MoFo Top 100 Horror Movies: The List

→ in
Tools    

Really Scary one's..

Two more of mine. I had Jacob's Ladder as my number thirteen and The Bride of Frankenstein all the way up at number two.

HOLDEN'S LIST
2. The Bride of Frankenstein (#68)
10. Invasion of the Body Snatchers 1956 (#70)
12. Antichrist (#82)
13. Jacob’s Ladder (#67)
14. It Follows (#78)
21. Near Dark (DNP)
25. Trouble Every Day (DNP)

"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
Jacob's Ladder is on my Must See list and I still haven't watched it yet.

Never seen Bride.

Suspect's Reviews

movies can be okay...
I have my gripes with Jacob's Ladder, but overall I love it (the images of the protagonist in the party and in the bathtub are still with me to this day). I chose not to re-watch it though, because I'm not sure if it will hold up, and I'm also not keen on the thought of experiencing the film while taking the ending (which I was strongly against) into account the whole time. It still made my list and was my #22.

So far, I've seen 14 out of the revealed films, and my list currently looks like the following:
11 - mother! (2017)
13 - The Host (2006)
18 - The Skin I Live In (2011)
20 - Onibaba (1964)
22 - Jacob's Ladder (1990)
"A film has to be a dialogue, not a monologue — a dialogue to provoke in the viewer his own thoughts, his own feelings. And if a film is a dialogue, then it’s a good film; if it’s not a dialogue, it’s a bad film."
- Michael "Gloomy Old Fart" Haneke

Jacob's Ladder is one of those films where you need to keep giving it a chance and eventually you'll like it. I believe I needed three watches before I liked it.

Very interesting to see Bride of Frankenstein defeat Dr. Jekyll and Mr Hyde here It didn't even make my top 25 but it got killed in the Hall of Fame.

A film that did make my list and scored very highly was the original Invasion of the Body Snatchers

1. Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1956) (70)
  2. The Invisible Man (1933) (72)
  3. I Walked With a Zombie (100)

Deep Red (1975)
Runtime: 2 Hrs 6 Mins
Production Company: Rizzoli Film
Distributed by Rizzoli Film
Director: Dario Argento
Box Office: ₤3,709,000,000 (Italian lira) or $2,154,213
Seven Votes
80 Points (20, 17, 16, 12, 10, 3, 2)
High Voter: @Nathaniel

Is it right to be obsessed with looking at terrible things and sharing them with other people?
-Dario Argento
Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	DeepRed 66.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	369.0 KB
ID:	53082  

Vampyr (1932)
Runtime: 1 Hr 13 Mins
Production Company: Carl Theodor Dreyer-Filmproduktion
Distributed by Vereinigte Star-Film GmbH, Germany
Director: Carl Theodor Dreyer
Seven Votes
80 Points (25, 17, 16, 10, 5, 4, 3)
High Voter: @re93animator
Attachments

Name:	Vampyr 65.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	236.0 KB
ID:	53085  

Bride of Frankenstein is better than the original, but niether are as good as the book.

Interesting that Vampyr got more love that Bride. It's a great horror movie but I though due to a higher level of obscurity it would be lower than Bride if it got on at all. I only watched it for getting through a 30's horror movie that was on Youtube.

I’ve seen a couple Argento-films, but unfortunately Deep Red isn’t one of them. I haven’t got major interest in watching Argento flicks but this could be one I would watch because it’s so highly regarded and considered one of his very best...

I didn’t get around Vampyr though I did have it ready to watch and it was one I wanted to get in before turning in my list. Oh well...

I think this list will be filled with films where I’m like “I want to see that” or “I didn’t managed to see that in time” etc.

Bride of Frankenstein is better than the original, but niether are as good as the book...
Movies and books are very different experiences. Comparing them is like comparing water to ice or air to oxygen.

Seen all of the last four to make the list, but Vampyr was the only one to make my list.

Bride of Frankenstein
+
Jacob's Ladder

Deep Red

Vampyr

Vampyr was my venture into the films of Carl Theodor Dreyer and one of those film that moved from horror movies into arthouse territory. It has an exquisite use of shadows and its kind of an oddball film mixed in between silent and sound films.

My List:
10: Vampyr (1932) by Carl Th. Dreyer (#65)
25: Manden der tænkte ting (1969) by Jens Ravn (One pointer)

I didn't like Deep Red the first time but then loved it when I watched it for the recent Horror Hall of Fame. It's easily my favorite from director Argento.

I thought Vampyr was just ok and is my least favorite of I believe 3 movies I've seen from that director.

