MoFo Top 100 Horror Movies: The List

→ in
Tools    

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
Has anyone really seen the invisible man? LOL.
Surprised it took so long for this joke to arrive.
I, on the other hand, didn't see it coming

While the horror elements were what I liked the most about Annihilation, I didn't consider it for my list. For films that were more on the fence when it came to genre, I asked myself if horror was one of the first three things I'd describe it as, and Annihilation failed that test. I'd definitely mention the horror elements to someone who doesn't like horror films though.

I saw The Invisible Man a long time ago, but don't remember a whole lot about it. As I mentioned before, the older films were pretty much at the bottom of my rewatch list, so unfortunately I didn't get around to revisiting it for the Countdown.

Seen: 21/30
My List: 2

02. Re-Animator (1985) - #88
18. It Follows (2014) - #78
25. The Void (2016) - DNP/1 Pointers List

I'm surprised Annihilation got on. It just missed getting on my top 25 by a few places, but I thought I'd be one of only a few people to take it into account.

Great movie. It needs better music and more character, but great movie otherwise. It's kinda like Stalker, what with the whole exploring another world/dimension/thing and the psychological background.

The Strong Symbols and Big Personalities who brought terror, gore, beauty, blood, entertainment and style to my late-night movie viewings. Authentic settings, being at a camp site in the woods, or in the neighborhood where babysitters try to sneak away from their house responsibilities to party, or a trip to a cabin deep in the mountains.

It's Dracula and Barbara Steele

It's Peter Cushing, Vincent Price, and Christopher Lee

It's Tom Savini with his savage gore and monster effects

It's Elvira, Horror Hostess of old schlock B-movies and her Halloween TV Specials from the 1980s, as well as her own films Elvira, Mistress Of The Dark (1988) and Elvira's Haunted Hills (2001).

It's all the symbolic Halloween killers- Leatherface and Jigsaw and Chucky and Candyman and lots more

It's Heather Langenkamp, Wes Craven, and all his movies.

Pretty tired but I'll get today's films up shortly.
- Happy April Fool's Day! - Nostromo87
Don't have any mindbending earthshattering pranks, decided to make this look like a Horror thread instead.

Sidney's Theme

Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	What Horror Movies Are To Me 1.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	55.9 KB
ID:	52885   Click image for larger version

Name:	DBS.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	109.9 KB
ID:	52886   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cushing Price Lee.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	40.5 KB
ID:	52887   Click image for larger version

Name:	Savini.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	159.5 KB
ID:	52888   Click image for larger version

Name:	Elvira01.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	14.5 KB
ID:	52889  

Name:	CravenLangenkamp.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	36.6 KB
ID:	52890   Click image for larger version

Name:	GF1.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	20.8 KB
ID:	52891  

Invasion Of The Body Snatchers (1956)
Runtime: 1 Hr 20 Mins
Production Company: Walter Wanger Productions
Distributed by Allied Artists Pictures
Director: Don Siegel
Production Budget: $416,911
Box Office: $3,000,000
Four Votes
74 Points (22, 22, 16, 14)
High Voter: @Kaplan , @Daniel M
Attachments

Name:	Invasion Of The Body Snatchers 70.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	281.5 KB
ID:	52893  

The Wailing (2016)
Runtime: 2 Hrs 36 Mins
Production Company: Side Mirror
Distributed by 20th Centry Fox Korea
Director: Na Hong-jin
Production Budget: $8,000,000
Box Office: $51,300,000
Six Votes
75 Points (22, 14, 12, 9, 9, 9)
High Voter: @BraedenG33
Attachments

Name:	The Wailing 69.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	75.8 KB
ID:	52894  

Well I was wrong; there is a movie that's shown up that I haven't seen. The Wailing is already on my watchlist and I'll catch it within the next week.

I like the original Body Snatchers as well as the remake, but I didn't vote for either.

The Wailing (2016)
Runtime: 2 Hrs 36 Mins
Production Company: Side Mirror
Distributed by 20th Centry Fox Korea
Director: Na Hong-jin
Production Budget: $8,000,000
Box Office: $51,300,000
Six Votes
75 Points (22, 14, 12, 9, 9, 9)
High Voter: @BraedenG33
Just recommended this one to Wrinklemind in the Korean cinema thread a couple of days ago. It's a detective puzzle horror story, hard to put together after one watch, needed a youtube explanation video for this one, not your average horror. Didn't vote for it, but nice to see it made the list.

