thread is mind boggling. Great job!!!

Second, he included Tallahassee to piss of Iro.