2. The Devil's Rejects (#74)
5. Kill List (No Show)
8. The Last House on the Left (#90)
9. Near Dark (No Show)
10. Deep Red (#66)
22. Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde (#84)

I finally got around to watching Deep Red for the Countdown after its inclusion in a Hall of Fame that I was creeping on, but not actively participating in. I thought the cinematography was fantastic, but it's not really my brand of horror, so it didn't make my list. I'm not a huge fan of giallo films in particular, and the more slasher-like they are, the less interested I am.

Vampyr is a film that, for years, I wasn't sure whether I'd actually seen or not. Images looked incredibly familiar, but I couldn't remember anything about the film at all. I made sure to put it high on my watch list for the Countdown. It also has great visuals and some interesting shot compositions, but I did struggle with its pacing at times. It didn't make my list either.

Seen: 27/36
My List: 3

02. Re-Animator (1985) - #88
17. The Wailing (2016) - #69
18. It Follows (2014) - #78
25. The Void (2016) - DNP/1 Pointers List

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
Vampyr is Dreyer's primitive, creepy nightmare of a fright flick. Deep Red is Argento in mad slasher mode, with elegant visuals and a Goblin score, building this mystery thriller slowly but it certainly works up its share of frissons. I consider it his best film. After watching it, Hitchcock said "This young Italian guy is starting to worry me." Considered both but they didn't make it.

The Bride Of Frankenstein (1935), Army Of Darkness (1992), and The Invisible Man (1933) are three movies impacting me in similar ways right now in that they're films which are pretty lighthearted in nature. Claude Rains' Dr. Jack Griffin brings the best mean streak of the trio, and I've always been charmed by the simple cinematic trick it plays of a man who turns out unseeable... who craves to crack the greatest secrets, to walk into the gold vaults of the nations, into the secrets of kings. Also that it is Claude Rains brings the persona its force, and for that, of the three, I prefer The Invisible Man. The standout of The Bride Of Frankenstein to my recollection are the makeup FX by Jack Pierce, and that the film takes on the traits of a love story both with Dr. Henry Frankenstein and his fiancée Elizabeth, as well as for his Monster with Henry and his former mentor Pretorius reviving the ill-fated Bride. I'm less into the sequels of The Evil Dead films than I once was, ten years ago I was big on Evil Dead II (1987) more a hard-split between horror and comedy, less so with Army Of Darkness (1992)- leaning heavily fantasy and comedy, though still an appealing and engaging viewing purely for Bruce Campbell. Haven't seen either of these three films in at least five years, didn't give them sincere consideration for my vote.

Deep Red (1975) A lot more in my recent enthusiasm-zone for horror viewings, catching it last year as a giallo addition to the Slash Vault. It's about the musician Marcus, (David Hemmings) he witnesses the murder of an acclaimed magician who could read people's thoughts. Marcus gets together with Gianna (Daria Nicolodi), a determined female reporter, to explore the savage butchering by a black-gloved psycho! Marcus, a British music teacher who starts out as unusually wary, develops into a compelling detective alongside the sassy Gianna. A treat for horror-lovers thanks to its inventive visual style, spine-chilling Italian atmosphere, tie-ins for admirers of blood-soaked art (pick me! pick me!), and rad music by rock group Goblin. Sorry Siddon for slighting it in the Horror Hall Of Fame II (we kinda had a rivalry), I do like the movie, plus it still won that. I had Deep Red at #24 on my list, since, of what I've watched so far, it's one of my top three favorite Italian horror movies!

25 Favorite Horror Movies by Nostromo87

11. Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde (1931)
13. Friday The 13th Part III (1982)
14. Zombieland (2009)
24. Deep Red (1975)

Profondo Rosso by Goblin

Attachments

Name:	DeepRed.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	223.3 KB
ID:	53097  

Vampyr is creepy and atmospheric and a tripped out film. I had it at #23.

My List:

4. Invasion of the Body Snatchers (#70)
11. Diabolique (#75)
17. Bride of Frankenstein (#68)
18. Antichrist (#82)
23. Vampyr (#65)
25. Of Unknown Origin (1-pointer)

Had Deep Red at #14. It's probably my favorite giallo though I'd need to rewatch the closest competition at some point to be sure (especially as Deep Red got significantly better on rewatch). Great visuals, great score and surprisingly solid script for a giallo. I watched Vampyr about a year ago and wrote somewhat negative review of it. Since the viewing it's started to feel better and I'm wondering if it was just a wrong day for such a dreamlike film. Will need to rewatch at some point.

Seen: 29/36

My list so far...

7. Ginger Snaps (2000) - 91st
12. The Beyond (1981) - 93rd
14. Deep Red (1975) - 66th
21. Dog Soldiers (2002) - 94th
25. Lemora: A Child's Tale of the Supernatural (1973) - 1 pointer