Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

I swore off of Jess Franco movies for a year. Lasted about two months. However, if ever there were a story that would work well with Franco's MO (sex and violence) it would be Jack the Ripper, the serial killer who mutilates prostitutes. While not a stylish masterpiece it is one of the best Jess Franco movies I've ever seen mostly because it attempts to have a plot. That and Klaus, who looks like he's really having a blast with this one. Obviously, with a Ripper story line, there's plenty of sex and violence along with the other Franco staples: seriously bad dialogue, awful acting, terrible dubbing and dated gore fx.

Judy in that cut-off tux doing "Get Happy" is worth the price of admission alone. This movie was made during one of the unhappiest periods of Judy's life. Shortly after completing the film, she tried to commit suicide and was fired from MGM. The "Get Happy" number was actually filmed six months after the rest of the film was completed...TPTB felt the movie needed a stronger finale. Judy lost 25 pounds during the six month interim and you can tell. As unhappy as Judy was, it never shows onscreen.

Southern Comfort 1981

Solid thriller in a very creepy environment and atmosphere, with a memorable bad-ass performance by Powers Boothe. Although released in 1981,
to me it still looked, felt, and sounded very much like a late 70's movie somehow.

Excellent movie that I rather wish I had watched twice, but now I’ve mailed it back to Netflix.

Also would have helped to Wiki the plot summary first as it’s a spy thriller by John le Carré, whose books aren’t always easy to follow.

Excellent acting especially from PSH.

"Honor is not in the Weapon. It is in the Man"

: Writer-director Michael K. Feinstein's comedic and realistic look at the world of dating apps as it pertains to a group of friends and how it will affect their relationships. It's a pretty good film that has its share of laughs in terms of one particular character and his way attempt to overcome his breakup with his longtime girlfriend, but there is also a sense of reality as it pertains to a currently engaged couple.

Rewatched these recently

Chinatown (1974) 5/5

Dressed To Kill (1980) 4/5

Cape Fear (1991) 3.5.5

Transsiberian (2009) 2.5/5

The Coming of Sin (1978)

Erotic thriller (or something) Eurotrash. Looks good, has great soundtrack, shows lots of skin and some odd stuff too. A little too Harlequin-like (or Emmanuelle) for my tastes but surprisingly fine.

Stray (2019)

Fantasy thriller about a detective and young girl who's mother was murdered. Not the most inventive film out there but does its job. Another positive surprise.

Shazam (2019)

Not as good as I'd hoped, as it felt like a lot of the funny parts were in the trailers. There were still notable funny parts not in the trailers though, but did the movie dragged on a bit too long. The story had some good elements, but it didn't pull together in the end like a lot of these movies tend to.

Jeremiah Johnson 1972

Adventure | Drama | Western | 1h 48 min
Starring Robert Redford, Will Geer, Delle Bolton | Directed by Sydney Pollack
Based on the book 'Crow Killer: The Saga of Liver-Eating Johnson'.

Technicolor, Panorama-vision, great cinematography shot on location in Utah accompanied by a beautiful score by John Rubinstein and sung by Tim McIntire.
(The film starts with a 2 min. musical overture, and halfway there's a 2 min. musical intermission)

Redford with one of his best performances. A classic tale about; MAN, nature, survival, life, love, friendship, death, loss, revenge. A real total package film, earning a spot on my all-time 250 list. This movie is what the eyebrow waxing boys generation of today needs right now.

Trivia:
'The role of Jeremiah Johnson was originally intended for Lee Marvin and then Clint Eastwood, with Sam Peckinpah to direct. However, Peckinpah and Eastwood did not get along, so Peckinpah left and Eastwood decided to make Dirty Harry instead.'

Triple Frontier

Hellloooo Cindy - Scary Movie (2000)
The meg

No even dumb fun! Jason Statham is a very bad actor - he’s a poor mans van damme. Ffs this is crap. A production budget of 130 million.

Did it bring joy to peoples lives by distracting them from the sad reality’s of life such as Jason Statham being paid multiple millions to sleep walk through a movie made in a computer and written by a Siri while they work hard 5 days a week or more trying to raise a family and put food on the table and then their kids see this cool trailer about this cgi giant shark and ask to see the movie and what money you had in reserve is used to buy tickets and you see Statham in 3D and he’s seemingly on methadone. Ffs. Life is cruel.

These movie are meant to distract you not draw your attention to Statham and his millions.

.5 of a star out of 5

Boldly going.
7/10.
I struggled with whether to see this or Pet Semetary (a remake of one of my favourite movies) or Dumbo (also a remake of a movie I love). I went with the story I haven't seen yet. I don't regret my decision, but I wonder if the other movies would have been better. I feel like I'd already seen the best parts of Shazam from the trailers. I find comedies get less-funny the more I see them, and I felt like the jokes in this movie were already old by the time I'd actually watched it.