My original list included three movies that had also been on my science fiction list but I decided I would cut them ... only I just couldn't cut Invasion of the Body Snatchers. It's every bit as much horror as it is science fiction, and so I had it at #4. The 70s version is also great, but nothing beats the original. (And I can't believe it didn't get more votes.)

My List:

4. Invasion of the Body Snatchers (#70)
11. Diabolique (#75)
18. Antichrist (#82)
25. Of Unknown Origin (1-pointer)

I mean, I’ve invaded a body’s snatch before but never seen this film. Too much? Sorry, it’s late here. Don’t blame me. Blame, uh, I don’t know... Sexy Celebrity. That usually works.

Not seen The Weiling though I have it on my watchlist and want to see it.

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
been AGES since I've since Body Snatchers and my room mate MAY have seen Wailing, but I have not.

BTW, pretty cool descriptive of what's horror to you, @Nostromo87

Films Watched: 16 out of 32
#17 Sinister (#76)
#20 The Devil's Backbone (#89)
#21 Dr Jekyll & Mr Hyde (#84)
#22 Theatre of Blood (#103)
#23 Re-Animator (#88)

The original Invasion of the Body Snatchers is a pretty cool film, it almost was quite a different film but studio execs demanded cuts, read on...

Invasion of the Body Snatchers (Don Siegel,1956)

The 1956 version originally had lots of dry humor in it, but the studio executives would not allow humor in a horror film so they ordered all the humor scenes cut. That's probably why the film is so short at only 80 minutes.

According to some who worked on the film, the story line came out of the fear of McCarthyism. No doubt the film and those associated with it might have faced 'black listing' had they been too overt in their satire commentary. One can only wonder what the film would have been like with it's dry humor scenes left intact.

With some scenes deleted, the film seems a bit odd at times. One almost gets the sense that the film wants to be like a Dr. Strangelove, and perhaps it was at one time. What we do get is stuff like the scene where they first discover a half formed duplicate, and it's left laying covered up on the pool table in a home. When the doctor gets there, he looks at it and the women are scared....then, they all retire to the living room for martinis! Ha! We can actually see the body laying on the table as they calmly have drinks.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
Invasion of the Body Snatchers, a B+ sci-fi/horror flick released in the year of my birth, is a stripped-down paranoid thriller, where your friends and neighbors aren't so much dumbed-down as they are turned into unemotional inhuman beings. Back in the day, it was a belated response to McCarthyism (Joseph, not Kevin), but I think it plays out better as pure horror/sci-fi than a political commentary. The cast does quite well, and Kevin McCarthy and King Donovan have probably never been better. When the pods and "pre-humans" start showing up, your skin will probably crawl. For some reason, I've never fully embraced this version, but it's great filmmaking and took director Siegel to another level from his usual action flicks heretofore. I recommend this one, but I like Phil Kaufman's remake even better. Oh, yeah; remember, "You're next! You're next! You're next!" I didn't have it or The Wailing on my list though both are solid.

Invasion of the Body Snatchers, a B+ sci-fi/horror flick released in the year of my birth, is a stripped-down paranoid thriller, where your friends and neighbors aren't so much dumbed-down as they are turned into unemotional inhuman beings. Back in the day, it was a belated response to McCarthyism (Joseph, not Kevin), but I think it plays out better as pure horror/sci-fi than a political commentary. The cast does quite well, and Kevin McCarthy and King Donovan have probably never been better. When the pods and "pre-humans" start showing up, your skin will probably crawl. For some reason, I've never fully embraced this version, but it's great filmmaking and took director Siegel to another level from his usual action flicks heretofore. I recommend this one, but I like Phil Kaufman's remake even better. Oh, yeah; remember, "You're next! You're next! You're next!" I didn't have it or The Wailing on my list though both are solid.

I think invasion of the Body Snatchers shows you the loss of substance in a lot of horror cinema these days. You have remakes in the 70's and the 90's that both shifted the story to match current political concerns but these days it would probably end up as a bland generic cash in.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
I rewatched both versions of Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1956 and 1978) for this countdown. They're both good movies, and I thought the 1956 version was better than the 1978 version, but neither movie made my list.

I haven't seen, (or heard of), The Wailing.